Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
noodlebum
flower crown

madzilla84 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:38 am Sure, it might not be to everyone’s taste, but as someone fairly close to Phil’s age I love the little lighthearted doses of fun and humour he brings. My favourite youtubers actually tend to be those who are a little bit older and not afraid to have a laugh and be silly, because there’s so much pressure to Be A Sensible Adult once you hit some arbitrary age (25, 30, whatever) as it is.
I agree, it's nice to have a bit of light-hearted casual content in a world of 'serious business' posey content. Not all of Phil's videos are to my taste, partly at the moment due to the tiny filming area and manic voice. But people like him, or Jenna just having silly harmless fun too, or like the gaming channel was.

But then people watch youtube for many different reasons - I personally like a laid-back, laughter-filled chill time :sunshine:

I never went to II so can't comment on them seeming sad/depressed/dead-behind-the-eyes during the tour, but it wouldn't surprise me tbh. They've definitely decided to turn a page on a certain era of their lives with that, for whatever reasons.
jestbee
crusty sponge
Pronouns: She/her

Fwiw I went to 4 ii shows and they didn't appear sad or frustrated at any of them, even up close from the front row!

But I can't speak for the other shows.

I can refer to the number of times they expressed how fun it was, and how much they enjoyed this tour, and touring in general.

I do think they've moved on to the next chapter of their lives, but I think they enjoyed the last one just fine.
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

I agree, I think they really did enjoy the tour. Was the show used as a platform to communicate some serious messages in a fun way? Yep. Was it the end of an era? Absolutely. But I do hope they had the time of their life (as Dan’s ty ly bb story expressed looking forward to).

I’m tempted to link Phil to some Thor/Captain America mpreg fanfic, but I have no idea what’s good. Anyone?

I will take that Netflix rec, thank you very much Bryony!
malday
emo goose

It's so like reddit to project their own age-related insecurities about consuming a type of content, without even being aware that is what they're doing.

Phil has always been criticised for having childish content but i lol'd at one of the comments bringing up Shane and Jenna as if that's highbrow mature content, if anything it's really shitposting, that's why it's fun to watch, but with self awareness of their own age. I have my own issues with Phil's content, more to do with his delivery, and i always wished for him to get crazier in videos but if he wants to play it safe so be it. He seems to not give a damn about what other people think, and i appreciate that, and I'll still casually watch him out of nostalgia.

But I think Dan might have shared some of that mentality years ago, if I remember correctly he was mocking 35 year old dudes waiting in line for star wars tickets in an old liveshow. He's probably changed his thinking since he's pushing 30 and his s.o. and friends (like Bryony) are 30+ and still into geek culture. But i see him as more likely to have a bad life crisis in his late twenties than Phil did. Whatever "snobbish"(for lack of better word) attitudes he's been exposed to in his life, and maybe internalised, will only make his own insecurities worse as he gets older.
I must admit, thought, after him talking about hiring Tomska's editor and now seeing he's a fan of content like ContraPoints, it kind of made me have some expectations and actually look forward to his comeback, although his solo content was never my favourite. I wish i could shake him and tell him he could absolutely find a balance and do things like slay as a model wearing boots with flowers in their heels or do an absolutely mindless fucking candle haul AND still talk about serious subjects and be taking seriously. And imagine all the merch he (and Phil *cough*) could sell if he went that way!

Having said that, after taking a break from engaging with anything dnp-related because of real-life issues i discovered i prefer keeping up with them casually. As it was, I only became more invested due to curiosity and because this place was witty, funny and more ~"mature"~ and i really needed a distraction from the bad things in my life. But even here couldn't escape becoming aware of all the attention seeking, drama and shitty behaviour in the phandom and it became more exhausting than fun. (But Phil had to dangle their failed house renovation show pitch in a video!)

I'll still quietly cheer them on to build whatever merch/horror movie/fashion/dog-breeding empire they want to build and for Phil to become a billionaire and buy youtube.
autumnhearth
senpai

Ooo holiday! Fun times. Though I wonder how that’s going to work with his video. The temperature matches Orlando pretty well even if I’m only seeing one day of thunderstorms, rain and some partial sun.
fancybum
senpai

So does that mean he’s (they’re) already on holiday lol..? I really appreciate him going on a trip just so he can (hopefully) switch up his boring background, that’s really going above and beyond (and I wonder if he can write anything off that way).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It will be interesting to see if Dan goes because this year they don’t have a tour or playlist or anything else that could be used as a reason for him to tag along. I’m almost thinking Phil is going alone but he’s being vague so I could be wrong.

I also wonder if he’s going to film his video in their vacation home and if so that would make it weeks since we’ve seen the living flat.....
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

autumnhearth wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:13 pm Ooo holiday! Fun times. Though I wonder how that’s going to work with his video. The temperature matches Orlando pretty well even if I’m only seeing one day of thunderstorms, rain and some partial sun.
It may be a dum question but, do you think the degrees are in Celsius? Because in my head I immediately thought of Celsius degrees (both because I use celsius and UK too) but maybe not?

And because I have NO IDEA of what the weather is like in other parts of the world : is there a place right now where there a lots of thunderstorms and it's 30° celsius ? :sunshine:
:gayaf:
liola
rankussy

Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:50 pm
autumnhearth wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:13 pm Ooo holiday! Fun times. Though I wonder how that’s going to work with his video. The temperature matches Orlando pretty well even if I’m only seeing one day of thunderstorms, rain and some partial sun.
It may be a dum question but, do you think the degrees are in Celsius? Because in my head I immediately thought of Celsius degrees (both because I use celsius and UK too) but maybe not?

And because I have NO IDEA of what the weather is like in other parts of the world : is there a place right now where there a lots of thunderstorms and it's 30° celsius ? :sunshine:
I'm pretty sure the degrees are in Celsius because Phil's phone will be set in celsius. And that pretty much perfectly matches weather for Florida, and he did say he's going to USA.. so everything points to the annual Lester Family Florida Fun
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

liola wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:52 pm
Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:50 pm

I'm pretty sure the degrees are in Celsius because Phil's phone will be set in celsius. And that pretty much perfectly matches weather for Florida, and he did say he's going to USA.. so everything points to the annual Lester Family Florida Fun
I hadn't checked his replies but yes he did say USA so I have my answer haha! Thank you :)
:gayaf:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I wonder if Martyn and Cornelia are going too or if maybe they'll join later because Cornelia has a gig in London on the 9th (I think). Very curious.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
jestbee
crusty sponge
Pronouns: She/her

Since Martyn and Cornelia just went on holiday, I'd be interested to see if they go as well. With that, and her gig, I wonder whether they will.

Mostly I hope Cornelia goes because she can always be counted on for the good ig story content when they're away haha
autumnhearth
senpai

Amiaw wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm It will be interesting to see if Dan goes because this year they don’t have a tour or playlist or anything else that could be used as a reason for him to tag along. I’m almost thinking Phil is going alone but he’s being vague so I could be wrong.

I also wonder if he’s going to film his video in their vacation home and if so that would make it weeks since we’ve seen the living flat.....
I’m not calling you out for this, I’m just using this train of thought, that I admit I’ve had, and have seen expressed elsewhere. The idea that Dan needs an excuse to go to Florida with the Lesters is getting old, even if they are the ones that started playing it off as a logistical thing. Phil used to take a along a friend to Florida before Dan. And the idea that best friends who enjoy spending most of their time together need to be worried about what it looks like is just silly. I mean, it is what is, and I guess we just bring it up to prepare ourselves, but it would be nice if we all moved past it (Dan and Phil included). Their holidays used to be something I really looked forward to in the phandom, but I can understand if they are more private about it this year. I’m expecting very little from Phil and basically nothing from Dan. Feel free to suprise me boys, but most of all I hope they have a lovely time, it’s been awhile since Phil went to Florida with his family.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This is from over twelve hours ago. No idea where this person is flying, since they didn't volunteer that in the tweet, but what a coincidence if it wasn't Dan!
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:54 pm This is from over twelve hours ago. No idea where this person is flying, since they didn't volunteer that in the tweet, but what a coincidence if it wasn't Dan!
Well that sure would be a coincidence! I think it's likely that Dan might have gone with Phil but I wouldn't see anything weird if he didn't and I'm not really expecting them to volunteer that information (though I would LOVE if they did!). After all we wouldn't know Dan went to IoM for Phil's birthday if they hadn't been spotted by a fan, so I don't think this might be any different.

How long do Lester family vacations last? Like 2-ish weeks, right?

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I gotta say, I really appreciate Dan and Phil just doing things like this together without excuses. Dan's just joining Phil's family trip to FL and that's the way it is. That's their life.

Gives me emotions.

:happytears:
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:54 pm This is from over twelve hours ago. No idea where this person is flying, since they didn't volunteer that in the tweet, but what a coincidence if it wasn't Dan!
Huh, so either it was Dan travelling without Phil, or not-Dan travelling? I guess it just makes me curious if he had some Thing that meant he'd meet them in Florida instead of going with Phil to begin with (especially for a trans-Atlantic flight, going together just seems preferable all around?)
Last edited by Templeofshame on Thu May 02, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Templeofshame wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:36 pm
Huh, so either it was Dan travelling without Phil, or not-Dan travelling?
If it was Dan then I think it's also possible that the person just didn't see Phil. Or, if they're not a current user, didn't recognize Phil. (Was the power of the fringe that strong?)

Orrrrr maybe there's a Howell family trip happening to.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:37 pm
If it was Dan then I think it's also possible that the person just didn't see Phil. Or, if they're not a current user, didn't recognize Phil. (Was the power of the fringe that strong?)

They follow both Dan and Phil on Twitter so I'm sorta figuring they'd recognize Phil, but who knows.
liola
rankussy

alittledizzy wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:37 pm

Well now my mind went to a Howell family trip with Phil tagging along and I don't know how I can handle that idea

drago
tol bean

I think the only person who looks exactly like Dan is his brother. So maybe it was the other Howell.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Adrian is going on a trip soon so maybe? But maybe it was just dan’s doppelgänger?
cocolero
squish

Depending on the aircraft's set up, and especially in Business or First, it's entirely possible they couldn't see Phil in the adjoining pod.

Just remember, don't be creeps and try to take a picture.

Especially if he's looking cute.

Doubly so if he has the legs out for the lads.

Triply if he's in skinnys.

Apropos of nothing, the full editor has ways to include links to everything on the top right.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I’m not saying my girlfriend went on holiday to Florida yesterday, we did not spend time on the phone today talking about her finding Phil and bringing him back to the UK with her, glasses and all 😂 (I joke obviously!)
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
cocolero
squish

missemma wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:16 pm I’m not saying my girlfriend went on holiday to Florida yesterday, we did not spend time on the phone today talking about her finding Phil and bringing him back to the UK with her, glasses and all 😂 (I joke obviously!)
Of course such a thing most assuredly did not happen! Perish the thought.
Good idea any chance you could shove Dan on a flight to Texas while we're at it?