Dan & Phil Part 86: here, queer & full of existential fear

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
ijustwantdeath
squish

Also did a bit of casual stalking :sherlock: and found out that Dan unfollowed PewDiePie on both Twitter and Instagram. PewDiePie unfollowed him as well. Now I'm proud of Dan for two reasons :wavingflag:

Phil still follows him though, and Dan still follows Martzia.

Made me curious about how long they've not been mutuals for, as PewDiePie didn't give Dan a supportive tweet after his coming out either.
fun fun fun
Phantasy
woodland creature

Just a thought, but now that they are out (including Phil for all intents and purposes) how wonderful it must be to not have to guard themselves against any public touching or PDA for fear of being outed accidentally or on purpose by spying eyes/cameras. Now they might not be a touchy-feely couple to begin with, but it must be liberating not to have the constant worry or guard up of being outed.
And not to fetishize their relationship (in whatever state it might be), but if they ever re-created a photo like this of Troye and Jacob with their dog, I would drown in tears...
:happytears:
(and Troye and Jacob are by no means a flashy couple, they seem to be quite reserved in that regard, maybe a good model to follow :shrug: )
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

If there's one thing that will never change, it's Phil being chaotically awkward.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Silly boy, awkward bean, what a plonker :roll:

Also I love that that heart eyes photo was Phil being the cheekiest troll with “what does it mean?” about December.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Dan being handy
PolarFox
truth bomb
Pronouns: she/her

flarequake wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:25 pm Dan being handy
Hopefully it’s Dan’s turn on their braincell
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Today in “the phandom makes me laugh, I love it so much”
noodlebum
flower crown

I keep thinking of Vidcon and getting excited by potential vlogs, instastories etc. with their old and newer youtube friends. And just how excited and invigorated for the future they must feel from the last few days :elephant:
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

ijustwantdeath wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:35 pm Also did a bit of casual stalking :sherlock: and found out that Dan unfollowed PewDiePie on both Twitter and Instagram. PewDiePie unfollowed him as well. Now I'm proud of Dan for two reasons :wavingflag:
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Update: he succeeded in his quest
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I love the emphatic 'and back to normality now!' vibe of both of their tweets. I love them so much. Now bring on the regular content resuming!!

(Or don't right away. I actually won't be upset if they give it a couple weeks for new-normal to set in. I'm just so fucking eager to see them onscreen together after so long.)
knq
lava lamp

I love Phil's fake conversation. In general I just kind of love everything right now. :prideheart2:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Dan’s shop is down right now. Looks like new merch might be on the way
AltMay
glabella

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:28 pm This is more commenting on the side of people in phandom policing phandom than that guy's video, but I think what I'm seeing right now is a lot of people seeing Dan talk about what the formation of a fandom around him in 2011 felt like and then reacting with guilt over an era they (mostly) weren't a part of and out of defensiveness for a version of Dan that doesn't exist anymore.

Dan said it right in his video. Communities of people formed to talk about him. It’s okay that he thought it was weird. To be the person at the center of that surely would be. It’s been eight years and he understands it a whole lot better himself right now I’m pretty damn sure. Look at Bryony; even if he didn’t understand it from the POV of being on a wavelength with his fans, their literal irl best friend is also in a fandom for real people.

I understand it was really impactful for people to hear what fandom did to him in 2011, but we can’t fix crimes of the past. Also remember what those crimes were: pictures from his facebook circulated of him and his former friends/girlfriend, people tried to stalk out his brother, people were screenshotting his old (pre-youtube) social media. None of those are fixable right now. Being guilty over something you (probably) weren’t a part of won’t help Dan of 2019. And fanfiction wasn't even really a thing in 2011 in terms of phan? Not that I feel like it really needs to be said here, but it wasn't fanworks he was talking about.

Today, in 2019, fandom already self-polices things that go too far. Look at this forum, even - our rules are formed around keeping the discussion open and free but within the boundaries of what Dan and Phil shared themselves and things that will not invade their privacy. Outside of actual trolls, I'm very content with the level of self-restraint this fandom has with privacy invasion.

And I'll stand firm on the point that discussing things Dan or Phil openly and purposefully shared is not across the line. In 2011, Dan - in his own words - was coming out of a period of self-acceptance. The things he said within that period of self-acceptance were less than two years old but also... public. They were posted publicly. Formsprings were answers to fans and people that liked his videos. Daily booth was a public social media account in which he was so actively advertising that he was celebrating follower milestones. I'm not mad at fans from 2011 reading posts less than two years old and being curious. It fucked Dan up, and that's awful, but those fans didn't know. Because Dan - as was the point in his video - wasn't ready to share why it was so hard for him when he stopped feeling accepting of himself. Regretting what you publicly shared is a really shitty place to be in but regret can't make people un-know things.

Human nature is conversation and speculation and curiosity. Fandom, in particular, draws obsessive personalities. That’s not actually a bad thing, imo. People with the sort of personality like that tend to be sharp, have fantastic memories, problem solvers who want to approach situations actively and not passively, good at managing a lot of information, and perceptive. In a lot of facets of life those are highly sought after qualities. But being unable to passively consume things isn’t something you turn on and off. So people who approach fandom as a hobby but prefer immersive hobbies will, by and large, be the sort of people who find a lot of appeal in speculating and analyzing and discussing. I'm so proud of Dan for putting this video out and drawing his lines about what he will and won't share, but to me that doesn't preclude speculation about his life now in 2019 - he said he takes it as a compliment. He gets it. He's not naive. He understands why they're special. It just means that he's making sure we understand we're not getting answers from him, and I respect that totally.

Basically, and I'm paraphrasing this from someone's post and I can't remember who right now because so many fantastic posts have crossed my dash: nothing that's wrong today wasn't wrong before the video, and nothing that was okay before the video isn't okay now.

(also just slipping back into to add: drawing lines about what you personally feel comfortable with is fine! it's just projecting those onto dan and then pretending what you projected onto dan is an accurate moral judgement of other people is the nope for me)
+1 on this whole post, especially the bolded part. I think setting boundaries in any fan-creator relationship is healthy as long as one is respectful towards other people's boundaries and where the creators want to draw the line. I don't think Dan's words where aimed towards fanwork at all, he was talking about his private life being at risk and that's not what RPF (F stands for fiction btw) is. Also there's a difference between speculating and discussing facts on a forum or blog and actively trying to dig into someone's privacy and trying to expose them.
I'm also not expecting any pda soon cause as he said, they want to keep their relationship private, i think things won't change much in the near future regarding their dynamic. But an icrease on general thirstiness and unapologetic attitude is to be expected and we are NOT PREPARED.

Anyway, just chiming in to say that. Now back to the chaotic tweets they just posted :lol:

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I am gonna riot if there's not "full time internet homo" shirts because I never buy merch, but that merch literally describes my life and I will buy it and wear it everywhere.

(omg it would be the biggest fangirl move ever but considering making a shirt like that and wearing it to vidcon...)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Sorry for the double post. I don't expect PDA at all but I wonder if maybe we'll stop having as many "clearly we put this in there to quell speculation" moments.* They ramped down a LOT in 2017 and 20gayteen, but I hope that they will just go away entirely. But I could see them keeping them up just to keep some mystery about if they're still together.

I do wonder about things like small physical affection at vidcon parties, etc, if they'll temper themselves less (i.e. fetus phan - the Jamaica trip where they were pretty open about physical affection for one another in other people's vlogs).

Whatever they want to do that makes sense for them is great. I just want them to be happy and I'd love to see some joint content again soon because I love seeing them together. Few youtubers have the on-screen chemistry they do.

*E.G. Like the "fight" for the TATINOF bus bedroom. Or the filming one another waking up in separate beds during DITLs, or the "separate hotel rooms on separate floors". Sometimes these things just seemed... infeasible. Or even if they were true (separate hotel rooms) they were included ONLY to add another layer of plausible deniability.
AltMay
glabella

plinthofmylife wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:50 pm I am gonna riot if there's not "full time internet homo" shirts because I never buy merch, but that merch literally describes my life and I will buy it and wear it everywhere.

(omg it would be the biggest fangirl move ever but considering making a shirt like that and wearing it to vidcon...)
Never bought any merch from them but I'd totally buy that. 👌👌

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
kavat
pastel persona

plinthofmylife wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:50 pm I am gonna riot if there's not "full time internet homo" shirts because I never buy merch, but that merch literally describes my life and I will buy it and wear it everywhere.

That would be amazing. Or imagine a Have the courage to exist flag, but the back of it is a pride flag? Or just rainbow colored everything because :gayaf:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Merch or maintenance? I wonder if it's not too soon for merch? Then again, we're all deliriously happy right now, so I'm sure loads of people would love to buy some. :prideheart2: I'm broke af but I can't wait to see the designs if it is merch!!
flarequake
not an airport stalker

It does seem a bit early after just one video, however epic, but they need to have stuff ready in time for VidCon too I guess.
liola
rankussy

When can I start hoping for a mukbang? That would be so good as the first joint video.. surely they'll do one before Vidcon?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ablissa
pastel persona

liola wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:02 pm When can I start hoping for a mukbang? That would be so good as the first joint video.. surely they'll do one before Vidcon?
I wish, but I kind of don't hope for it? I'm thinking after Vidcon seems more plausible but... honestly, after what happened, I'm done placing bets. These two can still surprise us a lot :rainbow:
firsttimeposter
living flop

liola wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:02 pm When can I start hoping for a mukbang? That would be so good as the first joint video.. surely they'll do one before Vidcon?
I think they'd do a mukbang as a kind of "end of year all around conclusion" like they did last year after the tour, so I'm not expecting it until october or november as their new fall tradition. I also don't think dan will do any content before vidcon, though I hope phil will at least show us the kind of direction he hopes his q&a will go - will he expect questions about sexuality, or is he still not ready to talk about it? I would at least hope for a hint to this matter before he goes to vidcon, but you never know. :shrug:
Ablissa
pastel persona

New merch! Not rainbow-themed but still cool? https://shop.danielhowell.com/

I like this one <3
noodlebum
flower crown

No he's NOT wearing a vest?! :o :o