Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Luu
tol bean
Pronouns: She/her

Are they trying to destroy everything the've ever built?? The only thing that's left is the AP channel.

(I'm new btw hiiii 👋, sorry for the not so happy first post)
intoapuddle
spork

It's a weird time in general with Dan and Phil at the moment. At any other time, an announcement like this would have barely been talked about. Context matters, though, and the context is that Dan is mia, the joint merch shop is gone, and DAPG has been gone for almost six months without explanation. At just a quick glance it could be seen as "the end of Dan and Phil (the brand)", but I want to offer a different perspective.

I think it's the end of a lot of old Dan and Phil stuff. Their names aren't going to be on a board game, pinof and dan vs phil have ended, the app is gone. But I think that it's merely the end of that era. But remember, TATINOF was the end of a lot of things, too. Post II is the same. But - they told us they still want to do annual videos and series (yearly mukbang), Dan is prepping for videos (he has told us he will post a video when he's ready / when the aesthetics are ready). Yes, the post TATINOF Dan and Phil have been retired, but I still believe that there is a lot of exciting content for us in the future with the two of them.

I can't say what or when, but I want this to be serve as a reminder for the people I've seen doubting Dan's return and the return of Dan and Phil together. This is just a thing, and it doesn't /really/ mean all that much in the grand scheme of things. It's okay. When they have something big to announce, they will announce it. If this meant more than just taking a game off the app store, they would give us more than an ig story.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Luu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 pm Are they trying to destroy everything the've ever built?? The only thing that's left is the AP channel.

My mood right now. Honestly I'm kinda pissed. I don't care about the app but as someone said just before, we only have news bout things ending. I want good news.

Also welcome Luu :)
:gayaf:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Luu wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:07 pm Are they trying to destroy everything the've ever built?? The only thing that's left is the AP channel.

I do really think that the Truth Bombs redesign and the app would have happened either way. I don't think they're destroying things, I think they're just transitioning into something more long term suitable for themselves. It's a bad look that these kinds of updates are all we're getting, though. I'm bummed about it. Like I said in my previous post, I'm ready for the turning point now.
intoapuddle wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:12 pm It's a weird time in general with Dan and Phil at the moment. At any other time, an announcement like this would have barely been talked about. Context matters, though, and the context is that Dan is mia, the joint merch shop is gone, and DAPG has been gone for almost six months without explanation. At just a quick glance it could be seen as "the end of Dan and Phil (the brand)", but I want to offer a different perspective.

I think it's the end of a lot of old Dan and Phil stuff. Their names aren't going to be on a board game, pinof and dan vs phil have ended, the app is gone. But I think that it's merely the end of that era. But remember, TATINOF was the end of a lot of things, too. Post II is the same. But - they told us they still want to do annual videos and series (yearly mukbang), Dan is prepping for videos (he has told us he will post a video when he's ready / when the aesthetics are ready). Yes, the post TATINOF Dan and Phil have been retired, but I still believe that there is a lot of exciting content for us in the future with the two of them.

I can't say what or when, but I want this to be serve as a reminder for the people I've seen doubting Dan's return and the return of Dan and Phil together. This is just a thing, and it doesn't /really/ mean all that much in the grand scheme of things. It's okay. When they have something big to announce, they will announce it. If this meant more than just taking a game off the app store, they would give us more than an ig story.
This is a fantastic post, thank you. :love1:
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

In response to the ig story & Phil's reply tweet about it they're being bombarded on twitter with people asking for updates, venting their frustrations, etc. And I know Phil is seeing them because he's been liking stuff. I'm mostly very chill about the whole hiatus but I don't know how they can continue to ignore all of it, it's really weird.
waveydnp
drama llama

i’m curious why the people who are sure there will be new things to come are so convinced of that. to me at this point it seems just as likely that they’re done with joint content as it is that they’re not. they haven’t really given us any reason to trust that there will be new things. Dan has been saying he’ll make a video ‘when he’s ready’ for like a year and a half now and they seem to be systematically putting an end to every aspect of their joint branding.
Mia
spork

I'm in favour of the app being ended and the changes to the box. I didn't download the app or buy the game as wasn't into it personally and barely have friends over to play games.

I'm guessing that the app may not be getting enough users to warrant it's continuation. I don't see it come up often as something people still use in the phandom. It's practical to stop supporting it if it's come to a natural end. There was the Apartment Red Facebook game back in the day which came to an end after that project finished.

The game being changed makes so much sense to get more people to buy it. It's a good game but some people may be put off by their names being on it, as not sure who they are etc etc.

I'm expecting a video from Dan around his birthday. I say this when I felt like we would get one in March... Looking forward to Phil's Q&A vdeo tonight as I'm hoping for good quality questions being asked and some more insight into Phil
000dia000
emo goose

Yeah. I don't understand any kind of optimism at this point.
:cactus:
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I’m feeling worse every time there’s an update like this, tbh, being repeatedly reminded of feeling upset and furious with ex-friends who disappeared (ironic, ofc, cos those holes were what DnP filled so deeply in my sappy brain). I just know that if I saw one of their faces, especially if they’re telling us some of this in a direct, personal way (even explaining it before they’re asked), I’d be all for them and whatever they need to do, but this just endlessly p-s me off now. Talk of shedding anyone except hardcore audience isn’t working for me, I thought I was as in it for life as anyone, but those feelings are getting tainted.

I’m unconvinced of changes such as the gaming channel returning, but not knowing, can’t be certain there’ll never be any kind of joint content again. Dunno if holding out hope for that amidst the uncertainty is just clinging to hope, but I’ve missed it.
blahblahblah8

I can understand ppl being upset about the hiatus/things ending but don’t really get why ppl are replying to Phil being angry. He’s giving direct communication about things like truth bombs and the app and he’s making content. I feel like he’s really trying and it seems like ppl are taking their frustrations on the hiatus/dan’s silence out on him :/
Also hi I’ve been lurking for a while but never felt the need to join discussions but rn I just feel bad for Phil lol
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Because after 6 months of waiting and wondering, a few lines in an ig story feels like the bare minimum and frustrations have spilled over.
Grey
lady door

I think AP is just sticking around to keep their core followers for when they find some better to do which they need followers for. They’re obviously done with being “Dan and Phil” but Phil hasn’t found his next thing yet so he’s keeping us around for his safety. When he does find it, he’ll dump us too.

If we get “yearly mukbangs” I’ll eat my hat. Even in the first one, Dan said he doesn’t like eating on camera. That’s just yet another bs claim to keep people around until they’ve established something better.
I'm having a stress.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

idgaf about that app because it was always kinda dumb, but booooy am I annoyed at how they're handling everything.

That was (yet another) joint D&P thing, but Phil is the only one notifying us about it. Just Phil. Not Dan. I really don't care how many things Dan is or isn't doing on or off YouTube right now. He can still talk to us. Have the decency to at least be visibly involved in the way the Dan and Phil brand is being axed. At this point it isn't even about patience anymore. Like others have said, lately it seems like things are only ending. The only thing we have left is Phil, who tries his best but just can't sustain the phandom on his own. It was a nice distraction for a while, but it isn't working anymore. Like I hate saying that fans are entitled to anything, but after years of people pouring support and money into them... yeah maybe we do have the right to know what the hell is going on? People are over playing the waiting game, hurt and sad about how this year has gone so far. At least provide them with some comfort. Don't just ignore this. :sideeye:

Dan has now practically abandoned every platform we can find him on. YouTube, YouNow, Instagram, Tumblr, and now Twitter. Plenty of things to tweet about with Eurovision, Game Of Thrones, and the European Elections, but there's been nothing. If it weren't for Hazel's Instagram we never would've known he was at the writer's retreat either, and that's fine but that also means he fully intended to just disappear on us completely. Cool. That sure makes me feel better. Do you still want people to support whatever the fuck you're working on or nah? Stop taking the people waiting for you for granted. It's rude and unprofessional.

The way Phil announced the shutdown of the app was shit too. Instagram Stories? The thing that automatically disppears after 24 hours? Come the fuck on. Put it somewhere more permanent. Also popping up on Stories after a week with only this sad excuse of an announcement? Not a good look Philly. I hope your next video is good because uuuuugh.

this tweet was brought to you by a person currently mad at other things like korean entertainment agencies so sorry not sorry for the extra salt
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
blahblahblah8

flarequake wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:24 pm Because after 6 months of waiting and wondering, a few lines in an ig story feels like the bare minimum and frustrations have spilled over.
Honestly I understand frustration but he’s put it on Instagram and Twitter so I don’t know what ppl are expecting? How can he make a video about these things when they’re all joint work with Dan and dan is mia rn. If he addressed it in a bigger way without dan present (and dan is obviously choosing not to be present rn) I feel like it would’ve made a bigger issue. Not saying anyone shouldn’t be angry, just surprised at ppl being angry with Phil. I’m glad ppl are expressing frustration, thats great! I guess I feel like Phil doesn’t deserve it @ him bec he’s limited in what he can do bec of dan
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

waveydnp wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:41 pm i’m curious why the people who are sure there will be new things to come are so convinced of that. to me at this point it seems just as likely that they’re done with joint content as it is that they’re not. they haven’t really given us any reason to trust that there will be new things. Dan has been saying he’ll make a video ‘when he’s ready’ for like a year and a half now and they seem to be systematically putting an end to every aspect of their joint branding.
+1

I'm not feeling well and should probably just shut up but once again Phil gets to be the bearer of bad news huh? Bet it would be nice not to be on the receiving end of the phandoms anger and scorn once again.
Bet Phil would like to try it one day...
liola
rankussy

blahblahblah8 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 pm
flarequake wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:24 pm Because after 6 months of waiting and wondering, a few lines in an ig story feels like the bare minimum and frustrations have spilled over.
Honestly I understand frustration but he’s put it on Instagram and Twitter so I don’t know what ppl are expecting? How can he make a video about these things when they’re all joint work with Dan and dan is mia rn. If he addressed it in a bigger way without dan present (and dan is obviously choosing not to be present rn) I feel like it would’ve made a bigger issue. Not saying anyone shouldn’t be angry, just surprised at ppl being angry with Phil. I’m glad ppl are expressing frustration, thats great! I guess I feel like Phil doesn’t deserve it @ him bec he’s limited in what he can do bec of dan
This isn't about the app though, this is about 6 months of basically 0 communication about all the things that are either disappearing or completely ignored. Also, Phil didn't put the announcement on twitter, he just replied to a question about it and if you don't look at his replies you won't even get the notification. IThis isn't about a specific thing, people are upset that they're completely ignoring the issue for months, and it's unfair but sadly Phil is the only one around in some capacity and is also the one who has always delivered business-y things so yeah, sucks for him but that's just how things are right now. Tweeting at Dan is less useful than tweeting at a deleted account at this point. Woudl love if he remembered this is also his business, would love if he cared about communicating with his audience, but it's pretty obvious he doesn't give any fucks at least right now.

So yeah, Phil is stuck with this. But hey, he gets to post a video tonight just in time to be overshadowed by the still upset feelings, that's great
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Catallena wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 6:27 pm idgaf about that app because it was always kinda dumb, but booooy am I annoyed at how they're handling everything.

That was (yet another) joint D&P thing, but Phil is the only one notifying us about it. Just Phil. Not Dan. I really don't care how many things Dan is or isn't doing on or off YouTube right now. He can still talk to us. Have the decency to at least be visibly involved in the way the Dan and Phil brand is being axed. At this point it isn't even about patience anymore. Like others have said, lately it seems like things are only ending. The only thing we have left is Phil, who tries his best but just can't sustain the phandom on his own. It was a nice distraction for a while, but it isn't working anymore. Like I hate saying that fans are entitled to anything, but after years of people pouring support and money into them... yeah maybe we do have the right to know what the hell is going on? People are over playing the waiting game, hurt and sad about how this year has gone so far. At least provide them with some comfort. Don't just ignore this. :sideeye:

Dan has now practically abandoned every platform we can find him on. YouTube, YouNow, Instagram, Tumblr, and now Twitter. Plenty of things to tweet about with Eurovision, Game Of Thrones, and the European Elections, but there's been nothing. If it weren't for Hazel's Instagram we never would've known he was at the writer's retreat either, and that's fine but that also means he fully intended to just disappear on us completely. Cool. That sure makes me feel better. Do you still want people to support whatever the fuck you're working on or nah? Stop taking the people waiting for you for granted. It's rude and unprofessional.

The way Phil announced the shutdown of the app was shit too. Instagram Stories? The thing that automatically disppears after 24 hours? Come the fuck on. Put it somewhere more permanent. Also popping up on Stories after a week with only this sad excuse of an announcement? Not a good look Philly. I hope your next video is good because uuuuugh.
This post was fantastic! I agree with just about everything you wrote, but the bolded section in particular. I've written many a post about the frustration I've been feeling as a fan these days. (Both my frustration with Dan and my frustration with Phil) I don't want to re-hash what I've already said so I'll try not to.

What you wrote about all the financial support the fans have given them over the years really resonated with me. Thinking of all the gifts, presents sent via YouNow, books purchased, sponsored products purchased, conventions attended, live shows attended, and merchandise purchased; this massive community has quite literally invested millions into these two. Now, that doesn't entitle us to a never-ending stream of entertainment. I don't expect them to be donning whiskers well into their 90s out of a sense of obligation, but I do think we're owed some sort of explanation.

The more the hiatus drags on with no real news (other than negative stuff like the app being discontinued) the crappier many fans feel (this fan included). What they're doing right now sucks. I can't say it more plainly than that.
Last edited by sapienveneficus on Fri May 24, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
intoapuddle
spork

waveydnp wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 5:41 pm i’m curious why the people who are sure there will be new things to come are so convinced of that. to me at this point it seems just as likely that they’re done with joint content as it is that they’re not. they haven’t really given us any reason to trust that there will be new things. Dan has been saying he’ll make a video ‘when he’s ready’ for like a year and a half now and they seem to be systematically putting an end to every aspect of their joint branding.
My conviction is based on what they've told us. They've told us they want to make videos together, Dan says he wants to make videos for his own channel, and both the announcement about the board game as well as the app has been followed with some version of "we want to try new things".

I understand why it's hard to believe what they tell us though, and I feel like that too sometimes. To me it seems like things are being postponed though, rather than them feeding us lies just to end up not following through and disappointing us. People are already disappointed and they have every right to be, I just wanted to explain why I'm sure there's going to be more joint content eventually
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Ugh, i just watched the first minute and he managed to make me laugh even if i don't want to laugh because i'm kinda pissed at them both right now. But Phil owns me...
:gayaf:
fairylights
crusty sponge

another low effort video, but it made me smile. i kind of got a bit ehh of it by the end, but overall it was mostly enjoyable enough.

and we got a dan mention. it's kind of sad that a single, tiny dan mention makes me feel a bit better, but i'll take it.

personally, i enjoy all of phil's videos more than i used to? solo ap content used to be my least favorite, but i like them a lot more now. (probably because it's all we get, but)
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Well, first time I’ve started watching a video feeling so :sideeye: with him, but I melted after a while, I think the snapchat filters did it, then the personality test definitely did cos we match exactly. Interesting to know after years of people thinking they’d both be INTJ. Not 100% here for more spon, tbh, though at least he put it plainly on the screen. He answered a few deeper questions, that’s good to see. Damn, though, I remember feeling too affected by some man’s advice, wish I’d magically known not to listen too.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

This video didn't do it for me. Why? Because he didn't answer a single question of substance. I know he can't address any of the giant elephants in the room (Where's dan? What's the deal with DanAndPhilGames? Will liveshows ever return? What the H-E double hockey sticks is up with you two and your content this year?) but how hard would it have been to tell us a bit about his trip to Florida? I'm sure tons of people asked about that. And before you ask, no, mating lizards does not count as vacation talk.

Also, did anyone else find it kind of odd that he was trying out filters on an app he doesn't use?
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I liked the video, but damn.

That #spon could've made for such a good video bUT HE MISSED THE OPPORTUNITY.

Are Pokémon cards nostalgic? Hell yes. So many people my age collected those suckers, including me. You know what's also nostalgic? Just collecting them because it was cool and the pictures looked pretty but not knowing how to play. I never learned. I bet most people never did. In my class of like 30 kids I think there were maybe two people who actually played the game and one even did tournaments for a while.

He could've made a video about learning how to play. That could've been really interesting and great and original.

*deep sigh*

Title should've been something along the lines of 'SPILLING YOUTUBE TEA' like I know he has morals or whatever but nobody cares about Snapchat Filters enough to click on a YouTube video with a title like that. This ain't 2014 hon. Also put Q&A in those titles. People are nosy bastards and will click.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Luu
tol bean

Well, it was a video. For me it kinda felt like filler and a bit too structured, like he made sure all the typical amazingphil things were there:
-quirky humor
-animal talk (mating ofc)
-games and tv shows he's into
Also, he knows we like to know more things about his personality and life and he gave us that by answering some "deep" questions (not deep at all). Tbh this is the first video I watch that didn't make me melt over him. Probably beacuse there is so much tension and uncertainty in the phandom.

I feel more like I'm watching a performance rather than an actual human interacting with people.

(ps. sorry for my bad english, I'm not a native english speaker!)
Cafil
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

Just finished watching the video and me and Phil are both INFPs nice to know.

Also about the previous conversations, I'm not really optimistic but I'm also not really seeing the current as negatively as some people might. I guess I am just waiting for something that will tell me more than the same thing.