Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Double post because I missed the editing window - there's a black shirt too. I already like this photo :lol:
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I'm all for selling merchandise in theory. YouTube ad revenue has been unreliable, to say the least, in recent years and lots of content creators have been turning to merchandise as a more reliable source of income. I'm not a big merch person myself, but I did buy (and love) the Dan and Phil and Dogs 2018 calendar (I'm still gutted they didn't use their travel photos to make a 2019 calendar) and their 2018 advent calendar. So, in short, I think merchandise has a valid place in this YouTube space.

That said, finding out that Phil's about to drop new merch kinda rubs me the wrong way. I think it's the timing. It's April (month #4) and there's no end in sight to this hiatus. The audience (well, those who haven't jumped ship) is pretty frustrated and starved for content; is this the right time to release new merch? I don't think so.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
liola
rankussy

sapienveneficus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:47 pm I'm all for selling merchandise in theory. YouTube ad revenue has been unreliable, to say the least, in recent years and lots of content creators have been turning to merchandise as a more reliable source of income. I'm not a big merch person myself, but I did buy (and love) the Dan and Phil and Dogs 2018 calendar (I'm still gutted they didn't use their travel photos to make a 2019 calendar) and their 2018 advent calendar. So, in short, I think merchandise has a valid place in this YouTube space.

That said, finding out that Phil's about to drop new merch kinda rubs me the wrong way. I think it's the timing. It's April (month #4) and there's no end in sight to this hiatus. The audience (well, those who haven't jumped ship) is pretty frustrated and starved for content; is this the right time to release new merch? I don't think so.
I've probably been one of the most vocal people about being frustrated about the hiatus but this is Phil's merch we're talking about, not joint merch, and Phil has been posting pretty consistently since he came back, which was pretty close to the normal timing he would've taken after a Christmas break. What does he have to do, put everything on hold because the other part of the joint bran isn't ready to come back? This is his job and he is still doing it and shouldn't be blamed for it.

That said, fuck that pic of the black shirt, I don't know what the merch is going to look like BUT HIS ARMS. i'm crying
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sapienveneficus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:47 pm I'm all for selling merchandise in theory. YouTube ad revenue has been unreliable, to say the least, in recent years and lots of content creators have been turning to merchandise as a more reliable source of income. I'm not a big merch person myself, but I did buy (and love) the Dan and Phil and Dogs 2018 calendar (I'm still gutted they didn't use their travel photos to make a 2019 calendar) and their 2018 advent calendar. So, in short, I think merchandise has a valid place in this YouTube space.

Yeah, what liola said. I might see that point if this were Dan putting out merch, or if they were putting out Dan and Phil merch, but Phil's made a video every other week in 2019 (after coming back from the holidays). No one can really say they're starved for Phil content.
fancybum
senpai

I’d find it kind of questionable if they dropped some joint merch right now, but Phil’s been doing his own thing with some regularity so I don’t really see an issue with him releasing solo merch. Honestly even if they did drop joint merch and it didn’t suck, I’d probably still grab it. I don’t think it’s a requirement to have an uploading schedule (or even much of a reliable online presence) to justify(?) releasing merch. They’d probably sell less though compared to if they were more active (jointly) online. Merch is merch, buy it or don’t :shrug:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I'm just glad that he started teasing merch so that I don't have to post a 'compilation' of just a meme he found on Reddit somewhere.

That yellow shirt hurts my eyes tho.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

liola wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:52 pm

I've probably been one of the most vocal people about being frustrated about the hiatus but this is Phil's merch we're talking about, not joint merch, and Phil has been posting pretty consistently since he came back, which was pretty close to the normal timing he would've taken after a Christmas break. What does he have to do, put everything on hold because the other part of the joint bran isn't ready to come back? This is his job and he is still doing it and shouldn't be blamed for it.

That said, fuck that pic of the black shirt, I don't know what the merch is going to look like BUT HIS ARMS. i'm crying
I guess that's fair enough. I suppose, in my mind, Dan and Phil are inextricably linked. Yes, they have their own channels, and their own merch shops (under the banner of their jointly owned company), but they've spent so many years marketing themselves and producing content as a joint entity, that I don't think I'll ever be able to completely separate the two in my mind. So while the hiatus has mostly been from joint and solo Dan content (though Phil has stopped doing solo liveshows and cut back on his social media to a lesser extent), in my mind Phil is a part of the hiatus because the two of them are a team.

That said, it is true that Phil has been producing videos for his channel every 10 days of so this year which is not nothing.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

sapienveneficus wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:07 pm
liola wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:52 pm

I guess that's fair enough. I suppose, in my mind, Dan and Phil are inextricably linked. Yes, they have their own channels, and their own merch shops (under the banner of their jointly owned company), but they've spent so many years marketing themselves and producing content as a joint entity, that I don't think I'll ever be able to completely separate the two in my mind. So while the hiatus has mostly been from joint and solo Dan content (though Phil has stopped doing solo liveshows and cut back on his social media to a lesser extent), in my mind Phil is a part of the hiatus because the two of them are a team.

That said, it is true that Phil has been producing videos for his channel every 10 days of so this year which is not nothing.
On the topic of this, I've been thinking that perhaps this is what they're going for this year?

Nothing about their personal lives is changing and by no means do I want to create a doomsday effect here, because it's not what I mean, but I think they want "Dan and Phil" to be less of an overarching brand.

This has all been said before, but I imagine that it must get exhausting after a while for your relationship to be both your main source of income and your personal life. And joined-at-the-hip though they may be, they still are singular human beings who may have different goals that they - after 2 tours, 2 books, and hundreds of videos together - may want to go after and accomplish. And perhaps, the first step to this is a (rather harsh) weaning of the audience off of said joint content and branding. I think that thing you're describing is something they maybe want to lighten a little bit.

That's not to say that there'll be none. I fully expect a comeback at some point, but Phil releasing videos and then also merch on his own seems very much like them going after their own personal goals. Because lbr, Phil's always been the one that loves a silly youtube video and some fun merch more.

Anyway. This got too deep. Let's talk about how lean Phil looks. These 2 are clearly working on their fitness.
kavat
pastel persona

Damn, those arms.

That's it, that's the post. I'm not apologizing.
padfoot
smol bean

Releasing new merch when he's just re-filming his old videos... my feelings are not very positive. :dh:

I was scared after all these discounts and 'spring cleaning' they would come out with d&p merch ngl. At least its just Phil's.
noodlebum
flower crown

Alright Phil and your toned arms, go on then

Wow, the blue and yellow are BRIGHT :sunshine:
rizzo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:21 pm Nothing about their personal lives is changing and by no means do I want to create a doomsday effect here, because it's not what I mean, but I think they want "Dan and Phil" to be less of an overarching brand.
I agree, I think they're weening everyone off them being a two-headed beast and trying to be more separate this year, brand-wise.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I'm thinking the blue shirt is going to be like the Pugs shirt he wears a lot but instead with a corgi on it. I'm curious as to what's going to be on the yellow & black tops - I would guess plant/cactus and fox like the stickers but I can't picture those matching with the shirt colors.
dellamay
smol bean

Someone on Instagram alerted me to the fact there is licensed Dan and Phil merch at Hot Topic! Is this new? Seems like a big deal.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

I'm hoping that the merch drop + video combo will come today, but I wouldn't be too surprised if it's tomorrow instead
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Dan finally followed Mitch Grassi on insta and that's honestly the only news I care about today. I used to compare those 2 so frequently when they both went through their Vetements phase. Let's just hope Dan never goes for a mustache and/or mullet tyvm.
dellamay wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:48 pm Someone on Instagram alerted me to the fact there is licensed Dan and Phil merch at Hot Topic! Is this new? Seems like a big deal.
Nope, not new! They have 3 tees and pins iirc and they're all usually available in store. It's pretty wild. I wonder how much they made off that deal.

Link! You can scroll for the other 2 tees.
kavat
pastel persona

dellamay wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:48 pm Someone on Instagram alerted me to the fact there is licensed Dan and Phil merch at Hot Topic! Is this new? Seems like a big deal.
It has been a thing for a while. I don't know if this was the first design they sold but at least since november 2017.
Philena
blobfish

rizzo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:09 pm Dan finally followed Mitch Grassi on insta and that's honestly the only news I care about today. I used to compare those 2 so frequently when they both went through their Vetements phase. Let's just hope Dan never goes for a mustache and/or mullet tyvm.
I literally gasped!! Finally.

Also, Phil is such a tease. I need the full pic in the black tee. Right. Now!!!
liola
rankussy

rizzo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:09 pm Dan finally followed Mitch Grassi on insta and that's honestly the only news I care about today. I used to compare those 2 so frequently when they both went through their Vetements phase. Let's just hope Dan never goes for a mustache and/or mullet tyvm.
God let's not even put that idea out there. I'm still dumbfounded that he followed him cause I've been begging for some kind of interactions between phan/scomiche since like 2015 and this is just. Too much to comprehend. My old fandom (ok still present but not as involved fandom) and current one..God.. (also I swear Dan why would you follow Mitch when he's having some kind of 80s crisis where have you been when his fashion choices weren't so questionable uh?)

Now all I want is a Phil and Scott interaction, because no one can tell me Scott isn't 100% Phils type I will be here ready to fight I fucking swear.

Ehm anyway yes video tonight please?

autumnhearth
senpai

How timely, my husband and I were having a deep phone conversation about the direction of their brands, how I wasn’t ok with the possibility of new Dan or joint merch if there is none of that content, but The AmazingPhil brand is absolutely fine. I now better understand there being separate shops for them (but they should still share a damn cart) as getting an announcement or newsletter just from Phil doesn’t raise my hackles. And we were talking about the personal/professional reasons for wanting to separate their brands (not merch just the Dan & Phil tm thing. And them seeking individual success/validation for their creative endeavors and not the ship, while maybe intentionally narrowing down their audience. @rizzo the nothing personal comment in the ls does make perfect sense in that context. And yeah my son loves his Hot Topic Dan and Phil pins, they are cute, the shirts are blah. The blue sweatshirt totally makes me thing of the pugs one too. Dare we hope for socks?
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

liola wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:27 pm
God let's not even put that idea out there. I'm still dumbfounded that he followed him cause I've been begging for some kind of interactions between phan/scomiche since like 2015 and this is just. Too much to comprehend. My old fandom (ok still present but not as involved fandom) and current one..God.. (also I swear Dan why would you follow Mitch when he's having some kind of 80s crisis where have you been when his fashion choices weren't so questionable uh?)

Now all I want is a Phil and Scott interaction, because no one can tell me Scott isn't 100% Phils type I will be here ready to fight I fucking swear.

I'm screeching, because you're absolutely right!!!

Agreed re: Dan's choice to follow Mitch now. I hope he's not ~inspired. I hope this particular phase of Mitch's is over because it's a TRAGEDY.

Superfruit/Phan collab is now my one dying wish. Can you imagine how red in the phase Mitch and Scott would make Deps? Ugh. Need.
Philena
blobfish

rizzo wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:32 pm

Agreed re: Dan's choice to follow Mitch now. I hope he's not ~inspired. I hope this particular phase of Mitch's is over because it's a TRAGEDY.

Superfruit/Phan collab is now my one dying wish. Can you imagine how red in the phase Mitch and Scott would make Deps? Ugh. Need.
I can't get Scophil out of my head now, thanks. But, honestly, I think Phil is Scott's type, too.

Also, completely off topic, but I actually am enjoying Mitch's end-of-relationship phase, and am glad to see him hanging out with Scott and crew again.
liola
rankussy

Lol when I was still deep in scomiche/ptx fandom and writing fanfic I had started a silly drabble about this filled with all my headcanons. God this is bringing me back!!
Philena wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:35 pm

I can't get Scophil out of my head now, thanks. But, honestly, I think Phil is Scott's type, too.

Also, completely off topic, but I actually am enjoying Mitch's end-of-relationship phase, and am glad to see him hanging out with Scott and crew again.
I think Scott (but also Mitch) would 100% be enamoured with Phil's wit and dorkiness, he would 100% go after Scott's childish side. Oh how tiny Mitch would look between them ;_;

Should we move to the superfruit subtopic? Cause boy I have thoughts about witch's usual end-of-relationship phase lol

Ablissa
pastel persona

So... Do we have any chance for the video today? I'm starting to think not, he would have said something by now. If he doesn't speak in the next hour or so I guess we can forget it for today.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

At this point i think he will upload tomorrow/wednesday so he can spon his merch.

Now watch him upload after this post just to spite me.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
knq
lava lamp

I think one of them mentioned the Hot Topic merch had something to do with District Lines. I forget when/where that was but I got the sense they weren’t involved with it at all.

I don’t care about merch I just want the full HQ photos of Phil wearing it. :cherryblossom: