Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

madzilla84 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:39 pm Isn’t the whole point of Easter miraculous, unexpected returns from the dead? :lol:
Ha! Can you imagine the memes? :lol:

Still can't foresee Dan returning to youtube on Phil's channel before his own but I've found over the years that any predictions/assumptions I make about Dan and/or Phil are usually 100% wrong so who knows? (I'm usually good at reading people but these boys always surprise me.)

The only way I think Phil can get away with (so to speak) an Easter video w/out Dan is if it isn't baking related. Like maybe he could dye eggs or something like that. I can see him making some really creative looking ones.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I am very curious to know what’s going on with irl. First Chris Kendall’s shop granted he’s barely active and then danandphilshop having a major cleaning out sale. Nikki and Sammy are also selling merch at 80% off and now Thomas Sanders?

Thomas said he’s switching the company that produces his merch and I think that’s district lines but didn’t Lauren at one point work for/with them? I know my ii dvd was shipped from their warehouse.

Maybe that’s the big mystery with why everything’s being sold....
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Yay, direct communication, well done, Phil. I can’t quite resist a snarky “and it only took a two-week delay to feel worth telling us plainly?” but okay, got there in the end. Interesting to note more of the merch shops are having sales.

Phil’s line of fun-themed bathroom bubbles sounds lovely (can has eco-glitter please? Etc).

The post about Jenna and Safiyah’s chair and lipstick cake videos made me laugh so hard and I can still imagine the waxy taste in that cake. It looked great, though.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Hm that doesn't look like a mere coincidence anymore. I found the deep discounts a bit odd from the start.
Thomas Sanders changing from IRL, Martyn and Cornelia having plenty of stuff going on in their own life... My best guess is that there's either something changing with place they are using for storage (though that wouldn't cover Sander's switch), or they're in the middle of some sort of restructuring/slimming down of the shop. That seems the most plausable to me, with the tours being over and the new projects and content of Dan and Phil being drastically scaled down. Maybe Martyn is ready to start doing other things too? Time will tell.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

IRL Digital only manages Thomas Sanders UK/EU/AU shop, the US one that is being switched is run through District Lines. There's no sale on shopthomassanders.co.uk so I don't think their merch empire is crumbling or anything. :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

I just heard seagulls screaming for the first time this year, which made me think of Dan and Phil because when they came to Helsinki, they had an encounter with seagulls.

(the last story in this video)
kavat
pastel persona

Niki & Sammy said that their current merch won't be available again, and that their store is closing for a while. It might be something like a warehouse move or changing ecommerce platform provider or something, but it does seem like too much of a coincidence that so many of the IRL shops are having big clear outs right now.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:46 pm Niki & Sammy said that their current merch won't be available again, and that their store is closing for a while. It might be something like a warehouse move or changing ecommerce platform provider or something, but it does seem like too much of a coincidence that so many of the IRL shops are having big clear outs right now.
I wonder if something did happen behind the scenes that is forcing an abrupt change? That might be the reason Phil seemed primed to launch new merch, then there's a hold up. I don't think there's anything long term dire about this (especially since Lauren directly said the Dan and Phil shop isn't closing) but it would make sense if maybe they're having to change warehouses unexpectedly or something? Maybe just trying to unload as much as quickly as possible (especially since everything on sale seems to be old merch) is more cost effective than transporting it.
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:17 pm
kavat wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:46 pm Niki & Sammy said that their current merch won't be available again, and that their store is closing for a while. It might be something like a warehouse move or changing ecommerce platform provider or something, but it does seem like too much of a coincidence that so many of the IRL shops are having big clear outs right now.
I wonder if something did happen behind the scenes that is forcing an abrupt change? That might be the reason Phil seemed primed to launch new merch, then there's a hold up. I don't think there's anything long term dire about this (especially since Lauren directly said the Dan and Phil shop isn't closing) but it would make sense if maybe they're having to change warehouses unexpectedly or something? Maybe just trying to unload as much as quickly as possible (especially since everything on sale seems to be old merch) is more cost effective than transporting it.
Oh yeah, it's definitely more cost effective. Having old things that sell slowly on the shelf is bad on it's own, as it just takes up space that could be occupied by faster selling items and raises the stock value without really contributing to the sales. When you move warehouse you generally try to empty out the old one as much as possible to lower the cost of transportation and it's just a bad idea to spend time and money on moving around slow moving items that you probably wont be making profit from anyway.

A platform change is also plausible to me, as that can always screw things up a bit. You plan for it to take a month but it takes six, etc. And even then you might want to do a sale before so you don't have to transfer as many items from the old system to the new one, which depending on your way of working can be a very time consuming thing. Now IRL don't have that many items in total, even with the different shops, but they are also not a big company so I'm guessing they are doing a bit of manual data input. So a platform change can hold things up more than you think.

I finally get to use my specific knowledge in ecommerce on here, woop woop
fancybum
senpai

Maybe the shop not closing just means it’s going on hiatus and IRL doesn’t consider it a lie since they’re an extension of Dan and Phil, who themselves like to be creative with language and implied meanings to obscure actual reality however they see fit. Not sure that sentence makes sense but what I’m saying is I don’t trust any words that come out of their mouths or anybody associated with them lol. Nails in coffins everywhere is all I’m seeing lately.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
autumnhearth
senpai

Hmm interesting business speculations, I don’t have much to contribute, but speaking of merch, my sale items just arrived (the UK shop continues to be faster at fulfillment than the US shop in my experience at least) and I noticed on the packing slip that the fulfillment center is in Chorley, Lanchester, northwest of Manchester.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Yup. You can deny it all day long but the retreat from youtube has been clear since the start of 2018. Doesn't seem like anything is coming in the place after the end of the II era.
Maybe it's for the best. This fandom is past its expiration date.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:08 pm Maybe the shop not closing just means it’s going on hiatus and IRL doesn’t consider it a lie since they’re an extension of Dan and Phil, who themselves like to be creative with language and implied meanings to obscure actual reality however they see fit. Not sure that sentence makes sense but what I’m saying is I don’t trust any words that come out of their mouths or anybody associated with them lol. Nails in coffins everywhere is all I’m seeing lately.
I trust Phil having new merch coming out, and I don't think he'd have been teasing it as recently as a week ago if everything were on fire and the merch empire were about to be no more.

I also think it'd have been very, very easy for Lauren to just not answer my question and let the shop go the way of vagueness if that was their intent. Responding to one person privately via DM would in most cases do nothing more than reach that one person, if they were really trying to obscure actual reality with creative language a tweet would have done a better job.
fancybum
senpai

Anyway everybody go get 50% off at the crabstickz shop with code CRAB50 and fund Chris’s redbull addiction for another day. It helps out D&P too so everybody wins!

Edit: scratch that, I’m not seeing a promo code area anymore but everything is cheap as hell either way :shrug:
kavat
pastel persona

Ablissa
pastel persona

Stakhanov wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:20 pm Yup. You can deny it all day long but the retreat from youtube has been clear since the start of 2018. Doesn't seem like anything is coming in the place after the end of the II era.
If you think that, perhaps it means that your presence in this fandom is past its expiration date? Just a little suggestion. 😊
If the fandom brings you no joy and you bring no joy to others, especially given recent circumstances, then I can see how that might bother you. The rest of us are still doing fine, but you're sooo nice to care about us like that, and as always I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate your amazing voice of reason. Truly the only smart person in this fandom tbh. 🥰

Oh and to stay on topic - Dan and Phil have nice hair, and I like Phil's insta story, and I hate filters because they hide his face. Thanks
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Ablissa wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:31 pm
Stakhanov wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:20 pm Yup. You can deny it all day long but the retreat from youtube has been clear since the start of 2018. Doesn't seem like anything is coming in the place after the end of the II era.

If you think that, perhaps it means that your presence in this fandom is past its expiration date? Just a little suggestion. 😊
If the fandom brings you no joy and you bring no joy to others, especially given recent circumstances, then I can see how that might bother you. The rest of us are still doing fine, but you're sooo nice to care about us like that, and as always I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we appreciate your amazing voice of reason. Truly the only smart person in this fandom tbh. 🥰

Oh and to stay on topic - Dan and Phil have nice hair, and I like Phil's insta story, and I hate filters because they hide his face. Thanks
lol. You don't seem to understand that this post wasn't about you. It's voicing a feeling about the state of Dan and Phil content right now and how they might shift away from youtube.
I feel perfectly fine with my presence, thank you. I can see that your compliment and care is soooo genuine and it's really impressive how you just know how to speak for everyone in the fandom. I guess you're part of some hivemind after all :lol:

Most interesting thing about that photo is the couch. Some people think it's the gaming room couch, if that's true I'm seeing that as another nail in the coffin of the moving theory. Maybe we ever do get the Q&A, we'll get some information.
fancybum
senpai

Anyway, yet another scintillating tweet from Dan.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Amen. A bit of an ironic snear to social media from a man who has his incredible wealth and freedom as a result of it, but I love that he's pointing out some of the shallowness of this time.
kavat
pastel persona

I don't like the sound of an annual selfie, not at all. Don't play with us like that fire boy.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Not a fan of Dan's climate change tweets. Ever. Maybe I'm over sensitive since it's a trigger of mine, but I find his tweets about it always in very poor taste. Ah well. I'll sit around and wait for that selfie next year then (though on that topic, I find his wording with recovering his energy interesting)
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

fancybum wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:27 pm Anyway, yet another scintillating tweet from Dan.
It looks like engagement on this latest tweet is kinda low for a Dan tweet. Not that anything about this particular tweet really inspires audience engagement, but still, something noteworthy.

Based on today's social media posts, I guess we can conclude that Phil's bored and playing with Instagram filters to pass the time while Dan's sat in a corner contemplating the fate of our dying planet. "And that's what you missed on Glee!"
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

sapienveneficus wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:44 pm
fancybum wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:27 pm Anyway, yet another scintillating tweet from Dan.
It looks like engagement on this latest tweet is kinda low for a Dan tweet. Not that anything about this particular tweet really inspires audience engagement, but still, something noteworthy.

Based on today's social media posts, I guess we can conclude that Phil's bored and playing with Instagram filters to pass the time while Dan's sat in a corner contemplating the fate of our dying planet. "And that's what you missed on Glee!"
Yeah, I usually reply to his tweet, just the one thing that crosses my mind at the time but for this one my mind went blank and I rolled my eyes so...

(nice Glee reference, I'm happy)
:gayaf:
knq
lava lamp

Holy shit I forgot Dan had twitter. It really has become the Phildom in my mind.

The annual selfie tweet made me laugh. I like it just for the fact that it acknowledges reality (with hyperbole, of course) and I wish he'd make a similar comment about baking/gaming so that even if I had no idea what to actually expect he'd have acknowledged it. That wouldn't go over well though.

I've seen a lot of people say they don't think Dan will show up on Youtube in joint content (baking) before he makes a comeback on DINOF. I agree but I'm starting to question why I think that. Dan has straight up said he doesn't like being a 'full time' youtuber. Why would he make a 'comeback' to something he doesn't love or doesn't intend to continue doing? It makes as much sense for him to show up occasionally, make a joke about his absence, and then bake a cake, imo. :shrug: Easter baking 2019!
Grey
lady door

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what the new video instead of the q&a will be?
Easter-related but not baking?
Making Easter themed slime on my lap ?
Or just random tag style video that has nothing to do with Easter?
I'm having a stress.