Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

This would have been a nice thing for Dan to retweet, rather than just like :/ Like yeah I still got a notification but... likes as content is pretty sad. I don’t want to be critical, I know he’s going through a period of private growth, but I wish he would use his platform For things like this. :shrug:
dancy
procrastinator

CapriciousCrab wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 7:52 pm
Catallena wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:34 pm It'd be nice if the phandom's supposed interest in D&P's future as solo creators wouldn't just be endlessly speculating about Dan. Phil needs some of that energy considering he's the one actually doing stuff atm, yet the views on his last video are majorly tanking. Still only at 380k. Even if one thinks Phil's content isn't very interesting right now, surely it is more interesting than literally no content? Is it because Phil isn't the one going on BBC Writer's retreats? Like somehow YouTube isn't enough anymore? Interesting bias, as always. :shrug:
+1

I think some people are upset that Phil's content hasn't changed but I'm not sure what people were expecting to see. :shrug:
Phil isn't the oversharing type of youtuber. I highly doubt we will ever get in-depth videos about his mental health/sexuality/personal life because that isn't his way and the people expecting him to film 'share then regret' type of vidoes are bound to be disappointed.

You know, there were a lot of calls for Phil to adopt a Jenna Marbles 'give no fucks' attitude and to just film what he wants. And it seems like he has, all while still trying to involve his viewers. But the difference between Jenna and Phil is that Jenna's viewers watch her videos for her while half the phandom is just waiting for the return of Dan.
Thing is, I don't dislike the AmazingPhil channel by any means and I don't expect him to suddenly start making deep videos (nor do I really want those from him) but on their own, I usually don't find Phil's videos to be very strong.

D&P had developed this nice world of theirs with different types of content: solo Phil videos, solo Dan videos, gaming and otherwise joint videos, live shows (again both solo and joint ones), side jobs/projects (tour, radio show etc.), social media on multiple platforms etc. All these different things that worked well together for years and kept the audience entertained. For the past 4.5 months, it's been only solo Phil videos and social media activity (which has also gone down, especially on Dan's part but Phil's too). And without all the other stuff, whatever is left just feels like it's missing something. Phil's videos don't make up for the banter in joint videos, for the different style and humor that Dan's videos have, for the more intimate chats and anecdotes during live shows, for the structure and fun and the "what's going to happen today" type of excitement that I experienced during the tour, the domestic and low-key moments they'd share with us using Instagram Stories and so on. And there really is no way for just Phil to make up for all that stuff and I don't expect him to either. However, the lack of other content (which in most cases does involve Dan) is just not doing him any favours imo. I'm sure I'd feel the same way if it were Dan being the only one to make videos rather than Phil.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I really thought Dan would be the first one to acknowledge the gay Arthur storyline, but nope, Phil beat him by liking this on twitter:
knq
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 1:18 am I really thought Dan would be the first one to acknowledge the gay Arthur storyline, but nope, Phil beat him by liking this on twitter:
Aw, that’s sweet. I wonder if dan and Phil are the type of people to nostalgia watch kids shows.

Also. Arthur is still running???
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

lilabet wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 7:27 pm Hi guys
It’s almost time for dans birthday and I’m going to start promoting the drive soon. However I’m low on time/energy at the moment for health reasons and was hoping someone else could take the lead this time. Maybe people could take a social media account each if need be?
I DM’d you, in case you miss it! :)

I really hope Phil gets home by the end of this week - there’s just something really sad about the idea of them not watching the last ever episode of game of thrones together. :(
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

madzilla84 wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 8:38 am I really hope Phil gets home by the end of this week - there’s just something really sad about the idea of them not watching the last ever episode of game of thrones together. :(
If he is showing things as specific as the pinball machine then he's definitely not still at that villa anymore - they never show ways to identify where they're at while they're still there. So I think it's safe to say they'll be able to vent their tears/rage/etc at each other in person for the finale. :D
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I don't know any of these artists but people seem very excited about Phil's spotify being public now.
knq
lava lamp

alittledizzy wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:37 pm I don't know any of these artists but people seem very excited about Phil's spotify being public now.
Does that mean he went in and made it public recently? I know so little about Spotify. If so I wonder what inspired him to do that. Maybe there will be a Spotify or music related video on the horizon.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’ve been able to see Phil’s Spotify all along so idk that he’s made changes but he has started using it more. He’s been listening to some rap and r&b, etc...
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 6:33 pm I’ve been able to see Phil’s Spotify all along so idk that he’s made changes but he has started using it more. He’s been listening to some rap and r&b, etc...
My first thought is to immediately wonder if they swapped accounts again. I know in the past Dan has whined about Phil having been listening to his, it seems like they just use whatever is logged in on whatever device they pick up.
autumnhearth
senpai

Eh I doubt Phil’s stories are delayed that delayed, maybe a day or two. It’s entirely possible he doesn’t think fans would stalk him at his family’s vacation home. I would hope that too. Still, it’s only Tuesday, he has plenty of time to get home by Sunday.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:08 pm Eh I doubt Phil’s stories are delayed that delayed, maybe a day or two. It’s entirely possible he doesn’t think fans would stalk him at his family’s vacation home. I would hope that too. Still, it’s only Tuesday, he has plenty of time to get home by Sunday.
I actually think fully that his stories are that delayed - if he's not been spotted by fans he has no reason not to make the content last a few extra days.

But if he's spotted by anyone out, I'll definitely change my mind! I just think they're far more safety conscious than to post a unique room tour while they're there. It'd just be out of character, they never do that.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I’m gonna go ahead and say that I don’t think his stories are that delayed either tbh. I do think they’ll be delayed by a day max but since the hiatus it doesn’t seem so crazy fanwise. He probably wants the hype so that he can get his video counts up since they’ve not been that great. I actually feel a bit sorry for Phil really.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I don’t know how to post stories, but one of the recent ones made me think “well, I hope you put your big shorts on”, not that that would save him, but he was joking anyway, obvs.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Thanks for everyone who got in contact about helping out. I've sent everyone DM's.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw
interactive introvert

I know they don’t have to like each other’s photos or posts but i don’t like that Dan was online on both Instagram and twitter at the exact times Phil posted and not only ignored his posts but liked other people’s stuff.

It’s like they aren’t wanting to be public bff’s anymore or something.
dancy
procrastinator

He looks cute! And I don't really think Phil's been home for 2-3 days already either tbh (that would've been one hell of a short holiday first of all) just because he's shown some details of the what the rental villa looks like. Maybe they've been travelling a bit around Florida and they only stayed there briefly? I also find it unlikely that he'd post this many pictures today if he had already been back in London for a few days and even if no one walked up to him and asked for a picture, there would've still been a chance that someone could see him and take a picture from a distance without him noticing and with that risk, I just don't think he'd delay his Insta stories and posts for more than a day.
knq
lava lamp

Based on Dan’s tendency to immerse himself in a video game like Red Dead Redemption when he’s home alone I thought there was a pretty promising period between May 1st and May 5th that could have been the beginning of Phil’s trip. Dan signed into the dinof Steam account for the first time since DAPG died. He was signed in every day pretty much all day from the 1st to the 5th. (I was keeping an eye on it because I was hoping to see Phil sign in as well, indicating a possible return of DAPG, but alas, no.)

In that case, Phil would have filmed Risky Click the same day he asked for links (which seems unlikely but certainly possible, considering how many of the links were related to the Sonic meme of the day), and already been in Florida when he tweeted about Florida weather.

Then around the same time Dan would have been returning home from the writers retreat, Phil tweeted about going through airport security. That could have been the beginning or the end of his trip.

Some of that fits with their previous patterns, but other parts seem a stretch, especially Phil waiting until he had left the US to start tweeting about being in the US. They usually delay tweets by a day or two, not a week, and it’s not like Phil is a super secret operative in danger of discovery—he usually seems willing to take photos with the few fans he runs into, so being that careful about no one knowing where he is or even what country he’s in seems unnecessary.

Further research is needed to answer the important question of when Phil Lester truly went on holiday.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I’m just gonna chime in and say that that photo’s a wonderful closeup of Phil’s eyes, we can really see the blue and yellow as Dan said years ago, though I’m not sure I can also distinguish the green. The budgie’s pretty too. Not sure why Phil’s doing such a freaked out look, though. Still, good for hair-watch too, roots showing at the temples instead of the quiff this time. Interesting :sherlock:
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

It's been a year today since I saw II and met Dan and Phil. Where did the time go? *wistful sigh*
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat
pastel persona

Hopefully they removed that horrifying birth photo too, or some randos buying it are going to have a very strange experience.
autumnhearth
senpai

“graphic design is our passion” okay Dan :sideeye:

Wasn’t the Polaroid only included when you bought it from their shop? Or am I think of something else?

And yes, Phil’s eyes are breathtaking galactic marbles. I was surprised that the blue is an even smaller proportion than I thought, just ringing the outside. Stunning.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

autumnhearth I bought mine at Barnes & Noble, and it contained a Polaroid.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?