Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

^^Comes back, makes a cake, and disappears again - you're right, I can totally see him doing that. And like what's been said here - he has a built in joke already made for him with the returning from the dead on Easter thing.
obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:40 pm Not a fan of Dan's climate change tweets. Ever. Maybe I'm over sensitive since it's a trigger of mine, but I find his tweets about it always in very poor taste. Ah well. I'll sit around and wait for that selfie next year then (though on that topic, I find his wording with recovering his energy interesting)
Yeah, I totally understand not liking dark humor about serious topics (I felt that way when people were creating hunchback memes when Notre Dame was still burning) but what I like about his climate change tweets is that they highlight the ridiculousness of the situation. Here we are literally killing our planet but we appear to be more concerned about getting just the right light for our selfies/won't have to bother with bugs/etc. I think I'd be bothered by the tweets if I didn't know he's actually concerned about the climate and is actually making personal changes to to help with the situation.

I thought the "recovering his energy" wording was interesting too. I think a lot of us assumed there was more to the hiatus than Dan just trying to figure out next steps regarding content and it seems like he just confirmed that.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Grey wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:32 pm Making Easter themed slime on my lap ?
This made me LOL. I can totally imagine him doing that!
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

y'all are thinking too big. it's obviously gonna be Drawing My Users with Bunny Ears :cherryblossom:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

New video ideas that I feel have an equally likely chance of happening:

"my boyfriend does my makeup challenge"
"Hot boys on teen cribs II"
"easter baking with dan"
obvsly
#relatable

rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:58 pm y'all are thinking too big. it's obviously gonna be Drawing My Users with Bunny Ears :cherryblossom:
... while wearing my NEW MERCH :o
knq
lava lamp

Phil's just out there like: lol all your theories are wrong
Ablissa
pastel persona

Stakhanov wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:22 pm lol. You don't seem to understand that this post wasn't about you.
AWWW YOU'RE SUCH A SMART COOKIE! 😍
I'm sorry but I do have to point out that this is a public forum and you don't have to talk to me directly for me to be able to respond. ❤️ Such a shame right?

:cherryblossom: :cherryblossom: :cherryblossom:

I'm surprised the merch is actually happening now? Does this mean we're getting the Q&A as well? Whatever, I'll take anything at this point.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Well I guess we won't have the back-up video and instead have the actual q&a video tomorrow?
:gayaf:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Okay but I am intrigued. If merch comes out tomorrow, does that mean that the problems with the q&a aren't merch-related after all? Or they were but they got solved today? Hmm.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Birdie
blobfish

knq wrote:Dan has straight up said he doesn't like being a 'full time' youtuber. Why would he make a 'comeback' to something he doesn't love or doesn't intend to continue doing? It makes as much sense for him to show up occasionally, make a joke about his absence, and then bake a cake, imo.
I agree with this. I'm kinda sure it's over. I'm not saying Dan won't come back ever but I don't think we'll get regular content from him again and I'm actually fine with that. I'd say I would like to hear it from him though but I guess announcing you're quitting Youtube is such a big thing, he might not want to do it before he's 100% sure it's the right choice. I might be wrong and I'll be happy for y'all who want him to come back if he actually does, but I can't see it anymore and I think it'd be for the best. He clearly struggles with Youtube immensly and he has said he doesn't really like it anymore, so quitting (or only doing Youtube once in a blue moon when he feels like it) would probably be good for him.

I know I shouldn't compare them, but I'm looking at Phil trying to get his channel back on track again and clearly still wanting to do Youtube and I'm looking at Dan just... struggling and needing such a long rest away from it and it's a world of difference. I'm not doubting he wanted to actually come back late last year (making new solo merch, announcing new content etc.) but I think he might not want that anymore, just based on how this hiatus has nearly lasted 4 months now and he has barely even tweeted.

I'm personally completely fine with it, if that's what's happening. I don't want content from him if it's forced or if he doesn't really want to make it but feels he has to. But no matter what's up with him and what he actually wants to do, I hope he does it soon, as long as he's still relevant. He's still popular right now and that might seriously help him get another job in the industry (if that's what he wants) but he won't be this popular much longer without content. But idk, maybe he's so rich by now he doesn't even have to think about this and if that's the case, good for him. He (and this fandom) was such a big part of my life a few years ago, no matter how annoyed I am with him sometimes, I want him to be okay and happy.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Conversely.... maybe the technical issue wasn't merch after all? Maybe he's waiting to do something for the Q&A that he can't just yet?
Amiaw
interactive introvert

rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 pm Conversely.... maybe the technical issue wasn't merch after all? Maybe he's waiting to do something for the Q&A that he can't just yet?
I miss the days in phandom when Phil was the predictable one. Now it seems like there’s always some mystery around his videos.

Phil, if you’re out there please feel free to start talking about your favorite candy and animal facts again - I need some stability
padfoot
smol bean

Stakhanov wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:20 pm Doesn't seem like anything is coming in the place after the end of the II era.
Maybe it's for the best. This fandom is past its expiration date.
I have to say I agree.

Negativity under spoiler - just incase yall don't wanna read it
With Phil killing all my hopes about his new content and Dan tweeting once or twice a week then disappearing... most casual viewers already packed their bags and left. It looks like they will be continuing with their core fanbase which are mostly shippers. I believe it's been already talked about here that they're not really giving many signals about continuing the d&p brand. I wonder how the big portion of the fanbase is gonna react to that (imo, not very positively).

also, I'm still feeling :? about the merch. Like. Alright, I guess.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

anna_begins wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 pm
Yeah, I totally understand not liking dark humor about serious topics (I felt that way when people were creating hunchback memes when Notre Dame was still burning) but what I like about his climate change tweets is that they highlight the ridiculousness of the situation. Here we are literally killing our planet but we appear to be more concerned about getting just the right light for our selfies/won't have to bother with bugs/etc. I think I'd be bothered by the tweets if I didn't know he's actually concerned about the climate and is actually making personal changes to to help with the situation.
It's interesting to me, although I imagine just a coincidence, that it's basically the same "joke" as in the Amanda Palmer song "Smile (Pictures or It Didn't Happen)" (which I used for my femslash fest fic title, oops). I think it's a lot harder to read tone in a tweet, as opposed to the dark irony that I find pretty clear in the song (although also the song's apocalypse is more vague, so maybe that makes it seem more removed from reality and less sensitive).
goodbants
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Katka wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 pm
knq wrote:Dan has straight up said he doesn't like being a 'full time' youtuber. Why would he make a 'comeback' to something he doesn't love or doesn't intend to continue doing? It makes as much sense for him to show up occasionally, make a joke about his absence, and then bake a cake, imo.
I agree with this. I'm kinda sure it's over. I'm not saying Dan won't come back ever but I don't think we'll get regular content from him again and I'm actually fine with that. I'd say I would like to hear it from him though but I guess announcing you're quitting Youtube is such a big thing, he might not want to do it before he's 100% sure it's the right choice. I might be wrong and I'll be happy for y'all who want him to come back if he actually does, but I can't see it anymore and I think it'd be for the best. He clearly struggles with Youtube immensly and he has said he doesn't really like it anymore, so quitting (or only doing Youtube once in a blue moon when he feels like it) would probably be good for him.

I know I shouldn't compare them, but I'm looking at Phil trying to get his channel back on track again and clearly still wanting to do Youtube and I'm looking at Dan just... struggling and needing such a long rest away from it and it's a world of difference. I'm not doubting he wanted to actually come back late last year (making new solo merch, announcing new content etc.) but I think he might not want that anymore, just based on how this hiatus has nearly lasted 4 months now and he has barely even tweeted.

I'm personally completely fine with it, if that's what's happening. I don't want content from him if it's forced or if he doesn't really want to make it but feels he has to. But no matter what's up with him and what he actually wants to do, I hope he does it soon, as long as he's still relevant. He's still popular right now and that might seriously help him get another job in the industry (if that's what he wants) but he won't be this popular much longer without content. But idk, maybe he's so rich by now he doesn't even have to think about this and if that's the case, good for him. He (and this fandom) was such a big part of my life a few years ago, no matter how annoyed I am with him sometimes, I want him to be okay and happy.
I think I just have to accept that this is the truth. I miss Dan a lot but I don’t know how much longer I can keep clinging on to the hope that he’s coming back. I honestly just feel sad cause the thought of never seeing his internet presence again makes me want to cry. But it is best for him, and I want him to be happy. I’ve just been really missing him and that’s the honest truth. The thought of him never coming back is really hard to accept :(
:sparkle: this was the most fun i've ever had :sparkle:
gnostic
stress mushroom

Amiaw wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:02 pm
rizzo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:57 pm Conversely.... maybe the technical issue wasn't merch after all? Maybe he's waiting to do something for the Q&A that he can't just yet?
I miss the days in phandom when Phil was the predictable one. Now it seems like there’s always some mystery around his videos.

Phil, if you’re out there please feel free to start talking about your favorite candy and animal facts again - I need some stability

Yeah now Phil is the mysterious one and Dan is the predictable one. In that he predictably Does Not Post Content.

This is a fascinating time for me given the reasons I was originally invested in the DnP, but I commiscerate with all of you strongly
Just here for the marketing skills
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

padfoot wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:10 pm I believe it's been already talked about here that they're not really giving many signals about continuing the d&p brand. I wonder how the big portion of the fanbase is gonna react to that (imo, not very positively).
Welcome to the forum ;) Interesting remarks. It's getting to that point that the knot needs to be untied right? Unless the DAPG has already floated away and fell off the edge of the ocean. If i remember the last livestream well Dan was very careful about the language he wanted Phil to use, castigating Phil for the use of "Hiatus" because of the association with My Chemical Romance. So DAPG is supposed to return *in some shape or form*. But if that's the game plan, it doesn't look like the restart is just around the corner yet.

Yea goodbants... I've been silently waving Dan goodbye since a year or so ago. Living my truth could have been such a nice start to something new... but then Dan never followed up. Maybe all of the talk about the video (was he coming out?) and then the liveshow drama following on it had a negative impact. If you watch his liveshow titled "Oral fixation" where he shows us how in a previous take of the video he didn't even talk at all about "things going in and out of his mouth", you can read his annoyance between the lines. It's not really even between the lines :lol: I think he hated how people were focusing so much about the oral remark and reading all kinds of things in it he didn't intended. Maybe he was testing the water for a more mature conversation with the audience. Maybe that failed in his eyes.
But... I'm speculating. I don't know what it is that keeps Dan from making content, but I'm hopeful he will return with a new type of content he enjoys making. I agree he's on the clock and shouldn't wait to long with making a return - or career switch.
Both of them, for many reasons I feel, are pretty much doomed to become less relevant unless they were to drastically change up stuff and experience a new golden period of growth. Instead of the relative decline that's already shown in the viewing numbers. Like Dan said, you have little ways to measure your success as a youtuber, and for understandable reasons you tend to focus a lot on things like views and subscribers, and risk tying your sense of (professional) self-worth in with that. I think making content you personally enjoy making more, or only working as a part-time internet homo, is the only way to regain that passion and sense of accomplishment that could be under pressure with a shrinking audience.

But I'm holding out hope he'll return. And some form of joint content will probably be part of that if they keep living together. It's not really ever going to be like it was imo. And I'm fine with that.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
knq
lava lamp

I don’t really understand the logic in releasing merch after a month of inactivity. It seems like engagement with an audience would be a pretty important precursor to selling new stuff based on your brand. But also Phil’s tweet already has 14,000 likes after a few hours of being up, so maybe his audience is so large and invested that short term engagement doesn’t matter as much?
Ataraxia25
flower crown

knq wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:13 pm I don’t really understand the logic
My reaction to anything the boys do (or don't do) right now.
:gayaf:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:52 am
knq wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:13 pm I don’t really understand the logic
My reaction to anything the boys do (or don't do) right now.
Mood.

"I don't really understand the logic" new thread name.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Off topic but Grace Helbig's new video (I Don't Like My Content) is really relevant to what Dan seems to be going through at the moment. They seem to be in a very similar place in a lot of different ways and it was interesting to hear Grace articulate that same types of things we've been hearing from Dan.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Sad phandom news from Twitter last night, phandom mom has passed away.
I also found Dan’s tweet in immensely poor taste. I’d be surprised if he knows how bad the science shows things to be.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Yes it's sad news. I didn't know phandom mom personally, but remember the picture of her meeting Dan and Phil and that will stay with me. The family launched a gofundme campaign to help with the costs of the funeral, a link is on the twitter page of phandom mom if you're interested.

Odd. I took Dan's tweet as an invitation to reflect about our current priorities and understood it as bringing attention to the matter. There are still plenty of people in this world and the global Dan and Phil community who don't even believe global warming is real or caused by humans.
So I think his tweet is in good taste. It's worded for entertainment value, that's clear. Dan (so far) is an entertainer, and not an environmental activist.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
liola
rankussy

Dan's tweet just made me roll my eyes and I didn't interact with it. It's not the first time he tweets something like that and at this point, like, what is the point? That isn't the way to talk about a situation that is serious and impacts all of us. One joke, two jokes, three... If he wants to use the selfie joke, a better way could've been posting a selfie or a random pic of, idk, something that shows an actual thing to be done to help the conversation, even sipping on a drink with a metal straw.

But Dan loves to be relatable and he needed to fill his tweet quota so I'm (sadly) not surprised?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
autumnhearth
senpai

flarequake wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:29 am Sad phandom news from Twitter last night, phandom mom has passed away.
Ohh... :</3: I don’t have concrete beliefs about the afterlife, but I hope she is at peace with her husband. She was very sweet and generous.