Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

liola wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:30 pm
lilabet wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:15 pm I am not sure I want this. Will I watch it through my fingers anyway? Yes.
Wait what is everyone talking about, I'm confused? I mean that video isnt anything new? Also monetisation is already back, damn youtube works fast but Phil's angry DMs work faster
I was terrified for a second that it was actually Milk Fic related, but it’s just The Hand. Whew. Oops top of the page must add context. Lol Liola.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noodlebum
flower crown

How have I never seen that video before? :? That'll have to be watched later on
scientia
phabergé

obsessivelymoody wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:09 am
scientia wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:53 am
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:48 am
Snowboy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:49 pm
liola wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:28 pm Obviously Phil's mpreg fantasy have finally become real which is why we've only seen his upper half, and the video is going to be "I try to breastfeed for the first time (emotional)"
No, no, DAN is the one that's pregnant and he hasn't been filming videos lately because the morning sickness has utterly wiped the floor with him :lol: . His comeback video will involve him announcing his new line of maternity wear merch. (Or would that be paternity wear?)
At this point, I'd take it.

In other news: Dan unfollowed Felix. Finally. Now your turn, Phil.
On the subject of following, I noticed today that only Phil follows crabstickz, not Dan...has that always been a thing and I've just never noticed until now?
Dan does follow Chris? At least twitter is telling me he does. Maybe it was a glitch?

And yeah tbh, Phil, clean up your feed dude (and Jimmy, Jenna and Julien. And Safiya. Maybe I shouldn't have checked lol)

On the topic of the mysterious milk video, maybe Phil was trying to demonstrate his nightly 3 hour milk-soaking session as he finally decided to let us in on his marvellous skincare routine.
Oops sorry, I meant Dan doesn’t follow Chris on instagram!
starwatersong
phabergé

:gift: :rainbow: <3 Happy first demonetization of a video to Phil! <3 :rainbow: :gift: :rainbowsparkle: :rainbowsparkle:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Loved Phil’s story this morning - legit made me lol so good job Philip.

As far as the unfollowing on twitter it’s a step but I’m reserving the right to give them props until Dan unfollows on Instagram (he was active yesterday liking pictures) and until Phil unfollows on both. I wouldn’t be angry if they didn’t - just disappointed in their taste in YT friends.

But since we are talking about twitter - Dan has been following a lot of twitter accounts for games - he just followed Apex legends, he’s followed a few gaming twitters a few weeks ago for another game, etc. I wonder if that’s what he’s doing with his time or if it’s somehow related to atf and their future gaming content. If it was and Dan was the only one involved w/out the gaming channel coming back I wonder how that would be received
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:36 pmBut since we are talking about twitter - Dan has been following a lot of twitter accounts for games - he just followed Apex legends, he’s followed a few gaming twitters a few weeks ago for another game, etc. I wonder if that’s what he’s doing with his time or if it’s somehow related to atf and their future gaming content. If it was and Dan was the only one involved w/out the gaming channel coming back I wonder how that would be received
I have a hard time imagining Dan being involved in what atf seems to be billing as local gaming events. I could be wrong, since we don't really know what the makeup of that will be, but Dan also doesn't seem like he'd be the best fit? I mean Dan and Phil had a very personality based gaming channel, and played almost no actual contemporary popular games or if they did they played them for a span of 15-30 minutes then never revisited.

I'm also wondering if atf themselves would like... be able to afford Dan and Phil, tbh. Unless Dan and Phil just have a strong emotional connection and/or it was some sort of profit splitting venture.
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:44 pm
Amiaw wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:36 pmBut since we are talking about twitter - Dan has been following a lot of twitter accounts for games - he just followed Apex legends, he’s followed a few gaming twitters a few weeks ago for another game, etc. I wonder if that’s what he’s doing with his time or if it’s somehow related to atf and their future gaming content. If it was and Dan was the only one involved w/out the gaming channel coming back I wonder how that would be received
I have a hard time imagining Dan being involved in what atf seems to be billing as local gaming events. I could be wrong, since we don't really know what the makeup of that will be, but Dan also doesn't seem like he'd be the best fit? I mean Dan and Phil had a very personality based gaming channel, and played almost no actual contemporary popular games or if they did they played them for a span of 15-30 minutes then never revisited.

I'm also wondering if atf themselves would like... be able to afford Dan and Phil, tbh. Unless Dan and Phil just have a strong emotional connection and/or it was some sort of profit splitting venture.
What do you mean "afford and and phil"? From what I understand about atf venturing into the gaming world, Dan could be an actual good fit as a speaker/presenter and generally face of it - after all, besides his own gaming channel he did present actual Esport documentaries for the BBC, is involved in the gaming world himself as a player and a consumer. He wouldn't be a BAD fit if he were to be involved as a presenter, and if they were to create events with priced tickets his name could bring in some numbers which Im assuming would give him a cut of £££.

Not that I'm really expecting him to be involved (or for this gaming thing to be an actual reality but that's my own thoughts on gaming in itself) but I'm genuinely confused by what you mean with affording
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
noodlebum
flower crown

They don't play many 'proper videogames' on their gaming channel, but they do both play a lot in private, so it wouldn't surprise me with one or both of them had something to do with these gaming events
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:28 pm

What do you mean "afford and and phil"? From what I understand about atf venturing into the gaming world, Dan could be an actual good fit as a speaker/presenter and generally face of it - after all, besides his own gaming channel he did present actual Esport documentaries for the BBC, is involved in the gaming world himself as a player and a consumer. He wouldn't be a BAD fit if he were to be involved as a presenter, and if they were to create events with priced tickets his name could bring in some numbers which Im assuming would give him a cut of £££.

Not that I'm really expecting him to be involved (or for this gaming thing to be an actual reality but that's my own thoughts on gaming in itself) but I'm genuinely confused by what you mean with affording
Yeah, it's just the money thing. Like, would there be a cut of money for him to even take? Without knowing what shape this is gonna take I'm just not super confident in it. I've followed a few people/companies who tried concepts like this and they all operated at a loss and ultimately tanked, so can atf afford to still pay Dan as a presenter if their financial situation is already precarious (just basing that guess on their recent loss/cutting of staff and clients) and this is a new and risky venture? I know they have a professional relationship with him, but he's their client not their employee, so I feel like his presenting fee would still be hefty.

But there are a lot of question marks about it, this is literally all just speculation.
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:06 pm
liola wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:28 pm

Yeah, it's just the money thing. Like, would there be a cut of money for him to even take? Without knowing what shape this is gonna take I'm just not super confident in it. I've followed a few people/companies who tried concepts like this and they all operated at a loss and ultimately tanked, so can atf afford to still pay Dan as a presenter if their financial situation is already precarious (just basing that guess on their recent loss/cutting of staff and clients) and this is a new and risky venture? I know they have a professional relationship with him, but he's their client not their employee, so I feel like his presenting fee would still be hefty.

But there are a lot of question marks about it, this is literally all just speculation.
Well it really depends on the situation but usually there's sponsors that cover a lot of the costs and provide the funds to at least not let it be a complete loss (or at least this is how it should be). It also depends a lot on the kind of contract they stipulate because an agent-client relationship isn't always the same tbh

But yes in theory Dan would take a cut as payment for whatever role he takes on and the rest could either be profit for the agency, enough to cover the costs or else - it really is impossible to tell until it's more clear what's going to be like

Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

@the Felix unfollow by Dan. Well i'm not angry, but would be disappointed at Dan if his unfollow would be related to him agreeing with the discourse that Felix was an active supporter of the white supremacy movement. As I don't think that's a fair assessment of Felix at all (though I disagree with his choice to let some of alt right figures -among others- host some of his clips. So hopefully Dan's a more nuanced thinker than some of the fairly dogmatic leftist youtubers and slacktivists that shout so loud on social media.

@Dan as a game presenter. Much as I would love to see him play and present real games more, I agree that the type of video's he made on DAPG games wouldn't necessarily appeal to a more passionate gaming crowd and that aside from the e-sports documentary he hasn't really proven his merit as.. a game commentator? Or whatever 'atf' is and would need presenters for.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
liola
rankussy

And I'm disappointed that someone in this forum doesn't see how someone with a mass influence like Felix, who has been the poster boy for the alt right movement to the point of being used as a punchline before a devastating terrorist attack, and did nothing and said nothing to distance himself from the situation except a measly tweet and then proceeded to delete his entire following to cover up how many racist alt right accounts he was following before continuing to promote his own accounts, but hey, here we are. After all, it's all memes and influencers have no influence on their followers.

Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Phil and Martyn both talking about The OA makes me think of Phil watching Doctor Foster (is that the right show? I am trusting an anon on that) to talk to Kath about it. I love the idea of the Lesters watching the same TV shows wherever they are as a bonding thing, like how my mom and I talk about Pokemon Go all the time wherever we are.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It was doctor foster. I think Phil has said that he likes having a show he can watch with his mom which is always nice.

Also I know this is a forum and I’m not trying to tell anyone what to talk about but if people want to continue the controversial discussion above can they do so under a cut or in dm’s. It’s not a conversation I feel comfortable with because emotions get high and as a minority and a human being I feel like I don’t want that topic to be a huge thing here were it doesn’t really belong
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:49 pm It was doctor foster. I think Phil has said that he likes having a show he can watch with his mom which is always nice.

Also I know this is a forum and I’m not trying to tell anyone what to talk about but if people want to continue the controversial discussion above can they do so under a cut or in dm’s. It’s not a conversation I feel comfortable with because emotions get high and as a minority and a human being I feel like I don’t want that topic to be a huge thing here were it doesn’t really belong
That's a very fair request, and as an additional note if people do want to continue the discussion they can also do so in the Pewdiepie thread on our Other Youtubers section.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

I don't usually watch Carrie but I'm watching her talk about not wanting to make videos and overthinking why people watch Youtubers and what's her channel's "thing," and it just feels a bit relevant to our absent Dan. She doesn't come to any particularly interesting conclusions, and then she goes on to talk about books and movies and she's annoying me so I'm stopping, but somehow I find this post-able in a world of little to comment on re: D&P.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan liking coming out jokes is totally my jam.
knq
lava lamp

Does this ‘Monday mood’ Dan-like imply Dan is working during the week?
Or just that he likes Dolly Parton and/or caffeine generally?

I’ve seen April Fools day mentioned a few times around the phandom and I have to say that, while I’d like Dan and Phil to do something funny, I sincerely doubt they will unless Phil does something on his own.

I’m also starting to wonder... if nothing much changes in the next month or so, are people going to start predicting Dan’s “June Video” return? I can honestly imagine that happening so easily in this fandom.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

They could do PigeonFest 2.0. They don't have to talk and Dan doesn't need to show his face, so it's the perfect idea (I know they won't do it but please .. I can't live in a world without dnp doing something stupid for April Fools. Do they have no compassion left?)
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

April fool's where they livestream the sea of cardboard boxes they're in for 5 hours, and occasionally we see a pale Phil hand shuffling the boxes around, maybe taking knickknacks out or putting some in. Box Fest 2k19

I absolutely am in a ridiculous mood, don't mind me

Also, Dan liking that tweet makes me weirdly very emotional. It just always makes me happy to see some growth and nonchalance with it. Of course the top/bottom fave in 2015 was a little different contextually but taking that recent example of backtracking on a tweet like, I still feel like it's progress to have him like something obviously queer and just move on. It's happened a few times, of course, but it still makes me really happy for him.
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

haven't posted here much recently but i thought you all would be interested in this.

the subject of dan and phil and their relationship has come up in two episodes of the camp cast (a podcast by imallexx and james marriott). both mentions involve bluesdank as a guest on the podcast.

this episode from february at around 52:00
and in today's episode at 27:30
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Hm those podcasts look interesting I wonder what approach they take. That of a youtuber commenting on other youtubers? Or does it contain more of a perspective based on personal interactions they've had? Hopefully I can watch it tonight.

@ pigeonfest. I've got mixed feelings about pigeonfest. It's a nice gimmick, but then it was another instance of them ending a tradition of April fools vids and replacing it with a literal feed of (no) pigeons. Pigeon fest shows how desperate we as an audience can be for content. They could literally make us watch the grass grow, and some would cheer about all the great content. I appreciated Pigeon Fest as an inside joke and can't fully shake the impression that Phil was trying to put something of a mirror to us. I'd rather have an actual video again in the April fools tradition: funny, absurd and satanic yet somehow still endearing :lol:
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

Happy one year :ribena:
noodlebum
flower crown

Hmm, just seemed to be a lot of giggling, saying dnp must be together because they've lived together 'in their IKEA apartment' for so long, while they also agreed that 2 males living together doesn't definitely mean they're a couple. And no I don't think they've ever met them, they generally just talk about other youtubers, at least imalexx does on his channel.

Happy 1 year to the quiff! :ribena:
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Had a chance to listen to it. I think (?) i'm subscribed to I'mAlexx, I remember enjoying some of his fanfic vids and liking some of his youtube commentaries. But yea sadly they don't really go to much into it.

That one guy clearly ships them. He wasn't to well informed either. Dan and Phil have denied being a couple but I can understand why he'd think it's been a controversy from day one and that they have never spoken out against it :lol: Shows you the power of an active shipping community in shaping the perceptions of outsiders ;)
Though I don't give to much weight to it as it's just on off-hand remark, I did find the motive of that guy interesting. Living in an IKEA flat with a male friend as a male friend apparently makes you gay. He takes it back in the second clip and I commend him for that, but it just makes me sad how you see that this kind of expectation pattern is still deeply rooted in our thinking. Because obviously when two people of the same gender, especially if they are not straight, are living together, they must be (secretly) gay for each other. The fact that Alex wanted to address the question of the girl about him and his mate dating was so recognizable and saddening too, as it may imply a similar line of thinking (two cute gay guys living together??! I'm readdy to ship it!!). I wished society moved on from it's obsession over gay couples :(