Dan & Phil Part 83: Where in the World is Daniel Howell

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
dancy
procrastinator

It's quite sad to see how the views on Phil's videos have been getting progressively worse ever since he uploaded his first video this year... I sadly don't feel like that will stop unless he starts making videos with Dan again or makes videos that are somehow more rewatchable or ones that can draw in a new audience. The thing is that his current content may be enjoyable to the audience that he already has (or at least, a part of it) but it doesn't appeal to people who don't know him and since there's currently also not much else going on, it makes things even more difficult. The gaming channel isn't there to back him up, Dan isn't making videos (which I think is affecting Phil as well because a lot of people in the fandom discovered Dan first and got to know Phil through him basically and that's not happening these days) and there's generally just little incentive for people to want to become a fan of of theirs right now.

Who knows though, maybe he's okay with it, maybe he's not but he's happy with his content the way it is and prioritizes that, I don't know... Either way, I hope he's happy and isn't affected by it all too much.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

dancy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 pm It's quite sad to see how the views on Phil's videos have been getting progressively worse ever since he uploaded his first video this year... I sadly don't feel like that will stop unless he starts making videos with Dan again or makes videos that are somehow more rewatchable or ones that can draw in a new audience. The thing is that his current content may be enjoyable to the audience that he already has (or at least, a part of it) but it doesn't appeal to people who don't know him and since there's currently also not much else going on, it makes things even more difficult. The gaming channel isn't there to back him up, Dan isn't making videos (which I think is affecting Phil as well because a lot of people in the fandom discovered Dan first and got to know Phil through him basically and that's not happening these days) and there's generally just little incentive for people to want to become a fan of of theirs right now.

Who knows though, maybe he's okay with it, maybe he's not but he's happy with his content the way it is and prioritizes that, I don't know... Either way, I hope he's happy and isn't affected by it all too much.
It's interesting to try and figure out what's going on in his head right now, because he's not overly promoting videos - he did remember to instagram that he had a new one this time, and tweeted it a second time - but prior to this one he'd not been doing either of those things - and he's not making videos that seem at all meant to appeal to new viewers. Really nothing he's made seems done with the intention of anyone who doesn't already know and have some interest in him.

It kind of makes me suspect that what he's doing right now are actually 'hey, we're still alive' videos to keep us from going totally insane. I think he enjoys making them, and I think his content isn't high on the demand end with prep, filming, or editing, so I don't think it actually takes a lot of his time up doing it. But it leaves me more convinced that moving or something else behind the scenes is going on to make him be up to putting content out but content and numbers/ad revenue/etc not actually being his main focus at all.
Phantasy
woodland creature

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:31 pm
dancy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 pm It's quite sad to see how the views on Phil's videos have been getting progressively worse ever since he uploaded his first video this year... I sadly don't feel like that will stop unless he starts making videos with Dan again or makes videos that are somehow more rewatchable or ones that can draw in a new audience. The thing is that his current content may be enjoyable to the audience that he already has (or at least, a part of it) but it doesn't appeal to people who don't know him and since there's currently also not much else going on, it makes things even more difficult. The gaming channel isn't there to back him up, Dan isn't making videos (which I think is affecting Phil as well because a lot of people in the fandom discovered Dan first and got to know Phil through him basically and that's not happening these days) and there's generally just little incentive for people to want to become a fan of of theirs right now.

It's interesting to try and figure out what's going on in his head right now, because he's not overly promoting videos - he did remember to instagram that he had a new one this time, and tweeted it a second time - but prior to this one he'd not been doing either of those things - and he's not making videos that seem at all meant to appeal to new viewers. Really nothing he's made seems done with the intention of anyone who doesn't already know and have some interest in him.

It kind of makes me suspect that what he's doing right now are actually 'hey, we're still alive' videos to keep us from going totally insane. I think he enjoys making them, and I think his content isn't high on the demand end with prep, filming, or editing, so I don't think it actually takes a lot of his time up doing it. But it leaves me more convinced that moving or something else behind the scenes is going on to make him be up to putting content out but content and numbers/ad revenue/etc not actually being his main focus at all.
I think that’s exactly it. The content is relatively unchanged, it’s mainly the audience engagement and marketing of the video that’s down. Without live shows, steady tweets and gaming vids that cross-market other content it’s almost a given that viewship would be down.

I think it’s almost a given that they are jointly going through some life event, whether it’s moving, or a project or even just focusing more on them selves and/or their relationship, the difference between them being that Phil has a greater capacity (and clearer headspace) to focus on more than one thing at a time, so the onus falls to Phil to keep the lights on—that said, it doesn’t appear to be some great burden as I agree he seems quite happy and at place with his recent content.

So, no, sad is not the feeling I would ascribe to seeing diminished views, it’s just a natural result of their level of engagement and output at the moment. I’d rather see a happy Phil with content he enjoys producing with fewer views than algorithm content that he uncomfortably feels he has to promote 10x a day to drum up views.
noodlebum
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:31 pm
dancy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:59 pm It's quite sad to see how the views on Phil's videos have been getting progressively worse ever since he uploaded his first video this year...

I agree, I think there's something else going on behind the scenes in terms of either their business or personal lives which is taking priority. So doing easy videos to keep the audience 'fed' for now until that's sorted/ready to be unleashed :P

(sorry I cut down your quotes just to make it a bit smaller :) )
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I don't think Phil cares that much about hitting 1mln views on his videos anymore, but I also don't think that he doesn't care if his videos don't do all that well either. However, if I were trying to regain my status as a solo creator, I'd either try to dare a little more with the content I offer to gain some new viewers or I'd try to establish a closer connection with the fanbase I already have. Phil is not doing either of those things.
So yeah, I agree with you: there's something else going on at the moment that we don't know about(or do we? :sherlock: ).
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
noodlebum
flower crown

I'd love them to make another boardgame/party game some time, if they have any more grand ideas for one. My family and friends all love Truth Bombs (without knowing who the hell Dan and Phil mentioned on the box are) - my brother went and bought it to play with his friends too, which is pretty cool 8-)
knq
lava lamp

Changing the name and thumbnail of the Fiverr video did seem to indicate that he was interested in pulling viewers who weren’t already invested in him and his content. But I’d say the videos after that are very focused towards an audience that already knows him.

I like this theory because if you combine it with the moving one you can assume Phil’s ‘squished between a wall and his camera sitting on a plastic chair’ filming space is just for the transition while there’s moving boxes everywhere, and once they do move he’ll have a more comfortable, less claustrophobic space to make videos in. Please please please!
kavat
pastel persona

Now this is something I can agree on. Seeing Tan dress up Phil like a Ken doll? Yes please.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

kavat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:58 pm Now this is something I can agree on. Seeing Tan dress up Phil like a Ken doll? Yes please.
LOL Tan liked the tweet and even though I know it won't ever happen, I'm already dreaming about them doing a collab. Dan and Phil died so Tan and Phil could live, we don't even need to change their "ship" name, that's how blessed we are!

Can't wait to see the brand new channel TanAndPhilGAMES.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
noodlebum
flower crown

TanAndPhil haha, love it. Dan would be so jealous.

Random, but someone on another forum said they work in DnP's doctors surgery and they're registered under 2 different addresses. Obviously don't know if it's true, but interesting if so (2 flats theory etc.)
kavat
pastel persona

noodlebum wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 pm TanAndPhil haha, love it. Dan would be so jealous.

Random, but someone on another forum said they work in DnP's doctors surgery and they're registered under 2 different addresses. Obviously don't know if it's true, but interesting if so (2 flats theory etc.)
If that's true that's a big breach of privacy and that person should probably be fired. Let's hope it's just someone making things up for attention.
noodlebum
flower crown

kavat wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:30 pm
noodlebum wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:27 pm TanAndPhil haha, love it. Dan would be so jealous.

If that's true that's a big breach of privacy and that person should probably be fired. Let's hope it's just someone making things up for attention.
Yeah, I take these things with a pinch of salt normally (these sort of people always crop up on that site for different youtubers). And surely the person would realise how easily they could be traced if true and came out,and lose their job? Hmm. Still, makes you wonder.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Obviously anything like this should be taken with an entire mine of salt given the source, but I’ve actually been wondering if this isn’t the case for a little while (that they don’t live together any more and they just don’t want to tell us) - ngl, even though I guess I didn’t expect them to live together forever I know I’ll still be really sad when it happens - end of an era. I really hope I’m wrong, at least for now. :cry:

Oh, and hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. I *think* I started lurking here on and off after GTPWTW, so nearly a year! Thought it was time I finally said hi.

(Sorry, that wasn’t very cheerful for a first post… I’ll end by sharing a vid I recently discovered. I’m sure you’ve all seen it but in case there are any other new people who haven’t, it’s an animated version of their FNAF 4 video … I watched this vid about 19 times in the week after I discovered it because I loved it so much.)

blackbirddan.tumblr.com
liola
rankussy

Besides the rumour and the believability of it (nothing new in this phandom) I've always wondered if they rented the two flats under separate names, especially for utilities? I have no clue how renting in London works but I wouldn't be that surprised if to rent two separate flats they had to separate their addresses? Especially for taxes and a flat as an office? Idk someone with more knowledge come say if it's stupid
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
noodlebum
flower crown

Ok that video looks amazing, I'm lining it up to watch right now. Like their animated pinof.

Yeah I mean, I picked up in the liveshow only Dan saying he isn't moving, and Phil staying quiet. Small thing I know, but could indicate something. I don't know, there's so much we don't really know about these guys, let's face it. Or, if it's true but they do live together, just solidifies the 2 flats theory and both used a different flat's address for some reason (privacy? Or tax reasons like you said @liola ). I'm not going to respond to the person anyway, it's too stalker-ish for me.
Ablissa
pastel persona

That person is right :/ I'm actually the second cousin of the dog of Phil's grandmother's great great aunt, and I heard that Dan moved to live in Hawaii. This was back in 1998, so they actually moved apart in late 1997. Phan is not real, sorry everyone :snow:
noodlebum
flower crown

:lol:
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Ablissa wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm

That person is right :/ I'm actually the second cousin of the dog of Phil's grandmother's great great aunt, and I heard that Dan moved to live in Hawaii. This was back in 1998, so they actually moved apart in late 1997. Phan is not real, sorry everyone :snow:
You're way off base! My dentist's ex-husband's cousin delivers the post in London. He told his cousin, who told his ex-wife, who told me, that Dan and Phil have lived apart for years. :tinfoil:
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Mod Note:

Friendly reminder about our rules:
2. Posting of private personal information of the individuals we discuss is strictly prohibited. This includes addresses, contact details (off or online), or those of the individuals associated with them (friends and family; past present or future).
Currently no one has really broken the forum rules, but we'd like to keep it that way. This information is unconfirmed, but potentially sensitive and illegal. In the future, please think twice before posting potentially sensitive information like this on the forum. As for now, it'd be for the best if we don't discuss this any further.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

sapienveneficus wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:13 pm
Ablissa wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:52 pm

You're way off base! My dentist's ex-husband's cousin delivers the post in London. He told his cousin, who told his ex-wife, who told me, that Dan and Phil have lived apart for years. :tinfoil:
Just in case it wasn't clear, my last post was a joke.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
noodlebum
flower crown

Catallena wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:21 pm Mod Note:

Friendly reminder about our rules:
2. Posting of private personal information of the individuals we discuss is strictly prohibited. This includes addresses, contact details (off or online), or those of the individuals associated with them (friends and family; past present or future).
Currently no one has really broken the forum rules, but we'd like to keep it that way. This information is unconfirmed, but potentially sensitive and illegal. In the future, please think twice before posting potentially sensitive information like this on the forum. As for now, it'd be for the best if we don't discuss this any further.
I'm truly sorry, I'd never have put anything personal, true or not

Changing the subject, I enjoyed the animated video and would love to see more of DnP's videos animated :)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

noodlebum wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm I enjoyed the animated video and would love to see more of DnP's videos animated :)
Hannah Hoffman has animated a bunch of Deppy's videos in the past. Here's a compilation one to get started:

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
noodlebum
flower crown

lefthandedism wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 pm
noodlebum wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:44 pm I enjoyed the animated video and would love to see more of DnP's videos animated :)
Hannah Hoffman has animated a bunch of Deppy's videos in the past. Here's a compilation one to get started:

Thank you!! I'll add these to my watch list :)

Also, (Dan's voice) "Oh dear Phil"
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm
Remember the gas leak thingy they told us about prior to the first move? Is the excuse for this move going to be 'Phil literally burned our flat down so we had to move'?