Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

A solo meet and greet would never fly, but it's telling that their panels are apart. Was it ever like that before? I'm so impatient to see Dan's new approach.
I'm both nervous and excited and I didn't expect any of this.
000dia000
emo goose

I'm sorry for being negative...but I really don't understand the appeal? Spend money to go see someone who hasn't uploaded in a year? That won't work well. A year wait on a grand reveal for something is normal for an artist or creator, not a poxy YouTube video by a person who went silent.
:cactus:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm excited for this. I really don't think that Vidcon is the culmination grand plan Dan (or both of them) have hatched. It's possible - and very likely, to me - that Dan being ready to film and come back and do appearances again is because Dan is ready and other things in their life aligned. I realize the resentment has built so much that people won't be able to erase their negative feelings based on one action or the promise of action, but I'm just really pleased that Dan's in a place where he's ready for seeing and interacting with fans and making videos again. I don't see anything bad in that and I hope that Dan making a video and some positive fan experiences help people start to heal.
Ablissa wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:40 pm A solo meet and greet would never fly, but it's telling that their panels are apart. Was it ever like that before? I'm so impatient to see Dan's new approach.
I'm both nervous and excited and I didn't expect any of this.
Yeah, they've definitely done solo panels before. Remember Dan's "Phil trash number one" - Phil definitely wasn't on that panel! And the one at SITC where Phil was lingering backstage and Dan talked about him and everyone went wild. I'd say it's pretty common that they do some things solo and some together at events like this. I've always gotten the impression that Phil is just less comfortable on panels overall, so him being scheduled for a meet and greet is a ot more 'Phil' - he likes engaging in that way with fans more than just being expected to talk and answer questions on a topic.
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

000dia000 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:44 pm I'm sorry for being negative...but I really don't understand the appeal? Spend money to go see someone who hasn't uploaded in a year? That won't work well. A year wait on a grand reveal for something is normal for an artist or creator, not a poxy YouTube video by a person who went silent.
I'm sure I'll feel this way by tomorrow morning. The only way I won't is if he uploads today. Which who even knows? Maybe that's his plan? One big overwhelming day and then silence for another year
scientia
phabergé

idk today’s news just makes me so tired of the lack of explicit communication about the status of “Dan and Phil”
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I noticed that the meet & greets were mostly alphabetical and then they just added Dan & Phil at the very top:

Do you think they got confirmed late or D&P asked them to keep it under wraps or Vidcon thought this one-month-out boost would help sales?
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

Vidcon isn't for me but it's nice to see so many people excited about it! I dont know if the joint meet and greet means the return of joint content or if it's just to keep people from freaking out but I'm glad that it's something they're doing together.
I personally have mixed feeling about Dan but I hope this experience is a positive one for him and for the phandom.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Catallena wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:47 pm It's gonna be a loooooong month huh?
Ok so maybe not that long if it starts like this.

WOW. Vidcon? I really did not expect that! Seems like Dan really is dropping some content soon then, because now he kinda has to.

Their schedules being so different though... Hm. Really taking the axe to that joint branding some more huh? Yeah they still do the meet & great together, but that almost seems more like it's just because it's easier to do it that way. The hiatus has made it very clear to me that I really do prefer them together. Makes me sad, I won't lie. But I'm happy for Dan that he's feeling good enough to come out of his cave and that he gets to talk about mental health. The AmazingPhil Q&A could be good, but possibly also kinda meh.

Many conflicted emotions rn.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
lionandllama
squish

I‘m kind of relieved to see that Dan is attending VidCon and has panels scheduled because that means he HAS to have a plan now on what to do with his career and it means he HAS to upload before July. Meaning we do actually get a video in June. At least that’s what I take away from that announcement.
And it makes me happy that, for once, there isn’t a ‘perhaps’ or a ‘maybe’ involved in Dan’s future plans. He’s definitely gonna be there, definitely gonna attend panels, talk about mental health etc.
Finally a silver lining.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

000dia000 wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:44 pm I'm sorry for being negative...but I really don't understand the appeal? Spend money to go see someone who hasn't uploaded in a year?
I mean I personally remember Dan uploading tons of videos on the gaming channel and Phil's channel and doing a stage show, movie premier, tons of ig stories, tweets, tumblr q&a, launching a merch campaign where all proceeds went to charity, etc. in this "year" he's supposedly been absent. His main channel has never been his main outlet and has always contained the least amount of content from him. A 6 month break from social media (which hasn't even been a total break, he's still been around) isn't enough to make people forget who he is and stop appreciating what he has done. I know a lot of people are upset at the lack of communication, and that's valid, but let's not exaggerate what's been going on.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Honestly? We’ve been given so many opportunities and reasons to be negative, but from my personal perspective... this ain’t one of ‘em, folks.

I’m so excited!!! Dan and Phil each announcing they’re going to VidCon? Doing a M&G together? Actually publicly stating things? We’re gonna get all those fun creeper shots of them hanging around a convention? YES. Yes yes yes sign me the FUCK UP!

They’ve put in a stupid amount of work in the last 10 years. And they Dan disappeared for 5/6 months. Okay, cool. That sucked. It still sucks. A lot. But hey, look! They’re finally coming out of their cave and I’m pumped about it.

I’ve been mad for months now and I just don’t want to start getting mad about the things we’ve actually been asking for. :shrug:
liola
rankussy

Yeah this is really the LAST thing to be negative about
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Huh, did not expect. I'm glad to see their tweets cos finding everything out backwards all year has really left me too fed up to be 100% happy for them even now. Maybe that'll change when they really talk to us, if they do. Or the feeling will pass, whatever, yay getting over the irritation all the time.

Dan's photo looks stunning and interesting that he's on the show alone. I hope they're all recorded or streamed, I remember last time they didn't stream the stage show, but they tend to record a lot of the panels :shrug:

There are a few other people at the top of the Meet and Greet list who are out of alphabetical order, maybe they're all new if not just bigger names eg Jacksepticeye, TryGuys, Buzzfeed and Smosh are all big.
Last edited by flarequake on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
autumnhearth
senpai

Catallena wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:00 pm
Catallena wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:47 pm It's gonna be a loooooong month huh?
Ok so maybe not that long if it starts like this.

WOW. Vidcon? I really did not expect that! Seems like Dan really is dropping some content soon then, because now he kinda has to.

Their schedules being so different though... Hm. Really taking the axe to that joint branding some more huh? Yeah they still do the meet & great together, but that almost seems more like it's just because it's easier to do it that way. The hiatus has made it very clear to me that I really do prefer them together. Makes me sad, I won't lie. But I'm happy for Dan that he's feeling good enough to come out of his cave and that he gets to talk about mental health. The AmazingPhil Q&A could be good, but possibly also kinda meh.

Many conflicted emotions rn.
Why on earth would they ever do a M&G separately? They have the same fans and those fans want to see them together. I’m glad they are doing different panels though. I was only online when I saw the Phil announcement, so I had just come to accept that. Then I saw the M&G news and I was like oh, maybe Dan will just attend some workshops/professional speakers. And then just on here I saw Dan was a featured creator, so I’m all a jumble. This is good though, very good.

Also is it possible Phil just meant 6 days instead of weeks with his new ‘pet’?
Ablissa wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:26 pm Image
Bringing this over here because it’s pretty.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knq
lava lamp

Oh my gosh I hope we get to see them in the background of other creators vlogs. :sunshine: That's the best, man.

It certainly seems like a recent/last minute change for Vidcon, as it says on the Meet and Greet page:
"THE 2019 VIDCON MEET & GREET LOTTERY HAS BEEN EXTENDED!
This just in: Dan & Phil will be hosting a meet & greet at VidCon US!"

There's also a hashtag on Phil's page to tweet questions for the Q&A to the moderator. So many things all at once! Who will care for Tony?! Or is Tony's lifespan supposed to extend into July? I have questions.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It’s exciting that they are alive and that Dan is talking to us again but emotions are a funny thing so again I know people mean well when they say “this isn’t something to be upset about” and maybe it’s not but to clarify for my post: i’m not upset at Dan and Phil but I am disappointed in their behavior and so all of the goodwill that they lost this year isn’t going to be made up right away. If Dan sticks around and if they both show that they’re interested in more than just my wallet then maybe I’ll come around and feel a little more fondly towards them again but until then I will feel what I feel and I know it’s not always fun for the board to read the negative opinions but here we are
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I too am quite surprised that they're attending VidCon this year. I was sure they'd finished with conventions (and content, if I'm being honest). I'm glad they're going because, like someone said above, it means we'll have guaranteed content at least once this year. Sadly, that is an improvement over how things have been progressing thus far in 2019.

It makes sense that Dan's doing the Mental Health panel solo (as others have said, they've done panels by themselves before), but I do find it a bit odd that they're not doing the variety show together. That event seems like it'd be right up their street. Maybe Dan'll bring Phil out as a surprise halfway through; I suppose time will tell.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Amiaw wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:40 pm It’s exciting that they are alive and that Dan is talking to us again but emotions are a funny thing so again I know people mean well when they say “this isn’t something to be upset about” and maybe it’s not but to clarify for my post: i’m not upset at Dan and Phil but I am disappointed in their behavior and so all of the goodwill that they lost this year isn’t going to be made up right away. If Dan sticks around and if they both show that they’re interested in more than just my wallet then maybe I’ll come around and feel a little more fondly towards them again but until then I will feel what I feel and I know it’s not always fun for the board to read the negative opinions but here we are
I think that's a valid response. Their behavior towards their fans this year has been awful and that shouldn't be wiped away because they've announced they're going to a convention next month. Now, if we start getting proper communication and some joint content going forward, then I think they'll be able to start building back that trust from their audience (which I would argue has been lost these past 6 months).
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Safiya has already liked Phil's tweet and Elle Mills posted this on her ig story:
I love other youtubers being just as excited as us for Dan and Phil.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:00 pm Safiya has already liked Phil's tweet
VidCon is in LA! Oh my word! Why wasn't my first thought that they'll finally be able to collab with Safiya and Tyler? No excuses this time around; they've got to do a video together. I demand it!
000dia000
emo goose

Yeah, my initial post an hour or so ago was kind of negative, but that was just my initial reaction and I was minding small children at the time, my mood wasn't all there lol.

I don't 100 percent agree with how this has been announced on Twitter, and no matter what kind of manner Dan proceeds in the next coming weeks, good or bad, it won't really negate my misgivings that have been amounting for some time. However, regardless of that I really wish him the best moving forward and am glad that both of them are making public appearances and taking proactive measures of maintaining their creator-audience relationship that has been strained for some time. This is a good comeback, if a long time coming, I just hope they can build and keep momentum.

If Dan does return with videos...I really hope his entire schtick won't be like how he disappeared/became a hermit/cave troll and that would be his entire content from then on. let's be honest probably half the video would be a visual representation of his hiatus as some decrepit creature hiding beneath layers of duvets with Phil in smexy glasses trying to lure him out. Dan is probably taking notes reading this
:cactus:
blueapple_x
flower crown

I'm mostly confused and apprehensive about this turn of events on top of everything that has been going on/everything that has not been going on. I want to see if this means they'll be interacting more with their audience--not only before but after vidcon as well.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

scientia wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:50 pm idk today’s news just makes me so tired of the lack of explicit communication about the status of “Dan and Phil”
Me right now.... I'm at a family dinner and i can't process this, also I definitely can't go to vidcon and also WHAT IS GOING ON???

I hate when something happens behind my back, I know it's not fair to feel this about them because it's their life but...

Negativity ahead!!!
but as a consumer of their content this just makes me feel anxious and i don't know how to process all this. I hate when they drop things on us.
I think i'm just gonna repeat to myself that it will have new content and that everything will be fine.
:gayaf:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I really, really hope that this drop today means there's a coordinated plan for communication about Dan's future and Joint Content. I think DAPG is a bit too much to hope for but like... please Dan have a BIG Video that says things.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

that dan picture asjdkfljaljf. this seems Encouraging to me. i'm remaining checked out of phandom until they start being communicative and uploading regularly again, but for the first time i think that might actually happen soon? dan's tweet last week did not instill confidence in me, but this kinda does. (y'all wait til they prove me wrong in a spectacular manner).

and yes i know phil's been holding down the fort and even though i've always liked his vids, honestly i've stopped watching them, because it they just remind me of The Absence of Dan.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.