Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

(gif credit: skybars)

(gif credit: goodluckgettingtosleep)

(gif credit: louvrephil)

Please carry on 😎
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

I thought this video was phenomenal! I know it’s not the most original idea, but I found myself laughing about as much as I usually do during a gaming video, which really says something. This is definitely my favorite video of the year so far! Here are my highlights:
  • [0:21] While talking about waking up in the middle of the night with random questions on his mind, Phil shows a shot of him waking up in bed.
  • [1:13] Phil reveals that he googled “do furries have flaps?” on October 14, 2018. He says that he and Dan were talking about whether fursuits have flaps that can be opened to allow the people wearing them to go to the bathroom without taking them off. Apparently, it depends on the fursuit. At [1:51], Phil says:
    P: If I had one, I’d need a flap because I pee all the time. I’m jo--I’m peeing right now! No. Uh... I just think I’d want the opportunity to be able to pee.
  • [2:50] Phil reveals that he googled “Running in the cold burns lungs” on January 16, 2019. Now, let me think...who else that we all know and love took up running in January? 😏
  • [4:51] Phil reveals that he googled “Phil Lester” on June 3, 2018. Bad Phil! As a famous person, nothing good can come of googling yourself. His next search (on November 23, 2018) was for “vulgar wasp” because apparently another person named Phil Lester has published a book called The Vulgar Wasp.
  • [5:22] Phil reveals that he googled “ancient naked olympics” and “peach emoji” on December 18, 2018. He says this must have been “for a video.” Right… Okay, fine. There’s proof.
  • [5:32] Phil reveals that he googled “where is dominos the sizzler?” on December 28, 2018. Phil says that Dominos got rid of “The Sizzler” pizza the week after he and Dan filmed the mukbang last year. Then he actually asks people to tweet at Dominos to bring back “The Sizzler!” Unsurprisingly, Dominos responded:
  • [6:09] Phil reveals that there are like 500 “tweets” (Google searches) in his history for things like “VANS x NASA VOYAGER” on January 17, 2019. Phil says he didn’t make these searches, and he thinks Dan was on his laptop. The searches pertain to a pair of shoes that Phil asked for for his birthday that were apparently sold out everywhere. But Dan came through, found a pair, and gave them to Phil. ❤️ Phil then shows the shoes and gushes about them for about twenty seconds.
  • [7:20] Phil reveals that he googled “beaver anal gland vanilla” on March 2, 2018. Phil says that, apparently, vanilla is sometimes made out of the anal glands of beavers. He says that this is what we should be thinking about whenever we’re eating ice cream.
  • [7:41] Phil reveals that he googled “two bros chillin in a hot tub” on November 25, 2018. He says that he and Dan had a huge debate about whether it’s “two bros chillin’ in a hot tub five feet apart” or “two bros chillin’ in a hot tub six feet apart.” Phil was on team “five feet apart,” while Dan was on team “six feet apart.” Apparently, “five feet apart” is correct. Phil says he won all of Dan’s wealth for winning this debate. (Side note: I totally missed Phil saying this when I first watched the video, and I can’t stop laughing now!)
  • [7:59] Phil reveals that he googled “funny dancing kid” on March 13, 2018. He says that he performed this search to find a video clip, which he then shows. At [8:10], he says, “Me and Dan are obsessed with this kid.”
  • [9:35] While staying seated, Phil leans forward and the words, “Is there one in this drawer? Yeah.” can be heard, indicating that there’s something with drawers sitting right in front of Phil’s filming space.
  • Phil continues to be consistent in listing all three versions of the AmazingPhil merch shop at the top of the video description and listing the Dan and Phil Shop with his social media links.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
lionandllama
squish

In the other thread someone wondered why he included the shot of himself in bed and I wondered that, too, because he so easily just could’ve talked about that incident without re-enacting it (because it was literally just a second of a scene).
I thought he did it purposefully to show he’s fully moved on from the old AP branding and the fake bedroom, to (not-so-)subtly tell everyone “Hey, y’know, the old AP room wasn’t where I really slept”.
No opinion yet on wether it was his real bed in a room we haven’t seen in the living flat yet or a guest room bed (or a couch?). But it’s nice to see he doesn’t pretend to sleep in the other bed anymore.
noodlebum
flower crown

I agree, the bed shot was a clear point of him moving on from that bedding etc. that's been part of his brand and background for so long.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ablissa
pastel persona

Dan is out there, getting everyone's hopes up.
And he's running still: Lots of replies. It's nice to see him talking to us.
Last edited by Ablissa on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Ablissa wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:48 pm Dan is out there, getting everyone's hopes up.
And he's running still:
Dan? Responding to people?

Talking about waking up from hibernation and going on runs???

There is joy emanating from my SOUL. I feel refreshed. Brand new. Like the sun has risen after a long night.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Someone help me... I can't handle this Howie Mandel thing :rofl: (listen to it)
sonicgreen
woodland creature

dan liking positive cat memes gives me life
intoapuddle
spork

Ablissa wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:56 pm Someone help me... I can't handle this Howie Mandel thing :rofl: (listen to it)
there's such a sinister energy to this i can't stop laughing
alien
procrastinator

intoapuddle wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:29 pm
Ablissa wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:56 pm Someone help me... I can't handle this Howie Mandel thing :rofl: (listen to it)
there's such a sinister energy to this i can't stop laughing
you're so right. idk what this thing is about or how twitter phannies got involved but it's hilarious.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I feel slightly weird seeing the phandom used by a large corporation to promote a show, but also, we need things to do. So sure. Whatever.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Why am I in tears over this? "Alright phannies" :rofl:
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Ablissa
pastel persona

plinthofmylife wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:54 pm I feel slightly weird seeing the phandom used by a large corporation to promote a show, but also, we need things to do. So sure. Whatever.
I mean, yeah, of course he's using the phandom (for whatever reason) to promote his show. But like you said, whatever. It's pretty hilarious and I'm sure the phandom must have approached him first, because I doubt that he watches Dan and Phil himself.
As long as these people are not told to pay for something, I think it's pretty okay. At least on my tl everyone involved is having fun with it.
EDIT to add: this is of course just my opinion - it doesn't personally bother me, but I'm not saying it can't bother you or anybody else.
glitterintheair wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:56 pm Why am I in tears over this? "Alright phannies" :rofl:
Right? Me too :rofl: :rofl:

Can someone tell me what fandom is 'cowards' supposed to be? Is that also TØP?
kavat
pastel persona

I had to google Howie Mandel and why people found it so funny :scram: It's always weird to see mainstream media people acknowledge fandoms, and especially to drive engagement on social media.

Dan also liked this I love his support for Brockhampton but a list without FACE is an incomplete one.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

kavat wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:03 pm Dan also liked this I love his support for Brockhampton but a list without FACE is an incomplete one.
I want a dan liveshow dedicated only to brockhampton, I want to know his opinions and favorite tracks, daniel pleaseeee.

But yes, how dare they not include FACE? And also MILK (aka my fave)? I am side-eyeing this list.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

~My thoughts on Phil's vid. I liked his video, it was a pretty typical Phil video to me. Light-hearted, mildly entertaining, but lacking the touch of personality and topical depth that I like so much in Dan's video's. That said It's nice to have at least one source of content. I do like the subtly more Phil and less 'Amazing'Phil tone he strikes in his last video's. I dislike the spon, but have to say he did integrate it pretty well. Both spons :lol:

I do find the change I've seen him bring so far pretty underwhelming. You can't really call the concepts original. They are literal retakes on the video's he's done before, and they aren't really that different. What's next: Phil support group nr. 9 ? ;)
Props to Phil for making a nice video, I find it very well executed and the long text message was a nice little glitch in the fourth wall that i found pretty funny. But I'm all for him diversifying in the kind of video's he makes. Why not a vlog of a trip or something? Or a room tour, now you've showed you bed and the fandom has been analyzing your set and living spaces like no time before anyway .

~the voice: is Phil's, can't agree with team yanny or laurel

~the bed: probably just Phil's bed, in Phil's room, which I wouldn't find remarkable at all since I'd expect Phil to have a room. There's no way to verify, but the guest room theory doesn't have any basis for me :shrug: ?

~Dan might slowly come out of hibernation. Is he alien? Is he predator? Is he the mindflayer out Stranger things s3? I'm keeping some loaded d20 dice near just in case. I'm happy he returned with a political tweet, even though I'm a bit saddened whenever he suggests that the end times are to be welcomed.
As a bit of a public Corbynista i would have hoped him to voice support for the position switch of Corbyn for a second Brexit referendum, but maybe throwing yourself in the lion's pit while you're still defrosting is not the best move ;)
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
autumnhearth
senpai

New Phil merch poll on insta.
I like the idea of playing off of normalness leads to sadness and the doodles, but I do hope it’s really a rough draft.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

@autumnhearth i agree. on the whole, i don't love these designs. i stand by my original opinion that the wingdings/symbols are weird and irrelevant (sorry to anyone who loves them).

and what is that drawing on the chest? am i missing something?

the normalness bit is def the best part.

ETA: I will say I love how sassy he is in the last insta story. He is not amused by our 50/50 game. :lol:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Awww Phil, I'm sorry but I don't like these. Remove the doodle on the chest and drop the wingdings. Leave the normalness bit on the sleeve and it will be nice. Oh, and a darker colour might look better.
Not that he'll read this... but yeah. Definitely not the best merch he's made, I hope he will reconsider.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Well, he did say that it's a VERY rough draft
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I would wear that doodle on a black fitted t-shirt. Which isn't Phil's aesthetic at all, but I just mean, I think the doodle would be cute by itself. Actually, enamel pins of the doodle would be really cute too. (But I'm definitely a pin collector, for dice bag decor purposes.)
noodlebum
flower crown

Wasn't really a fan or 'normalness' or the wingdings. I like the pastel colours though. Maybe a lilac?
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Oh, Howie Mandel leveraging fandoms and other words he’s seen, idk where he got ‘cowards’ from, I’ve only seen people say that to the guys in the hopes of pressuring them for things (I may be missing some nuance, I am not down with the kids). He did say a while ago he’s putting together a book of all the memes he was tweeted about something, so yeah he’s happy to sell!

Phil’s ig page has a useful feature that I didn’t see open before, he might see some feedback. I’m all for darker colours and the normalness, I don’t mind wingdings but they make so much less sense to anyone just seeing it without context. The cat is from the doodle pad, I forgot and could only think of Pinof whiskers for a moment.

And oh, Bilbo the cat! He’s named as a trans rights activist in a parliament document about Hbomberguy’s stream for Mermaids (via his owner, but he got included in it I guess cos she runs an account as him)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Looks like people started giving activity to a 2008 tweet and Phil deleted it - the one about sending a dream into the universe? Man, I really wish people would just.... leave the old stuff alone. Screenshot if you wanna share it. They definitely see anything that suddenly gets spammed with likes and retweets, and Phil especially is ruthless with deleting. (I say Phil especially because I think Dan has deleted a lot anyway. It's Phil that still has some gems out there that disappear when people notice them.)