Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Locked
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:05 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: California, USA

Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by oqua » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:12 am

Please continue here.

Image
Image
Gif credits: thatqueerangel on Tumblr

*licks lips*
“Child.”
-Kathryn Lester



User avatar
Anonymousse
flower crown
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:20 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Eastern Europe

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by Anonymousse » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:20 am

I wonder how it's like to be Dan's lips...

Not like in the "creepy way", but like how much pain can they handle (that sounds wrong)

Like they look like they have been slashed by a knife(Oh god)...

That can't feel good (or can it? Christ)

I should stop talking.

Edit:
He really needs this (christ)
Image
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged


Vivastian
crusty sponge
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:00 pm
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by Vivastian » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:30 am

So. That was certainly an interesting pair of videos.

I can't say I'm too terribly surprised with the male attraction mentions throughout, seeing as Dan seems to take every opportunity to throw them at us during liveshows, but I am very, very proud of him for extending it to his main channel - the fashion in which he did it was bold to..say the least. I'm still hysterically laughing at the thumbnail. It was definitely a big step (he went from implied attraction to anime boys in ISG to caressing Haru's face in bed, lol), and I'm sure a scary one too with the greater audience impact.

I'll echo alittledizzy in a tiny groan though. Certainly it was nice to have a proper danisnotonfire sketch video, but it's slightly disappointing when it's in face of sponsor money. I'd love for Dan to turn over a new leaf (or rather, get back to the old one), but I'm going to continue keeping my expectations low; to become optimistic from one video in spite of his past record seems more painful in the long run.

And honestly, I am even less confident about Dan posting on DINI. Unless Crunchyroll specifically told him to make two videos instead of one like Phil, the Recommendations video was because of not meeting requirements, which I imagine is him trying to avoid being too #sponny on DINOF, and that's a situation which I don't think we'll likely again see.

The video was pleasant, and it was great that if it had to be #spon, it was on something which we know he actively enjoys.

I found the Recommendations video fascinating; the camera quality wasn't the only thing reminding me of YouNow. It seemed to me that with the format being more direct and salesman-like, and his persona having dropped substantially, it allowed for some nerves to set in. (The repetition of words, at the very least, made me think he was very conscious of audience's reception during filming.)

It could also be a result of talking about 'cute boys in speedos' or Phil (the laugh at 2:10-ish), or a combination of the three.

On labels - they are a double-edged sword, to be sure, but obviously we can't forget that they can be used to include as well as exclude, and empower as well as disempower.
Anonymousse wrote: I wonder how it's like to be Dan's lips...

Not like in the "creepy way", but like how much pain can they handle

jaej wrote: however as haru as a character is an underage teenage boy...
Following in Daddy's footsteps

Image
GG wrote:*the site that shall not be named, ty

User avatar
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious
Posts: 717
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:18 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by rizzo » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:34 am

I'm gonna make a post out of left field because I have nothing to contribute to the current convo. Do you, Dan. And by that I mean do whoever you want. Consensually.

danandphilhq have been posting old photobooth pics of dan and phil and it got me thinking about how inseparable they are. i know we've discussed "codependency" to death or whatever you want to call their attachment, but i'm speaking more to their connection in the public eye.

perhaps it's just me, but i find it almost weird to see one without the other these days. there is absolutely zero level of independence here in terms of their image. even TW? zalfie can go a video or two without mentioning the other. but here we have dan and phil who bring up their other half once every minute on every public platform they have. and what this does is make it weird for me to look at, for example, these old pics where one is without the other and not be slightly thrown.

do they realize they're doing this? is it entirely on purpose for the brand? is this just me? like... i'm beginning to forget the last video i saw where one of them hadn't mentioned the other and it all just reminds me of that time dan said "it's dan. dan-and-phil dan." they're just.... one.

just thinking aloud here, feel free to scroll on by~

madmadmad
drama llama
Posts: 43
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:59 pm
Location: Northern Europe

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by madmadmad » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:42 am

Image

Yay, new updated angles from all over the house to analyse the shiz out of!

I'm slightly surprised by the amount of cooking books they own. And the organised spice containers really warms my heart and soul.

What are those skull things btw, I have a distinct memory that I have seen them before but I can't for the life of me remember where?

User avatar
Anonymousse
flower crown
Posts: 738
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:20 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Eastern Europe

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by Anonymousse » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:44 am

madmadmad wrote:
What are those skull things btw, I have a distinct memory that I have seen them before but I can't for the life of me remember where?
http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk/blog/spirits/kah-tequila/
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged


Cora
#relatable
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:36 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by Cora » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:48 am

Because I've not only heard of it a million times, and seen cosplay of it a million times, and heard my friends babble on about it a million times, but also because Dan sold it as he did, I'm finally going to just shut up and watch Death Note. Right now. We'll see how this goes, Mr. Howell.

Edit: THEY DON'T HAVE THE DEATH NOTE ANIME ON CRUNCHYROLL, GOD-DAN-IT
Last edited by Cora on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Catallena
angel bean
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by Catallena » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:48 am

brb going to London and tracking their asses down to teach Dan some proper pronunciation because my weeaboo ass cringed the whole way through. Great thumbnail tho.
Never seen a heterosexual guy liking Free! as much as Dan does, anyone who isn't at least kinda doubting his straightness is just flat out lying to themselves at this point.

I really liked the video :D His best in a while, but I'm a bit biased because I like anime. Still he brought back the sketches and found the password to his second channel, which is all I want. I'm slightly side eyeing him for #spon, like I usually don't mind, but I vividly remember Dan talking about how he was lucky enough to not need sponsored videos... But if an extra wad of cash gets to make proper videos again, I guess that's okay. Plus he does actually use Crunchyroll.
His taste in anime is a bit basic and most of them we've heard about before in liveshows (#JusticeForOuran tho), but it was fine and he's just in the beginner stages of being a weeab himself so I didn't expect anything deeper. (I shouldn't talk anyway, I barely watch anime these days so of course all my faves are more on the obscure side of the spectrum. THEY'RE ALL ANCIENT. Still if I never hear about SAO or SNK again, it'd be too soon.)

More so than his pronunciation I cringed at him bringing up otaku culture. There's nothing to be proud of if you're an otaku... Not totally his fault, international anime fans have been misusing the term for more than a decade now but it would've been nice if he had done more research. His definition for moe was wrong as well. *moe hater*

But aside from that it was good. The best thing about it was the Haru pillow.


Also I lurk on a Dutch forum which has a thread that is basically the Dutch equivalent of the original GG where they trash beautyblog/vlog people (but they're a little nicer than GG ever was) and someone was very confused as to why there were PROTIP comments on all videos everywhere :') I was both amused and slightly embarrassed to be a part of the phandom.
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr

jess
living flop
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 2:26 pm
Location: California

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by jess » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:53 am

Ya'll are just moving too fast for me & I cannot pretend to keep up, so I'll just drop in with some random thoughts...

I really liked the new dinof despite my complete lack of interest in anime (sorry, crunchyroll, even Daniel couldn't nudge me in yer direction!). It was nice to see Dan do a more Dan-like video rather than the crowd sourcing shit he's been leaning on lately. Best thing on the dinof channel since Halloween baking. Also enjoyed the dini, once again, in spite of my lack of interest in the anime. Now if only some shitty/evil streaming music service would sponsor him to do a similar video for music... & put in the terms that he's not allowed to mention Kanye or Panic! or FOB or 1D or any of the musicians he mentions far too often (I'm biased & Radiohead are exempt because they're magical :lol: ).

I'm happy D&P will remain a part of the r1 family... whatever the fuck that ends up meaning.

blueapple_x, I'm pretty sure felucca meant "dropping" as in dropping hints to male attraction rather than stopping.
cora808 wrote:
Mama_Phan wrote:
I dont know how to jump into the conversation about he is bi or not. I get that some people want to have representation, but for me I dont need someone to label themselves and its so hard for people these days because they feel they have to put a definition on who they are as sexual beings but maybe because I am older I dont see the need. There is so much more to each of us than who we are attracted to.

My wish is that one day there is no labels and no assumptions, that we are all just beautiful humans with different ways of thinking and feeling, emotionally and sexually with out judgment.
I totally 120% agree. Back in the day, we just wanted people to acknowledge that there was more than gay or straight, male or female.
But it seems like nowadays, people almost obsess over that perfect label identifying their very exact identity and it's like, 20 words long. It's OK, be you. Be happy with you.

Now let's get back to obsessing over D&P's shelves and fringes and mispronunciations of foreign languages
I know how you both feel. It is hard to explain things like this to young people sometimes because so much has changed in the world. It is hard to express these kinds of sentiments without people misinterpreting what you mean. I'm glad that sexuality & gender can be expressed in an array of ways (& not just in the academic realm!), but I'm also wary of labelling the fuck out of people because that can lead to issues as well.

User avatar
achika
hobbit hair
Posts: 276
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:22 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: LA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by achika » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:55 am

cora808 wrote:Because I've not only heard of it a million times, and seen cosplay of it a million times, and heard my friends babble on about it a million times, but also because Dan sold it as he did, I'm finally going to just shut up and watch Death Note. Right now. We'll see how this goes, Mr. Howell.

Edit: THEY DON'T HAVE THE DEATH NOTE ANIME ON CRUNCHYROLL, GOD-DAN-IT
It's on Hulu if you have that or can piggyback on someone's sign-in info

ayane
Senpai
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:24 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by ayane » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:56 am

Vivastian wrote:
And honestly, I am even less confident about Dan posting on DINI. Unless Crunchyroll specifically told him to make two videos instead of one like Phil, the Recommendations video was because of not meeting requirements, which I imagine is him trying to avoid being too #sponny on DINOF, and that's a situation which I don't think we'll likely again see.

The video was pleasant, and it was great that if it had to be #spon, it was on something which we know he actively enjoys.

I found the Recommendations video fascinating; the camera quality wasn't the only thing reminding me of YouNow. It seemed to me that with the format being more direct and salesman-like, and his persona having dropped substantially, it allowed for some nerves to set in. (The repetition of words, at the very least, made me think he was very conscious of audience's reception during filming.)

It could also be a result of talking about 'cute boys in speedos' or Phil (the laugh at 2:10-ish), or a combination of the three.

On labels - they are a double-edged sword, to be sure, but obviously we can't forget that they can be used to include as well as exclude, and empower as well as disempower.
Nah, I doubt the DINI video is part of the spon. One, it's boring for people who don't really care about anime. It was like a laundry list with recommendations and some cheeky throw away comments (mostly to do with speedos *cough*), with no fully formed entertainment components, such as sketches. It was legit just him talking to the camera with just some edits onto the screen. And it doesn't have AD in the thumbnail/title and he didn't promote the second one on twitter. Which, if I was crunchyroll, I'd make sure he did. And, he didn't seem like he was just listing off anime because someone gave him a list and was like "make this sound genuine." He truly gushed about some of those.

And I do think this video was indicative of the type of things he may want to put on DINI but never had the guts to do. And well, depending on the reception, his potential (almost nonexistent) DINI ideas might get locked into a safe never to see the light again. He legitimately gave opinions. Mostly it was gushing but he did give his real thoughts on Death Note and Evangelion. Stuff that will open up the can of worms that is "giving negative opinions on the internet." It's something he used to do sparingly so as not to invite controversy/disagreement with other fanbases. So, I think he has stepped out of his box. But he did it with something familiar and relatively un...controversial? (nah, that's the wrong word. I'm too tired to think of the right one).

And, the video did give me much more insight into what kind of storytelling really draws his interest. Just for that alone, I enjoy the video more. It was much more fully formed than liveshow rambles but less formulated than say...something that would be on DINOF. I quite enjoy the median because there's no mental gymnastics to unravel the run-on sentences and subject changes.

I'd be extremely interested in hearing other reviews/recommendations. I personally liked the DINI video better than the DINOF video. Simply because he gave pretty compelling summaries. (and I'm going to jump on the wagon of people who disliked the DINOF video for atrocious pronunciation and um...slight misinformation...to a certain extent).

But, I will say I enjoyed both of the videos very much. Simply for the passion displayed.

blueapple_x
flower crown
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:57 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by blueapple_x » Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:57 am

Vivastian wrote:On labels - they are a double-edged sword, to be sure, but obviously we can't forget that they can be used to include as well as exclude, and empower as well as disempower.

Thank you for saying this.
At the end of the day, it’s nobody’s place to tell someone else what they should and shouldn’t do with regards to how they want to/don't want to identify themselves. Some people like and use labels, some people don’t. That’s completely fine. Nobody has to label themselves if they don’t want to but they shouldn’t knock people who DO want to label themselves by saying labels are stupid/shouldn’t exist. Likewise, if a person prefers labels, they shouldn’t knock on people who don’t want to use labels.
Last edited by blueapple_x on Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cora
#relatable
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:36 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by Cora » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:03 am

blueapple_x wrote:
Vivastian wrote:On labels - they are a double-edged sword, to be sure, but obviously we can't forget that they can be used to include as well as exclude, and empower as well as disempower.

Thank you for saying this.

OT: At the end of the day, it’s nobody’s place to tell someone else what they should and shouldn’t do with regards to how they want to/don't want to identify themselves. Some people like and use labels, some people don’t. That’s completely fine. Nobody has to label themselves if they don’t want to but they shouldn’t knock people who DO want to label themselves by saying labels are stupid/shouldn’t exist. Likewise, if a person prefers labels, they shouldn’t knock on people who don’t want to use labels.
My issue with the labels being used these days is that I find myself constantly being accused of being ___phobic because I didn't used 2 of the 5 labels someone has chosen to identify as, unbeknownst to me.
Image

blueapple_x
flower crown
Posts: 703
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 7:57 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by blueapple_x » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:10 am

cora808 wrote:
blueapple_x wrote:
Vivastian wrote:On labels - they are a double-edged sword, to be sure, but obviously we can't forget that they can be used to include as well as exclude, and empower as well as disempower.

Thank you for saying this.

OT: At the end of the day, it’s nobody’s place to tell someone else what they should and shouldn’t do with regards to how they want to/don't want to identify themselves. Some people like and use labels, some people don’t. That’s completely fine. Nobody has to label themselves if they don’t want to but they shouldn’t knock people who DO want to label themselves by saying labels are stupid/shouldn’t exist. Likewise, if a person prefers labels, they shouldn’t knock on people who don’t want to use labels.
My issue with the labels being used these days is that I find myself constantly being accused of being ___phobic because I didn't used 2 of the 5 labels someone has chosen to identify as, unbeknownst to me.
True. I see what you mean and I think that's up to the individual pointing fingers to politely educate/correct people instead of accusing people of being "___phobic". Just like it's annoying for some when people assume people are straight unless stated otherwise, it's annoying when people assume everyone knows all the labels that exist out there--especially if you've never been exposed to/heard of some of them.

Cora
#relatable
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:36 am
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by Cora » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:20 am

blueapple_x wrote:
cora808 wrote:
blueapple_x wrote:
Vivastian wrote:On labels - they are a double-edged sword, to be sure, but obviously we can't forget that they can be used to include as well as exclude, and empower as well as disempower.

Thank you for saying this.

OT: At the end of the day, it’s nobody’s place to tell someone else what they should and shouldn’t do with regards to how they want to/don't want to identify themselves. Some people like and use labels, some people don’t. That’s completely fine. Nobody has to label themselves if they don’t want to but they shouldn’t knock people who DO want to label themselves by saying labels are stupid/shouldn’t exist. Likewise, if a person prefers labels, they shouldn’t knock on people who don’t want to use labels.
My issue with the labels being used these days is that I find myself constantly being accused of being ___phobic because I didn't used 2 of the 5 labels someone has chosen to identify as, unbeknownst to me.
True. I see what you mean and I think that's up to the individual pointing fingers to politely educate/correct people instead of accusing people of being "___phobic". Just like it's annoying for some when people assume people are straight unless stated otherwise, it's annoying when people assume everyone knows all the labels that exist out there--especially if you've never been exposed to/heard of some of them.
People need to learn what malice and true oppression and phobia are. It's not helpful to your movement to attack your allies, and turn enemies of the uninformed. You do not change minds with anger,and accusations. And as a side note, I often find that many times those throwing around terms like ___phobic never bothered to stop and check if the person they were arguing with is in fact a cisgendered straight person either.

..ok ok, I swear I'm dropping this topic now.
Image

User avatar
boredtears
Senpai
Posts: 33
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:20 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by boredtears » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:25 am

blueapple_x wrote:
cora808 wrote:
blueapple_x wrote:
Vivastian wrote:On labels - they are a double-edged sword, to be sure, but obviously we can't forget that they can be used to include as well as exclude, and empower as well as disempower.

Thank you for saying this.

OT: At the end of the day, it’s nobody’s place to tell someone else what they should and shouldn’t do with regards to how they want to/don't want to identify themselves. Some people like and use labels, some people don’t. That’s completely fine. Nobody has to label themselves if they don’t want to but they shouldn’t knock people who DO want to label themselves by saying labels are stupid/shouldn’t exist. Likewise, if a person prefers labels, they shouldn’t knock on people who don’t want to use labels.
My issue with the labels being used these days is that I find myself constantly being accused of being ___phobic because I didn't used 2 of the 5 labels someone has chosen to identify as, unbeknownst to me.
True. I see what you mean and I think that's up to the individual pointing fingers to politely educate/correct people instead of accusing people of being "___phobic". Just like it's annoying for some when people assume people are straight unless stated otherwise, it's annoying when people assume everyone knows all the labels that exist out there--especially if you've never been exposed to/heard of some of them.
to all of this

esso
esso wrote:boredtears is your profile picture from the Years & Years music video for Real? Ben Whishaw going crazy on the dance floor :lol:
Yes it is! It's definitely my favourite song by them & I love the video a lot for some reason (and Ben too)

akui
blobfish
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50 am
Pronouns: She/Her
Location: Snowy Pear

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by akui » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:33 am

Personally i couldn't give less shit about Dan's sexuality, like whatever. My sole interest is on his relationship with phil.

But i have to say him being ambiguous about his sexuality on his main channel without the intention to come out as anything, will only lead to more rumors and speculations to distract people from his work.

So,
Video quality 10/10
Upcoming rumor level 10/10

Btw i guess many would argue that who don't believe he is bi are heteronorm, but we have to remember fictional boys are not like real boys after all.

So even though i personally believe he's bi, i still don't think this video proof anything more than a few memes. if he made a video about real life sexy male celebs, i would 100% see it as a coming out/bi proof.

oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:05 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: California, USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by oqua » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:42 am

rizzo wrote:I'm gonna make a post out of left field because I have nothing to contribute to the current convo. Do you, Dan. And by that I mean do whoever you want. Consensually.

danandphilhq have been posting old photobooth pics of dan and phil and it got me thinking about how inseparable they are. i know we've discussed "codependency" to death or whatever you want to call their attachment, but i'm speaking more to their connection in the public eye.

perhaps it's just me, but i find it almost weird to see one without the other these days. there is absolutely zero level of independence here in terms of their image. even TW? zalfie can go a video or two without mentioning the other. but here we have dan and phil who bring up their other half once every minute on every public platform they have. and what this does is make it weird for me to look at, for example, these old pics where one is without the other and not be slightly thrown.

do they realize they're doing this? is it entirely on purpose for the brand? is this just me? like... i'm beginning to forget the last video i saw where one of them hadn't mentioned the other and it all just reminds me of that time dan said "it's dan. dan-and-phil dan." they're just.... one.

just thinking aloud here, feel free to scroll on by~
2011/2012 Dan would be cringing so hard.

Q: "Does it bother you that people always think of you and Phil as a duo and not as individual YouTubers?"

Dan:
The thing is, again, we’re only talking about 30% that are crazy about me and Phil. We probably have half our subscribers each that just don’t like the other persons videos because they are so different. And that’s fine. It’s just sometimes I wish we were seen as individuals who are friends like Charlie and Alex, rather than a double act like Ant and Dec. Because we aren’t a double act. We are individuals with different lives who are friends that occasionally appear in each others videos because we live in the same apartment. I know on tumblr there is a ‘phan’dom for me and Phil, but there are thens of thousands of people on tumblr that don’t check the tag’s, don’t associate themselves with the ‘phandom’ and just enjoy one of us’ videos. ~and that’s fine~ you can be into whatever you want to be into.
Image
Q: "Does it ever annoy you that people can't seem to see you and Phil as two separate individuals?"

Dan:
It doesn’t ‘annoy’ me, because I know that there’s a lot of different people with varying levels of intelligence and age and anything on the Internet so people will just say different things, but…we’re not the only people that have the problem. You know, like Charlie and Alex, you go to a video with them together and it’s going ‘I like Charlie better,’ and ‘I like Alex better’…it’s the same with any YouTube friends. I think with me and Phil, like…we’re not Dick and Dom, we’re not Ant and Dec, we’re not Smosh, we’re not OMFG it’s Jack and Dean. I’m Dan, he’s Phil. We’re friends, we live together, but we’re separate people. You know what I mean? So, you know, you can like us both, but we’re not a double act. You know what I mean? I don’t think we want to be a double act. ‘Cause we like just being friends and individuals. But it doesn’t ‘annoy’ me; I could never get annoyed at the Internet.
Oh Dan. I wonder if he was kind of lying in those answers, or if he really did once hate the idea of being a double act, but grew to accept/embrace it over the years. Thoughts?
“Child.”
-Kathryn Lester

angrymob
cheeky #spon
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:04 pm

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by angrymob » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:46 am

akui wrote:Personally i couldn't give less shit about Dan's sexuality, like whatever. My sole interest is on his relationship with phil.

But i have to say him being ambiguous about his sexuality on his main channel without the intention to come out as anything, will only lead to more rumors and speculations to distract people from his work.

So,
Video quality 10/10
Upcoming rumor level 10/10

Btw i guess many would argue that who don't believe he is bi are heteronorm, but we have to remember fictional boys are not like real boys after all.

So even though i personally believe he's bi, i still don't think this video proof anything more than a few memes. if he made a video about real life sexy male celebs, i would 100% see it as a coming out/bi proof.
I'm with this 100%. The only reason I'm invested in his sexuality is that it'd lend more evidence towards his relationship with Phil, and I'm only interested in his relationship with Phil because of the ambiguous mystery aspect of it. I don't really care if he comes out and I don't feel the same need for representation that others do. I'm personally wary of providing a definite label of my sexuality because it's not a super defining trait of my personality and I could understand if someone in the public eye didn't want it to be either. If they're attracted to someone, they're attracted to them. It doesn't need to mean more than that. It's totally fine if any of you like to label your sexualities. I certainly appreciate it in the dating scene. :tongue:
Image

IckleMissMayhem
full-time internet hobo
Posts: 1925
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:59 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: UK

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by IckleMissMayhem » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:55 am

Last night (LS and DINOF andDINI)still seems too good to be true. If it wasn't for yet another Sunday night content-saturation seriously you two... most people need their sleep! :tsk:
Still not even ready to fully pick apart Dan's videos properly I don't think. I'm still too damn happy with him and both vids, but fully agree with the comment about "habit hair-push-jawline-stroke" - Phil, you jammy jammy git. Ahem.

The times, they are a-changing peeps!
Anonymousse wrote:
madmadmad wrote:
What are those skull things btw, I have a distinct memory that I have seen them before but I can't for the life of me remember where?
http://www.drinkfinder.co.uk/blog/spirits/kah-tequila/
Maybe it's just because tequila is my very own "delete memory" button, but this exchange to me was priceless!
achika wrote:
cora808 wrote:Because I've not only heard of it a million times, and seen cosplay of it a million times, and heard my friends babble on about it a million times, but also because Dan sold it as he did, I'm finally going to just shut up and watch Death Note. Right now. We'll see how this goes, Mr. Howell.

Edit: THEY DON'T HAVE THE DEATH NOTE ANIME ON CRUNCHYROLL, GOD-DAN-IT
It's on Hulu if you have that or can piggyback on someone's sign-in info
Netflix too. :)

oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert
Posts: 1065
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:05 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: California, USA

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by oqua » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:56 am

This is a bit of a random comment, but I find it interesting that the Haru pillow moment is basically a recreation of the Daenerys Targaryen moment in the "Fictional Friends" video from May 2013, yet his specific actions are very different.

With Daenerys, he tucks her in, nuzzles his head against her hair, and then proceeds to lick her face.

With Haru, he lovingly strokes his hair then caresses his cheek/chin/lips, all while gazing at him fondly. (And I agree with those who said that it seemed like an instinctive gesture, aw.)

I don't really have any concrete conclusions about this. I just wanted to mention it. I was really fascinated by the contrast and how his treatment of Haru is more "loving" and less objectifying, idk.

Image
Image

Image
Image
“Child.”
-Kathryn Lester

User avatar
manged
sad dimple
Posts: 180
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:01 am
Location: from bowel ;)

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by manged » Mon Apr 04, 2016 6:59 am

oqua wrote: Image
That tongue action though *ahem*
Image

akui
blobfish
Posts: 679
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50 am
Pronouns: She/Her
Location: Snowy Pear

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by akui » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:04 am

Re oqua, rizzo

I have nothing valuable to contribute to the conversation, i just thought it's kind of hypocritical that when he was less less popular than Phil he fought against the idea of duo now he is more popular than phil he embrace the duo branding with open arms.

Soz for being cynical today i woke up wrong.

User avatar
Kathrynxjane
long-time wanker
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:31 am
Pronouns: She/Her
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by Kathrynxjane » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:08 am

Brilliant Emoji!
Vivastian wrote: And honestly, I am even less confident about Dan posting on DINI. Unless Crunchyroll specifically told him to make two videos instead of one like Phil, the Recommendations video was because of not meeting requirements, which I imagine is him trying to avoid being too #sponny on DINOF, and that's a situation which I don't think we'll likely again see.
I didn't think it was full #spon because he recommended Anime that wasn't on Crunchyroll and said to go buy it/watch on other streaming sites not illegelly download them. Unlike Phil who only recommended Anime that was on there so that is why his video was full #spon

Anonymousse wrote: Edit: THEY DON'T HAVE THE DEATH NOTE ANIME ON CRUNCHYROLL, GOD-DAN-IT
It is on Netflix well at least UK Netflix, that is how I watched it.

rizzo wrote:I'm gonna make a post out of left field because I have nothing to contribute to the current convo. Do you, Dan. And by that I mean do whoever you want. Consensually.

danandphilhq have been posting old photobooth pics of dan and phil and it got me thinking about how inseparable they are. i know we've discussed "codependency" to death or whatever you want to call their attachment, but i'm speaking more to their connection in the public eye.

perhaps it's just me, but i find it almost weird to see one without the other these days. there is absolutely zero level of independence here in terms of their image. even TW? zalfie can go a video or two without mentioning the other. but here we have dan and phil who bring up their other half once every minute on every public platform they have. and what this does is make it weird for me to look at, for example, these old pics where one is without the other and not be slightly thrown.

do they realize they're doing this? is it entirely on purpose for the brand? is this just me? like... i'm beginning to forget the last video i saw where one of them hadn't mentioned the other and it all just reminds me of that time dan said "it's dan. dan-and-phil dan." they're just.... one.

just thinking aloud here, feel free to scroll on by~
Yes. We just assume these days that if they are out (At the cinema, at a restaurant etc) they are out together not separately. They have the same friends and the same interests yes but they work and live together surely they would some time apart. The only time they have been apart latley is when Dan went on a Family holiday to Sri Lanka and Phil went "Up north".

Dan can't go two seconds without mentioning Phil especially in a Liveshow. He had to say what Phil's favourite Anime was even though he did his own Video about it. Like you said not even the other power couple "Zalfie" mention each other that much. They barley speak about each other in videos. Dan and Phil know that the Phandom are relentless and like that they mention the other one so much so maybe it is just for show. maybe notIDK.
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015

Gemini
tol bean
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:38 am

Re: Dan & Phil Part 3: Abs and Angst

Post by Gemini » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:10 am

I find it strange how different men and women are treated when it comes to sexuality.

- A woman hugs and kisses another woman.
- A woman comments saying another woman is sexy or has a nice butt.
Nobody would then say she's a lesbian or bi, they just appreciate a woman's beauty.

- A man hugs and kisses another man.
- A man comments saying another man is sexy or has a nice butt.
He must be gay or bi, because he cant be straight and appreciate other men.

I also don't understand the need to label yourself. I've seen (mostly teenage) girls saying in their posts on Tumblr about how sexy and hot certain male celebs are and that they want to marry them, have their babies etc. Only to go onto their profiles and see things like "I'm a 15 year old genderfluid, asexual lesbian with pansexual tendencies that's sometimes bicurious." And I'm all, "Uh. . .?" It sometimes seems a lot of these labels are turning into some kind of fad. If you just say you're straight, gay or bi then you're not special and unique. I also think that by doing this they're just making it harder for the people who really are genderfluid, trans, pans etc. And if you say something that is in noway hateful or dismissive of somebodies sexuality, instant, "You're a _phobe." I think some of that has to do with people becoming far too PC nowadays. Always reminded me of this gay guy I used to work with when I was in my 20's. Never did any work or try to push his work onto others. When he was fired he tried to sue the company for being homophobic, even though it was his lack of work ethic and not his sexuality that had gotten him fired. I dunno this world be crazy nowadays, cant we just love who we love and that be that. (Unless it's a very inappropriate love in a pedo or incest way).

I'm running on lack of sleep so some of this may not make sense. And this is not meant to be taken in an offensive way.

Locked