Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Honestly I loved it, I laughed SO MUCH.

Why people sent him that would get him demonetised is a mystery but... :shrug:
:gayaf:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

A cute video! Definitely shorter than I expected, but it was fun to watch. I am annoyed that the milk fic of all things made it into the final cut, but grateful that there was no stolen art this time, and that it really, really didn't feel like the tumblr tag videos.

Bets on Phil getting that x-rated sims dlc?
noodlebum
flower crown

Those baby owls will haunt my dreams forever :o

Could have easily been longer, I was enjoying it!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola
rankussy

I was kinda bummed it was so short, he is so fucking cute I just wanted to look at him a bit more. Interesting that he went to wattpad, had a mild moment of fear but I'm glad it was nothing about him and Dan (at least what he showed). I bet my life he showed that cat shrek video to Dan right after, if not during the middle of filming.

Not a stellar video by any means but I always enjoy looking at his face and I wasn't expecting it tonight, so I won't complain!
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

His reaction to the dress killed me. He looked so genuinely horrified by it :lol: And he was awfully interested in the adult sims content, don't you think? lmao

Overall a good video- it made me laugh and he was cute so I'm happy.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I really enjoyed that! Though like others I wish it had been longer, though I can understand he’d probably had Enough :lol: I think my fave moment was the wikiHow, his expression was just perfect. :rofl: And I had to cackle at someone getting revenge on him for April fools!

And aww, I so hope Phil gets his corgi(s) soon. :springdog: :love2:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

A nice kinda low effort snack for a video, nothing particularly memorable but still entertaining. But ngl, this is the first Phil video this year where I thought that this video could've been stronger as a collab with Dan. Like we all know why it's isn't and even if it was an option it might have been too similar to the Tumblr Tag videos... but this is the kind of material where D&P's chemistry and them reacting to each other's reactions really elevates the video.

Anyway, I enjoyed him throwing in a merch #spon after the dress part (btw sweetie boobs are generally not where the eyes are on that dress), his reaction to the wikiHow, and his comment about Wattpad made me laugh too. Even if that link hadn't led to the milk fic, it still probably would've held some truth. Also him being soft over dogs is always nice.

I wouldn't have minded if he dragged it out another minute or so.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Phantasy
woodland creature

C’mon Dan... we know you’re live streaming the Met Gala pink carpet and we know you have OPINIONS!!
Philena
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 8:31 pm Well I've had my fill of shock-scare Sonic memes for like, life.

But Phil is cute and that video was cute. I wish it had been longer!
Yes to both points! I bet he's planning a pt 2..
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Once again, Phil has come through with a fun, cute video that I liked. :) Here are my highlights:
  • [1:57] Phil reacts with horror when he sees that you can buy a dress with a blown-up picture of his face on it. The best part of his reaction is his huge gasp at [2:03].
  • [4:44] Phil receives a link to a wikiHow article about how to delete your YouTube channel. He is not amused. :lol:
  • [5:45] Phil is intrigued by the existence of “a very adult addon for The Sims.”
    P: Oh, my god! I didn’t know this existed! Jeez! Do the sims know about this?
  • [6:23] After reading the name “Alexandra,” Phil sings part of a line from “Alejandro” by Lady Gaga. Phil put a question mark on the screen, but I thought it was perfect.
  • [6:41] Phil announces that he is a fan of the YouTube channel Rapid Liquid.
  • [6:49] Phil is sent to a website that loads a picture of someone pointing to your cursor wherever you put it on the screen. This is only a highlight because this website is so amazing.
  • [7:14] Phil reacts in horror and disbelief to a video of some baby owls. To be fair, it was rather distressing.
  • Red alert! Phil has changed up the way he lists his merch links! ...okay, only slightly. He has listed only the global version of the AmazingPhil Shop at the beginning of the video description, and he has listed the Dan and Phil Shop with his individual merch links.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Dan just liked a few things on Instagram so either he’s up incredibly early in Florida or he stayed home and has just been quiet
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Amiaw wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:56 am Dan just liked a few things on Instagram so either he’s up incredibly early in Florida or he stayed home and has just been quiet
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Phil changed the name of the video to 'Clicking on RISKY links people send me' but tbh idk whether that's a much better title that will attract more views?
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
liola
rankussy

Amiaw wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 9:56 am Dan just liked a few things on Instagram so either he’s up incredibly early in Florida or he stayed home and has just been quiet
I wouldn't find either option weird honestly, I'm more inclined to believe he's in Florida as well because Martyn and Cornelia aren't and for some reason I can't imagine Phil going on his own with just his parents? But who knows. Instagram's feed is also quite unreliable most of the times when it comes to times

Phil also liked something apparently at 8am in Florida time which is still quite early, so my point still stands but I wouldn't mind getting some pic boys..a voice on a black screen.. please..

Phantasy
woodland creature

Ugh... so many unknowns! They’re usually offline Sunday going into Monday to avoid GoT spoilers... if yesterday was a travel day maybe they had to prolong their self-imposed internet ban and they’re only just now getting into Florida... that might explain why Dan is just now coming online and liking Met Gala posts... otherwise regardless of time zone I don’t buy for a second he just went to bed early or missed it live without a damn good reason.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Or he/they may not have left yet; we didn’t know the start date after all. But I was thinking the same thing about Dan being more likely to go if it’s just Phil and his parents otherwise. But I guess we’ll have to wait and see! Fingers crossed for improved weather for them...

I saw that Phil posted a YouTube story (saying the new vid was up)? I didn’t even know that was a thing! Another platform to keep an eye on, yay. :lol:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

madzilla84 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pmI saw that Phil posted a YouTube story (saying the new vid was up)? I didn’t even know that was a thing! Another platform to keep an eye on, yay. :lol:
He has used it once before on DAPG to try it out (link), but I really don't get why he decided to go back to it now when he he has been ignoring Instagram for over 2 weeks. This is the second video in a row he hasn't been sponning on Stories as well and this video is honestly not performing very well in terms of views. :|

Considering the Facebook uploads he might be experimenting with social media engagement or something, but idk if I were the sole thing currently keeping the brand I've worked on for so many years alive and kicking I'd be a bit smarter about it and put some more effort into the popular known methods of audience engagement. People don't check for YouTube Stories.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Catallena wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:09 pm
madzilla84 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:59 pmI saw that Phil posted a YouTube story (saying the new vid was up)? I didn’t even know that was a thing! Another platform to keep an eye on, yay. :lol:
He has used it once before on DAPG to try it out (link), but I really don't get why he decided to go back to it now when he he has been ignoring Instagram for over 2 weeks. This is the second video in a row he hasn't been sponning on Stories as well and this video is honestly not performing very well in terms of views. :|

Considering the Facebook uploads he might be experimenting with social media engagement or something, but idk if I were the sole thing currently keeping the brand I've worked on for so many years alive and kicking I'd be a bit smarter about it and put some more effort into the popular known methods of audience engagement. People don't check for YouTube Stories.
I'm just expanding something I already said on twitter, but to me it just looks like trying to take advantage of new options. I have the same opinion about it as I do facebook; I'm glad he's trying new things, because refusing to adapt to new technology and platforms is a death knell for youtubers of his generation. They probably won't all work, and I'm not upset about that, and I'm glad what he's trying out with it are very low-appeal things (like the video he did on facebook, and just using youtube stories to spon his video).

I also do think that if I weren't in phandom and seeing phandom activity I'd find it very useful. I have notifications turned on for Phil but I haven't gotten an email notif for his past three videos. I only know when he's posted when someone tells me or I see it on twitter. I subscribe to hundreds of channels, I don't watch but maybe half of the videos in my sub feed, and sometimes things get buried fast. But if I check the app and someone I know I like has posted a story that says they have a few video, I'd be informed. Maybe not a lot of people check youtube stories (I skim it too see who has posted them and watch a few but not many) but for something that took no time to put together I can't see how it hurts.

I do wish we'd get some vacation stories on instagram too, though. That'd be really nice. Come on, Phil. Promote that new video while showing us something scenic and Floridian.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:53 pm I do wish we'd get some vacation stories on instagram too, though. That'd be really nice. Come on, Phil. Promote that new video while showing us something scenic and Floridian.
I really want a follow up to that video he did a few years back where he tried pop tarts for the first time. Only this time, he needs to try the best pop tart flavor, s'mores. (I will fight people on this; s'mores pop tarts are heavenly!)
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:53 pm
Catallena wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:09 pm

I'm just expanding something I already said on twitter, but to me it just looks like trying to take advantage of new options. I have the same opinion about it as I do facebook; I'm glad he's trying new things, because refusing to adapt to new technology and platforms is a death knell for youtubers of his generation. They probably won't all work, and I'm not upset about that, and I'm glad what he's trying out with it are very low-appeal things (like the video he did on facebook, and just using youtube stories to spon his video).

I also do think that if I weren't in phandom and seeing phandom activity I'd find it very useful. I have notifications turned on for Phil but I haven't gotten an email notif for his past three videos. I only know when he's posted when someone tells me or I see it on twitter. I subscribe to hundreds of channels, I don't watch but maybe half of the videos in my sub feed, and sometimes things get buried fast. But if I check the app and someone I know I like has posted a story that says they have a few video, I'd be informed. Maybe not a lot of people check youtube stories (I skim it too see who has posted them and watch a few but not many) but for something that took no time to put together I can't see how it hurts.

I do wish we'd get some vacation stories on instagram too, though. That'd be really nice. Come on, Phil. Promote that new video while showing us something scenic and Floridian.
Oh I don't mind that he trying those new things like YouTube stories tho, that's obviously fine. But in order for him to 'try' them he needs to actually actively use it for a while and he's already not doing a good job of that with his established platforms. His social media usage is so inconsistent it drives me mad (Dan's is too but he's on hiatus so blah we'll cut him some slack this time). He's suddenly not posting any Instagram stories, was never very active on Instagram in general, his use of Twitter has been declining, he has half abandoned Tumblr (which was once Deppy's second home platform considering how active the phandom there was/is), and imo he's not even doing well utilizing those channel memberships.

It almost feels as if he's out of touch with what being a social media personality entails in 2019. These days being everywhere is pretty much mandatory. That doesn't mean he needs to make a Tiktok or post multiple times a day everywhere, but he needs to better on the platforms his audience is already on. And especially now, when he's the only one keeping the audience D&P vaguely engaged, he should want to be smarter about the way he uses social media or his numbers will only drop more. Deppy have been comfortable for way too long because the phandom always came through in the end, but that era might be over. It's time to put in a little more effort if he still wants this to be his career.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
liola
rankussy

My only issue with Phil using the youtube stories feature, and I use issue very lightly because it's not like he's doing anything BAD, is that it doesn't make sense for the way he does things. One random story to try and promote a video is not going to make people check out the feature more, which means it won't help people find the video in general. It might help the random person scrolling through the app and paying attention to the stories, but in general it doesn't and it's deemed more annoying than anything else. If he wanted to use it to show up on the recommended section of other people, then he 100% chose the wrong video as well lol

And it just means fuck to people using youtube on dekstop.

Phil has more or less always posted his videos on facebook and twitter and tumblr, so him posting there wouldn't be weird. I don't . know, it's nothing horrible, but it's not helpful at all in my opinion, and if anything it could be detrimental, because some people will just see it as desperate. In the end, it's true that he can't win no matter what he does, but I sure would love to sit down with him and just understand why he's trying new (wrong) things rather than focusing on strenghtening what he already has. I realize it's probably intentional - I just don't know if it's good with the goal he has in mind.

knq
lava lamp

Social media platforms are obnoxiously inconsistent. As someone who still prefers their PC to their phone, apps with features that aren't available through the regular website interface drive me mad.

My phone says Phil liked a Tyler Oakley Instagram post and my PC says Instagram doesn't have a like feature. :roll:

How funny would it have been for Dan and Phil to randomly get name dropped in Family Guy? I feel cheated.

Phil abandoning Instagram is just part of the Final YouNow Prophecy Dan gave, of course:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K36go9V ... .be&t=2791
Phil visiting Florida is actually them moving to different countries, they won't be doing a mukbang or anymore baking, Dan's not uploading anymore (I mean...) and Phil is indeed abandoning Instagram. :sherlock:
fancybum
senpai

I don’t know what country you’re in or if I’m reading that post correctly, but general FYI anyway: Instagram is using Canada as a guinea pig right now and not letting us see how many likes other people’s posts get. (I can still see the “so-and-so liked this” thing, but all actual numbers are gone).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
dancy
procrastinator

Catallena wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:59 pm Oh I don't mind that he trying those new things like YouTube stories tho, that's obviously fine. But in order for him to 'try' them he needs to actually actively use it for a while and he's already not doing a good job of that with his established platforms. His social media usage is so inconsistent it drives me mad (Dan's is too but he's on hiatus so blah we'll cut him some slack this time). He's suddenly not posting any Instagram stories, was never very active on Instagram in general, his use of Twitter has been declining, he has half abandoned Tumblr (which was once Deppy's second home platform considering how active the phandom there was/is), and imo he's not even doing well utilizing those channel memberships.

It almost feels as if he's out of touch with what being a social media personality entails in 2019. These days being everywhere is pretty much mandatory. That doesn't mean he needs to make a Tiktok or post multiple times a day everywhere, but he needs to better on the platforms his audience is already on. And especially now, when he's the only one keeping the audience D&P vaguely engaged, he should want to be smarter about the way he uses social media or his numbers will only drop more. Deppy have been comfortable for way too long because the phandom always came through in the end, but that era might be over. It's time to put in a little more effort if he still wants this to be his career.
Yes, I think their social media game has been pretty weak lately (well, Dan's has been for a while now of course and we couldn't even get any Met Gala opinions from him today) and there's something telling me the holiday in Florida won't give us that much content either but I really hope I'm wrong :sideeye:

Unrelated to the current discussion but I noticed Dan's birthday is a little over a month from now and there's not really been any promotion for the fundraiser yet. Is that going to happen soon?