Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Loafer
sofa crease

Oh gosh. :happytears:

Perfect dan. Funny, eloquent, heartfelt. Gosh.

It was almost jarring hearing him talk more openly about things that he had previously only hinted at or we had only read between the lines, not just sexuality but his feelings towards his fans and his family.

And kudos to Phil as well! It seems he got the low key coming out he wanted. :rainbow: :sunshine:

I think that if dan was single or if he and phil weren’t together he would have outright said it, instead of deliberately calling his relationship with Phil romantic. I think he was alluding to the vday video when he talked about 2011-2012 feelings and fan speculation about what he and Phil had, and it was only past tense because he was talking about what happened in the past. I think he knew Phil would come out shortly after so it was ok to mention their relationship, but not highlight anything about it because a) privacy and b) it’s equally Phil’s business and not right for dan to talk about in his video.

Frankly, that was more than I ever would have asked for from him and if he and Phil never interact again online I won’t complain, if that’s how they choose to live their life. I just want them to be happy, dang it!

I’m am way more emotion than thought I hope this post isn’t too much of a jumbled mess.
Puffy
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her

I’m so happy for him. I’ve cried and cried and cried today since I saw the video title and I’m still crying. It must’ve taken so much strength to make that video, to tell that story. To be himself, unapologetically, finally. I feel like I’ve just witnessed a major event. Not to mention the fact the video is objectively one of the finest crafted pieces of YouTube content I’ve possibly ever seen.

I’m so happy he used the word queer. I started using it for myself a couple of years ago too and would always shy away from saying it to people or online, mostly cause a few people said some unkind things about my definition of it. I’m so glad someone with his platform is normalising the use of queer. I never thought at 25 I would need to hear something like that, but I did so much and I’m so thankful for it. A lot of what he said in the video resonated with me on such a deep level – not out to my family, had a family member casually make derogatory remarks, bullying in school etc. I feel so seen and I hope he feels seen and heard today. :happytears:
det395
tol bean
Pronouns: she/her/hers

I have so many thoughts without the emotional energy left to type them! both so excited for him and solemn for the things he's been through. i'm glad that he can live his truth and i'm excited for the future.
alien
procrastinator

what fucks me up about dan howell is that he endured so much traumatic abuse his entire adolescence coming from all sorts of people and yet still somehow had strength to not give up and reach out to someone he was interested in.

it's not like phil found and pursued dan but it was dan who sought out phil and because of that courage to put himself out there he found someone who liked him and supported him and became his best friend, companion through life, and soulmate. like that is so powerful.
tipofmemory
dank meme
Pronouns: she/they

For some reason, it feels fitting that my first post on this forum is about this video.

Though, tbh, I don't know what I could say that someone hasn't already said. All I know is that I need to talk about this.

I've been thinking about this video non-stop since I watched it, and been trying not to cry as I'm in public, but.

Dan's video has impacted me in a way that not really any other video has. I remember when Daniel and Depression came out, and though I was hugely impacted by that video as well, it doesn't come close to how I felt after watching this one. As a lil mentally ill gay, this resonates in a way I can't put into words. My heart is so full with emotion right now; a mixture of pride, happiness and empathy.

I'm so grateful to Dan, for having the courage to share this story, in the hopes of helping someone who's struggling with themselves, and that he had the courage to do it for himself. <3 <3 :prideheart:
Possum
squish

(First time poster, long time lurker here!)

Dan :love1: :love1: :love1:

I'm so proud of his bravery in posting this, and I really hope he's feeling all of the love and support from everyone now that he didn't get as a teen. I felt so much after watching it, and I just really want to give him a big hug for all he had to go through.

I was super surprised that he hadn't come out to his family until very recently?? I always kinda figured he (and Phil) were out to all of their close friends and family and just wanted to keep things ambiguous on the internet for privacy reasons. I agree with someone a few posts back, that it must have been a lot for him to deal with internet speculations with him not being out to his family. :( But I'm happy he's at the point now where he's comfortable sharing this with people.

Also, Hector's drawings!!

I could keep going on, but basically, I thought it was a well-made video and I've been thinking about it ever since I've watched it. I myself just started coming out to my friends and family just a few months ago, after having kept it to myself for a decade, to the detriment of my mental health. I've felt a lot happier and calmer since I started telling people, and I really hope Dan feels that too, especially after seeing people's responses. :love1:
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

I found myself smiling and tearing up while watching this video on my TV. To be this open and honest is admirable. To do so SO publicly is brave.

I feel badly that Dan suffered so much in his journey for acceptance. I feel worse that his audience made it difficult at times.

I'm very proud of both he and Phil for their increasing openness and honesty.

I actually turned Twitter notifications off for Phil recently because I'm trying to curate my interests a bit more. I hadn't turned Dan off yet because he doesn't tweet very often. Pretty glad I didn't.

:prideheart:
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
vacule
squish

i actually saw dan's video from hector retweeting it because i don't follow d&p on twitter anymore and i am so so so so happy that dan trusted hector to make all the art for his video because it's gorgeous and adorable and just adds such a lovely touch to the entire video.

it's such a masterpiece and i'm so proud of dan for making it and i hope he's proud of himself! it's absolutely beautiful, it's well-written, it is truly his magnum opus and i am so blown away by how hard he's worked, how far he's come, and how soft he is despite all the hardship he's been through.

and props to phil for very cleverly preemptively addressing the inevitable 'when is phil going to come out' questions by lowkey coming out but not taking dan's thunder at all. what a supportive bf/soulmate/life companion.

oh man. what a day!!
:prideheart:
i also identify as queer and i couldn't be more honoured to share the label with dan. i went through a period of self-oppression very very similar to dan's and have recently just become more comfortable with my sexuality and have started dating the most amazing person i have ever met and all of this just hits so close to home right now. i feel all fuzzy inside. :japhan: :sunshine:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

:happytears: :happytears: :happytears:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I talked about this a bit on twitter but I wanted to say it in a bit more depth (lol) here. I'm not over the closure this has brought. For Dan, mostly of course, but also for us, and Phil too in a sense. I won't stop saying how selfless and brave it was of Dan to share his story, and I won't stop going on about how proud I am of him, but after being thrust into unexpected fame with no guidance, having your private life exposed with a glitch, having people push your boundaries endlessly, and not understanding how to deal with any of it besides lashing out and internalizing, I can't get over how much closure something like this must have in his recovery journey. I've seen many people say that ii being so explicitly queer in both the audience and the show itself must have been really eye opening (as we've heard both of them say!), and comforting for Dan to see what impact he's had. I think that's part of why he was so truly prod of the show, and never dismissed it like he's done with everything in the past. And he's clearly reached a point where he feels ready to share, and help others from it, again, the closure in this after everything we've seen build up to this moment in the last year must be a weight off his shoulders.

That's not to say coming out is easy, and that everything is going to be completely fine for him. That's unrealistic, but like he said about this opening a new chapter in his life--and selflessly thinking of how he can help others--there's so much being closed as this new chapter opens. And again, I'm so fucking proud.

Phil, being Phil, is the master of subtly doing things, and he really did just that with his tweet. Very Phil, and I think very much something that came with his revamp earlier this year, and the walk into this new era. I am also very proud of him and will not stop talking about that either lol. Another thing I love about this is that Dan didn't out Phil or anything. He spoke from his heart about them, and after that Phil tweeted. They, like pretty much everything, went at this together. Not completely, Dan's story is still his and Phil's tweet is still his, but they still worked together and I just adore that. It means a lot, to see relationships like that, queer and romantic or best friends. It means a whole lot.

And for us, especially the people who were around in the early days, there's some closure for how Dan acted because he was scared and hurting. I also think it validates a lot of people's feelings in the community, about being queer and the openness of this fandom in that sense. I'm excited to see what the rest of the year brings. I'm proud of Dan. I'm proud of Phil too. And I'm proud of everyone who came out today because of Dan, and the people who are still waiting to, or are choosing not to :prideheart:
sonicgreen
woodland creature

(pssst im so proud of all the first-time-posters and people sharing their relatability to dans video. i love y'all too, happy pride :rainbow: :love2:)
Phantasy
woodland creature

Re-reading formspring answers (for the millionth time), but with actual confirmed context is an emotional journey...
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I am so incredibly proud of Dan and just love him so much right now. The video was just perfect. His grandma and her reply was mega cute.

It’s so nice to have him back but also to have people back here on the forum. Seeing so many people post for the first time in ages and people posting for the first time made me feel all emotional. I love this part of the phandom we have here, let’s hope it continues for a long time ❤️
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I just realized that *was* the Internet Support Group video we kept joking about...it just was the one we really didn't deserve but really it was the best one he's ever done.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I love seeing so many of Dan's peers (and some of his idols!) showing support for him. Excuse me for being the most excited about Nathan (few posts up) and John (also Phil's first subscriber for anyone who doesn't know :)):
boredtears
squish

*crawls out of cave* hey dudes

not to rehash everyone else but i'm so happy for dan, that he is in the place right now where he can lay it all out there and express pride in being queer and in having come a long way/endured a lot of abuse to get to this point.

the part where he talks about cw//su*cide etc really hit home to me as someone who was in a very similar place three years ago and was never able to talk about it to anyone. i hope people who aren't lgbt who watch this video will better understand/empathise with lgbt people and what we have gone through and internalised over our lives. we have a long way to go but it is things like this, the sharing of our stories in an honest and unflinching way, that will help us all to get to better places and to treat each other better. love to you all :love2:
alien wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:19 am what fucks me up about dan howell is that he endured so much traumatic abuse his entire adolescence coming from all sorts of people and yet still somehow had strength to not give up and reach out to someone he was interested in.

it's not like phil found and pursued dan but it was dan who sought out phil and because of that courage to put himself out there he found someone who liked him and supported him and became his best friend, companion through life, and soulmate. like that is so powerful.
this!! dan really has this strong courageous streak that i really admire and look up to. the level of abuse he endured is really really awful and shocking and it is a credit to him that he has worked to process all of that, all the while advocating for kindness, acceptance and anti-bullying behaviour. love and respect to you always, dan.
palomeheart
dank meme

I'm just feeling really thankful right now, for Dan and this video and this better place he's in now (that clearly took so much work, dedication, and therapy on his part– my partner who's a therapist kept pausing the video to point out particularly therapist-y talk) and that he and Phil found each other and have supported each other so much over the years. And also for the community that formed around them. I've always seen coming out as an obligation, first because I'd been told that if I didn't I was being dishonest with my friends and family and was hurting them and myself. Then because I got really into Harvey Milk in high school and learned it as an obligation to the queer community to help change straight minds. In some ways that made it feel better, because at least it felt productive. When I realized I wasn't cis it got a little more complicated because I had absolutely no interest in coming out as nonbinary in most settings, and still mostly don't. I felt a lot of guilt about not doing my part to showcase and normalize happy and transparent queerness, but it was something that just didn't feel relevant to other people. I'd heard that a lot over the years from people who didn't want to come out, but had never really understood it. It was getting involved in the phandom and seeing people talk about coming out not being necessary or always desirable and appreciating Dan and Phil for acknowledging their sexualities without formally coming out that really made me start reevaluating my ideas about coming out. Those conversations allowed me to understand new perspectives and be a little more forgiving of myself and others, and I'm really thankful for that too.

I just have a lot of emotions really. Dan's been through so much, and I'm so grateful that he shared it with us, and took his time to do so in a way that felt good to him. For whatever reason, it's Phil's tweets that keep getting me to almost cry (I'm not a crier so that's basically sobbing for me). I just love both of them a lot, what they've found in each other, and the lovely, queer community that's built itself around them. So shout out to y'all too. :prideheart:
JLynne wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:24 pm Also...I don't know why my ears perked up at this, but he referred to Phil with the pronoun "them" at one point. I don't know if that was just a slip of the tongue, or if that's a pronoun Phil prefers... Idk, just caught my attention in a video full of attention-grabbing things.
Also, this stuck out to me too, ngl. I've been vaguely intrigued by Phil's relationship to gender neutral pronouns after he suddenly (at least it seemed so to me) started using gender neutral pronouns for anyone whose gender identity he didn't know for sure. He did it so consistently and so effortlessly that I kinda thought there must be a reason. Initially I thought maybe he knew someone who's nonbinary or uses they/them pronouns, but who knows. Most likely it's a flub or just weird phrasing, but it did catch my attention. But I'm biased. ;)
it's a useful thing
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator

Not that it really matters because what Dan did is amazing regardless, but the video is #1 on trending.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

There are some great replies to his video!

Saw this one and it made me laugh a little, such old branding
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

obscureDnPreference wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:11 am Not that it really matters because what Dan did is amazing regardless, but the video is #1 on trending.
I'm about to get on a plane to go to a meeting at google tomorrow I wonder if I can like, umm, give someone a hug for the trending page (because I know that isn't all algorithm when it comes to videos with ads off.)
vacule
squish

Phantasy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:57 am Re-reading formspring answers (for the millionth time), but with actual confirmed context is an emotional journey...
oh my god :happytears: :happytears: :happytears: :happytears: :happytears:
taco baco
dank meme

Phantasy wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:57 am Re-reading formspring answers (for the millionth time), but with actual confirmed context is an emotional journey...
The 'maybe what phil's done for me' one made me emotional EVERY time and now it hits so different I'm... :happytears:
oi he's mine
kalli
butt chair

Hopefully everyone is staying hydrated to recuperate after all our crying!!! lmao

Dan has been such an inspiration to me and holds a special place in my heart. It hurts to hear him talk about his suffering, but I also feel so warm and fuzzy knowing that he's found freedom and happiness. What an emotional rollercoaster.

This video is a true work of art and is going to have a positive impact on so many people. Telling both his family and his massive audience within the span of month after all this time must have been so stressful but also such a weight off his shoulders. I'm sososo proud of him and excited to see what the future holds :prideheart:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

My mind keeps being all over the place so I wanna summarize some thoughts this video has given me in no particular order:
  • I keep thinking back to old moments that are so much more meaningful (both negatively and positively). Like the 2022 moment and how hurt they looked and how that was real.
  • After the bit about Phil at ~22:57 Dan spends a strong 5 minutes explaining why he doesn't want that relationship/his sex life, etc to be a topic of conversation. Like that shit means something to him. What he and Phil have is so important and so theirs and like... UGH, I'm a wreck.
  • Nothing's holding them back from just... existing as they are now without excuses. It's beautiful. It's wonderful. I love the future, it's so bright. Drop us an insta on a day out and it's NBD. I'm EMOTIONAL..
  • Those baby pictures of Dan are so cute!!!!
  • I feel as though Interactive Introverts was an almost daily little celebration of pride. The flags and love and support at those shows was incredible... so I keep wondering how it must have felt for Dan to have his family at one of those shows.
  • I wonder about the above point in a number of ways... how did Dan and Phil's fams interact? etc and so forth
  • Is Dan gonna make all black his background from now on? Is that it? Black and White for Dan and Phil? IDK my feelings. They're still Good though.
  • He said he's 27 in the video... makes me wonder when he planned on posting. Don't actually care, June 13th is a good day.
  • I keep thinking about Dan waking up tomorrow to his new reality. And how good that will all feel. How good it must feel to see this response.
  • Phil's tweet is miraculously Phil. I really look forward to his next video. He'll... acknowledge this at least briefly, right?
  • They can talk about the home they bought without issue now and I'll be over here sobbing thanks.
  • The parts about Dan's bullying really make me ache. I want so badly for the world to never, ever have people like that again.
There are more feels in me, but my roommate just came home and I have to scream about this at her.
rikonee
drama llama

A truly beautiful video. Very well made too. I am very happy for Dan right now.

The part about people saying “we been knew” hit me especially hard. I didn’t realize how much until now those words’ impact on a person, because we see people saying it every day. And the part that said what Phil and he has is theirs and personal.

Not just that, he says a lot of things that open my eyes. Like the becoming people’s sexual fantasies, not really liking labels, feeling not definitive enough, etc. His best video to date.

Happy Pride, everybody. :prideheart:

Edit: fixing a typo
Almost married PJ. we broke up tho
-Philip Michael Lester, 2008