Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:02 am
liola wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm I honestly cannot believe for one second that Dan and Phil of all people would invest time money and energy renovating a house to their own taste and then just sell it right away. There is no universe that is going to happen. Maybe, in a distant future they thought they might sell it again once the value is upped, but not right away just for them to what, go back renting? After buying and renovating a house?
I don’t think Phil would have had a genuine fear of being murder haunted over a house he didn’t plan on living in. In my opinion it’s obtuse to ignore context of how Dan and Phil choose to convey life information to us in favor of clinging to a narrow technicality but whatever makes people happy I guess. It’s just very amusing to see the exact same path some people took before the last move he clung to again.
Well you may find it obtuse to not assume your preconceived notion of how you think he's signalling us the notion that "Dan and Phil are buying a home", I think it's tendentious to describe Phil's rather specific explanation about what they were planning to do with the house as a "narrow technicality"
Maybe time will tell us if they will actually buy a house together one day, and how long they keep living in it.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

This is so dumb and I love it so much.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Stakhanov wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:27 am
liola wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm I honestly cannot believe for one second that Dan and Phil of all people would invest time money and energy renovating a house to their own taste and then just sell it right away. There is no universe that is going to happen. Maybe, in a distant future they thought they might sell it again once the value is upped, but not right away just for them to what, go back renting? After buying and renovating a house?
I don’t think Phil would have had a genuine fear of being murder haunted over a house he didn’t plan on living in. In my opinion it’s obtuse to ignore context of how Dan and Phil choose to convey life information to us in favor of clinging to a narrow technicality but whatever makes people happy I guess. It’s just very amusing to see the exact same path some people took before the last move he clung to again.
Well you may find it obtuse to not assume your preconceived notion of how you think he's signalling us the notion that "Dan and Phil are buying a home", I think it's tendentious to describe Phil's rather specific explanation about what they were planning to do with the house as a "narrow technicality"
Maybe time will tell us if they will actually buy a house together one day, and how long they keep living in it.
Not to prolong the conversation but I just went back to The Creepy Mind of Phil Lester starting at 9:05 Phil literally says “they have to tell you when you’re renting if someone’s been murdered there because we were going to rent somewhere and they said “3 murders happened in the bedroom” and we were like “no thank you”

It’s not a huge change but Phil specifically said twice that they were looking to rent, not buy, and although dan alluded to there being more to the story we were given a version of events that fit what Phil wanted at that moment.

We are all just speculating but it’s not a reach to assume that Phil is/has/or will change details of an event.
alien
procrastinator

as someone who just genuinely enjoys having a skin care routine and who really loves how my skin feels because of it i am so appalled at phil's skin care routine. like pause the video and stare at him in disbelief appalled. (i also can't get over how gross his pillowcase must be???? phil please at least rinse your face every night???)

i've never been on the moving hill or whatever but idk man i might be taking a stroll up it soon.

my favorite part of the video was the april fool's text. hilarious. and dan fell for it which makes it even better.

i really hope phil gets to make whatever story is in his head. how exciting!

the vase joke will never get old.

phil giving advice about being an adult and also having social anxiety is nice.

my favorite video of the year? idk i've loved all of them and phil makes me happy so easily :happytears:
black_rat
squish

I absolutely loved the video <3 <3 There were so many things in it that made me so so so happy. And man do I wish one day they would tell us about all the failed and rejected projects they were consider doing.

I am very confused that they wanted to flip a house. Does anyone think they would want to buy an old cheap house and improve it for their "forever home"? Why wouldn't they just buy a new house, which is definitely more convenient. They don't strike me as people who enjoy or are qualified doing work on a house.
I think what happened was that they were looking at houses and this one was so cheap that while it was not for them, they would have considered it as an opportunity to make more money. But when it turned out that people died there, they did not only want to flip it, but turn it into a YouTube series. And then it failed because of various reasons. (I feel like this is a story where it would help to have Dan's perspective because he explains stuff more.)

Also Phil has an idea that he wants to make into something?? YES PLEASE! :cheer:

Everyone is still occupied thinking about Phil's "horrible" skin care routine - I think I don't even have anything I would call a skin care routine. What I am more concerned about is that Dan wouldn't be tipped off that something is wrong if Phil tells him he suddenly likes cheese. As someone who hates cheese as much as Phil does, I am horrified.

The vase joke never gets old, but I do wish he would stop dabbing.
knq
lava lamp

Amiaw wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:19 am
Not to prolong the conversation but I just went back to The Creepy Mind of Phil Lester starting at 9:05 Phil literally says “they have to tell you when you’re renting if someone’s been murdered there because we were going to rent somewhere and they said “3 murders happened in the bedroom” and we were like “no thank you”

It’s not a huge change but Phil specifically said twice that they were looking to rent, not buy, and although dan alluded to there being more to the story we were given a version of events that fit what Phil wanted at that moment.

We are all just speculating but it’s not a reach to assume that Phil is/has/or will change details of an event.
I'd be quite interested to know if real estate people are required to disclose murders occurring in a location to renters or only to potential buyers. My guess would be just to buyers, as I think that requirement relies upon disclosing information which would lower the property value, and property value is only relevant to buyers. A renter can move out. A buyer is stuck with the house and, if they did want to flip it or sell it, the burden of then disclosing that information to future interested parties.

I tried googling it but the whole thing is too murky for me. Anyway, considering Phil said they were rather far into the process and apparently had a lawyer involved as well it sounds like more of a buying situation. Which is exciting! I still think 'Forever Home' sounds like a euphemism for a grave, but the idea of Dan and Phil settling into a house that belongs to them and getting to customize it however they want is pleasant. Jenna Marbles just adopted a rescue dog and while I'm kind of neutral on the idea of dnp adopting a puppy I can really imagine them bonding with and learning to care for a rescue dog.
padfoot
smol bean

The idea of "d&p house flipping show" stole my kneecaps. I can't believe I am robbed of this concept possibly forever now. :sadgarbage:
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Watched that clip back and now I remember why the murder story sounded familiar. Yea, he's definitely inconsistent there, and unless everything else he said was also just a lie, looks to me that it's more likely they were buying a house. Still, the fact that he spoke about renting the house in the Creepy Mind of Phil Lester doesn't change that he's giving quite some context about the reasons they were planning to buy the dilapidated house and flip it. He's even saying they were thinking about doing a series about the transformation (so the renovation) of the house. This could all be a total, but I sure don't see it as just a "narrow technicality" if the question is what we can make of this story in the context of a possible 'forever home'.
which thinking about it does sound like a horrible euphenism for a home you'll die in of old age. IT'S TIME FOR YOU TO MOVE TO YOUR FOREVER HOME, MARGARET :lol:

Anyway If they are looking for a place buy with a koi pond and all that: great. He doesn't need to 'prepare' me for anything I would be happy if they announced they find a home they bought and wanted to renovate and decorate it and spend their whole lives in. But as I see it, there's nothing really in this story that shows that intention. Flipping a house is different from picking a place to live your life in. I'll see what happens in their next move(s).

The real positive thing about this video imo is that Phil really seems to be willing to share some more. I hope these Q&A's become a semi-regular thing. I've seen nothing but postive feedback about this video, so I hope he realizes just how much people love this personal anecdotes and that he can talk about a wide variety of topics including some more mature ones. Maybe the new joint content should be them breaking up floors, installing plumbing, painting walls and bickering over color samples. A worthy successor to Dan and Phil crafts :lol:
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
laurenbacall
delia smith

as much as i know i would absolutely love to watch dnp do up a house, i would be very uncomfortable with them buying somewhere just to flip it. this country has such a problem with homelessness and with exploitative house prices (especially in london), so the idea of rich people buying up cheap houses because they're bored and feel like house development would be a fun pastime just makes me feel sick.

big yes to a dnp-forever-home design series. big no to the dnp-use-housing-as-a-get-rich-quick-scheme idea.
liola
rankussy

I would bite off my own kneecap and swallow it dry if they haven't actually invested in property. Honestly, the brick market is probably the one option most people go in when they have funds that they want to secure. We can talk about the ethics of it but even if they did own a place (or multiple) and rented it out I don't really think we can blame them for perpetrating homelessness, which should be a concern of government and not two wealthy people who want to have a stable income. But it's a gray area imo.

Rewatching the video, I'm still surprised about the title he chose. It's not a matter of saying it's a Q&A or not, but that title isn't very catchy especially with YouTube standards. He didn't even have to go clickbaity with it but that just doesn't sound right. My content marketing heart is struggling a bit
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
kavat
pastel persona

I would have hoped that skincare guru Caroline Hirons would have given some tips when she gave them a facial back in the day, she would weep if she saw that Nivea cream.

The house story has some plot holes but I don't really care. They phrase and twist stories all the time to keep the level of privacy they need. It doesn't bother me, but it's kind of fun to try and figure out the actual truth.
rikonee
drama llama

liola wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 10:36 am I would bite off my own kneecap and swallow it dry if they haven't actually invested in property. Honestly, the brick market is probably the one option most people go in when they have funds that they want to secure. We can talk about the ethics of it but even if they did own a place (or multiple) and rented it out I don't really think we can blame them for perpetrating homelessness, which should be a concern of government and not two wealthy people who want to have a stable income. But it's a gray area imo.

Rewatching the video, I'm still surprised about the title he chose. It's not a matter of saying it's a Q&A or not, but that title isn't very catchy especially with YouTube standards. He didn't even have to go clickbaity with it but that just doesn't sound right. My content marketing heart is struggling a bit
+1. I also believe they have invested in property and land. Also imho, the way Phil talked about the house renovation thing makes me believe that he has some familiarity about it. Sounds like it’s not the first time he has to deal with properties, real estates, etc.
Almost married PJ. we broke up tho
-Philip Michael Lester, 2008
autumnhearth
senpai

Phil apparently just needs to buy the product that gets advertised to me in front of all of their videos lately by James Corden and Chloë Grace Moretz. SK-II. (I’m seriously getting tired of these bare skin chats and yet I also want to try it... but no that wouldn’t get oil and dirt off, it’s the equivalent of splashing midsummer morning dew on your face. Excuse me while I go scrub around my nose.)
gnostic
stress mushroom

I hate men. No seriously. The entire male gender. Okay maybe not the entire male gender but the overwhelming majority of it that can have trash / no skincare routine and still have amazing skin because their hormones and skin are far less wacky, and also because societal expectations of the state of their skin are so vastly different
/s

But not really

Loved this video, loved Phil.
Just here for the marketing skills
so_cheesy
butt chair

knq wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 am

I'd be quite interested to know if real estate people are required to disclose murders occurring in a location to renters or only to potential buyers. My guess would be just to buyers, as I think that requirement relies upon disclosing information which would lower the property value, and property value is only relevant to buyers. A renter can move out. A buyer is stuck with the house and, if they did want to flip it or sell it, the burden of then disclosing that information to future interested parties.

I tried googling it but the whole thing is too murky for me. Anyway, considering Phil said they were rather far into the process and apparently had a lawyer involved as well it sounds like more of a buying situation. Which is exciting! I still think 'Forever Home' sounds like a euphemism for a grave, but the idea of Dan and Phil settling into a house that belongs to them and getting to customize it however they want is pleasant. Jenna Marbles just adopted a rescue dog and while I'm kind of neutral on the idea of dnp adopting a puppy I can really imagine them bonding with and learning to care for a rescue dog.
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Why wouldn't the property value be relevant to renters too? They have to pay too, rent, which depends on the value of the property.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

My comment had more to do with Phil changing the details of his story to fit whatever narrative he wants to tell at the time. I don’t think the house-flipping idea came out of nowhere but I’m not convinced on the timeline. It seemed to be on their mind last nov/December so maybe they were thinking of trying again and it fell through or they might invest regularly they could also be buying/building/renovating now
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

+1 to what @so_cheesy said

Loved the video, the spon in it - not so much, but whatever, it's fine, I even watched the four ads I got without skipping, that house - now more likely than ever - won't buy itself. But boy oh boy I am uncomfortable with people dissing Phil's skincare routine. People have been asking for this since literally forever, that's why you don't want to be a public person on the Internet. It's not even a health issue, and I understand that most, if not all, critique comes from a place of genuine concern and wanting to help, but I promise you that people of all genders can survive without cleansing and moisturising their face every day, it's actually possible. Also, maybe someone would want to prioritise saving water. Or save money on buying skincare products that they can't even be sure would work. This is, of course, a public forum and I wouldn't dream of trying to police the debate, but I just wanted to remind that skincare, like any other appearance related issue, may be a sensitive topic :?
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

coffeepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:29 pm +1 to what @so_cheesy said

Loved the video, the spon in it - not so much, but whatever, it's fine, I even watched the four ads I got without skipping, that house - now more likely than ever - won't buy itself. But boy oh boy I am uncomfortable with people dissing Phil's skincare routine. People have been asking for this since literally forever, that's why you don't want to be a public person on the Internet. It's not even a health issue, and I understand that most, if not all, critique comes from a place of genuine concern and wanting to help, but I promise you that people of all genders can survive without cleansing and moisturising their face every day, it's actually possible. Also, maybe someone would want to prioritise saving water. Or save money on buying skincare products that they can't even be sure would work. This is, of course, a public forum and I wouldn't dream of trying to police the debate, but I just wanted to remind that skincare, like any other appearance related issue, may be a sensitive topic :?
The backlash against this topic is interesting to me from the pov of someone with a skincare routine that most people would be appalled by. I viewed Phil putting his skincare routine out there in a video, complete with showing off products, as offering the topic up for discussion much the same way anything else in a video would be - like commenting on Dan and Phil playing a video game poorly on the gaming channel or baking something wrong in a baking video. People who consider themselves to have a certain skill or knowledge level at anything - games, baking, skincare - are going to have opinions when they see that topic pop up in a video. Now if the commentary were talking about things that Phil can't change about himself, that aren't product based, I'd feel very uncomfortable with it.

Though to be clear - I'm not saying it's wrong to be uncomfortable, or that people can't express that discomfort. That it's wrong to comment on a skincare routine is a perspective I hadn't considered and I'm trying to consider now thoughtfully. But I also wanted to share my perspective as another non-skincare-invested person to add to the conversation.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

so_cheesy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:16 pm
knq wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:08 am

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Why wouldn't the property value be relevant to renters too? They have to pay too, rent, which depends on the value of the property.
I don't want to veer too off-topic, but rent doesn't depend on the value of the property but instead depends on the rental market, which basically means the number of people looking for somewhere to rent compared to the number of rental units available.

As long as a rental unit meets basic habitability standards (but, seriously, no government agency is doing an inspection), a landlord can charge as much as they want, as long as someone is desperate enough to have somewhere to live that they will pay it. Maybe a nicer place will cost a little more, maybe not. (A larger place, or one in a better location, such as near public transportation or the city center, might cost more.)

I suppose there may be parts of the world where landlords have to offer a better product to get a better price, but the quality of the product is largely irrelevant in locations where vast numbers of people need places to live, and surely London is such a location.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I was surprised by how genuinely offended people seemed to be by his skincare routine, haha. It just looks like he's lucky and has pretty good, low-maintenance skin... my "routine" is similar in that it's irregular/as and when I need it, and I don't use a ton of products, and most of them not daily. Like, I cleanse my face every night before I go to bed, but otherwise, outside of washing it in the shower - eh? Scrub occasionally? Moisturise if it gets a bit dry sometimes (eg winter)? I've tried everything over the years from <£1 washes from the supermarket up to a personal consultation at Selfridges for a bespoke organic Stella McCartney skincare range (which, yikes, that was an Experience) and honestly I don't need a bunch of fancy expensive stuff, just a few pretty basic things like Phil uses (I know I'm fortunate in that I don't need a ton of products).

Loved the house-buying mentions and was surprised to hear that was something they were already planning to do several years ago. I think one thing mentions like this remind me is that we actually have no idea what's going on with them behind-the-scenes most of the time except for the things they choose to share; there's so much we don't know and as much as we speculate and discuss things, we only have a tiny part of the big picture. (Which is good! It just means they often surprise me.)

I'm now mourning the house-series we never got; maybe they can play House Flipper on the gaming channel one day instead. :lol: (If you don't know the game, it's basically the decorating part of the Sims without the characters, except you don't have to actually build the house and you have to clean it first as well.)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Apologies for the double post, but I forgot this in my last one. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything from either of them (especially Phil) about the Avengers, after how excited they've been for it - perhaps they're going today/tomorrow as it's the weekend, but I'd have thought they'd have gone opening night? :shrug:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
isleofmans
first-time poster

Hey guys! I'm a part of the Phandom Monthly, which is a monthly magazine created surrounding Dan and Phil! And since it's the one year anniversary of I.I. we wanted to get others involved to celebrate it!

So to celebrate the one year anniversary of Interactive Introverts we want you guys to send us some of your best memories/moments from your show! We’re going to make a special section in the magazine for this and we’ll try to include as many as we can! If you want to submit a story just click here and it'll take you straight to the form! Thanks!
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Well, that was brilliant. I lost it when he dabbed.

Re: Murder House. I loved the story and how he told it a lot and while I absolutely believe that he and Dan wanted to film themselves renovating it (like Jimmy did), there's no way they meant to flip it. Not when it lines up so well with their moving intentions back then. Also, like Dizzy pointed out, why would he be so scared of being murder haunted, if he didn't mean to live there himself? C'mon. I'm not sure why he'd say they wanted to sell it if that's not true but he probably has a good reason.

I would have loved to see them renovate a house but also it would have probably been a disaster. Maybe they have hidden talents but I just can't see them actually doing the serious building work a house like that would require.

Re: His book idea. Dude, just write it! "I'll do it when I have the time" is so tired, everyone says that, but no one ever just has the time to write a book or screenplay, you have to want it and make the time. (Used to work with writers and rolled my eyes so hard when he said that, how often I've heard it and they never "found the time".)
bevioletsky
glabella

Oh this is interesting, I hadn’t even considered that people would find commenting on Phil’s skincare routine offensive, but it’s good to know that some see it that way. As someone who lives with hormonal acne I know it can be a sensitive issue, and I’d obviously never go critique a stranger’s skincare habits unsolicitedly, but I suppose I don’t really see commenting on what Phil put out there as any more wrong than I find someone... roasting their takeout habits or something, if you want to go with potentially sensitive topics. Basically what dizzy said.

So yeah, I have no problem with anyone not having a “proper” ~skincare routine, if anything I’m only a tiny bit jealous of anyone that feels they can fully go without (+1 on gnostic hating men, lol). Not here to shame anybody, so I’m sorry if I made someone feel uncomfortable as I was one of the people calling his routine terrible. Still, comparing his routine to my personal experience I am a bit appalled - not concerned or genuinely horrified, just, it did make me cringe some. Not a comment on his appearance in any way, just the products and the way he uses them. Also, he literally said he can only use his cleanser about every other day - that means the product is not working. Using a Neutrogena cleanser is cool if it works for you, but for a lot of people those are way too drying. There are plenty of products that are simple and just as affordable and would probably work better for him.

(Also, as an aside, not really related to Phil - skincare can be a health issue. Most of it is about cosmetics and appearances, for sure, which isn’t necessarily wrong but can definitely be criticised. But acne, among other skin issues, can be genuinely painful and all kinds of nasty. Also, sunscreen is really important for everyone and is not just about vanity.)
black_rat
squish

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:07 pm
coffeepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:29 pm +1 to what @so_cheesy said

The backlash against this topic is interesting to me from the pov of someone with a skincare routine that most people would be appalled by. I viewed Phil putting his skincare routine out there in a video, complete with showing off products, as offering the topic up for discussion much the same way anything else in a video would be - like commenting on Dan and Phil playing a video game poorly on the gaming channel or baking something wrong in a baking video. People who consider themselves to have a certain skill or knowledge level at anything - games, baking, skincare - are going to have opinions when they see that topic pop up in a video. Now if the commentary were talking about things that Phil can't change about himself, that aren't product based, I'd feel very uncomfortable with it.

Though to be clear - I'm not saying it's wrong to be uncomfortable, or that people can't express that discomfort. That it's wrong to comment on a skincare routine is a perspective I hadn't considered and I'm trying to consider now thoughtfully. But I also wanted to share my perspective as another non-skincare-invested person to add to the conversation.
I feel like for me there is a difference in commenting on a skill like baking or gaming and what you should do with your body/skin and how you should look like. I personally also get uncomfortable when the phandom discusses their diet, their weight, health issues (e.g. how to treat headaches). For me the skin-care routine also kind of falls into this category. And what type of skin you have or what dermatological problem one might have and what people think should be "fixed" about it, how much time and money you are expected to spend on it, I think should also be for Phil to decide. But I do agree that the topic isn't as sensitive and as long as the conversation is respectful there is not really anything wrong with it.

But I do feel like it is an interesting topic of what we are allowed to discuss when it is shown in a video. Phil also showed us his brain scan, and it was definitely not our place to diagnose him. I don't think that just because they do something in a video means we are allowed to criticise every aspect of it. Also with baking and gaming they have established that they are not the best at playing sims or making decorating cookies and they make fun of themselves, therefore I feel like it is something they allow us to do as well. Generally I think I draw the line when it is about health and body stuff.