Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
full-time internet hobo
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 84: Still Alive

Post by autumnhearth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 am

At this point I’m thinking the Q&A video won’t be until this weekend.

I didn’t have anything to add to the joint branding conversation, but I’ve been thinking it over. I wanted to read the exact wording from the first ii shows. Thanks to dizzy for the transcript!

Matinee
D: Me and Phil, because we’ve just been following this happy accidental adventure of Dan and Phil - (Dan misspeaks, everyone laughs) - but a time may come when we’ll want to follow rainbows of our own. For example, Phil will want to-
P: I might want to make this not-hamster documentary.
D: And I don’t want to follow Phil down that path. Before that happens, that is why we wanted to have this opportunity to actually interact with you and feel like we had a conversation, we saw your faces, we managed to bond with each other.

Evening
D: I think it's safe to say that EVENTUALLY we might want to do SOME projects that are just for ourselves, like what were you saying the other -
P: Yeah I was saying I might make a documentary about odd socks. Where do the other socks go?
D: And we all support him. But I don't need to join him on that adventure, right?
P: No.
D: But before that, while we're all here today we want to let you in, to like the real Dan and Phil connection.
P: The raw, intimate connection.
D: Literally, stop saying intimate.
P: I didn't make it better by putting raw in front of it, did I?

This combined with their talent profiles now being separate with different specialties and separate representatives to me indicates that they want to move towards their own careers. However I still don’t think you can say joint branding (not content) is truly dead unless the gaming channel never comes back. And even then there are still possibilities for joint projects like a podcast or games. But it likely won’t be as dan&phil tm as we have grown accustomed to.

I can definitely see Dan going down a more serious route continuing to support mental health and anti-bullying campaigns and possibly politics and social justice. While I don’t think he will ever stop with the self deprecating humor (especially on Twitter) the days of Resons Why Dan’s a Fail are long behind us. TTLMT’s scene with him wondering how he became a sad clown supports this. Whereas Phil seems happy to keep it light and fun. We may see more games from just him and I would love for him to do a documentary on not-hamster socks. Follow those rainbows boys!

Phantasy
#relatable

Post by Phantasy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:41 am

*waits patiently for Dan to leave some love for Miss Benny’s Every Boy bop*

plinthofmylife
hobbit hair

Post by plinthofmylife » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:58 am

Phantasy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:41 am
I'm glad I'm not the only one expecting that.

kavat
blobfish

Post by kavat » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:44 am

Phantasy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:41 am
Kevin Abstract also just released new music. I would have loved a waffly live show this week.
Do you make mistakes or do you make a change?

noodlebum
phabergé

Post by noodlebum » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:39 am

autumnhearth wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:08 am
At this point I’m thinking the Q&A video won’t be until this weekend.

I didn’t have anything to add to the joint branding conversation, but I’ve been thinking it over. I wanted to read the exact wording from the first ii shows. Thanks to dizzy for the transcript!
Matinee
D: Me and Phil, because we’ve just been following this happy accidental adventure of Dan and Phil - (Dan misspeaks, everyone laughs) - but a time may come when we’ll want to follow rainbows of our own. For example, Phil will want to-
P: I might want to make this not-hamster documentary.
D: And I don’t want to follow Phil down that path. Before that happens, that is why we wanted to have this opportunity to actually interact with you and feel like we had a conversation, we saw your faces, we managed to bond with each other.

Evening
D: I think it's safe to say that EVENTUALLY we might want to do SOME projects that are just for ourselves, like what were you saying the other -
P: Yeah I was saying I might make a documentary about odd socks. Where do the other socks go?
D: And we all support him. But I don't need to join him on that adventure, right?
P: No.
D: But before that, while we're all here today we want to let you in, to like the real Dan and Phil connection.
P: The raw, intimate connection.
D: Literally, stop saying intimate.
P: I didn't make it better by putting raw in front of it, did I?

This combined with their talent profiles now being separate with different specialties and separate representatives to me indicates that they want to move towards their own careers. However I still don’t think you can say joint branding (not content) is truly dead unless the gaming channel never comes back. And even then there are still possibilities for joint projects like a podcast or games. But it likely won’t be as dan&phil tm as we have grown accustomed to.

I can definitely see Dan going down a more serious route continuing to support mental health and anti-bullying campaigns and possibly politics and social justice. While I don’t think he will ever stop with the self deprecating humor (especially on Twitter) the days of Resons Why Dan’s a Fail are long behind us. TTLMT’s scene with him wondering how he became a sad clown supports this. Whereas Phil seems happy to keep it light and fun. We may see more games from just him and I would love for him to do a documentary on not-hamster socks. Follow those rainbows boys!
Reading this again just makes it obvious that this was planned all along, in my mind. The tour was a last hurrah to the dnp joined-at-the-hip brand, and now they're looking to pursue their own interests. Doesn't mean they're not still friends/soulmates, but maybe only in videos etc. together a couple of times a year. We'll see. But yeah, this cements it really for me :shrug: Until Dan comes back, who can be sure what it means fully

Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Post by Stakhanov » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:04 am

@autumnhearth @noodlebum Interesting to read that again. I think you're right that the days of "Dan and Phil TM" could be behind us, and the tour always gave me the impression of a "last hurrah", precisely because of things like these they said.

But I find it really hard to get a sense of where they want to go. I could see them doing radically different things. One thing I found remarkable: Phil revealed in a video a while ago (can't remember which one exactly, fake fan) that he really doubted between becoming a youtuber or accepting an offer he got from a studio. That makes me think he might pursue a differnent passion, maybe something that's more related to movie/cartoon making. It wouldn't be completely foreign to them, he has some relevant skills as producer. Dan too has talked about other things than youtube. Maybe he'd like to go back to college. He's done little solo projects like the Supergamers documentary. They sure have the finacial freedom and maybe also the intent to move on to new pastures or, if they wanted too, basically rest on their laurels and be extremely selective about projects they want to engage in.

But maybe the change they want is more gradual. Phil has resumed making video's, and with the volutary paid subscription model he adopted, the youtube platform might still capture (a large part) of his professional commitment. Dan might focus further on non-professional activities or return to youtube with an entire new take on his style and content. The joint content might just resume under (a changed) DAPG or they might just look for other things to do together.
Frankly, I suspect they want to change up a couple of things at least. I think they sense and feel like there's some rust on the D&P brand. I don't think they were always happy with how people considered them joined at the hip, even if for all kinds of reasons "the happy accidental adventure of Dan and Phil" has been their main focus and the prism through which they are bing viewed by many.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Post by rizzo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:41 pm

someone ran into d&p at a train station:
so that's 2 pics we now have of them together. i feel ever-so-slightly more fed than i was 2 days ago. ugh, i've missed dan. ;-;

teenie tiny mod note: if you're running into weird errors when trying to post, please reach out to myself or any of the other mods. we're actively digging into this issue. thanks everyone! still working through it, but appreciate the PMs we got. :)

noodlebum
phabergé

Post by noodlebum » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Dan's sad dimple never fails to make me laugh :lol:

Aww, the fans look so young

autumnhearth
full-time internet hobo

Post by autumnhearth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Those are literal children. Ooo a new Dan jumper! Thin white stripes on black, nt Topman or ASOS, so I’ll leave this one to the professionals.

Ablissa
pastel persona

Post by Ablissa » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:53 pm

This is so cute. I sincerely thank those kids for spotting deppy and blessing us with this selfie <3

flarequake
three-coloured eyes
Pronouns: She/her

Post by flarequake » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:46 pm

The kids are cute, the boys are gorgeous and Phil's outfit reminds me of a Star Trek uniform. Good day :sunshine:

susan2
lady door

Post by susan2 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:10 pm

autumnhearth wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:38 pm
Those are literal children. Ooo a new Dan jumper! Thin white stripes on black, nt Topman or ASOS, so I’ll leave this one to the professionals.
I think it's the same jumper he had on for the IoM duo pic -
I would guess it's this one from All Saints (black with white stripes, instead of his white one with black stripes!).

autumnhearth
full-time internet hobo

Post by autumnhearth » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:26 pm

Ah I had forgot what they were wearing in that pic, only that we hadn’t seen it in any videos or “official pictures”. Good memory!

scientia
rainbow nerd

Post by scientia » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:12 pm

Wonder where they were traveling to/from? Do they have to take the train to go to their management company or is a taxi more viable? I want make the most out of this sighting by speculating :)

flarequake
three-coloured eyes
Pronouns: She/her

Post by flarequake » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:22 pm

Pretty sure that's them coming back from seeing PJ and Sophie.

Ataraxia25
stress mushroom

Post by Ataraxia25 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:07 pm

So many questions...
<3 <3 <3

Amiaw
stress mushroom

Post by Amiaw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 pm

The filming flat? Hmmm....

Philena
stress mushroom

Post by Philena » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:18 pm

Amiaw wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 pm
The filming flat? Hmmm....
Right?? So, he just likes a really tightly framed shot? Or is this to better ease transition to any new white walled area, like we thought?? Weird.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Post by alittledizzy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:19 pm

If they have kept the filming flat and aren't moving, that actually convinces me that the gaming channel/a joint content channel isn't dead at all. Because with Phil moving his set up, there's no reason for them to hang onto an extra place if there's nothing being actively filmed in it unless they know at some point soonish (soon enough to keep paying rent on it) there will be.

Ablissa
pastel persona

Post by Ablissa » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm

That's the filming flat. Right? I'm sorry to say that I'm starting to be doubtful about the moving theory, buuut maybe they'll surprise us.

I never thought they'd let go of the filming flat while still living upstairs, so them having both doesn't change anything to me, but I do wonder why they removed (some of) the props from the flat, and why Phil moved to this super tight filming space.
alittledizzy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:19 pm
If they have kept the filming flat and aren't moving, that actually convinces me that the gaming channel/a joint content channel isn't dead at all. Because with Phil moving his set up, there's no reason for them to hang onto an extra place if there's nothing being actively filmed in it unless they know at some point soonish (soon enough to keep paying rent on it) there will be.
I agree!! I also believe that they would keep the filming flat regardless of their plans, because they wouldn't want to still live in the building while that flat goes up for rent.

Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

Post by Stakhanov » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:29 pm

Looks like moving hill is ready to cave in. I'm more excited about this video than i have been for one of Phil's vids in a pretty long time, mostly because i hope (expect?) him to divulge at least a little bit of information of the state of the hiatus, or possible future plans.

Or maybe it's just 15 minutes of him splashing water in his face. Could that story be about his much asked about skin routine?
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Post by alittledizzy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:41 pm

Ablissa wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:22 pm
alittledizzy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:19 pm
I agree!! I also believe that they would keep the filming flat regardless of their plans, because they wouldn't want to still live in the building while that flat goes up for rent.
That's a valid point! I still think that this setup isn't long term for them, but it took them six months last time between deciding to move and actually moving so I've never really put a specific cap on when I think it'll happen. I think you're right that they wouldn't wanna risk fans poking around or even potentially renting it (I mean, that'd be fans with some deep pockets, but who knows) while they live in the building.

Amiaw
stress mushroom

Post by Amiaw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:43 pm

They could also still hold the lease on the filming flat because they didn’t officially move until April
Of last year and Phil filmed this video last week. I’m thinking he may have had to use the flat for the Q&A because he couldn’t do a skincare routine on his closet and if he picked questions that required him to move around he definitely wasn’t going to be showing us their living flat this year

Also I guess I should have known since they seem to still have the same furniture upstairs but the thing that confuses me is why did he stop using the bedroom? Did they redecorate It with the stag blankets we saw in his other video?

liola
interactive introvert

Post by liola » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:45 pm

Ok y'all I might be the moron of the day or genuinely forgotten what rooms look like but... we never really got confirmation of which bathroom is in the living flat vs filming flat? Hell at this point I'm ready to throw a summer bbq on this hill and camp here until September rolls around but like..we don't know for sure, they have like 3 bathrooms :shrugs:

All in all I'm so ready for this phil video especially if it brings him out of that white wall angle
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and how cute Phil Lester is.

Philena
stress mushroom

Post by Philena » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:48 pm

liola wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:45 pm
Ok y'all I might be the moron of the day or genuinely forgotten what rooms look like but... we never really got confirmation of which bathroom is in the living flat vs filming flat? Hell at this point I'm ready to throw a summer bbq on this hill and camp here until September rolls around but like..we don't know for sure, they have like 3 bathrooms :shrugs:

All in all I'm so ready for this phil video especially if it brings him out of that white wall angle
You're right. I thought it was "commonly accepted" that the one pictured is in the filming flat, but i guess we have know real way to know for sure.