Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
liola
rankussy
Pronouns: she/her

It's hard to say without knowing exactly if something else has changed besides the cover, and its not like dnp names were that prominent on the main thing, which I think was their choice. I think it's not a bad move to separate your brand from another one that isnt as prominent as it might have once been - they might just want to be recognized for just the game and not the association. Different thing with that Disney game they have, with a brand as big as that having the logo up front and center just gives that extra cash because people will instantly see it.

Ultimately it might be about attracting people, but I think it's mostly about brand coherence than anything else. We'll see what they say about it, maybe there was some limited deal in place and it simply expired, anything could happen, I just don't really think it's a dnp choice because, what's the point of that and why would big potato go with it
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

CapriciousCrab wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:31 pm
liola wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:23 pm
CapriciousCrab wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 2:10 pm Well, this makes sense if DnP are trying to move away from joint branding.
Nah it really makes more sense as a business choice from Big Potato. Changing packaging (and maybe even things inside) is still going to cost a bit and I doubt they would do it because Dan and Phil don't want a joint branding anymore. If that was the case they would stop selling TABINOF lol plus they didn't want the names on it from the beginning, even when their joint branding was going strong
Do you think Big Potato is trying to appeal to a wider audience by making it a non-branded game? I'm not a business/marketing person so I dont know how all this works lol
I always assumed that their name on the box was solely because Big Potato wanted to make sure Dan and Phil's audience bought it - and I can imagine that in 2019 anyone who is a fan of them has already bough it. Board games aren't really things you purchase multiple times usually.

And, now that I'm thinking about it, I really am not sure I would buy a game like that if it had the names of people I didn't recognize on it. So it does sound like it's just Big Potato wanting the widest reach possible.
obvsly
#relatable

I’m actually very glad about this. I think it means even more money to dnp, whether big potato bought it outright or whether dnp get royalty percentage from sales. (They might even get both.) The fact that big potato invested in repackaging means they believe the game still has potential in general market. It should be a win-win for dnp who already want to distance themselves from the old branding.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

On a tangential note, can we be sure they’re dropping all joint branding? They’ve made no joint content or merch cos Dan hasn’t been active to be part of it and we don’t know for certain yet what’s happening with him or with the two of them together. I get that it could mean no more jointness, but even months of silence don’t tell us for certain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Next PhandomWatch round is about to start at 7 UTC. I'm hyped for some day in the life nostalgia. Come join!
flarequake wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:19 pm On a tangential note, can we be sure they’re dropping all joint branding? They’ve made no joint content or merch cos Dan hasn’t been active to be part of it and we don’t know for certain yet what’s happening with him or with the two of them together. I get that it could mean no more jointness, but even months of silence don’t tell us for certain.
Yeah - we don't know for sure that they're dropping things. My thought all along is just that Dan wants to make a solo video before joint content is back, and I am still pretty sure of that. If Dan were active, and had been for months, and they were giving us the haru treatment on joint content then I'd be more worried.
noodlebum
flower crown

So I guess that 'June video' could be a 2019 rather than 2018 video (if it was still something he wanted to film)? Am I getting my hopes up?
obvsly
#relatable

alittledizzy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:20 pm
flarequake wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:19 pm On a tangential note, can we be sure they’re dropping all joint branding? They’ve made no joint content or merch cos Dan hasn’t been active to be part of it and we don’t know for certain yet what’s happening with him or with the two of them together. I get that it could mean no more jointness, but even months of silence don’t tell us for certain.
Yeah - we don't know for sure that they're dropping things. My thought all along is just that Dan wants to make a solo video before joint content is back, and I am still pretty sure of that. If Dan were active, and had been for months, and they were giving us the haru treatment on joint content then I'd be more worried.
Gosh I hope this doesn’t mean no more jointness either. I just feel that they are trying to be seen more as individuals a little so that when (yeah I think it’s more when than if) they release solo projects we won’t feel like it’s that big a deal or the end of the world. We will anyway but that’s just natural. :lol:
Phantasy
woodland creature

noodlebum wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm So I guess that 'June video' could be a 2019 rather than 2018 video (if it was still something he wanted to film)? Am I getting my hopes up?
That would be very Dan-like. I have my “hopes” on June as well—feels apropos to me too given it’s also his birthday and gay pride month...
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

The kind of room I expect to find in hell tbh :')
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

If Phil is showing us his room in that much identifiable detail, then I'm guessing he's safely back in London now! (Which means I expect 'flying back home!' instagram stories tomorrow or possibly Tuesday.)
Phantasy wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 8:03 pm
noodlebum wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm So I guess that 'June video' could be a 2019 rather than 2018 video (if it was still something he wanted to film)? Am I getting my hopes up?
That would be very Dan-like. I have my “hopes” on June as well—feels apropos to me too given it’s also his birthday and gay pride month...
Well, if anything is gonna inspire him to want to create content, it'd be a retreat for writers of visual content...
kavat
pastel persona

Is June pride month in the UK as well? I always thought that was an American thing but I could be wrong.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 am Is June pride month in the UK as well? I always thought that was an American thing but I could be wrong.
Wikipedia says that in 2018, Pride ran from June 9 to July 7 in London so I guess it is!

A June video would be lovely from Dan. I know the theme of this year is ~lower your expectations for phandom but still. It's a pleasant thought.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

D&P or Game of Thrones, who crushed your expectations more in 2019?
susan2
rainbow nerd

fancybum
senpai

LtrllySusan wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 4:46 pm D&P or Game of Thrones, who crushed your expectations more in 2019?
Still D&P because I’ve never watched GoT (and never will) BUT based on all the outrage/disappointment spewing from everywhere online over it, hearing Dan talk about his own opinions on it in a liveshow probably would’ve been entertaining. Le sigh.

You know it’s bad when you want to hear someone yammer on about a thing you don’t even have any interest in.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
autumnhearth
senpai

Ahh thank youuu geotag! Looks like a lovely property. Popular for weddings and yoga retreats. And cheese making! I’m tempted to do a mood board, but that would be silly.

Uh at the moment that would be GoT, the feeling is too fresh and uh... my 2019 expectations weren’t high for D&P. We still have over half a year yet, I have hope for the fall (not feeling June). Whereas GoT only has one more episode and a guaranteed death toll... That was a rhetorical question wasn’t it?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

It'd be nice if the phandom's supposed interest in D&P's future as solo creators wouldn't just be endlessly speculating about Dan. Phil needs some of that energy considering he's the one actually doing stuff atm, yet the views on his last video are majorly tanking. Still only at 380k. Even if one thinks Phil's content isn't very interesting right now, surely it is more interesting than literally no content? Is it because Phil isn't the one going on BBC Writer's retreats? Like somehow YouTube isn't enough anymore? Interesting bias, as always. :shrug:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Catallena wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:34 pm It'd be nice if the phandom's supposed interest in D&P's future as solo creators wouldn't just be endlessly speculating about Dan. Phil needs some of that energy considering he's the one actually doing stuff atm, yet the views on his last video are majorly tanking. Still only at 380k. Even if one thinks Phil's content isn't very interesting right now, surely it is more interesting than literally no content? Is it because Phil isn't the one going on BBC Writer's retreats? Like somehow YouTube isn't enough anymore? Interesting bias, as always. :shrug:
I’ve never been a fan of dan’s solo content so I’ve always had a bias for Phil’s videos but tbh even though I watched the risky clicks video I had to go back to his channel to see what his last upload was because I completely forgot about it after i watched it. I do want Phil to have better views but His latest videos have seemed so uninspired and lazy that I can’t seem to care about them.

Right now the only thing I really want is joint content but since that ship has sailed I’m just here to read up on any crumbs we get about their lives. I don’t really care about the writers retreat and I don’t love how Dan is ghosting his YouTube fanbase who are all worried about him. I also don’t love how Phil is going through the motions. I still want better for them and for the audience so I’m still here but I’m hanging on by a thread.
knq
lava lamp

I'm surprised to find I care if Dan and Phil were together to watch the second to last episode of GOT. It's pretty unclear if either of them is home or like, if home is in the same location it was before. I do kind of hope they moved, if only so that Phil might choose a less cramped filming space.

@Catallena I feel like it's more 'haunting silence occasionally interrupted by the wayward speculation' than endlessly speculating. :shrug: I couldn't make a solid guess about what country either of them are in right now nevermind anything more exciting.
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

Catallena wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:34 pm It'd be nice if the phandom's supposed interest in D&P's future as solo creators wouldn't just be endlessly speculating about Dan. Phil needs some of that energy considering he's the one actually doing stuff atm, yet the views on his last video are majorly tanking. Still only at 380k. Even if one thinks Phil's content isn't very interesting right now, surely it is more interesting than literally no content? Is it because Phil isn't the one going on BBC Writer's retreats? Like somehow YouTube isn't enough anymore? Interesting bias, as always. :shrug:
+1

I think some people are upset that Phil's content hasn't changed but I'm not sure what people were expecting to see. :shrug:
Phil isn't the oversharing type of youtuber. I highly doubt we will ever get in-depth videos about his mental health/sexuality/personal life because that isn't his way and the people expecting him to film 'share then regret' type of vidoes are bound to be disappointed.

You know, there were a lot of calls for Phil to adopt a Jenna Marbles 'give no fucks' attitude and to just film what he wants. And it seems like he has, all while still trying to involve his viewers. But the difference between Jenna and Phil is that Jenna's viewers watch her videos for her while half the phandom is just waiting for the return of Dan.
fancybum
senpai

To be fair Jenna’s channel is basically a joint channel now and if Julien just out of nowhere one day stopped appearing in her vids and posting on his channel and streaming without a peep about it, their audience wouldn’t just shrug and go ‘well that’s cool, I’m only here for Jenna’ (well the people who hate Julien might, but overall they’re a package deal just like D&P are/were). I don’t think comparing one duo continuing to be active and engage with their audience regularly and together to a former(?) duo with one absent member works.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
glitterintheair
phillluminati

fancybum wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:08 pm To be fair Jenna’s channel is basically a joint channel now and if Julien just out of nowhere one day stopped appearing in her vids and posting on his channel and streaming without a peep about it, their audience wouldn’t just shrug and go ‘well that’s cool, I’m only here for Jenna’ (well the people who hate Julien might, but overall they’re a package deal just like D&P are/were). I don’t think comparing one duo continuing to be active and engage with their audience regularly and together to a former(?) duo with one absent member works.
+ 1
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

flarequake
not an airport stalker

Looking at the view counts, it is sad to see them steadily dropping over the last few months and even the drawing viewers with his feet has over 600k by now. I have a small hope he’s doing these kinds of videos as an easy ride for a while and might try something different soon, but I also don’t believe that. They seem a safe option, until you see the views plummeting now, but they’re kinda generic and if you don’t know Phil, you might think “do I care about risky clicks, Instagram hacks or google search?” Quite a few are stories from his life, the Weakest Link reaction, haunted house, things his parents didn’t let him buy, though they’re not that deep or unusual to see on YouTube.

There are some artists I watch most often cos I like them and their energy, but they do the kinds of art-related things which are the least deep eg using tiny/old/cheap pencils, after a few years I don’t even want to know how many speedpaints I’ve watched so the quirky trendy stuff keeps things interesting (and the occasional speedpaint is still relaxing), but then I do sometimes want to see more from them cos I know I’m not seeing their best art (one’s said she finds it stressful to draw for camera and it takes too long, which is fair enough, but sometimes another insta hack vid is not interesting).

Looking at Jenna’s videos, they’re quirky in her own way, be it dog Easter egg hunt complete with bunny onesie, or dyeing her eyebrows, they’re off the wall enough to more interesting just from the title and thumbnail, but view-wise, she has 19m subs to 4-5m views, is that a similar ratio? This comparison to her is repetitive and not really fair, though. She’s been assigned as what we’d like to see Phil doing and besides seeing him make what he’s making, we don’t actually know his thoughts about it.

We know Phil’s got ideas for gameshows and fiction, he has more to give than he’s currently doing, but is there a reason he isn’t going far outside the box or has that not even occurred to him?

Fun find in the garage, way better than what he’d find in mine (he’d be set for screwdrivers and books written in shorthand, such fun).
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

alittledizzy wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 8:51 pm
I wish my garage had a pinball machine!

A lot of the Disney vaca rentals have garages that are converted into game rooms- i wonder what else he found?