Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
starwatersong
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

That art above? 👌

knq
lava lamp

I am pleased to have spread the good word of the love seal. <3 (Except less disturbing sounding.)

April 1st will be the 98th day since the last DAPG video. April 3rd will be the 100th. (Missing her ._.) I have no idea whether to anticipate a prank of some kind or not.

Has anyone else found that viewing Dan's face in these Dan-less times has healing properties?
I mean.
I mean.
kavat
pastel persona

The seal video is a bit odd, but I'm not mad about it. Facebook is trying to get more creators, so this seems like a low effort, low stakes video for Phil to try the platform and combine it with a Firebox spon. :ourmoney:
knq wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:31 am
Has anyone else found that viewing Dan's face in these Dan-less times has healing properties?
I mean.
I mean.
Yes, very much. Thank you for starting my morning off right.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

The yawning video was fun, bit over dramatic but the silver text was a good effect. I managed not to yawn despite watching it with the lights off as I was about to go to sleep, but then I yawned as it ended :shrug: good try, Phil. I remember them saying at summer in the city 2017 that Facebook video would be a thing, but I guess he didn’t have so much time to be jumping into it back then.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I don’t know if Phil is in this camp, but I have a number of YouTuber friends that Facebook has offered signficant amounts of money to upload videos to their platform- more than Adsense on a non-viral video. They don’t even require exclusivity, literally they are desperate to be seen as a creator-friendly platform and are throwing money at the problem.
liola
rankussy

plinthofmylife wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:46 am I don’t know if Phil is in this camp, but I have a number of YouTuber friends that Facebook has offered signficant amounts of money to upload videos to their platform- more than Adsense on a non-viral video. They don’t even require exclusivity, literally they are desperate to be seen as a creator-friendly platform and are throwing money at the problem.
I was about to say, I don't find it weird at all that Phil did something for Facebook. It's a low effort content with no real brain behind it but it gains him engagement, makes it feel like he differentiate on platforms and allows him to get a mild sponsorship and some money from Facebook. It's not a coincidence that a lot of youtubers are trying to get some traction on Facebook, the platform is desperate to get creators back on it and redeem itself from the bad reputation it's gained over the years. I don't see anything bad about it :shrug:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

knq wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:31 am
I mean.
I mean.
Yes. Thank you, I need this today
:gayaf:
noodlebum
flower crown

Yeah Louise has been promoting Facebook a lot recently, with a book club and exclusive videos, plus attending Facebook events and doing stuff with them on instagram.

I just thought the editing didn't seem very Phil? Maybe it's because it's not the sort of video he's done recently, I don't know...

Also that second photo above is adorable :sunshine:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Time for the next part of our IDB Watch Fest, and today's topic... doesn't involve a lot of watching, haha.

Theme: Post-baking universe vs The Dark Era
░░░ Today's Topic: The video that must not be named

Disclaimer: For obvious reasons, we're not posting the actual video. If you haven't watched it, feel free to weigh in based on what you think and know!

> Prank or real? What are your thoughts about it? > If “real”...explain the rationality in the way they reacted vs. fandom’s reactions. Was it justified? > If a video similar to this would be leaked today, how do you think Dan and Phil would react?

Previous Topics:
........Fandom culture throughout the years...
........People’s perception of Daniel Howell and Phil Lester
........Sexuality
........Opinions about their relationship with each other
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I’ll have a think about the new questions! But first...

Have I mentioned how much I appreciate Phil? Because I appreciate Phil a lot. When I saw his selfie story yesterday I was just overcome with fondness for him. :happytears:

I was a little taken aback at how angry some people were about his Facebook vid - I wasn’t enormously jazzed by it or anything, but I wasn’t, like, offended. The vid’s fine; good on him for diversifying if that’s what he wants to do. It’s probably minimal effort for a decent return. (And I loved the seal pic on the last page!)

I noticed that Phil’s last video, the fizzy milk one, already has the most views of any vid he’s released so far this year (except for the very first one, Time for a Change, which is to be expected). Yay!

Re the question above, I’m not losing interest, although I almost wish I was so I could have some peace; as it is I ping-pong back and forth between how hopeful I feel vs how pessimistic; between ‘take your time, as long as you need, whenever you’re ready, it’s fine’ and ‘where are you? What are you doing? Whaaaaat are you doooooooing???’ constantly. (Though obviously the former is always true, that doesn’t mean that’s how I always feel about it.) Being new-ish to the fandom there’s still some stuff from their backlog(s) that I haven’t seen, which is nice - and it’s keeping me occupied - but obviously it’s not the same as new stuff/updates.

I wonder if either or both of them will be away this weekend? It’s Mother’s Day in the UK. (Not that we’d know about it if Dan was, I suppose.)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
phanfckingtastic
living flop
Pronouns: he/him

I can save the Resident Phanti some time with a disclaimer that yes they could be platonic buddies forever having lots of sex with people under nda’s and of course it’s a prank blahblah but since we know they lie all the time (not constantly, but many times over the years), and that this is a leaked video that was never intended for public consumption, it makes me deeply uncomfortable to bring it up again in 2019 as a light topic of discussion.

Of course I think the video is real because it’s been already analysed from every angle and given that I think Dan and Phil have been in a relationship since 2009, to me the sharing of the video is a dark part of the phandom. I choose to leave the vid alone because it makes me sick to even begin to imagine what they felt, what Phil in particular felt every time it leaked. Ugh, poor closeted babies. Awful.

Far from my intention to censor discussion, just wanted to express my first reaction about seeing such a private thing still be used as if it was another part of the entertainment content we get from dnp, when actually it’s material that we got without their consent.

I hope in the next few months we get a lot more content or something new, a definitive departure from this recent dnp era, so things like the v day video can finally be left in the past and we as fans move on to talk about other stuff. (I know it will
never go away completely, but in the phandom we are easily distracted lmao)
eternal dan and phil mood -> :happytears:
laurenbacall
delia smith

i feel like phil's taken on a lot of sponsorship stuff recently - i wonder why that is. you would have thought that all the touring last year (albeit expensive) would have brought in a solid income, as well as the usual video/merch money. maybe the absence of the gaming channel/dan is having a financial effect. maybe it's just capita£ester wanting to be richer. who knows
fancybum
senpai

I mean just because you made a lot of money one year, doesn’t mean you can just half-ass it the next. Or would want to, which is probably more relevant. Phil’s never really come off as someone who wants to do nothing, and diversifying income streams is always good (and that goes for everybody, not just YTers). That said, the facebook thing makes me cringe and I haven’t even watched it. He’s really not great at pretending to be casual lol- oh you just had that footage lying around? oh you just thought it would be fun? to put on facebook? Ugh.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Ablissa
pastel persona

phanfckingtastic wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:50 pm Far from my intention to censor discussion, just wanted to express my first reaction about seeing such a private thing still be used as if it was another part of the entertainment content we get from dnp, when actually it’s material that we got without their consent.
I can assure you we're not using it for entertainment. The point was to get some discussion going - I'm genuinely curious how the fans feel about it. It's been... 9 years since the video was made? I think it's okay to discuss it, but of course, if it makes you uncomfortable then I totally get it. <3

RE: Phil's fb video - I think it's okay that he made it. I'm always ~happy when they find new ways to make money, because ultimately, I want the best for them. I'm just surprised because it's a bit weird, and the video doesn't look very Phil - the editing and the font and all that, it's just a bit odd. But hey, whatever makes him a little extra money. Those expensive candles don't buy themselves.
(I do think they made a good amount of money on the tour and merch last year. But they most likely? don't have enough to retire now and keep up the same lifestyle forever.)
autumnhearth
senpai

My first reaction to the FB vid, besides it being on FB was that it didn’t feel very AP, but as it went on I changed my mind. Does anyone remember the last time that Phil made a video that was so tongue in cheek “EPIC”? The Super Amazing Project is all that is coming to mind.

Real? Yes. Justified? I don’t think we can possibly judge that. Present day leak? Idk, hopefully more calmly. Depends how old the original video was. Them saying it was a long time ago would carry more weight. But I still wouldn’t expect a flat out confirmation.

Related to the management advise convo awhile back, does anyone know when Hazel was their liaison or whatever she was?

Holy shit!

Oh baby... :’(
Last edited by autumnhearth on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
liola
rankussy

He is alive!!!

Last edited by alittledizzy on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed instagram embed
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
sonicgreen
woodland creature

he’s gorgeous, i love him, i miss him, but im glad hes taking his time
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

I hate the idea that Dan might have felt pressured to post something when he wasn’t really feeling like it, but this selfie and the stories have also instantly made my day. :D :D :D
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

And he followed it up with two ig stories. :love2:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

i kinda just wanna cradle him, looking at that photo.

it's nice to know he's up to posting again tho. and everything about that post feels honest.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

He gave me heart palpitations. I'm overreacting i guess but I could actually cry right now, I realised with full force that I miss him a lot.
:gayaf:
intoapuddle
spork

Dannnn, I'm emotional.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Beautiful boy, you can have ALL THE AFFIRMATION...

Meanwhile, mama Louise...

I’m not sure if he’s going for slightly tired or slightly sultry (or both), but I feel blessed by the post either way.
Last edited by Phantasy on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ablissa
pastel persona

He looks tired, but undoubtedly gorgeous. I hope he's okay and I hope that people can breathe a bit now (once we've all calmed down)
I really missed seeing him. <3

Edit to say: I think he might be going through a depressive episode, based on everything. This selfie does nothing to disprove that for me.
Last edited by Ablissa on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kavat
pastel persona

Oh Dan :( I'm guessing him posting is a good sign but he looks like someone who has had a rough time. I hope he gets some sunlight and a lot of hugs.