Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sonicgreen
woodland creature

@SunbeamsandStarlight ooh nice insight into the MBTI stuff. I'm an INFJ and based off of Phil's results we are very similarly aligned. neato

(also hi welcome to the main thread :lol:)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Nice twitter like from Dan!
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

I honestly don't think I would be as frustrated as I am about Dan and Phil's hiatus if they just communicated clearly from the beginning. It often reminds me of train delays: I used to get extremely stressed every time a train would stop in the tunnel because of delays, when the conductor would say "we're being delayed momentarily, thank you for your patience," it would only stress me out more and make me more upset. However, in the past couple of years I've noticed a shift in the way they announce these delays. Instead of making a vague statement, the conductors began to explain that there was, for example, an A train in the next station, and that the train would move once that train cleared. This sort of announcement actually calms me down. Because even if the delay will make me late, I know that no one can do anything about it and there is a concrete reason for the delay that I can understand. I have no person to be directly angry at, and I can understand the situation.

This may be a stretch, but it's exactly how I see it with Dan and Phil. If from the very beginning they had made a concrete and specific statement about what this hiatus would really be like, and why they were doing it, I would be sad, but I wouldn't feel angry or apathetic toward them and the phandom.

Imagine if they had said something, or released a statement that went something like this: "We have spent the last 9 years working on various projects, videos, and events. We have loved every minute of it. Now that we finished the Interactive Introverts tour, we are at a crossroads. We want to spend a good amount of time both relaxing, renewing our energy, and figuring out exactly what we want to do next. This content break will likely last at least a few months, and although we know that we want to continue making content at some point, we can't give an exact date for when we will come back. We will post a tweet, video or story here or there, but overall most videos, liveshows, and social media posts will be on hold. We hope you understand our need for an internet break. Thanks for understanding etc"
(I'm not saying any of this is the exact reasoning they have, just using it as an example.)

Yeah, it may have taken an extra half hour of thought, and a couple of weeks of sadness, anger, and some backlash, but at the day I think even at this point in the year people would not feel as angry or as bitter about this whole thing. Every Phil video would feel like a nice thing he did during his time off, as would every tweet from Dan. The concrete reason would be enough to keep many people satisfied and engaged with the phandom.

Unfortunately, they didn't do this. Instead of ripping of a bandaid, they've let this situation get out of hand by constantly sparking false hopes and preemptively painting an unrealistic idea of what the hiatus would actually be.

I don't personally think they owe their fans content, but I do think that they should provide us some form of straightforward communication. If they are done with Youtube altogether, or if they are actually working on new projects, or if they want to follow individual pursuits for now, that's all fine - but they really should just let us know. Because just like with my train situation, what's causing the most stress is that we just don't know what's happening.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Yeah, this exactly. From the start people have just wanted communication and it was about having an update, by then we were past having as much info as your example upfront (and it is a very good example of a good way to word it all) and I can only guess that just maybe they didn’t know all that themselves, but maybe they didn’t want to have to give us such news after all the fun of last year. Still, they did tell us the basics so they had to deal with some reaction, I wonder if we stress them out too much, or if that’s giving them too much slack. Oh, to just know for sure :roll:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Afunnyworld wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:50 am I honestly don't think I would be as frustrated as I am about Dan and Phil's hiatus if they just communicated clearly from the beginning. It often reminds me of train delays: I used to get extremely stressed every time a train would stop in the tunnel because of delays, when the conductor would say "we're being delayed momentarily, thank you for your patience," it would only stress me out more and make me more upset. However, in the past couple of years I've noticed a shift in the way they announce these delays. Instead of making a vague statement, the conductors began to explain that there was, for example, an A train in the next station, and that the train would move once that train cleared. This sort of announcement actually calms me down. Because even if the delay will make me late, I know that no one can do anything about it and there is a concrete reason for the delay that I can understand. I have no person to be directly angry at, and I can understand the situation.

This may be a stretch, but it's exactly how I see it with Dan and Phil. If from the very beginning they had made a concrete and specific statement about what this hiatus would really be like, and why they were doing it, I would be sad, but I wouldn't feel angry or apathetic toward them and the phandom.

Imagine if they had said something, or released a statement that went something like this: "We have spent the last 9 years working on various projects, videos, and events. We have loved every minute of it. Now that we finished the Interactive Introverts tour, we are at a crossroads. We want to spend a good amount of time both relaxing, renewing our energy, and figuring out exactly what we want to do next. This content break will likely last at least a few months, and although we know that we want to continue making content at some point, we can't give an exact date for when we will come back. We will post a tweet, video or story here or there, but overall most videos, liveshows, and social media posts will be on hold. We hope you understand our need for an internet break. Thanks for understanding etc"
(I'm not saying any of this is the exact reasoning they have, just using it as an example.)

Yeah, it may have taken an extra half hour of thought, and a couple of weeks of sadness, anger, and some backlash, but at the day I think even at this point in the year people would not feel as angry or as bitter about this whole thing. Every Phil video would feel like a nice thing he did during his time off, as would every tweet from Dan. The concrete reason would be enough to keep many people satisfied and engaged with the phandom.

Unfortunately, they didn't do this. Instead of ripping of a bandaid, they've let this situation get out of hand by constantly sparking false hopes and preemptively painting an unrealistic idea of what the hiatus would actually be.

I don't personally think they owe their fans content, but I do think that they should provide us some form of straightforward communication. If they are done with Youtube altogether, or if they are actually working on new projects, or if they want to follow individual pursuits for now, that's all fine - but they really should just let us know. Because just like with my train situation, what's causing the most stress is that we just don't know what's happening.
I relate to this on an atomic level.

This is EXACTLY what they should have done.
And tbh they could still do it if they know the hiatus is gonna last longer.
:gayaf:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Great post, Afunnyworld, and I agree.
I can't figure out if they knew from the start that this hiatus would be so long and they just... didn't want to tell us because they didn't want to face our reaction or if it was something they hadn't anticipated. If the second is the case, they should have updated us to let us know, because they left their audience last year with the promise that nothing would be changing anytime soon and that they wouldn't disappear. But they're not doing it, they just keep ending things - which makes the fandom panic - and keeping us at bay by saying things like "look forward to the future", "try new things" and Dan teasing a video (that never happens) every few months. That's frustrating because we don't know what that future entails, what those new things are, not even a hint, nothing. And the fact we keep having the same discussion after almost 6 months of hiatus is very telling.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
rikonee
drama llama

Afunnyworld wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:50 am I honestly don't think I would be as frustrated as I am about Dan and Phil's hiatus if they just communicated clearly from the beginning. It often reminds me of train delays: I used to get extremely stressed every time a train would stop in the tunnel because of delays, when the conductor would say "we're being delayed momentarily, thank you for your patience," it would only stress me out more and make me more upset. However, in the past couple of years I've noticed a shift in the way they announce these delays. Instead of making a vague statement, the conductors began to explain that there was, for example, an A train in the next station, and that the train would move once that train cleared. This sort of announcement actually calms me down. Because even if the delay will make me late, I know that no one can do anything about it and there is a concrete reason for the delay that I can understand. I have no person to be directly angry at, and I can understand the situation.

THIS.
Almost married PJ. we broke up tho
-Philip Michael Lester, 2008
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I wish this forum had a like feature because this post perfectly sums up the problem with the hiatus. Reading that sample statement you wrote (which was spot on, by the way) makes me wonder about the degree to which they take counsel from others. They have (or had) a manager, right? I can't imagine that person, if she's still around, has been silent about their business decisions this year. I don't work in this particular industry, but I would suspect that at least someone at some point has suggested to them that communicating their intentions might not be a bad idea. It makes me wonder if they have someone in their professional lives whose opinion they truly value (apart from each other's that is).
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
SunbeamsandStarlight
placenta

sonicgreen wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 12:33 am @SunbeamsandStarlight ooh nice insight into the MBTI stuff. I'm an INFJ and based off of Phil's results we are very similarly aligned. neato

(also hi welcome to the main thread :lol:)
Sorry if this is off-topic now, but thanks!! Glad to be here. :) Nice to meet another INFJ. I only know one other irl. You guys are super rare!! Hopefully I'll be around if anything interesting happens. :D I've been kinda DnP spacey since their hiatus, I guess.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Umm...so, I'm not very into dudes but the new phil instastory is doing things to my heart.
knq
lava lamp

plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Afunnyworld wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:50 am Imagine if they had said something, or released a statement that went something like this: "We have spent the last 9 years working on various projects, videos, and events. We have loved every minute of it. Now that we finished the Interactive Introverts tour, we are at a crossroads. We want to spend a good amount of time both relaxing, renewing our energy, and figuring out exactly what we want to do next. This content break will likely last at least a few months, and although we know that we want to continue making content at some point, we can't give an exact date for when we will come back. We will post a tweet, video or story here or there, but overall most videos, liveshows, and social media posts will be on hold. We hope you understand our need for an internet break. Thanks for understanding etc"
I just want to plus one all of this...I think Superwomanii did a much better job of explaining why she was taking a break - generally she's a lot better at communicating with her audience than D&P though - and it turns out she had a late night show in the works, which she obviously couldn't talk about AT ALL at the time - but she did a good job being like "I need a think for my mental health". People were angry, because people always be upset because they expect to squeeze content juice from creator stone at all times, but far more understanding.

Here's her video if you are curious (don't have to be a fan to understand it).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

knq wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:17 pm
I'm so disturbed. Beard edits have ruined me.

i wonder how many days growth that is? Because two days ago he did an ig story where he looked pretty damn cleanshaven. Though all that may really prove is that the picture from a few days ago was older.
SunbeamsandStarlight
placenta

Phil's insta-story almost made me choke. I'm not a beard girl, but it actually doesn't look bad at all?
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

me @ unshaven phil:

000dia000
emo goose

Thanks, Phil. Imagine if he did a video with that.
:cactus:
fancybum
senpai

I don’t really have an opinion on facial hair, but my opinion on Phil being a human being in public is YES AND THANK YOU PLEASE.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
liola
rankussy

I'm honestly ashamed by my reaction to that pic being choking on my own scream and locking myself in the bathroom. God what a gorgeous man why is he so attractive why am I so attracted to him why is Dan allowed to look at him everyday I WANT A REFUND
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

Oh I love the scruff! I also love that the selfie wasn't filtered to death- he has wrinkles and pores and looks beautifully human <3
Ablissa
pastel persona

Wait, what the f...rick, is this real??? Is it a beard edit or is this his real face???
I was always full on 100% against Phil with a beard but wow, what the hell. Dan's been seeing this for years and he never showed us???? What a DISGRACE. PHIL, YOU LOOK LIKE A WHOLE SNACK.
fancybum
senpai

Update: I’m now angry he went with black and white to hinder any ginger analysis.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
fairylights
crusty sponge

my first thought was i wish it was in color. or with glasses too?

but the beard actually looks pretty good
kavat
pastel persona

The name of this thread is even more appropriate right now :stan:
sonicgreen
woodland creature

i agree the beard edits have ruined me. my first reaction was very unsure. i think he pulls it off?
Mia
spork

I like the stumble and I'm going to be upset when he saves ngl. I think its not ginger as I think he was ginger as a kid and his hair turned brown and now dyes it