Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

Image credit: Catallena
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Since Dan and Phil are (maybe, probably) sunning in Florida, I'm gonna just spam with some art I've seen.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm catching up on some of the videos from my sub feed I've had tabbed for a bit, and Savannah Brown's come back video made my ears perk in a Dan kind of way from what she was saying, as well as being a viewer of hers for the last 3 ish years.

Now, she's about 6 years younger than Dan, but started youtube around the same age as he did. She mentions growing up and sharing your life online, and not really realizing what that can do to you until you're much older, and how weird and kind of awful it can be, especially when you're put into a spotlight. This reminded me of Dan since he hit that massive, unexpected peak in internet fame when he was so young and had no idea how to deal with it. She goes on to talk about her own experience with that, and how taking her two-year break from youtube gave her some realizations, and a more adult understanding of herself both as a creator and an individual.

A lot of what she said about her break focused more on how she regarded herself as a creator and how that tied into her working on the book she had published in March of this year. But that being said I think she made some points that resonated with me in regards to some thoughts about Dan.

3:30 - "it dawned on me, the other day, that maybe I don't need to keep trying so hard to prove who I am" (in context to her book)

5:12 - "I can be serious, and I can take what I do seriously, but I can still, like, have a personality. And I think that's where the block was; the pitfalls of creating a personal brand" (in relation to her crisis about what she creates)

The quotes I pulled above, while they of course don't fit in the narrative that we know about Dan atm, but drawing comparisons about what Dan's said in the past about creating and the parallels between their online careers, I think they can be applicable. While the first quote is geared towards her process of writing her book and having an online presence, it reminded me of how anal Dan is about his content and the ~aesthetic and things like "oh this is a Tuesday in March video". I think a lot of those concerns from him, while rooted in the nature of how he produces content, come from where he started as a creator and gaining fame, where he had to establish himself and who he wants to be online. Of course as people grow and change that's a continual process, but with the dinof branding and him laying it to rest very loudly, and the circles we've seen him talk himself into in liveshows about content, he's been stuck. And I think that's where the second quote I pulled comes in, and in relation to Dan being meticulous about his content. Related to that, a bit later in the video she says what gives her a purpose is creating, and from that, hopefully helping others. Dan's said stuff to the same effect, like with his work with Young Minds and Daniel & Depression.

I guess to wrap all of this up, my hope for Dan in this break he's taken, and the kind of struggle we've seen him have with his content for the last few years, is that he can come out of it like Sav did, with a perspective that looks at himself from a wide lens across the years he's been active online and with a few steps back from the box he puts himself into. I think he deserves that kind of peace with his content and online presence, and with putting himself out there for the last ten years. And idk, maybe for him that would be a total career shift, or just returning back to videos in a way that feels right, but watching Sav's video and drawing comparisons made me hope for Dan to have the same sort of experience, because as a regular viewer of Sav's I could definitely see a weight off her shoulders.

I could be completely missing the mark here, or maybe looking at this narrowly, so I'd be interested to read what anyone else thinks about this!
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

(oops sorry, I can't get the images to show properly. please ignore.)
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:49 am I'm catching up on some of the videos from my sub feed I've had tabbed for a bit, and Savannah Brown's come back video made my ears perk in a Dan kind of way from what she was saying, as well as being a viewer of hers for the last 3 ish years.

Now, she's about 6 years younger than Dan, but started youtube around the same age as he did. She mentions growing up and sharing your life online, and not really realizing what that can do to you until you're much older, and how weird and kind of awful it can be, especially when you're put into a spotlight. This reminded me of Dan since he hit that massive, unexpected peak in internet fame when he was so young and had no idea how to deal with it. She goes on to talk about her own experience with that, and how taking her two-year break from youtube gave her some realizations, and a more adult understanding of herself both as a creator and an individual.

A lot of what she said about her break focused more on how she regarded herself as a creator and how that tied into her working on the book she had published in March of this year. But that being said I think she made some points that resonated with me in regards to some thoughts about Dan.

3:30 - "it dawned on me, the other day, that maybe I don't need to keep trying so hard to prove who I am" (in context to her book)

5:12 - "I can be serious, and I can take what I do seriously, but I can still, like, have a personality. And I think that's where the block was; the pitfalls of creating a personal brand" (in relation to her crisis about what she creates)

The quotes I pulled above, while they of course don't fit in the narrative that we know about Dan atm, but drawing comparisons about what Dan's said in the past about creating and the parallels between their online careers, I think they can be applicable. While the first quote is geared towards her process of writing her book and having an online presence, it reminded me of how anal Dan is about his content and the ~aesthetic and things like "oh this is a Tuesday in March video". I think a lot of those concerns from him, while rooted in the nature of how he produces content, come from where he started as a creator and gaining fame, where he had to establish himself and who he wants to be online. Of course as people grow and change that's a continual process, but with the dinof branding and him laying it to rest very loudly, and the circles we've seen him talk himself into in liveshows about content, he's been stuck. And I think that's where the second quote I pulled comes in, and in relation to Dan being meticulous about his content. Related to that, a bit later in the video she says what gives her a purpose is creating, and from that, hopefully helping others. Dan's said stuff to the same effect, like with his work with Young Minds and Daniel & Depression.

I guess to wrap all of this up, my hope for Dan in this break he's taken, and the kind of struggle we've seen him have with his content for the last few years, is that he can come out of it like Sav did, with a perspective that looks at himself from a wide lens across the years he's been active online and with a few steps back from the box he puts himself into. I think he deserves that kind of peace with his content and online presence, and with putting himself out there for the last ten years. And idk, maybe for him that would be a total career shift, or just returning back to videos in a way that feels right, but watching Sav's video and drawing comparisons made me hope for Dan to have the same sort of experience, because as a regular viewer of Sav's I could definitely see a weight off her shoulders.
I haven’t posted in quite a while, but I’ve been back lurking since the hiatus. Glad to have a place like IDB where so many others relate so many things to Dan and Phil. This was such a great post! I can see the parallels between Sav and Dan’s situations. Glad to be back in the huddled mass of starved for content deppy supporters! BTW does anyone know why Nanalew took down her anime collab with Phil?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I am crying.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
kavat
pastel persona

glitterintheair wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 1:31 pm I am crying.
Omg that's amazing, thanks Tom :lol:
fancybum
senpai

Ahhh that’s hilarious (and sad but mostly hilarious) and just reminds me how anti-social and hermit-y D&P are. It’s kind of crazy how they never seem to take advantage of all the kinds of cool events and things they must constantly be invited to (or could easily get themselves invited to) like other YTers. Like ‘hmm yes this could be cool but ew we’d have to hang out and make awkward small talk with these other influencers so y’know no thanks’. I mean... 1. Same. 2. Free stuff tho. The ultimate dilemma.

And thanks for the meaty post obsessivelymoody. Still annoyed with D&P and haven’t yet watched Sav’s vid but it was a good read. Much to think about (while also still being annoyed).
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Lol, Tom. Can’t tell if that means they didn’t go tbh, but by now I imagine they might feel like they’ve heard it all. I’ve only been to summer in the city’s creator day twice and it was already repetitive the second time, but VidCon was better. Still, only so much you can hear about brand deals which seems to be what a lot of the industry stuff’s about (don’t rely on my memory, though). Shame they don’t just go to see their friends, though it’s a bit far just to see Tom, after all.

Love seeing the head-of-thread photo again, it’s a good’un. Also those art works. I’d seen a few of them, but they’re so good and cute.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

So disrespectful of them to invite dead people :(
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Irl just posted Thomas Sanders story that said the UK store for his merch is closing too.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:23 pm Irl just posted Thomas Sanders story that said the UK store for his merch is closing too.
Oh interesting, I wonder what's going on with him? His US store has been doing a closing thing for a while, right? And that's run by someone besides IRL.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Off topic, but has anyone else seen Garrett Watts’ Instagram stories from today? Basically, he’s been gone from social media/ YouTube for a few months and gave everyone an update via stories. Anyway, he talked about all the kind messages about him being gone and people caring. He wanted to let everyone know he was ok and happy. It made me think of Dan and I wondered how many of his messages he reads or if he’s still tuned into the community like he used to be.

Garrett also said a video was coming ‘soon’. “....and I actually mean soon, not my twisted version of soon” (sorry I don’t know how to add insta stories). Anyway, can someone please show Daniel this as an example of a “still alive” update? Take your time babe and don’t feel pressure, but damn a simple update like that would be incredible!
knq
lava lamp

See, sometimes I really want to know if Dan's apparent break from keeping up a public presence on social media has been benefiting his health or his mental state, and if he feels any less like he is the masks he puts on for people. And then I remember the only way I'd hear those things was if Dan came and talked about them on social media.
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 5:53 pm Off topic, but has anyone else seen Garrett Watts’ Instagram stories from today? Basically, he’s been gone from social media/ YouTube for a few months and gave everyone an update via stories. Anyway, he talked about all the kind messages about him being gone and people caring. He wanted to let everyone know he was ok and happy. It made me think of Dan and I wondered how many of his messages he reads or if he’s still tuned into the community like he used to be.

Garrett also said a video was coming ‘soon’. “....and I actually mean soon, not my twisted version of soon” (sorry I don’t know how to add insta stories). Anyway, can someone please show Daniel this as an example of a “still alive” update? Take your time babe and don’t feel pressure, but damn a simple update like that would be incredible!
I know we want more of an update from Dan than "when I'm ready" but Garrett gave this update just today, after being mostly away & pretty vague about his absence for a few months, because he finally felt ready to, right? He's in a place now where he feels ready to communicate more concrete info., but he didn't do so until the timing felt right for him, and he seems to feel confident that he'll be returning fairly soon. So as much as I want to know what Dan's thinking, if "still alive" and "when I'm ready" is all he's got at the moment then I'm okay with that, too.
fancybum
senpai

Uh he’s been communicating concrete info for awhile, he posted about having a death in the family last month (or a few months ago, I can’t time) and dealing with that. And he didn’t just abandon the internet as he’s still been popping up in other creator’s videos (and also he only has 1 channel to abandon, unlike other people). Love Garrett but it’s not quite the same.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

:gayaf:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ooh. So I wonder if they're back home, since he's tweeting about travel again? If he waited to say he was going (that weather report) until he was already in Florida, and they flew home yesterday, they (or just Phil) would have still had basically a week there.

I guess at least we know where he's not.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Hmm, I am not sure he(or they) came back. I have a feeling he just arrived in Florida but maybe I am wrong. It just seems odd to me that he would go to Florida for a week only? Or maybe he had to shorten his holiday this time because he's gonna be busy doing other things back home , idk. I guess we'll see.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

You don’t have to go through border control in the same sort of ‘intense scrutiny’ way when leaving the US, fwiw, so he’s probably arriving. Doesn’t looks like the weather is much improved from when he last checked though, sadly!
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
liola
rankussy

Yeah I'm not convinced he's coming back, I think it's more likely he just arrived. And while I would be happy for them for not getting creep shotted, I would also find it VERY weird that no one spotted them tbh. At the same time, with Cornelia's gig tomorrow, who knows. It's also possible they flew now and Martyn and Cornelia will get there after the gig..

Basically, so many possibilities. Let me still dream about possible florida pics
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Oh, hm, you're right if he meant border control. I just assumed that he was talking about TSA in general but I also don't travel internationally so the terminology kind of blurs together for me. His last tweet just seemed so specific that the weather he was showing in the picture was the weather he was going to experience. I kind of assumed there were no creepshots because of the nonstop storming meaning they wouldn't be leaving the house much.

But if he/they are just now arriving maybe that still leaves hope for them being spotted or cute ig stories.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I wonder if that tweet was more of a "i'm gonna tweet something funny (aka the bad weather pic) as a way to announce that I'm going on holiday soon" attempt, rather than a "look, I am already in Florida" statement. It reminds me of when Dan tweeted about being alone on a Saturday night drinking wine and attached a pic that was few weeks old.
autumnhearth
senpai

I imagine it’s still delayed, whether that’s by one day, a few, or a week who knows. Great art at the top, thanks for sharing!
dancy
procrastinator

I do think the tweet could be delayed by a day or so but I definitely don't think he just came back considering Phil announced the Risky Click video only a week ago and probably filmed it at least one (or possibly more) day(s) after. That would leave him with less than a week of holiday which is very unlikely. Anyway, fingers crossed for some good content 🤞