Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
intoapuddle
spork

I don't think Phil is really suffering that much from being the one out of him and Dan that is active online. I don't think he feels like it's all falling on him to handle. I think that they are handling it as a team, but that it's all just coming from Phil's accounts. They live together, so they are communicating with each other constantly. I don't think Dan wants to put Phil in a position he is uncomfortable in. Dan is taking a hiatus from us, not from Phil, so.
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

The first round of today's watch fest begins in 30 minutes! Our room is already up and we're watching some random videos during the pre-show.
Our actual watch fest will involve fan favorites - we've got over 50 videos to choose from <3
The next shows will be at 7 PM UTC and 10 PM UTC!

Join us here: https://www.rabb.it/s/n25ehx
realeyesrealize
living flop

Well, long time no see, IDB. I've been reading every post religiously as always, but I've refrained from posting publicly about this whole thing because I just felt like there was enough negativity going around and there was no need for more (although I've talked plenty about it in more private spaces.) But I'm feeling some typa way today and figured, why not?

I'm one of those people that was here for them, as a duo. I kept up with their individual videos, but they were never my main source of enjoyment and engagement. Phil's individual content, in particular, was my least favourite. I found it too superficial and over-acted and, while I absolutely recognise that that was what mainly drew people to it- its light-heartedness and joyful vibe- it just didn't work for me. Now, along came DAPG and, especially during the last few years, I felt like I was beginning to finally see Phil, instead of AmazingPhil, and I loved it! I was here for it.

Now, it just seems for me like we're back at square one in terms of personal development on camera. I feel like I'm back to seeing this character being portrayed, always talking about the same things (i.e. animals), always being almost a shell of a person. I feel like I was given a chance to see the (more) real thing and now it's been taken away. I still watch his videos as they are posted if I'm in need of a distraction, but I find myself skipping most parts while keeping the same straight face on. I'm sticking around in hopes that joint content will make a(n unlikely) miraculous return, but I have around 0.5% of faith left.

As for everything else, I'm as confused as everyone else. Ultimately, if they come back I will probably consume the content they produce. If not, it's been an amazing 6 years and I've made a wonderful group of friends that I hold very dear to my heart, and that's my main takeaway.

(Sorry for the negativity. And I also want to make sure to emphasise that this is just my personal opinion and my personal tastes. I, in no way, want to belittle anyone who finds Phil's content enjoyable or find themselves drawn to it.)

I hope everyone has an amazing day :japhan: :rainbow: :sunshine: :prideheart:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

This gave me a laugh, apparently Phil got lucky with the Pokemon cards
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I don’t mean to be so positive this early in the morning so sorry In advance for this post. (Opinions incoming)

I haven’t watched Phil’s new video yet and that’s sad because I always used to watch right away but for me it’s not about the lack of content or dnp joint branding being dead although I was plenty upset about that at first but now it’s about how I view them as people.

I’ve always loved Phil and his content for being so happy but with all of the spon in every video and the communication only when he wants to set us up for a sale or a letdown I find that I don’t know if I really like Phil anymore. He could turn that around if he starts caring about his videos again so I really hope he does.

And Dan....he likes tweets that could be passive aggresive, ghosts the phandom, only pops up when he has to irl and doesn’t carry his share of the weight of any announcements that are about him and his business. I have been empathetic but I honestly don’t know what’s going on with Dan and since he’s cut us out of as much of his life as possible I don’t think that the burden should be on me to be patient or understanding. If/when dan comes back I wish him well but I’ve unsubbed from his channel and wont be watching when he comes back unless he learns how to respect his audience.

This is only my opinion and how I feel and i’d Love for them to turn it around and give me something that could be viewed as positive but as it is I guess I’m glad I have the memories of my fun times here. I just hope we get an idea of new things soon or they just make a definitive statement about where things stand so they don’t taint the good times.
teamug
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I really really liked this last vid from phil. Best so far this year. The 'scriptedness' wasn't apparent in every. single. thing. he said. It was light and funny and relaxed. No 'forced' smiling or overly eager jokes to be seen/heard. I was so cheery at the end. Yay !
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

flarequake wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:21 pm This gave me a laugh, apparently Phil got lucky with the Pokemon cards
I meant to look up that card because it really did look like a super rare, but I forgot. I didn't imagine it was THAT rare tho, damn.

Lucky Phil :lol:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
knq
lava lamp

intoapuddle wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 9:18 am Dan is taking a hiatus from us, not from Phil
:happytears: It's true and you should say it. It's easy to forget that they're just out there living their life together when we don't get to see it as much.
flarequake wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:21 pm This gave me a laugh, apparently Phil got lucky with the Pokemon cards
Excuse them, he also complimented it on its pastel vibe.

That's quite funny. I love it when separate corners of the internet overlap and people who don't know dnp for their content come across them for one reason or another. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often really.

Also I don't know how Pokemon randomize their rare cards to packs, but I doubt it was a coincidence that Phil got a rare card when he was going advertising Pokemon on his channel. The siren call of that shiny card is one reason people buy Pokemon cards. What kind of spon would it be if Phil didn't get one?
starwatersong
phabergé

knq wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:00 pm
That's quite funny. I love it when separate corners of the internet overlap and people who don't know dnp for their content come across them for one reason or another. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often really.
I love it, too! I also love when someone who doesn’t know D&P uses one of their gifs to react to something. I always have a moment of shocked pride (shocked because my streams are crossing; pride because they were clearly so expressive in that gif they they got chosen despite the person not knowing who they are).

Also, re:the Pokémon cards: I don’t play Pokémon, but I’ve played Magic for about twenty years. If they put the same or similar super rare cards in properly sealed packs on purpose for multiple spons, the players would riot in the streets. It’s possible Phil just got lucky.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Ooh, good point, knq , hadn’t thought of it like that. Makes him an extra-lucky pup too. Seeing more threads on twitter, and a little on tumblr, about wanting an update on things. There were a few polite tweets to him last night and a few less sweet, but not many really since it was in reply to his reply about the 7-second challenge app. I wonder how much they see of what we’re all talking about when we’re not in their mentions, heck, we can refer to them without their names and know who we’re talking about.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

He's alive.
:gayaf:
Mia
spork

I'm loving Dan's tweet and replies :happytears: I studied politics at university and am quite passionate about it. Just gives me such warm feelings to see him talk about it.

I'm slightly more interested in knowing what Corbyn messaged him than any other mystery in the phandom :lol:
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Ataraxia25 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:25 pm He's alive.
He's rediscovered his twitter password! Now if he could only find that pesky YouTube one
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oh, Dan. I hope you know what you're doing saying that.
knq
lava lamp

me: I miss dan ._.

dan: h--

me: no nO NO NO NO NONONO
Ablissa
pastel persona

So is Dan trolling us again by bringing back the June video or is he being serious? Place your bets.
intoapuddle
spork

Preparing for the storm approaching rn lmao
fancybum
senpai

Welp time to be stressed for an entire month sighhh. Saying a factual thing isn’t the same as intentionally building hype but whyyy say anything resembling a deadline. Just Beyoncé it like it’s no big deal or idk do a liveshow and slip it in there (/desperatewishfulthinking but also maybe he’ll have to bring back liveshows if he starts posting again and his vids have the same effect they always do ie. shitshow to manage afterward lol?)
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
liola
rankussy

Oh Dan lmao I hope you know what you're doing bb
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
knq
lava lamp

If either of them drops new merch now that Dan's tweeted I will cry laugh.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Ablissa wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:39 pm So is Dan trolling us again by bringing back the June video or is he being serious? Place your bets.
My first reaction is that it’s a joke. I don’t think anyone could be that unself aware
firsttimeposter
living flop

I don’t think dan is joking. But I’m also not saying he’ll upload in June, he definitely said “perhaps” and honestly... that’s fine. In December he said “hey my channel isn’t dead either! I’m coming back!”. In a newsletter, he said “oh and maybe I’ll make a new video”. This is another reminder that he hasn’t totally given up on content, and that’s good enough for me. But i miiiiss him!

Not to start that train a little too early, but I have been wondering what kind of content he might come out with... because I keep expecting him to have changed super much after long pauses, but after almost every pause, he tells the same joke about plants or dying or foreheads or whatever. I just can’t see him making a video which reminds us of too much of his 2016-2017 humor (though I love those videos,he might want to distance himself). Idk. I’m so curious and excited though!
Phantasy
woodland creature

Of course he has to tack on “perhaps”... after more than a year without solo vids and 6 months without any content he has to add a qualifier. That perhaps just guaranteed a vid won’t come out until the very end of June (or never at all).
kavat
pastel persona

Oh dear, he gave himself a deadline. That never works out well.

The last video actually uploaded to dinof (the ii trailer) was uploaded june 22, so perhaps he wants to be able to say that he was gone a full year. But I have zero faith in him actually coming back with any regular uploads.
000dia000
emo goose

I've watched Phil's vid and it was a classic AmazingPhil video. I enjoyed it for the most part. All I can say is his BTS bias is some self-cest shit. However, I still emphasize to this day how I wish he doesn't make kid friendly stuff, please for the love of God, he was doing so well for so long but has regressed so much and undid all the work he did with audience easing into a more relaxed persona. Otherwise, from reading people's posts here I can understand why people are ambivalent towards the video considering the phandom is starving.

Now. I'm about to drop a lot of salt. I just want to say, I'm really sick of this saviour complex people have about Dan. He's gone. Get over it. He isn't Jesus. Him coming back with videos won't save anything. He's fucking you around and the tweet of possibly making a video in June is BS. Before this "hiatus" his content has been disappointing and lacking and people even then always wanted more from him. Anyways, it's been interesting to see people throw Phil under the bus for everything and showing their true colours. <3
:cactus: