Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Lol, well not to make an argument out of it but it's rather ironic to see people debate if commenting on a skincare routine can be interpreted as offensive (literally anything can I since offense can be taken for all kinds of reasons) while at the same time saying how they hate men. Maybe not all, but most of them. Saying you hate a whole category of people is an all star in the offense category. Try replacing I hate *men* with another category of your choice.
I guess it's meant jokingly, but then a "not really" gets added which.. is quite offensive xd

I'm glad I haven't read any dumb criticisms on social media about Phil's skin care routine. Not that any critique of a skin care routine is dumb an sich, but I can imagine how a lot of dumb fights about what supposed to be a 'proper' skin care routine. Where do people get the notion that they should prescribe which and if Phil should use products? So many skincare products make completely hyped up claims or ask a good deal of money for something that dermatologists say doesn't make much of a difference. The best way to hydrate your skin is still water, pure and simple. A very cheap product based on oils or alcohol (depending on your skin type) often is just as effective as those marketed ones.
Everyone should obviously just rub on their skin what they want, but a person making critical comments about Phil's skin routine as 'not proper' can expect a critical reply from me right back lol.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Katka wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:31 pm Well, that was brilliant. I lost it when he dabbed.

Re: Murder House. I loved the story and how he told it a lot and while I absolutely believe that he and Dan wanted to film themselves renovating it (like Jimmy did), there's no way they meant to flip it. Not when it lines up so well with their moving intentions back then. Also, like Dizzy pointed out, why would he be so scared of being murder haunted, if he didn't mean to live there himself? C'mon. I'm not sure why he'd say they wanted to sell it if that's not true but he probably has a good reason.

I would have loved to see them renovate a house but also it would have probably been a disaster. Maybe they have hidden talents but I just can't see them actually doing the serious building work a house like that would require.

Re: His book idea. Dude, just write it! "I'll do it when I have the time" is so tired, everyone says that, but no one ever just has the time to write a book or screenplay, you have to want it and make the time. (Used to work with writers and rolled my eyes so hard when he said that, how often I've heard it and they never "found the time".)
Yes to all of this but especially the book/screenplay/etc part. I was so distracted by the house stuff that it's only just hitting me how truly excited I'd be if he came out with a book, especially something fiction. I know youtubers writing things is a whole load of drama itself, and it's undeniable that someone with Phil's audience would have an unfair heads up when it comes to getting his work published, but I'm still in favor of anyone who has a story in their head and wants to write it just... going the fuck for it.

But who knows - maybe he's just waiting for that forever home to have a nice writing study for him.
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

black_rat wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:08 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:07 pm
coffeepenguin wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:29 pm
+1 to what @so_cheesy said

Loved the video, the spon in it - not so much, but whatever, it's fine, I even watched the four ads I got without skipping, that house - now more likely than ever - won't buy itself. But boy oh boy I am uncomfortable with people dissing Phil's skincare routine. People have been asking for this since literally forever, that's why you don't want to be a public person on the Internet. It's not even a health issue, and I understand that most, if not all, critique comes from a place of genuine concern and wanting to help, but I promise you that people of all genders can survive without cleansing and moisturising their face every day, it's actually possible. Also, maybe someone would want to prioritise saving water. Or save money on buying skincare products that they can't even be sure would work. This is, of course, a public forum and I wouldn't dream of trying to police the debate, but I just wanted to remind that skincare, like any other appearance related issue, may be a sensitive topic :?
The backlash against this topic is interesting to me from the pov of someone with a skincare routine that most people would be appalled by. I viewed Phil putting his skincare routine out there in a video, complete with showing off products, as offering the topic up for discussion much the same way anything else in a video would be - like commenting on Dan and Phil playing a video game poorly on the gaming channel or baking something wrong in a baking video. People who consider themselves to have a certain skill or knowledge level at anything - games, baking, skincare - are going to have opinions when they see that topic pop up in a video. Now if the commentary were talking about things that Phil can't change about himself, that aren't product based, I'd feel very uncomfortable with it.

Though to be clear - I'm not saying it's wrong to be uncomfortable, or that people can't express that discomfort. That it's wrong to comment on a skincare routine is a perspective I hadn't considered and I'm trying to consider now thoughtfully. But I also wanted to share my perspective as another non-skincare-invested person to add to the conversation.
I feel like for me there is a difference in commenting on a skill like baking or gaming and what you should do with your body/skin and how you should look like. I personally also get uncomfortable when the phandom discusses their diet, their weight, health issues (e.g. how to treat headaches). For me the skin-care routine also kind of falls into this category. And what type of skin you have or what dermatological problem one might have and what people think should be "fixed" about it, how much time and money you are expected to spend on it, I think should also be for Phil to decide. But I do agree that the topic isn't as sensitive and as long as the conversation is respectful there is not really anything wrong with it.

But I do feel like it is an interesting topic of what we are allowed to discuss when it is shown in a video. Phil also showed us his brain scan, and it was definitely not our place to diagnose him. I don't think that just because they do something in a video means we are allowed to criticise every aspect of it. Also with baking and gaming they have established that they are not the best at playing sims or making decorating cookies and they make fun of themselves, therefore I feel like it is something they allow us to do as well. Generally I think I draw the line when it is about health and body stuff.
Thank you to everyone who's responded. I should clarify that I really don't find discussing skincare habits, or any topic really, wrong or offensive! Like any discussion, if it's polite then it's informative, it allows us to see different points of view and learn new things, as this discussion has already shown btw. I was just trying to point out, probably in an inept manner, that strongly worded critique of Phil's routine may be interpreted as attacking? I don't know if that's the right word, but I can't find a better one - judging seems too light. But anyway, it may be interpreted as judging other people with similar or nonexistent routines, so people who participate in the discussion or read it may feel uncomfortable if it's something they take personally. And as this topic does deal with appearance and doesn't only depend on skills, I think it's highly likely to be a personal thing for many people.

But I find it interesting that it was a highly requested thing from Phil for a long time and it would've been clear to him that showing it would invite some critique, but he did it anyway, but he did it only this year. It's not a part of his branding that he chose himself to cultivate, like houseplants. I guess this is another step towards his being more open.
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
knq
lava lamp

The entire oddessy of Phil's skin care routine, from excitement over him dropping it to the commentary following it is completely foreign to me. I find it curious rather than upsetting, but there are lots of subjects that I'm not comfortable reading about even if the criticism obviously isn't aimed at me, so I understand that reaction too.

I wash my face with water. I don't even own a cleanser. And I don't understand why James Charles thinks he's my sibling.

If you haven't watched Jenna Marbles' most recent video on her dog adoption, the sit down talk she has with the audience at the end--specifically about keeping the dog adoption private at first and managing audience expectations--is quite interesting and can probably be generalized to a lot of not only what Dan and Phil experience as people with large audiences putting themselves out there on the internet, but just to opening yourself up to Opinions on the internet generally.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I loved the video, and as someone whose skincare ~routine~ is a lot like Phil, I mostly found the horrified responses really funny. we actually have the exact same nivea lotion in the house and my husband was mildly horrified that i was putting it on my face, so i'm really feeling for Phil. :lol: i told him it says "face" right on the tube and he just sighed deeply. (i do use "real" moisturizer now, though.)
knq wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 pm And I don't understand why James Charles thinks he's my sibling.
:lol: ahh i cackled.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

knq wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 pm The entire oddessy of Phil's skin care routine, from excitement over him dropping it to the commentary following it is completely foreign to me. I find it curious rather than upsetting, but there are lots of subjects that I'm not comfortable reading about even if the criticism obviously isn't aimed at me, so I understand that reaction too.
I wonder if some of it was an expectation vs reality situation? People expected an expensive, 10-step Korean skin care regimen and instead got a no-fuss wash, moisturize, exfoliate routine using drugstore brands most people can afford. Which I appreciated tbh.

I enjoyed the whole video and especially enjoyed his energy in it. He seemed relaxed and shared a nice variety of questions. I especially loved the cheese prank exchange lol.
susan2
rainbow nerd

Nice to see a closeup of the up-side-down polaroid too :sunshine:
knq
lava lamp

CapriciousCrab wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:53 pm I enjoyed the whole video and especially enjoyed his energy in it. He seemed relaxed and shared a nice variety of questions. I especially loved the cheese prank exchange lol.
The cheese prank was adorable and I feel we should bring it back from the previous page!
alittledizzy wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:51 am
This is so dumb and I love it so much.
I find it so cute when Phil manages to fool Dan with such an obvious joke. Other highlights include the Sims video with this exchange:
P: It's 7am so we've got really not that much time to waste.
D: Are you joking?
P: ... Yeah, that was a joke.
https://youtu.be/n4Z0QtML2uY?t=378

Unrelated? Maybe. Adorable? Definitely.

Also oh my gosh that polariod :prideheart: :prideheart: :prideheart:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Sorry in advance, I'm on my phone and quoting is tricky.

Also, I'm not trying to stir any drama, feuds, etc.
Stakhanov wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:33 pm Lol, well not to make an argument out of it but it's rather ironic to see people debate if commenting on a skincare routine can be interpreted as offensive (literally anything can I since offense can be taken for all kinds of reasons) while at the same time saying how they hate men. Maybe not all, but most of them. Saying you hate a whole category of people is an all star in the offense category. Try replacing I hate *men* with another category of your choice.
I guess it's meant jokingly, but then a "not really" gets added which.. is quite offensive xd

I'm not the original poster but the post really seemed like a joke so I don't get how it is offensive. But that's only my personal pov.

Stakhanov wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:33 pm I'm glad I haven't read any dumb criticisms on social media about Phil's skin care routine. Not that any critique of a skin care routine is dumb an sich, but I can imagine how a lot of dumb fights about what supposed to be a 'proper' skin care routine. Where do people get the notion that they should prescribe which and if Phil should use products? So many skincare products make completely hyped up claims or ask a good deal of money for something that dermatologists say doesn't make much of a difference. The best way to hydrate your skin is still water, pure and simple. A very cheap product based on oils or alcohol (depending on your skin type) often is just as effective as those marketed ones.
Everyone should obviously just rub on their skin what they want, but a person making critical comments about Phil's skin routine as 'not proper' can expect a critical reply from me right back lol.
As I was one of the people shocked by Phil's skincare routine, I'm gonna answer.
First, I want to remind everyone that we were asked for opinions.
About the "Where do people get the notion that they should prescribe which and if Phil should use products?". I've had acne for more than a decade now and I have "knowledge" on the matter and that's why I offered my perspective as well as my advice.
It's not like I pointed out why I think was wrong in your post about skincare (which I could).
Again, we were asked for opinions on the matter, about PHIL'S skincare routine, and I genuinely don't really understand why you're so mad about it.

edit: and even if we weren't asked about it, if the topic of this discussion had not been turned towards advice about skincare, I want everyone to know my giving advice wasn't in a jugmental way. It's more that Phil is known for his amazing skin and the fact that he has that type of skincare routine was shocking to me. I'm sorry if anyone was offended or felt attacked but it really was not my point last night to be harmful.
:gayaf:
alien
procrastinator

CapriciousCrab wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:53 pm
knq wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 6:32 pm The entire oddessy of Phil's skin care routine, from excitement over him dropping it to the commentary following it is completely foreign to me. I find it curious rather than upsetting, but there are lots of subjects that I'm not comfortable reading about even if the criticism obviously isn't aimed at me, so I understand that reaction too.
I wonder if some of it was an expectation vs reality situation? People expected an expensive, 10-step Korean skin care regimen and instead got a no-fuss wash, moisturize, exfoliate routine using drugstore brands most people can afford. Which I appreciated tbh.

I enjoyed the whole video and especially enjoyed his energy in it. He seemed relaxed and shared a nice variety of questions. I especially loved the cheese prank exchange lol.
the bolded was definitely most of it for me lol. ive seen phil up close in person and was amazed at how nice his skin is even without good lighting and a fancy camera lens. and i know they're loaded plus him appearing to have knowledge about skincare (in a tweet, was it?) i just assumed he'd be pretty good about washing his face nightly. so when i saw what the reality of the situation was i was stunned haha.
i had 15 years of chronic - every single day without relief- cystic acne that was caused by hormonal issues, chronic health issues, bad genes etc. so i have a lot of experience with skin care and it's something i'm interested in so that's where i'm coming from.
and this isn't aimed at anyone specifically but it's good advice to not take things said about a rich, healthy, famous person personally because chances are even if you can relate to one little thing about them it doesn't actually apply to you.
knq
lava lamp

Has anyone found dnp’s haunted murder house? It seems like fatal fires are very rare in London, and deliberate/suspicious fatal fires even more so. I would wonder if Phil embellished that part but it seems pretty integral to the story.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I am the one that asked for opinions from people who know about skincare products, so I'll also apologize to anyone that was upset. I understand the objections some people are having, but I think part of it does come down to a perspective that the products someone buys not being reflective of who they are as a person. My eyes are now opened to how sensitive a topic that can be for some people though, and my intent with the question wasn't to hurt anyone.
Stakhanov wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:33 pm Lol, well not to make an argument out of it but it's rather ironic to see people debate if commenting on a skincare routine can be interpreted as offensive (literally anything can I since offense can be taken for all kinds of reasons) while at the same time saying how they hate men. Maybe not all, but most of them. Saying you hate a whole category of people is an all star in the offense category. Try replacing I hate *men* with another category of your choice.
It was about good skin, you realize, right? The generalization there was that men have good skin without trying as hard. I do feel like you could, as you suggest, replace "men" with any other category and saying they have good skin would be equally unoffensive to most reasonable people.
Grey
lady door

I enjoyed the video a lot. My skin care routine is almost the exact same as phil’s (with different products but similar idea). I have horrible skin though which maybe is due to my skin care routine, lol. I found reading about why it’s bad interesting though because I have no idea what I’m doing, it’s not like I chose this particular skin care routine after deep thought and research. If I had done, then I’d probably feel differently. Just my own personal opinion that nobody asked for. Not anything anyone else shouldn’t feel differently.
I'm having a stress.
gnostic
stress mushroom

I'm glad I haven't read any dumb criticisms on social media about Phil's skin care routine. Not that any critique of a skin care routine is dumb an sich, but I can imagine how a lot of dumb fights about what supposed to be a 'proper' skin care routine. Where do people get the notion that they should prescribe which and if Phil should use products? So many skincare products make completely hyped up claims or ask a good deal of money for something that dermatologists say doesn't make much of a difference. The best way to hydrate your skin is still water, pure and simple. A very cheap product based on oils or alcohol (depending on your skin type) often is just as effective as those marketed ones.
Find some chill m8

"Man i wish i had it as easy as women who can wear dresses. I wanna let my balls flow free" is equally a funny lighthearted generalisation despite seemingly minimising real issues faced by female gender!

I don't really hate Phil or care about his skincare tbh. Shocker I know
Just here for the marketing skills
malday
emo goose

I'm going to regret posting this but Phil obviously didn't share his actual skincare routine, the secret ingredient for his flawless skin would get the video demonitized.
/joke
Stakhanov
haru pillow

It's ok i'm feeling quite chill, I had a very nice evening ;-) All I was pointing out is that anything can be offensive to anyone.
Considering some people found Dan's customer service blog posts to contain homophobic statements and think some words are always Bad TM no matter intent or context, I just found it funny and quite ironic that very generalizing phrases like "I hate all men" were brought up when making commentaries on skin care routine. I was just sharing my surprise about that And yes, I do realize the point was meant as a joke ( though you did question your own sarcasm after typing /s) but that is irrelevant to the irony i perceived.

On a side note i do think it's a gross generalization to imply that men have an easier time with their skin. I know a lot of guys who struggled a lot with their skin problems, to the point the state of their skin diminished their self-confidence.

The amount of interest in Phil's skin and skin care routine just amuses me. Why does this topic live so much? I don't really see what's so interesting in knowing the details of Phil's routine, let alone a whole conversation about products and ideas of what would be a "proper" or "appalling" way to (not) do skin care, but that just reminds me there's different people who like different things answered in a Q&A.
autumnhearth
senpai

I hadn’t seen this discussed anywhere, but the guys were spotted at the cinema yesterday by a fan. I thought they would have gone Thursday night, but apparently those tickets were really hard to get.
Odd that Phil waited a whole day later to mention it. Bryony had a few Instagram stories yesterday getting ready to go out and a brief opinion afterward, plus a photo with three plates of delicious looking green beans. Not at all surprising they went with her, it seems like a long tradition.

She is surely responsible for any Marvel fan fiction read in the Dan and Phil household.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I do find it quite amusing how much some people read into things and out stock into things that don't hold the same meaning now, and/or are 100% jokes, while some things that are halfway to being shoved in our faces is just "reading too much into things" :shrug: To each their own I guess

I also wanted to apologize if my post about skincare made anyone feel bad. I never mean to be insensitive or harmful, and I'll absolutely try harder in the future.

To be a bit more on topic, I was cleaning and found some drawing game drawings I did during Phil's liveshows when he used to do them, and while I'm glad he's not doing stuff like that anymore, given the amount of pop culture stuff alone I do miss liveshows a lot.

And aw! I figured they must have gone with Bryony, and I am glad to see that pretty much confirmed.
malday
emo goose

The topic's moved on but i really came here to say wow! Phil's video gave me flashbacks to all the discussions of renovating and buying a house this forum was buzzing with a couple of years ago. good times!

It really sounds like Phil's style to find a house for cheap, get a sponsor to shoulder the renovating cost, live in it for a few years to save the money they would have spent on rent, and then sell it for profit if they wanted to move to a better house.
Too bad the whole thing fell through but maybe his video will attract the attention of some new sponsor that would pay for their interior design when they move again. If other youtubers can get deals like that so can they!

Like others said, I also think they do smart things with their money (and i'll quote myself from a few years back because i think it's relevant)
malday wrote:Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:25 am About still renting: i think Phil said in one of the gaming videos (don't remember which), "maybe i'll build a house".
I mean, if you're going to invest money in something, why not have it tailored to your needs.
So, i wouldn't be surprised if they put money in something newly built.

As for Phil's story idea, my wish from 2017 to get to see Phil's horror movie and read Dan's bildungsroman still stands.

And i know people are disillusioned with Dan coming back to youtube, i'm not usually optimistic, but i don't think he would be going through such creative torment if he wouldn't at least give it a good old college try.
In hindsight i think his hiatus was a long time coming, i'm remembering one old liveshow where he praised Britney Spears for going on a mental health break that people should aspire to.
But, to me, he seems to be creative-cocooning now and perusing a lot of content (from great essay youtubers to climate change activism) which I hope will help him feel inspired again and maybe post when his not-give-a-damn meter has filled enough.
He has a lot of potential and I think something like smart and subtle humour about serious topics would really suit him.

If all else fails they still need to do that re-union tour Dan's joked about and for that they need to keep the Dan and Phil thing alive somehow even if it means Phil dragging him back into some joint videos.

P.s. Phil needs to do more spons not less! don't you people want him to get filthy rich and buy Youtube? I know i do!

i'm not even joking.
Last edited by malday on Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy
woodland creature

autumnhearth wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:38 am I hadn’t seen this discussed anywhere, but the guys were spotted at the cinema yesterday by a fan. I thought they would have gone Thursday night, but apparently those tickets were really hard to get.
Return of shaved sides?
Stakhanov
haru pillow

malday wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:21 am

And i know people are disillusioned with Dan coming back to youtube, i'm not usually optimistic, but i don't think he would be going through such creative torment if he wouldn't at least give it a good old college try.
In hindsight i think his hiatus was a long time coming, i'm remembering one old liveshow where he praised Britney Spears for going on a mental health break that people should aspire to.
But, to me, he seems to be creative-cocooning now and perusing a lot of content (from great essay youtubers to climate change activism) which I hope will help him feel inspired again and maybe post when his not-give-a-damn meter has filled enough.
He has a lot of potential and I think something like smart and subtle humour about serious topics would really suit him.

i'm not even joking.
Thanks! That made me feel a bit better about Dan's prospects day xxx of the hiatus. He does have great potential, I just hope he isn't turned off from youtube indefinitely.

Endgame seems to be a black hole nobody can escape. The problem is that even if you're not really into the marvel movie franchise itself (imo it's became to bland and the franchise has been ruined much like Star Wars), there's always one friend who really was into the comics and wants to see the movie no matter what :sideeye:

If Phil waited with mentioning it, the most likely reason seems to me that he just couldn't be bothered tweeting about it, or didn't want to (perhaps because he considered it private time).
autumnhearth
senpai

Phantasy- yeah I noticed that, they must have been newly shorn. Anyone recognize Dan’s jumper?

maladay- I love the term creative-cocooning and I agree.

I don’t even know where to start with “the murder house” I’ve tried so many keyword combinations (I don’t recommend searching ‘london house fire murder’ as you will get so many news articles about, mostly the same, horrific events involving children). But we have no idea how long ago the deaths took place in relation to when it was on the market. If he hadn’t cropped and edited the pic you could just use reverse image search, if that even is the actual property he’s showing.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

It's been a year since Dan and Phil did the first show of Interactive Introverts in Brighton! :happytears:

Even more importantly it's also been a year since the phandom had a collective breakdown over 'ty ly bb' :lol:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Stakhanov
haru pillow

I would call it more of a collective delusion. "ty ly bb" is a great example of people trying to create their own myth about Dan and Phil. It almost certainly meant "bye bye" and not "baby", but some people just like the idea better that it was some grand romantic gesture Dan was making to Phil. That just makes me feel uncomfortable, but I suspect many on this forum will just see it as cute and and a fun joke.
liola
rankussy

No, it's just people knowing the common meaning of bb as short for baby, as used everywhere in the online speaking community. The fact that Dan used it to mean bye bye, which is mostly used in the gaming community only and not even that much, created a great confusion. It's just one of the main principles of language and communication, people applying meaning to words based on their own understanding of social interactions in context. Guess social constructs are all delusions, after all.

Can't believe it's already been a year. I would think this would be an occasion for them to say something about it, especially Dan given how proud he was/is of II. It's been a while since his last tweet, come on Dan fill your quota! I'm not even asking for never before seen pics, just a nod to the day will make me happy
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor