Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
jesp
why bother

Moderating

As rizzo said, lets keep any further discussion about the situation with Stakhanov out of this thread. This isn't a normal situation with a clear cut route to follow for us in terms of moderation, but I do want to make it clear that, even though it may not seem like it, we are not ignoring the situation. There are many factors for us to consider, a large number of which are not public, and we - as a team - want to ensure that our response is appropriate.

In the meantime, please understand that we are humans and we're doing the best we can within the constraints of our personal lives. I am sorry that it has taken a little longer than many of you would like.

If anyone has questions or concerns please do send them my way, I'm always happy to listen and I'll do my best to reply.
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:24 am
kavat wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:26 am So to move on, dizzy's post earlier made me realize how fun those fandom moments are when everyone are excited about the same thing and you're just refreshing every social media platform for new updates. The watch parties come to mind, as well as the Boncas. Anyone have any other fave fandom moments like that?
Honestly I'm still dying a little from the boncas. It was just such a phenomenal, sweet time, and that liveshow we got after has my whole heart.

I remember during Australian tatinof when Dan first debuted his black nails and everyone flipped. Being in the timezone I'm in (GMT -8) I remember frantically posting and refreshing my dash pretty late at night when I had to get up early in the morning yelling with everyone else. I look back on that fondly because it was so silly and just...fun to freak out about at the time. And also because of the leaps and strides we've watched Dan go through over the years :')

Waking up to the crafts channel in 2015 was also a very fun time (and of course the expectations for the following years- truly amazing). Going on tumblr and watching all the other people in my timezone wake up and react was so fun, and honestly the crafts channel is still peak content for me. Two dorky guys taking the piss out of youtube and dashing some satan into it? Sign me the eff up.

To go more recently, I actually kind of miss the rize disasters. While the app can continue it's firey, eternal damnation in hell, we got some pretty fucking awesome moments from them, and looking back with hindsight it was nice to have a collective freakout over their poor time management and communication "skills" while also trying to figure out getting it recorded. It made for a very comparatively nice time to yell together.
Oh yeah, the first sighting of the nail polish sure was something. He had them for the meet and greet but they were gone for the show that night, iirc. He sure has come a long way.

I just remembered that creator weekend in Madrid as well, with the glitter makeup and the tipsy roller skating. That was a whole lot of fun!
susan2
rainbow nerd

madzilla84 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 8:57 pm I’m so happy to see the Polaroid posted upthread; I hope more winners share theirs in clearer quality. I’ve only heard of one other person who’s won one so far. that one above may or may not be my lockscreen now.
Re-posting a couple more of the close-ups, cos it's nice to have nice news :sunshine: I wonder who won the painting....and if we'll ever see it?
(and the 10 video shoutouts)

- -

Did anyone else notice the London Marathon page yesterday and wonder - could it be....?
...we'll prob never know :runner: :shrug:
kavat
pastel persona

susan2 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 am
Did anyone else notice the London Marathon page yesterday and wonder - could it be....?
Oh interesting. I saw that Connor Franta did the London marathon so I was low key hoping for them to hang out while he was in town.

But imaging the first dinof video in a year being "I ran a marathon", talk about leaving old branding behind.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Aaah, thanks so much for posting those! They’re all so cute; I’m glad people are getting them who really appreciate them.

I did wonder about that leading up to the marathon, partly because I saw that young minds had a team, but I find it unlikely that even given his newfound social media aversion that Dan wouldn’t have mentioned it; he’d have raised *so* much money through sponsorship. (Unless of course he was just doing it for the personal challenge and not for charity.) But as you say, we’ll probably never know, and it is quite a common name. :shrug:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

- -

I'm making my own headcanon that this is true, that Dan totally ran the marathon.
:gayaf:
Grey
lady door

Reading about people’s favourite moments is making me feel things. <3 :love2:

One of my favourites was pigeon fest actually! Because i had low expectations and thought they probably wouldn’t do anything now that they’re not crafting... I saw phil’s tweet and was genuinely extremely confused until I realized it was April fools day. Then I thought it wouldn’t be a real live stream. BUT IT WAS. I honestly didn’t watch it that much because I had things to do, but the pure ridiculousness of it amused me greatly.
I'm having a stress.
susan2
rainbow nerd

autumnhearth wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:17 am Anyone recognize Dan’s jumper?
Pretty sure it's his McQ Hissing at the Sun sweatshirt - one of my favs - we just don't often get to see the design on the back of it!
Phantasy
woodland creature

Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:04 am
- -

I'm making my own headcanon that this is true, that Dan totally ran the marathon.
Wouldn’t surprise me if he registered, but alas doesn’t look like he (or his name twin) ended up running. The marathon had pretty robust tracking via bib number and that runner had no stats for the day.
liola
rankussy

Catallena wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:47 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:37 pm
liola wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 7:07 pmI love that Phil is engaging with his audience more this year. Dan used to be the one responding to comments on Facebook qnd not Phil, I'm glad he's taking a page out of his book. I'm still mildly surprised by the effort some creators are putting on the platform and I don't think Phil will be one of them but still, I appreciate that he's talking to us in all ways
I definitely think that a lot of youtubers are going pretty far with Facebook right now. I'm still curious about who is being paid direct money from Facebook and who might just be trying to expand enough to dip into some of that ad revenue they're offering now. I did hear a youtuber recently say that what facebook is paying in ads doesn't come close to Youtube yet, but - cross posting at this point (especially if he's posting on fb a day or two later, and letting people watching it on youtube first) can't hurt.
Plus he can charge more for any #spon within a video, as posting it on Facebook will reach an even wider audience.
Yeah, and some brands actually prefer to work on content made for Facebook rather than other platforms, because the demographic information they can gather over there are much more complete than, for example, youtube. An example that comes to mind is that the major content creators in Italy primarily create for Facebook, and that's where all their brand deals and sponsorship happen ( with very very big brands, we're talking multimillion companies) My surprise about it comes more from seeing creators who established themselves on Youtube, Instagram and Twitter primarily, suddenly moving to Facebook. It's clear to me that there's a relationship with the source itself, but it does look like it's working for some people. It all depends on the audience target in the end, but it is indeed interesting to wonder whether Phil might want to explore that or not. I remember his Tinder sponsor included a paid post on instagram as well. I think right now he might be more concerned in rebuilding his interactions with the audience than actually getting that advertisement money (which isn't a lot on youtube and even less on facebook).

Meanwhile, it is even funnier to imagine Dan preparing for a marathon, I have to say that :lol:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I have little to add to the Facebook discussion except it’s interesting to see it happening given some industry people said in 2017 at Summer in the City that Facebook video was about to become a thing. Also at VidCon in February the Instagram people did a very informative talk about how to boost yourself on there, the annoying method of teasing a new video days earlier, putting a tiny clip on your page with a link to the main thing on IGTV, etc.

I was mostly surprised by some kids who were at VidCon, but bizarrely uninterested in being there except for being with a friend (especially having paid for a creator ticket :shrug: ), who said that no one their age was on Twitter, it was all about Instagram, while Facebook was for old people (that bit, I knew). If you want a creator like Phil to see your comment, Facebook seems a good bet since it’s still such a small audience in comparison to elsewhere, but one example they gave was LadBaby who got huge on Facebook since his/their audience is mostly mums.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Moderator Note

The moderator team has extensively discussed the recent activity on the forum. We are aware that the tone of the conversation has been less civil and that some users have become frustrated while others have become discouraged from posting here or even visiting. We are also aware that specific events outside of the forum have spilled over into some members' concerns about behavior on the forum and have contributed to negative feelings between forum members.

While it's human nature to have your interactions with someone colored by things that you read off-forum, we cannot take action against those things. We also have no reasonable expectation of anyone to set aside their ethical or moral values in favor of feeling forced to interact with someone, we just ask that you keep in mind that In Depth Bants, the main thread in particular, is for the discussion of Dan and Phil and related topics.

We have specific requests of forum users going forward.

Stakhanov: Other people are capable of disagreeing without the conversation regularly devolving into frustration against them. The condescending language with which you often respond to users and the repetition of the same opinion several times is antagonizing. At this point, it is borderline trolling and trolling is a punishable offense. Please consider making new points instead of continuously reiterating the same ones to people who have expressed that they are finished having a conversation with you.

You have also demonstrated an inability to discern what is appropriate and inappropriate. This is something you've expressly argued this on this forum and in conversation with moderators in the past. If you are unable to make that call, please understand that we will make it for you. Safety of forum users is not something we are taking lightly. It is not up for debate.

Everyone else: If you find a post inflammatory or a poster frustrating, please consider simply not responding. If you do choose to respond, please be sure to keep your post respectful and on-topic, and in compliance with forum rules. Respectful and topically relevant disagreements are allowed, as always. For the most part, when people on this forum disagree the conversation continues in a passionate but respectful and mature fashion. That's how we'd like it to continue. If you feel like someone is antagonizing you report the post and allow a moderator to deal with it.

We are watching individual members' behavior closely, and we will be issuing warnings for trolling, disrespectful posts, and any other violations of the forum rules.

We do from time to time move topics to side threads (e.g., a discussion centered around another YouTuber), and any member is free to create threads in the various subforums. Disagreements between forum members that become off-topic will be removed from the main thread.

This forum is a labor of love for all of us on the moderator team. Please continue to let us know of any frustrations or concerns, so we can do our best to address them to make this forum a safe and welcoming place for everyone.

Otherwise, we hope this is the end of this particular conversation and the topic can continue to move on with what it was intended to be about: Dan and Phil.

Signed,
Your Moderators
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Phantasy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 pm
- -

Wouldn’t surprise me if he registered, but alas doesn’t look like he (or his name twin) ended up running. The marathon had pretty robust tracking via bib number and that runner had no stats for the day.
This is fascinating. Is this maybe the montage he was mentioning in that insta story about jogging earlier in the year?

I'm literally SO HERE for this video and if he (not his name twin) decided not to run, this could even be a great video in accepting failure or realizing you need more time for something etcetc.

Dan... :please:
autumnhearth
senpai

susan2 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:45 am
autumnhearth wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:17 am Anyone recognize Dan’s jumper?
Pretty sure it's his McQ Hissing at the Sun sweatshirt - one of my favs - we just don't often get to see the design on the back of it!
Ah nice! Thanks :tu:

The most exciting fandom moment for me was probably their first Singapore trip, followed right after by moving. I was pretty new to the forum at the time and it was my first time feeling really emotional over Instagram photos and then major news.
No promo.

I also just want to say that the foe button is a wonderful option, I really don’t feel like I’m missing anything.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This doesn't have to anything to do with Dan racing, but I just noticed that Phil liked this tweet:
And he also liked a facebook response thanking him for mentioning social anxiety. I just went to rewatch his video and love even more what he said:
"I actually struggled - and still do, to an extent - with social anxiety. Especially in my like, fourteens and fifteens, to the point where I wouldn't even make a phone call to the hairdresser. I had to get my mum to do it because I was too socially nervous to even speak on the phone."
I know he's saying mid teens there, but it just makes me think of things like him making Dan call the pizza place when their pizza burnt him, and him saying that into his twenties he had his mum make appointments for him. If I had more time I'd dig into those clips but maybe someone else remembers the specific videos/timestamps for them?
"And I think the thing is, I realize that everyone is in their own brain bubbles with their own thoughts and feelings and they probably don't care that much about me. So you just need to think to yourself, what is the worst that could happen? Like, say it out loud. Someone might think I'm slightly weird and forget it in five seconds. And when you realize that doesn't matter and nothing matters then you will deal with situations a lot better."
He said this a lot on tour and I genuinely believe that it's not his party line, it's actually advice he gives because it's the thing that made something click into place for him and be easier to handle. I do wonder if he got that advice from a therapist, which always leads me to thinking anyone with a job like that (or tbh anyone in general) probably benefits from therapy and hoping that he does see someone.
"It's not as big a deal as your brain is making it. I hope that helped."
I really appreciate his wording here. He's not belittling anxiety (his own, or anyone else's) he's just acknowledging the source of it. It's a really good way of validating the feeling while not exaggerating the reality.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

autumnhearth wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:37 pm
The most exciting fandom moment for me was probably their first Singapore trip, followed right after by moving. I was pretty new to the forum at the time and it was my first time feeling really emotional over Instagram photos and then major news.
April and May 2017 with the Singapore trip and the events that followed - dnp in Miami with Martyn and Cornelia and then Dan staying with the Lesters in Florida were the best months to be in the phandom, imo. I still remember when everyone was discussing whether Dan was gonna join Phil for his family vacation or not and then the joy we all felt when he posted that pic of the "Eurovision Party" feat. Phil's arm, basically confirming the speculations. And then we got all those pics of them going places, visiting NASA, Dan not opening the door after Phil went out to carry the groceries inside and livetweeting the whole thing, etc. Ugh, such a blessed time.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
fancybum
senpai

glitterintheair wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:17 pm April and May 2017 with the Singapore trip and the events that followed - dnp in Miami with Martyn and Cornelia and then Dan staying with the Lesters in Florida were the best months to be in the phandom, imo. I still remember when everyone was discussing whether Dan was gonna join Phil for his family vacation or not and then the joy we all felt when he posted that pic of the "Eurovision Party" feat. Phil's arm, basically confirming the speculations. And then we got all those pics of them going places, visiting NASA, Dan not opening the door after Phil went out to carry the groceries inside and livetweeting the whole thing, etc. Ugh, such a blessed time.

Listen, somebody out there must have a time machine (Elon Musk? pls?) and I think it's time we finally harness the phandom's True Powers to make it ours.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:56 pm I know he's saying mid teens there, but it just makes me think of things like him making Dan call the pizza place when their pizza burnt him, and him saying that into his twenties he had his mum make appointments for him. If I had more time I'd dig into those clips but maybe someone else remembers the specific videos/timestamps for them?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abQT__VBDRg 4:45 is the hairdresser one with Jimmy, but I don't think he says how old he was?

I think this compilation is relevant (and has the pizza part, which seems to originate in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftyw5uGK9sE): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XsI-d_yrPM
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Oh yes, I meant to comment on that and forgot. I found Phil talking about social anxiety very relatable as well and it was kinda "nice" (like, not nice but you know how I mean it, I think) to hear someone I admire talk about this and to realise that all kinds of people deal with anxiety and it's not just me.

I don't know where it's from but there was this one video where Phil talks about how he imagines stuff like houses falling down and what he would do in that case and Dan doesn't really get it but I found this part super relatable as well because I do that too and it's definitely my anxiety at work. (Maybe that's in the compilation video? I wish I could watch it right now but I'm not home yet.)
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

autumnhearth wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:37 pm I also just want to say that the foe button is a wonderful option, I really don’t feel like I’m missing anything.
+1 to that.

I miss the excitement of their posts and updating social media to see everyone freaking out about things but also my house is super clean since they have slowed down on their social media and my phone battery lasts a lot longer lol Still miss them and want them back.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Katka wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:42 pm I don't know where it's from but there was this one video where Phil talks about how he imagines stuff like houses falling down and what he would do in that case and Dan doesn't really get it but I found this part super relatable as well because I do that too and it's definitely my anxiety at work. (Maybe that's in the compilation video? I wish I could watch it right now but I'm not home yet.)
I think he talks about that in Would Phil Hate Dan To Save The World (at around 5:45). He talks about how he randomly thinks about the worse case scenarios and what he would do if they happened.

(btw if anyone needs a dnp pick-me-up, I highly recommend watching that one & The Final Google Feud back-to-back. I watched them last night & they totally elevated my mood.)
Grey
lady door

Phil’s gym story where he didn’t tell the gym instructor that he felt like he was going to be sick strikes me as another social anxiety situation perhaps. I also remember dan being really fired up about it in a liveshow afterwards.
I'm having a stress.
phloridas
phillion/danosaur <//3

Florida 2017 is always going to have such a special place in my heart! Not just because it's the origin of my username (lol), but I just adore any time we get to see Dan with the Lesters. Plus, I think this holiday felt even more exciting because it was predated by the Bahamas drama. I still have fond memories of nearly skipping dinner because I was so glued to my computer screen that evening.

I also really loved the Star Wars premiere later that year. It was so fun to see them get all dressed up and watch the Instagram posts pour in--and then we still got a gamingmas video a few hours later! 2017 in general was just a wonderful time to be in the phandom. Everything felt so exciting and we actually got liveshows then! I wish I hadn't taken all that for granted but hopefully we'll have some more moments like this soon.

Seeing the positive feedback on Phil's social anxiety advice makes me :happytears: . I definitely relate and while things have gotten better for me recently, it's still so nice to see how Phil's learned to deal with it and that he's proud of helping others. It's nice to hear him be so honest about how he still struggles now since yeah, it is a constant thing. (Of course I wish he didn't have to deal with that but I appreciate his honesty anyway.) I'm glad he's got Dan to talk to, at least (and hopefully a therapist too! Regardless of whether he feels like he needs one, it does help to have that professional opinion).
- -

Aw, that's too bad. I'd totally be interested in seeing Dan's thoughts on running now since he seems to enjoy, or at least tolerate it, more than he used to. It doesn't even need to be a video, I'd be fine with just an Instagram post or a tweet or something! Tbh, it would make a perfect liveshow segment but, well...guess we'll have to wait and see about that, lol
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

I remember finding IDB during the Bahamas drama, so that was an extra special day for me, but April and May 2017 were also just generally excellent and pure gold. :happytears:
citizen_erased
truth bomb

rizzo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:35 pm
- -

This is fascinating. Is this maybe the montage he was mentioning in that insta story about jogging earlier in the year?

I'm literally SO HERE for this video and if he (not his name twin) decided not to run, this could even be a great video in accepting failure or realizing you need more time for something etcetc.

Dan... :please:
As much as I do not want Dan to get inspiration from Adrian (one of them is enough, thank you, I don't need two Howell siblings telling me I just need to eat a ton of sweet potatoes and run a lot), I would actually 100% be here for a video about training for a marathon or just generally about being more active/doing sports/etc. I'd love to see his perspective on it, and how he feels about being more active after years and years of apparently hating any kind of exercise.

Please, Dan :please: