Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
glitterintheair
phillluminati
Pronouns: she/her

I don't know what to think about joint content anymore. If they really are trying to kill it off for good, then I'm gonna side-eye everything they said in the last liveshow. I find it hard to theorize especially when one of them is barely present online anyway. I'd be more confident about it if Dan was active and frequently posted on his own.
It won't happen but I hope for an update on the matter in the Q&A - I don't even need to know when or if dapg is coming back, I just want to know if joint content will still be a thing or not, because my main fear at the moment is that they're using the let's not say anything because it would upset people, so let's leave them to get used to the idea by themselves approach, which is not something I'm a fan of.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

You know what's sad? I miss Dan so much that when I saw the insta story this morning, the first thing I thought was : is that Dan's hand? I didn't even care about anything else.
:gayaf:
noodlebum
flower crown

I just bought the green lion t-shirt, as it's subtle/not obviously dnp merch, and something I'd wear in everyday life :) not seen it before either
knq
lava lamp

I waffle back and forth on whether they’re planning to stop making joint content. The focus on their individual merch stores, seperation of bios and managers on abovetf, some of the themes in II, and the whole not existing in the same frame together in 2019 thing makes me think yes.

On the other hand, they strongly implied they planned to continue baking and mukbangs. Phil has mentioned Dan in his videos when it wasn’t really necessary. And whether or not I believe he will, Dan still seems to think he’ll be putting out a video when he’s ready.

(Side note, I realized the other day I can picture Dan eventually making a video, probs one addressing his absence and other changes, but I really can’t picture him then making a second video, or a third after they, or adopting any kind of regular schedule on his own. Is that something other more optimistic fans can picture?)

The biggest thing that keeps me from drawing any sort of conclusion about their plan for the future of joint content is Dan’s withdrawal from his public life. It only makes sense that if Dan has a need to separate himself from his content/audience and Phil doesn’t, that they have separate schedules and content. Pushing Dan to create when he’s not ready or preventing Phil from creating when he is would both be unhealthy decisions for them.

I don’t think the Q&A will answer questions about their joint plans for the future but I still hope Phil posts it soon.

I’m team not-dan’s-arm. I think the set up to Phil’s right is probably Dan’s. The cards are set up on that persons left, and that player had the dog card Phil showed on IG. A left handed dog lover unwilling to share the joy of Sparky the Stunt Dog on his own social media and letting Phil do it can only be Dan Howell. :tinfoil:
noodlebum
flower crown

Does anyone know the game?
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

knq wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:35 am
I’m team not-dan’s-arm. I think the set up to Phil’s right is probably Dan’s. The cards are set up on that persons left, and that player had the dog card Phil showed on IG. A left handed dog lover unwilling to share the joy of Sparky the Stunt Dog on his own social media and letting Phil do it can only be Dan Howell. :tinfoil:
That's it, sold! You convinced me! My mind is at ease.
:gayaf:
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

I personally think joint content is done. They may occasionally do a video for Phil's channel but I dont think we'll ever see a return of the joint branding. Which is fine of course, it's their lives/careers/etc. But it does make last year feel a bit calculated to me.
starwatersong
phabergé

noodlebum wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:57 am Does anyone know the game?
It’s Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game.

Second collaborative board game we’ve seen them playing lately (Pandemic was the first).

(Also, according to the people of the internet, Sparky is a “broken” card — that, to me, adds to what competitive left handed dog lover was playing him).
autumnhearth
senpai

noodlebum wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:30 am I just bought the green lion t-shirt, as it's subtle/not obviously dnp merch, and something I'd wear in everyday life :) not seen it before either
The light pistachio pocket one? We’ve had that and llama one in the US for quite awhile (though it was always on the last page). It’s so weird what’s on the US vs UK site and the different prices there. I ended up not ordering during the weekend sale because of a size being sold out and missed out on a free Dil. And this morning I noticed Dil and the bunny slippers are cheaper here, but I’m ordering from the UK site because they have the cute little jumping Dan and Phil shirts on sale there and in black, whereas the US site just has the purple at full price :shock:

@knq the only reason I can see Dan doing and second and third video after the first is because of his focus on the aesthetic being right (getting that void sign) but of course I don’t think they will be regularly uploaded. If he were to post this summer I could only see one or two additional videos this year. Maybe a four video an average in the future. But I realize there’s no point in speculating.
Grey
lady door

CapriciousCrab wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:30 am I personally think joint content is done. They may occasionally do a video for Phil's channel but I dont think we'll ever see a return of the joint branding. Which is fine of course, it's their lives/careers/etc. But it does make last year feel a bit calculated to me.
Yup, they absolutely planned this. They even started to tell us in the first II show but then people freaked out so they decided it’s better to just let us hold onto false hope that eventually fizzles out.

The last live show they posted is why I’m not even sure I believe that their joint shop isn’t closing. I know someone who works there said it wasn’t but can you actually believe anything from Dan and Phil? No. They just say what they think we want to hear regardless of what they’re actually going to do.

ETA: a frustrating part for me is that I don’t even think now is a bad time to quit but I would have so much preferred if they had told us so they could go out on a high.
I'm having a stress.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I got my first shop order last week. I had a fleeting, bitter moment of 'why am I still giving them money ffs' when I opened it, but hope springs eternal, I guess. Anyway. The stuff is really nice - I got the bunny slippers, and the pixel people shirt on a whim as it was so cheap. It's cute! I placed a second order for the purple hoodie which got returned to sender for some reason, so hopefully that will be nice if I ever get it. -_- I really wish they hadn't added more items in dribs and drabs, though, as there are a few more things I'd quite like while they're so cheap, but I really don't want to pay a *third* round of shipping in one week, like, guys. Seriously. (Especially as I'm probably going to be placing an order at Phil's shop when his stuff drops, which is *yet another* shipping charge.) Oh, and the Dil plushie is really cute. I rewatched the first Sims vid in celebration of him arriving. l don't know how I feel about the future of the store yet - it makes sense for them to have a clear-out if they've got a bunch of super old inventory that isn't selling, but they did say the store wasn't closing, so I don't know what that might mean. Just keeping the non-sale stuff around for a while, I guess?

Someone on tumblr said 'I'm pre-emptively sad about Easter baking' and honestly that's a big mood. Easter is only a week away now, so I think we can safely assume that's not gonna happen. (I'd love to be wrong, but.) Unless of course it ends up being Phil on his own, in his lil filming corner, cooking on a camping stove and trying to balance a mixing bowl on his knee.

@glitterintheair, I think you might be right about their approach of not saying anything for risk of upsetting people, which is very in-character, but I'm really not a fan either. I'd prefer to be put out of my misery. Of course, it’s possible they don't know yet either, but even so. I kept wondering if they were building up to some Big Return or something but I've totally lost hope for that now, or indeed anything else.

We ended up unexpectedly watching the mukbang during the Phandom Watch pre-show on Sunday and, unlike previous times I've watched it, it made me really sad. It was such a lovely relaxed intimate vid and it really felt like we were getting to know the real D&P more, which seemed to be something they wanted too, rather than being their personas of danisnotonfire and AmazingPhil, and now they're just - gone. (As a unit.) But, they did say they wanted to do more mukbangs in future, so - what is the truth?

Honestly I picked a really bad time to properly join the phandom didn't I? :|
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

For me, this is just the same hiatus we’ve been in all year long so far that they didn’t put an end cap on for I am guessing this exact reason. I don’t see any reason to predict the end now if I wasn’t in February because nothing has changed since then. We are still working with exactly the same amount of information.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

This is getting so bad...I literally gasped when I saw Dan in Phil's Instagram story. :lol:
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Joint branding is so dead. I don’t begrudge it for a second. I’m really intrigued as to where they’ll both go in the future.
Grey wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 pm Yup, they absolutely planned this. They even started to tell us in the first II show but then people freaked out so they decided it’s better to just let us hold onto false hope that eventually fizzles out.
2018 was calculated. It was, imo, a send off to joint branding/Dan And Phil. And yeah, the biggest tell was the first Brighton show and the stuff they immediately cut out. I think you could also read into the way they kept conceptualising things as 10 years etc. Giving the people what they want after the people have been around for so long.
glitterintheair wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:43 am I don't know what to think about joint content anymore. If they really are trying to kill it off for good, then I'm gonna side-eye everything they said in the last liveshow.
I personally think that the things they said in the December liveshow don’t hold much weight anymore. All of that was said pre-2019 and more importantly pre their sit down planning meeting. Dan and Phil have proven time and time again that they will say something in the moment to placate their audience despite it not being (wholly) true. And tbf, I feel like at that point in December they probably genuinely didn’t know any specifics. I think it would be fair to assume they hadn’t discussed anything in depth at that point beyond ending the gaming channel. I’d put more stock into what they’re saying (and not saying) and doing (and not doing) now, 4 months later.

In the case of Dan and Phil it is absolutely true that actions speak louder than words.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, their ~method of staying silent until people catch on, however much people don’t like it, does actually work. It’s working every day that passes.

It’ll be interesting to see how they/Phil handle Easter baking. I really don’t think we’ll get an easter baking video this year and, imo, Easter baking is the first ~actual joint tradition of the year. Stuff like the Oscars photo and pancake day weren’t actual Dan and Phil traditions imo. And, in my perspective, neither was April fools pranks/jokes. They had years of no pranks and also not quite joint pranks (ie. the hsm accounts thing etc.) Correct me if I’m wrong but joint April fools stuff started April of 2015 with the first crafts video, right? The year of the first tour and the books, a year in which joint branding was the purpose/message/product of the entire year. Easter baking, since its genesis, has always been a joint tradition.

Assuming Phil uploads tonight/in the next day or so and assuming he keeps to his general 10-14 days uploads, his next video should fall right around Easter (the 21st). I don’t think we’ll get a joint video but I do wonder if Phil/they will say anything about it or not mention it at all. Or whether Phil will do a solo easter food related video. (My bet’s on no mention of it at all.)

So, they're in Brighton with PJ and Sophie. They usually don't stay more than a night or so, so can we assume they'll probably go home today?
bevioletsky
glabella

Grey wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 pm Yup, they absolutely planned this. They even started to tell us in the first II show but then people freaked out so they decided it’s better to just let us hold onto false hope that eventually fizzles out.
I still don’t think joint content is fully done (though I haven’t at any point been expecting anything as frequent to return as when the gaming channel was a thing), but I’ve been thinking about that part from the first ii shows that they then dropped as well. In light of that all of this isn’t very surprising, I agree. But... I guess I want to approach what they say from a good-faith perspective, and think that they are and have been genuinely figuring stuff out. I like to believe that the reassuring things they said in the last liveshow came from a point of believing in what they said.

That goes for Dan’s intentions to upload as well, I think they’ve been sincere. I suppose I get the skepticism as to whether he ever will, considering that I for instance seem to remember him being all ‘lol, imagine if it was a December vid’ in relation to the whole June-vid thing last year. And yeah, I think I feel more optimistic than many but seeing him upload even somewhat regularly in the future does seem rather utopian, innit. I ended up watching philosophytube’s stream last night because it showed up on my yt front-page with the title ‘Bad Day? Chill stream’ and that spoke to me, and at some point he said that the best creative advice he’d ever got was that it doesn’t have to be good, just has to exist. I related it to Dan as I seem to do with a lot of things recently, and I know this isn’t exactly an original point but I suppose that’s all I wish of him (and for him, honestly) at the moment – that he’s doing something. It’d be nice if he felt some of it was worthy of publishing but eh. We’ll see. Eventually.

Has there been some kind of a merch-related holdup with Phil’s video? I can’t imagine why he would take nearly a week to upload, I really thought we’d get it by Monday at the latest. So, tonight? Something new to talk about?

Also, thanks for that theory of Dan sitting on the right based on the cards and their placements. I needed that, and I accept it as truth.

Edit: ohhh an instastory, now we know they’re in Brighton, then. Nice to see their faces!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Red alert: Dan and Phil both in an instastory! Their whole faces (also pj and Sophie) Dan lives!
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Oh Phil, saving the day again. It’s very sad that I almost cried, isn’t it? :happytears:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

bevioletsky wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:58 pm
I still don’t think joint content is fully done (though I haven’t at any point been expecting anything as frequent to return as when the gaming channel was a thing), but I’ve been thinking about that part from the first ii shows that they then dropped as well. In light of that all of this isn’t very surprising, I agree. But... I guess I want to approach what they say from a good-faith perspective, and think that they are and have been genuinely figuring stuff out. I like to believe that the reassuring things they said in the last liveshow came from a point of believing in what they said.

That goes for Dan’s intentions to upload as well, I think they’ve been sincere. I suppose I get the skepticism as to whether he ever will, considering that I for instance seem to remember him being all ‘lol, imagine if it was a December vid’ in relation to the whole June-vid thing last year. And yeah, I think I feel more optimistic than many but seeing him upload even somewhat regularly in the future does seem rather utopian, innit. I ended up watching philosophytube’s stream last night because it showed up on my yt front-page with the title ‘Bad Day? Chill stream’ and that spoke to me, and at some point he said that the best creative advice he’d ever got was that it doesn’t have to be good, just has to exist. I related it to Dan as I seem to do with a lot of things recently, and I know this isn’t exactly an original point but I suppose that’s all I wish of him (and for him, honestly) at the moment – that he’s doing something. It’d be nice if he felt some of it was worthy of publishing but eh. We’ll see. Eventually.
This is where I'm at. I think what I don't respond well to is the overly dramatic catastrophizing feel of unilaterally announcing joint content is dead or danandphil is dead. Are they pulling back? Yep. Is that probably healthier for them personally? Yep. There's every likelihood that last year was exhausting and didn't turn out to be as emotionally fulfilling or sustainable for them and that there are drawbacks to doing nothing but joint content or some kind of personal toll on never having time together not focused on what their next joint video/appearance/liveshow/etc is, and they wouldn't share with us. In which case, I applaud them for giving it a really strong effort with a solid year of full joint branding before stopping to assess.

But there's a far stretch from 'we don't want this to be all we do' to 'we will Never appear on screen again together Ever' which seems to be the conclusion a lot of people are drawing. Maybe this is at the heart of why it's not upsetting to me, but I don't mind the idea that joint content - when it returns - is more of a special occasion than a standard. I think it'd be really cool if more videos had that pinof feel.

I would still take regular joint content over that, don't get me wrong. But I'm not packing up my bags and leaving if after the hiatus is over we get a joint video every couple months instead of two a week and I'm not ready to assume the absolute worst, that this is an all or nothing scenario long term.

In other news: THEIR FACESSSSSSSSSSS.
Please PJ or Sophie come through with a group picture now too please.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I know you guys won't laugh at me if I say I have legit traces of tears in my eyes right now.

Right?
liola
rankussy

Joint branding IS dead because joint branding is not the same as joint content - and even that has been dead for the past 4 months.

How can this be over-dramatic when this is the first pic/video/whatever of the year where we see them in the same frame? When the entire fucking fandom is rejoicing at seeing them in the same frame and seeing Dan's face? Like come on, obviously not saying things out loud works FOR THEM, but it leaves their audience waiting and waiting AND WAITING for days and weeks and months to know something because it's not true that not having answers work. It might work for some people but the majority wants to know! Not even in details but the gist of it, what to expect moving forward.

There's a very stark difference to what the audience has gotten used to since 2014 - not just last year, not just 3 months ago, 4 years. Hell if we really want to talk about it, DanAndPhil as a bran is been a thing since the first radio show, since the super amazing project, there was always the knowledge that they had joint stuff together. Now there's not. It's as simple as that.

Having said that, seeing their faces almost made me cry
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
noodlebum
flower crown

madzilla84 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:17 pm Someone on tumblr said 'I'm pre-emptively sad about Easter baking' and honestly that's a big mood. Easter is only a week away now, so I think we can safely assume that's not gonna happen. (I'd love to be wrong, but.) Unless of course it ends up being Phil on his own, in his lil filming corner, cooking on a camping stove and trying to balance a mixing bowl on his knee.

~~~~~~~~~

Honestly I picked a really bad time to properly join the phandom didn't I? :|
:lol: I can so imagine him doing that.

Also OMFG they're in a photo together finally. Dan's hair is glorious. I wonder if they'd be in a PJ video? (doubtful)
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm I think what I don't respond well to is the overly dramatic catastrophizing feel of unilaterally announcing joint content is dead or danandphil is dead.
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm But there's a far stretch from 'we don't want this to be all we do' to 'we will Never appear on screen again together Ever' which seems to be the conclusion a lot of people are drawing.
I know other people have said the same re: joint branding being dead but in my perspective/opinion and from my point of view there’s a clear distinction between joint branding and joint content.

I do think joint branding is dead. I think selling everything as a joint product and recurrent frequent joint videos/channels etc is dead.

I don’t think joint content is completely dead. Massively scaled back? Yeah, absolutely imo. But I still think we’ll get a joint video or two a year but that’s at most imo. I’d bet we’ll get a joint mukbang video this year. A video like that or two is what I'd expect at most from here on out and for years to come.

In terms of brands and how they present themselves to us/the internet/the world, I think solo brands and solo content are what they’ll be selling and prioritising from here on out.
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm Maybe this is at the heart of why it's not upsetting to me, but I don't mind the idea that joint content - when it returns - is more of a special occasion than a standard.
Yeah, I think joint content has become a rare thing (and will continue to be from here on out) which, yeah, imo, makes it more fun.

Edit to agree with:
liola wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:21 pm Joint branding IS dead because joint branding is not the same as joint content
I didn't notice you slipped in as I was typing but yeah, this is a hard agree from me.
Last edited by idk on Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:21 pm Joint branding IS dead because joint branding is not the same as joint content - and even that has been dead for the past 4 months.

How can this be over-dramatic when this is the first pic/video/whatever of the year where we see them in the same frame? When the entire fucking fandom is rejoicing at seeing them in the same frame and seeing Dan's face? Like come on, obviously not saying things out loud works FOR THEM, but it leaves their audience waiting and waiting AND WAITING for days and weeks and months to know something because it's not true that not having answers work. It might work for some people but the majority wants to know! Not even in details but the gist of it, what to expect moving forward.

There's a very stark difference to what the audience has gotten used to since 2014 - not just last year, not just 3 months ago, 4 years. Hell if we really want to talk about it, DanAndPhil as a bran is been a thing since the first radio show, since the super amazing project, there was always the knowledge that they had joint stuff together. Now there's not. It's as simple as that.

Having said that, seeing their faces almost made me cry
In my opinion 'dead' is a dramatic word for a hiatus they told us about. Both content and branding wise, I think it's premature to assume. You can say it's dead for the duration of the hiatus, if that's the word you really feel strongly that you want to use, obviously I'm not stopping anyone. But it's a hard negative skew being used by people who feel strongly negative about things. Fair enough! People are still allowed to make those posts and complain or discuss the bleaker potential outcomes. This is a forum, everyone's opinion is valid and I feel very strongly about that. But to me, it's still just the hiatus and - broken record here, sorry - I just don't want the only opinions being expressed to be the hard negative ones so I'm gonna keep jumping in. Lack of diversity in opinion here is how everyone ends up convinced that there's no point in hoping or being excited anymore.
autumnhearth
senpai

Aww I should have realized that was PJ’s gaming table, as I watch the vid of him making it. Yay for parallels! I can’t believe that was almost a year ago (April 29th). The question is, did they bro brunch as well?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:39 pm Aww I should have realized that was PJ’s gaming table, as I watch the vid of him making it. Yay for parallels! I can’t believe that was almost a year ago (April 29th). The question is, did they bro brunch as well?
I hope they bro brunch today and someone shows us. :(