Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
greenergrass
stress mushroom

knq wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:19 pm

ETA: I've forgotten who it was that has knowledge in interpreting companies' financial statements here, but I'm curious if IRL's last financial account means anything to someone who can interpret that kind of stuff! To me it looked like they were making and spending about the same as the previous year but had substantially less money which I was confused by.
If you can provide the reports I might be able to help. (I know they're available somewhere online but I'm on mobile at work)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose
Pronouns: she/her

Ahem, I would like to interrupt this fascinating discussion with a (related!) #SPON :babuse:

For all your IRL Digital info needs, check out the new FAQ page for the company here!

Links to the shops they manage, their social media, and companies house documents are there for whenever you need them!

*coughs* Please check it out, but back on topic, in a related note, @whatdoiknow, their financial and company documents can be found here.
autumnhearth
senpai

knq wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:19 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 2:16 pm Dan started following an American photographer named Ryan McGinley on instagram and now I've spent twenty minutes looking through his photography online. Thanks for expanding my worldview, Dan!
I clicked on his instagram, saw the naked man sleeping beside his dog, and went 'yep, that's an instant Dan follow for you.'
Did you keep looking though? Amazing queer representation, poc, bodies of all shapes and sizes and some of Dan’s favorite artists: FKA Twigs and Harry Styles (I have no real interest in him but the photos were gorgeous) plus some designer connections that mean nothing to me, but probably do to Dan. Personally I love the nudes in fall foliage, the pride pics and queer couples kissing.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

You're the best moody!

I took a very quick look at the statements (trying to sneakily look while at work lol), but I only see a balance sheet and not an income statement. Am I just missing something? With a balance sheet it's hard to really say how they did for the year, since the balance sheet is just one snapshot in time whereas the income statement reflects what happened throughout the year. From my five seconds of quick looking lol what I noticed was mainly different was the cash in hand amount. But like, that could mean a lot of things. Did they sell less merch? Did they spend a lot in investments? Did they pay out a lot of dividends or something?

I can try to get a better look when I get home, but maybe someone who has time now to actually view the full reports might have somr more insight
knq
lava lamp

Thank for taking a sneaky look @whatdoiknow! afaik the balance sheet is the only public financial statement. I'm curious what it can tell us as I'm not at all familiar with that sort of thing--maybe not much? 2017 looks similar to 2018 except for the cash in hand and in the bank dropping. I wonder if that could be cash spent on a different business ventures where Dan and Phil are also the directors like the II tour?
greenergrass
stress mushroom

knq wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:22 pm Thank for taking a sneaky look @whatdoiknow! afaik the balance sheet is the only public financial statement. I'm curious what it can tell us as I'm not at all familiar with that sort of thing--maybe not much? 2017 looks similar to 2018 except for the cash in hand and in the bank dropping. I wonder if that could be cash spent on a different business ventures where Dan and Phil are also the directors like the II tour?
Np. Yeah exaclty the change in cash could means lots of things. I think they have a separate touring company right? Irl is just merch related business right? (I need to check out Moody's fact page lol). But yeah, the income statement would give us way more insight into how the business actually did last year. Too bad that apparently isn't released
susan2
rainbow nerd

susan2 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:56 am
knq wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:50 am On a related note... you think Phil remembers his channel membership offers members store discounts every month (or so) and a Q&A type video using member questions every few months? The video in particular I’m wondering if he intends on fulfilling as he doesn’t seem super interested in answering questions this year, especially as so many of those questions involve Dan.
I think Phil's already fulfilled the "Q&A style" video in "My Google Search History 2!" - where he used the dates that that were submitted by members.

So not questions exactly, but using content from subscribers/members nonetheless.
...I take that back then! - seems like Phil is doing an actual Q&A.
(I wonder if it'll always be Q&A's for that part of the membership commitment, or if he'll alternate between various ways of using subscribers content?). Anyone got any burning questions? ;)
ETA:
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I hope he chooses actually interesting questions that he can elaborate on and not just "unicorns or dragons?" or TV show or food related ones.
But I don't think that's gonna happen.
Ablissa
pastel persona

The membership section mostly has questions that are very Phil style, like 'what's your favorite cheese'. If any of you don't have membership but have a good question for Phil, I'd be happy to post it for you!

I really hope he answers some serious questions and maybe something about their plans...
Last edited by Ablissa on Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philena
blobfish

Ablissa wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:42 pm The membership section mostly has boring questions that are very Phil style, like 'what's your favorite cheese'. If any of you don't have membership but have a good question for Phil, I'd be happy to post it for you!

I really hope he answers some serious questions and maybe something about their plans...

Plans. Yes, that is literally all I want to know. I don't expect him to answer those questions, but jesus, just tell us!!!
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I cannot waaaait for him to answer some burning questions as 'what's your favourite cereal?' or 'do you think aliens exist?'

I joke but I don't know what I want to ask. I mean, I DO know but I also know that he wouldn't answer.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Someone just pointed out that this was supposed to be a members perk but I guess I was so happy we were getting more content I don’t care Too much. although if people just ask him about his houseplants and anime recommendations I reserve the right to change my mind
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Could be a way to make an easy video (a Q&A again isn't exactly the most original concept for a video), or could be he's using this as an opportunity to do tell us some stuff on his own terms. Phil is likely aware of some of the frustrations present with his most loyal fans, and a Q&A where he picks the questions and can think in advance about the answers lets him keep all the strings while trying to put a fear or two to rest (or confirming it ;) ).
Last edited by Stakhanov on Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:53 pm Someone just pointed out that this was supposed to be a members perk but I guess I was so happy we were getting more content I don’t care Too much. although if people just ask him about his houseplants and anime recommendations I reserve the right to change my mind
The perk is just choosing half the questions from members, not the video itself - so you have a much, much better chance of getting your q answered if you're a member. But same on the houseplants and anime recs - throw us at least a couple of good answers, Phil, please.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

I have no doubt in my mind that the questions will most likely be ‘lol random’ lighthearted ones, but I did submit some actual questions both in the member post and on Instagram (one about his perceptions on the community and his relationship with his audience compared to other creators and one about if he still views YouTube as a creative outlet where he can try new things (lol) or if he feels boxed in by expectations). I highly doubt he’ll pick them, but I am curious.

I’m honestly just excited for any content- especially a q&a! I just wanna see his face ok??
knq
lava lamp

I really hope people submit questions they want to hear the answers to even if they don't think Phil will choose those questions. Thinking Phil only wants to talk about plants and food and therefore only submitting questions about plants and food just leads to Phil thinking all his audience wants to hear from him are his plant and food opinions.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Well, we have until he uploads to hope he might choose a few deeper qus. I sent a few including how many qus he’s been sent cos that’s always so unbelievably high. That’s a very good point, knq.
Buddahbug
phillion/danosaur <//3

knq wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:30 pm Thinking Phil only wants to talk about plants and food and therefore only submitting questions about plants and food just leads to Phil thinking all his audience wants to hear from him are his plant and food opinions.
I agree.

People tend to ask questions that they feel are safe in the hopes of getting a response. So questions about subjects Dan and Phil have felt comfortable addressing before are the majority.Which leads D&P into maybe thinking these are the things that their audience cares about most and so they talk about those things more. Then we stuck in an endless loop of cereal and furries 😀
Ablissa
pastel persona

So it's been 3+ hours since the member post on youtube, and it now has 330 likes / 825 replies. I suppose a lot of people post more than one question (I did), some maybe replied but didn't like the post.
Once again, I'm wondering how many memberships Phil managed to sell and maintain. I wish we could know :lol:
fancybum
senpai

They probably think they’re too good big for Patreon, but I appreciate being able to see how many patrons people have, if only just out of pure nosiness. But YT likes to be as secretive about money as D&P are so it’s probably a better fit (to my nosy dismay).

Also: This is a correct opinion and I’ll never stop hopelessly wishing to hear more about it in a liveshow :cry: (and even more hopelessly to hear about it from Dan)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

fancybum wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:40 am They probably think they’re too good big for Patreon, but I appreciate being able to see how many patrons people have, if only just out of pure nosiness.
I know that dan backs Contrapoints on patreon at least and I would LOVE to see who he's a patron of because that's a thing I ALSO like to be nosy about.
noodlebum
flower crown

I'm not a member, but I asked on his instagram post whether he misses the gaming channel and would ever consider posting a gaming video on his own channel, and also if he had any egg-citing Easter plans :P
kavat
pastel persona

I asked if he has any plans for 2019 he can share. I doubt he'll answer but maybe he'll know that we're curious.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I asked a few, some light like last videogame he swore at, most comforting food or drink while he had a cold, how many questions he’s been sent and if he’s tried Orphan Black yet, and some not; if there’s anything he’d like us to stop asking or doing, if he’s aware some of us have been confused and a bit hurt that more changed than we were told, and what he’s changed to stay more relaxed since the time he fainted.

Looking forward to seeing his face and hearing his voice, whatever he goes with. I don’t expect answers to the deeper stuff, but him being aware seems like a good thing. Still here for the light entertainment from Mr :sunshine: though (reminds me of a lion with a mane).
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

I just asked "are you and Dan still living together" since the last month or so made me wonder (the strange window being one reason). A clear pick ;)
It'll be nice to see his face indeed. I appreciate his low-effort content because at the moment it feels like being in the fandom is like attending one long, slow funeral. So hopefully he's giving us something to talk about. If his answers are limited to puppies, house plants and a -10% reduction code for the Dan&Phil shop I'm officially pronouncing him dead :lol:
Meanwhile, Dan better be snorting cocaine straight from someone's dick and having the time of his life because i'd like him to recharge his batteries and return swiftly. I miss his face even more.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly