Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Honestly I'm still on a high off that photo, so I'm not going to be super negative. It feels awesome to see both of their faces in the same frame, and for the first time in so long! If not for that girl that caught them on IoM, is this the first 'joint' photo we've seen this year?
How long did they stay last time if we know? I love that they're having their little Brighton getaway. <3

As far as joint branding / content being dead, I don't know. Possibly it is, or maybe it'll come back. All I know is that I desperately want to BELIEVE it will come back, because joint content being a rare, once-every-few-months thing is not enough for me and I'd hate it. But that's just me, I'm just one person of many. I hope that if they choose to go 90% solo, their other fans are going to be more into it than I would be.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I mean, at the end of the day everything is rather subjective. Some people think that having rarer joint content will be fun, but it will be a nightmare for others. For example, having less joint stuff from them will be exactly the thing that will drive me away eventually because I really don't care that much about the rest.
So yeah, I totally understand you guys saying "rarer joint content will be exciting" as a positive thing, but not everyone thinks like that. Like, just the possibility of it being true has me wanting to fall down the stairs singing Born to Die by Lana Del Rey.

Anyway I actually teared up over tha ig story and that's all you need to know.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I love that my SO, who is 8 time zones away from me, is phan trash enough now that they texted me "omg dan is alive and has Phil's phone".

We're all starved.
noodlebum
flower crown

Love that even on someone elses instastory, Dan's still the guy with the long arms holding the phone for the group selfie :lol:
idk wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:30 pm In terms of brands and how they present themselves to us/the internet/the world, I think solo brands and solo content are what they’ll be selling and prioritising from here on out.
Yeah, I agree, and it is probably a good thing for them both to want to grow as individuals, explore solo projects/ideas etc., but I will just miss their dynamic together (even if it only once/twice a year). It was all hinted at and inevitable. 2018 really was great for it.

I've started listening to joint podcasts a little instead to fill the gap, but I don't really like others dynamics as much (at the moment, probably need to look for more to listen to).
bevioletsky
glabella

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm
Quoting because surely this deserves to be on this page as well.

I saw (and like @noodlebum said above!) that the original brightonbeachbuddies boomerang was on Dan’s instastory, and who knows why they put it on Phil’s now despite Dan taking it but I can’t with the reminder of them being such a unit still.

I guess that’s a segue to the joint-whatever-discussion, I definitely was talking about joint content and ‘quitting’ (making videos, appearances, w/e), not branding, when I said I don’t think it’s fully dead, as were some of the posts above me, but I guess some people talk about them interchangeably, which could be confusing. Though I agree with @alittledizzy that pronouncing even the branding Dead with absolute certainty seems maybe a little premature, to me – I think it may be, but do I know that they’ll never, say, release joint merch again? No. I don’t know, I’m not certain about anything.
fairylights
crusty sponge

hi, i finally decided to post something after lurking for two years?

i'm not too bothered by the hiatus? now, my opinion might change, and has changed, a bit, but at the end of the day, it doesn't really bother me that much. i like seeing their faces in whatever capacity they let us see them. idk, maybe it's just that they make me happy, even with the lack of content.
fancybum
senpai

Currently basking in the highly unlikely possibility of Phil livening up his Q&A somehow with a guest or 2. I’m not that interested in yet another video in front of his boring setup (preferred the bedroom tbh). I’ve seen some people do the assumptions tag with other people there so there’s a little back-and-forth, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for a Q&A. (Not holding my breath though, obvs).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:22 pm Currently basking in the highly unlikely possibility of Phil livening up his Q&A somehow with a guest or 2. I’m not that interested in yet another video in front of his boring setup (preferred the bedroom tbh). I’ve seen some people do the assumptions tag with other people there so there’s a little back-and-forth, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for a Q&A. (Not holding my breath though, obvs).
If we're going in the direction of unlikely theories, can maybe someone crabstick shaped wander through the room during this fantasy Q&A?
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:45 pm
fancybum wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:22 pm Currently basking in the highly unlikely possibility of Phil livening up his Q&A somehow with a guest or 2. I’m not that interested in yet another video in front of his boring setup (preferred the bedroom tbh). I’ve seen some people do the assumptions tag with other people there so there’s a little back-and-forth, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work for a Q&A. (Not holding my breath though, obvs).
If we're going in the direction of unlikely theories, can maybe someone crabstick shaped wander through the room during this fantasy Q&A?
Yes, yes they can. And THEN can Dan and someone crabstick shaped sit down and have a long and drawn out discussion about all the fear and procrastination and second-guessing involved in being an online creator/personality??? Can Dan do a less hokey Shane Dawsonesque ~documentary about the mind of crabstickz???? (No he can’t but OMG I WANT)

edit: actually, I’d like to amend “less hokey” to “hokier” since Chris wouldn’t take it seriously and dinof is supposed to be comedy (or used to be?). The more ridiculous, the better
Last edited by fancybum on Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:54 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:45 pm
Yes, yes they can. And THEN can Dan and someone crabstick shaped sit down and have a long and drawn out discussion about all the fear and procrastination and second-guessing involved in being an online creator/personality??? Can Dan do a less hokey Shane Dawsonesque ~documentary about the mind of crabstickz???? (No he can’t but OMG I WANT)
Dan. Dan. Look. Living your truth and all is a worthy goal out of life, but here me out: just be a less hokey Shane Dawson instead. Shane started with graveyardgirl; you've got crab person right there whose mind is teeming with weirdness you can unlayer for us. It'll be a hit. Can't go wrong. In my heart at least.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 pm Dan. Dan. Look. Living your truth and all is a worthy goal out of life, but here me out: just be a less hokey Shane Dawson instead.
:tinfoil: And then..ummm... maybe take another leaf out of Shane's book and do a proposal video on your boyfriend's roommate's channel.

:garbage:
fancybum
senpai

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 pm Dan. Dan. Look. Living your truth and all is a worthy goal out of life, but here me out: just be a less hokey Shane Dawson instead. Shane started with graveyardgirl; you've got crab person right there whose mind is teeming with weirdness you can unlayer for us. It'll be a hit. Can't go wrong. In my heart at least.
If they even just wanted to explore a haunted house and not have any deep conversations at all, I wouldn’t be mad at it :ghostclaps: There are a lot of options is the takeaway here I think. COUGH COUGH @ DAN (and to a lesser degree cough cough @ Chris but he’s actually been delivering some sweet sweet #content lately)
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

bevioletsky wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:58 pm
Grey wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:05 pm Yup, they absolutely planned this. They even started to tell us in the first II show but then people freaked out so they decided it’s better to just let us hold onto false hope that eventually fizzles out.
I still don’t think joint content is fully done (though I haven’t at any point been expecting anything as frequent to return as when the gaming channel was a thing), but I’ve been thinking about that part from the first ii shows that they then dropped as well. In light of that all of this isn’t very surprising, I agree. But... I guess I want to approach what they say from a good-faith perspective, and think that they are and have been genuinely figuring stuff out. I like to believe that the reassuring things they said in the last liveshow came from a point of believing in what they said.

That goes for Dan’s intentions to upload as well, I think they’ve been sincere. I suppose I get the skepticism as to whether he ever will, considering that I for instance seem to remember him being all ‘lol, imagine if it was a December vid’ in relation to the whole June-vid thing last year. And yeah, I think I feel more optimistic than many but seeing him upload even somewhat regularly in the future does seem rather utopian, innit. I ended up watching philosophytube’s stream last night because it showed up on my yt front-page with the title ‘Bad Day? Chill stream’ and that spoke to me, and at some point he said that the best creative advice he’d ever got was that it doesn’t have to be good, just has to exist. I related it to Dan as I seem to do with a lot of things recently, and I know this isn’t exactly an original point but I suppose that’s all I wish of him (and for him, honestly) at the moment – that he’s doing something. It’d be nice if he felt some of it was worthy of publishing but eh. We’ll see. Eventually.
hard agree with all of this! also, what dizzy said, especially the part that I bolded:
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:08 pm I think what I don't respond well to is the overly dramatic catastrophizing feel of unilaterally announcing joint content is dead or danandphil is dead. Are they pulling back? Yep. Is that probably healthier for them personally? Yep. There's every likelihood that last year was exhausting and didn't turn out to be as emotionally fulfilling or sustainable for them and that there are drawbacks to doing nothing but joint content or some kind of personal toll on never having time together not focused on what their next joint video/appearance/liveshow/etc is, and they wouldn't share with us. In which case, I applaud them for giving it a really strong effort with a solid year of full joint branding before stopping to assess.
All in all, I personally think that they need to find a balance between individual and joint content that works for them. I guess during Tabinof/Tatinof era that was more or less the case (which is, for example, reflected in the nature of Tabinof, where for almost every entry we have a "Phil" version and a "Dan" version which are quite distinctive), but after Dan began to really struggle with his own content, the joint branding offered a sort of a crutch, where Dan could continue to appear on the gaming channel throughout the last year, thus "feeding" the audience, even if he apparently had much difficulty when it came to his own channel. That was actually something that Deppy themselves said in one of the liveshows, I think it was Phil, in response to "Dan's video when?", that you could watch Dan on the gaming channel instead. Well, it doesn't seem to work for them anymore.

Also, people on this forum have already talked a little bit about Phil's role as carer for somebody living with depression and how it would be interesting to have his perspective after "Daniel and depression" (note that I use the term "carer" in the broadest sens possible, I just don't want to focus on Dan's and Phil's relationship whatever that may be, but we know that they live together and that they are close, hence "carer"), but the other issue is how Dan's struggles, be it depression, his perfectionism or whatever else, affect Phil's own creative and business decisions. Phil should be allowed to make his own videos. He should be allowed to release his own merch. If you don't like his 2019 videos, well, you don't have to watch them, as half of the phandom already does, judging by his views. Anyway, @knq has said it already:
knq wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:35 am The biggest thing that keeps me from drawing any sort of conclusion about their plan for the future of joint content is Dan’s withdrawal from his public life. It only makes sense that if Dan has a need to separate himself from his content/audience and Phil doesn’t, that they have separate schedules and content. Pushing Dan to create when he’s not ready or preventing Phil from creating when he is would both be unhealthy decisions for them.
I don't really want to get into the discourse about the audience's expectations, entitlement, and what not, and I don't want to invalidate anyone's feelings, it's completely justified to feel sad about not getting the kind of content that you like and you are used to - and ultimately, all of this might be damaging for the phandom, people being fed up with waiting, leaving fandom, etc., but I don't see any tragedy in what's happening, especially if it's something that Dan and Phil believe is better for them, and I suspect they do, otherwise why would they do it.

re: Easter baking/mixing ingredients and putting them in the fridge, what I really want to see is just an ordinary joint video, like those we were used to, with maybe a tiniest nod to Dan's continued general withdrawal from media and an obligatory offhand remark to address negativity in the phandom - also by Dan in his usual style, like, "bitch, you thought we were done with joint content? we told you that nothing was gonna change" (I should mention that I must be the only one person in the phandom who in all sincerity likes the "Phil's coat" story for its sarcasm and glorious delivery, hehe). And also maybe a reference to how could he pass on an opportunity to eat something sweet *insert moaning*. I know, I know, sounds unrealistic, but a girl can dream, right? :?

sorry for the waffles :breakfast:
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

If we're not judging : my heart went funny when i saw the picture and I actually screamed. It was so unexpected! Sometimes, i have this waves of feelings and I realise how much I miss Dan. Please, come back.
:gayaf:
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

Loved the beach selfie, I miss them and I'm excited for Phil's vid whenever that's gonna be (tonight ?).
I don't think joint content is dead. For me, at the moment, Dan content is dead and because Dan is half of them, that implies joint content is dead too now but has no reason not to come back after Dan does too.
Like a few have said, I believe it probably won't get back to the almost oversharing from 2018 because that was also inextricably linked to them being on tour and to them making a huge radical shift towards being more open. It was also probably very exhausting (both fan always knowing what you're up to & doing so many things) and they have no reason to keep up with this rythm this year.
But we already know the mukbang will come back and even if it probably won't be as many videos as before, I expect frequent videos/liveshows etc together, it would be weird to force themselves to go back to being a 2014-level of separated for no reason at all. At least, I'm sure that once Dan is back, we're gonna see him plenty on Phil's channel haha
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

The Dan/Mr Stickz collab ideas sound absolutely sublime :sunshine:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Annnd Phil has already liked it. :love1:
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Dan /Crabstickz would be such a wild 2019 ticket :lol:

A haiku about Phil not having posted the video yet:

A bright light flashes
Upload failed: press continue?
Cold winds howl in rage
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Aw, and Phil is wearing his NASA shoes in the story, how appropriate. :love2:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
kavat
pastel persona

I just want to appreciate the level of detail in the recreation of the old boomerang? Dan's little wave, PJ and the pebbles, Sophies weird squat and Phil's starfish jump are all on point.
10/10 :cheer:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ooh, I can’t imagine how long it might have taken me to stumble upon the older one and figure that out myself, good deduction! And dedication from the cute quartet on the sand. My first thought in seeing it, or maybe my second, was just that Phil has a new jacket again. It probably wasn’t very warm by the sea, it’s chilly enough in London.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

^^ Since Dan is wearing the same thing & his hair is at the same level of curliness it looks like he just stayed there this whole time and waited for the others to come back a year later. :lol:

Re Dan's tweet: Okay it took me forever to figure out why Dan made the black hole a Virgo (I was looking up their traits and everything) but then realized that the hole is located in a galaxy within the Virgo constellation. (someone in his twitter comments also made a muse reference and from that I also found out that this black hole is the one that inspired muse's black holes and revelations album)
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

I didn't get the joke, so I had to look it up. From this article:
A massive international collaboration of researchers has released the first-ever direct image of the hellish environment surrounding a supermassive black hole. As part of the Event Horizon Telescope (EHT) project, the team used a global array of telescopes to probe the fiery disk of material swirling around the gargantuan black hole at the center of the galaxy M87.
[...]
Messier 87 (M87) is a behemoth elliptical galaxy that sits some 53 million light-years from Earth. This giant holds trillions of stars and helps anchor the roughly 2,000 galaxies — including the Milky Way — that make up our local cosmic city, dubbed the Virgo Cluster. In turn, the Virgo Cluster is a primary component of the much larger Virgo Supercluster.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
noodlebum
flower crown

anna_begins wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:35 pm ^^ Since Dan is wearing the same thing & his hair is at the same level of curliness it looks like he just stayed there this whole time and waited for the others to come back a year later. :lol:
This is very true :lol:
knq
lava lamp

I wonder how delayed Phil’s IG stories are? Should we hope for an upload soon or nah?