Dan & Phil Part 86: here, queer & full of existential fear

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 pm One thing that's been on my mind was whether their co-workers at the BBC and their management knew about their relationship or not. I don't think everyone knew (looking back on all the comments they said about being attracted to Dan... cause wouldn't that be awkward kind of jokingly flirting with him when Phil was there too?), but I'm thinking specifically Aled, Molly, and Jameela. I'm not sure who handled them at that time, but do you think at least Marianne knew?
My impression is that there was BBC speculation, but people didn't know. Jameela seemed surprised by things, and sometimes like she was speculating and trying to put the pieces together. Mollie wasn't actually on much, right? And Aled is a little interesting to me, partly because he's openly gay, and partly because I was struck by how much they emphasize that they're not friends and they won't talk/see each other outside of work. But that emphasis did make me think that he probably wouldn't know much about them as people.
RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 pm There's also a part of Dan's video which made me curious about who he was referring to. After saying that he basically shut down after people were prying into their relationship, he said this: "Most I'm sure just wanted what was best for me, and I feel such genuine sadness and I'm sorry that I couldn't be closer to and more truthful with the people in my life that were just trying to be nice, but I wasn't ready to deal with it at this time..."

It makes me think that people who really knew him tried to approach Dan (and probably Phil too) and gave him advice on how to deal with their problems, or who just wanted to be there for him at that time. But I think, from the way he said it, that he (they?) didn't really accept that help and decided on his (their?) own way of "containing" their problem. My other thought is that whether this statement extends to the well-intentioned fans who really just wanted them to be happy or if this was limited to people they know irl. I know I'll probably never know the answer to these questions, but I'm curious about what other people think about this. :ribena: :platonic:
This is an interesting question too; I read it as acknowledging that fan speculation was largely well-intentioned, and then saying that there were people in his life that he kept at a distance to maintain the closet even though they would have supported him. But the "trying to be nice" totally could have been a more active and specific thing.
AltMay
glabella

RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 pm One thing that's been on my mind was whether their co-workers at the BBC and their management knew about their relationship or not. I don't think everyone knew (looking back on all the comments they said about being attracted to Dan... cause wouldn't that be awkward kind of jokingly flirting with him when Phil was there too?), but I'm thinking specifically Aled, Molly, and Jameela. I'm not sure who handled them at that time, but do you think at least Marianne knew? (Also, sorry for speculating Dan. :oops: i hope you're not on here. :ribena: )
Well, Nick Grimshaw definitely comes to mindn in this one. But idk, even though they might have been more open at the time i can't bring myself to think they'd have explicitly stated they were together. I think if someone knew was kind of more like a given thing.

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
StripedSquash
smol bean

I keep refreshing IDB hoping to see more opinions and discussions about Dan's video because I'm still not over it 5 days later. So please do post your point of view, because I can't get enough.

I keep rewatching old videos because they really do hit differently after this video. I'm not even talking about cutesy phan stuff even though I watch those too. I'm talking about Dan's formative years and all the comments he has made throughout the years about it. They REALLY hit differently now. I don't know if it's because I'm a lower secondary school teacher and I have seen how cruel and unrelenting kids can be. A lot of kids are racist, homophobic and generally shit human beings. It kills me that some of my students might be going through similar things. And I live in what is probably one of the most tolerant and open countries in the world and I can't even comprehend what it must be like in other parts of the world. The first thing I did the day after the video was to order a pride-ally bracelet to wear just to do something.

Another thing I can't get over is my personal guilt. I feel guilty for prying into their personal lives by enjoying the findings of other peoples outright stalking and for looking for information deppy didn't post themselves. I've never been an active participant in the phandom but I sure do know everything there is to 'know' about them. I'm also a shit human being because I know myself well enough to know I probably will continue to 'enjoy' and seek out that type of information because I want to know.

And then there is the fact that he just came out to his family. Like, how is that even possible? How do you hide your soulmate for 10 years? I get that it is quite normal for lgbt+ people, but his family must have 'known' in some capacity, right?

Subsequently, I also wonder about who did know, especially in the Youtube community + BBC. The pressure they must have feeling from all sides by some well-meaning and other not so well-meaning peers and the phandom. Also, the fear of being outed when your not even out to your closest family. Having to hide the love of your life by calling him a platonic roommate and denying rumors. I mean, it must have hurt them personally and as a couple in so many ways even if they wanted privacy.(Yes, don't come at me for believing they were and are still a couple).

I don't think I'll ever be over this video. I'm a (mostly :D ) straight white female from a priviliged family, but this video has hit me so hard that I haven't gotten anything remotely useful done since.
anathema
morning quiff

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 pm Also, hmmm.
At this point I'm sure it definitely isn't him, but I'm surprised at how nonplussed he is over it. I know it's been nearly 6 years since he's tweeted from that account and that it was just to hold the username, but wouldn't it be at least a little concerning someone managed to hack into the account?

AltMay wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:15 pm
RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:41 pm One thing that's been on my mind was whether their co-workers at the BBC and their management knew about their relationship or not. I don't think everyone knew (looking back on all the comments they said about being attracted to Dan... cause wouldn't that be awkward kind of jokingly flirting with him when Phil was there too?), but I'm thinking specifically Aled, Molly, and Jameela. I'm not sure who handled them at that time, but do you think at least Marianne knew? (Also, sorry for speculating Dan. :oops: i hope you're not on here. :ribena: )
Well, Nick Grimshaw definitely comes to mindn in this one. But idk, even though they might have been more open at the time i can't bring myself to think they'd have explicitly stated they were together. I think if someone knew was kind of more like a given thing.
I feel like none of them knew, accept maybe their manager? Or whoever issued their paycheck if they had a joint bank account. But remember that whole top/bottom bunk thing? Idr exactly who was involved in that but I certainly hope none of them knew the truth if they were publicly talking about d&p in that context.

Also slightly off topic, who was the BBC person who talked about d&p being asleep on the couch together after a party? I want to say it was Nick but I'm not sure. I don't 100% remember what was said but again, I feel like whoever said it must not have known the truth or else they would've kept more hush hush.
"The saltiness reminds me of my tears."
pearshaped34
morning quiff

anathema wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:04 am Also slightly off topic, who was the BBC person who talked about d&p being asleep on the couch together after a party? I want to say it was Nick but I'm not sure. I don't 100% remember what was said but again, I feel like whoever said it must not have known the truth or else they would've kept more hush hush.
That was Nick Grimshaw.

My personal opinion is they didn't tell anyone at Radio 1. There was a lot of coupely jokes about them (mostly on the Scott Mills show during real or no real) however I still think the jokes were more because they were aware they had a fanbase that shipped them and not because anyone knew they were together.

Matt Edmondson who I recall made the joke about them going on holiday together on the radio (I think they were at a YT convention) and said he imagined they were on a romantic vacation together reacted to Dan's video but his the only person from the radio I think has. However the way his comment on the radio was made I don't think he knew at the time. (Also I feel like it might be one of the few Dan didn't like but if I'm right he may just have missed it as they played his Obama Llama game on the gaming channel so doubt they have issues with him).
I am quite curious though if they were only telling close friends (which we don't know for sure) how often they denied it to fellow youtubers or radio colleagues etc. Because honestly I can't imagine everyone was always too polite to ask them. In fact I suspect they were probably asked a lot.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

I want to assume Marianne knew. When they have had a manager between the two of them for so many years, I feel like that would come up. Especially because there is established trust in the professional relationship? (and she toured with them twice), and as for most people not in inner-circles if they “knew” it was about the same as us, speculating and safely assuming.
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

coffeepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:01 pm
Grey wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:54 pm I’m thinking about the alternate timeline where dan posted that video last June and I’m kind of confused about it. If he had posted it then... they would have finished their tour with this being public knowledge? Would that even be safe? Also, the last PINOF would have been uploaded with this being public knowledge?!?! That’s so weird to me.
I don’t have a point. It’s just something I’ve been pondering.
yeah I've been wondering, too! One of the first things I rewatched after seeing Dan's coming out video is that one liveshow he did after "Trying to Live My Truth" where he was being VERY DEFENSIVE about people "detecting penises" in what he said. And it's not like it actually "hits differently", as them kids say, because even then it was obvious he hadn't quite thought it through and was backtracking, but as I was watching it, now with the knowledge of what he went through, and thinking about how I just want to give him a hug, I was also struck by the realisation that in that liveshow he didn't seem in any way prepared to drop a coming out video going into even half as much details about his life as the one that we ended with. In the mukbang, Phil talked about Dan's breakdown before the start of II and how because of it Phil wasn't certain, until the very last moment, that they would be able to do it at all. I wonder if Dan's conflicted feelings about coming out, all while thinking about his relationship with his audience, as it was the show's central theme, is what caused that.
I have been dead for a year but I need to comment on this because I think there is more to follow here.
I'm sure everyone wonders every single day since Thursday "why did Dan share that much on the video and how is it going to play on future videos?".
It has been said that the hiatus was because they wanted to recharge their creative batteries and come back pretty much doing the kind of videos they really wanted to? That's what I remember.

But If what you said up there is true and Dan wanted to come out last year but defo wasn't ready and had such a meltdown Phil thought they were going to have to cancel II, what does that imply?

The show was all about interacting with the fans and let them take over and control a lot of the topics. Even if he and Phil didn't choose some options from the submissions on the website they were definitely going to see them, and that would've definitely affected Dan if we consider the past and how sensitive he was, even after so long. If he wasn't ready and he admitted to being queer and probs outed philip with him...

So why now? Because he is finally content and in a happy place and feels like Youtube is a better, accepting place? If that is the case... what is this new content they want to put out there? I do sense he will talk about sexuality the same way he did about mental health. His VidCon panel will be a mixture of how oppressing that part of himself triggered some mental health problems but, Dan will still be Dan, right? That is one of the things that video proved so how will he approach the rest of his videos? Like nothing happened and just slip a dick joke in there but no backtracking?
And what about Phi... will they keep the gaming channel alive? (this is my main concern because it's my main source of happiness but I will accept its faith)

Please share your theories on this topic because I really want to know what this next chapter will imply.

(super happy for dan and phil btw :prideflag: )
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Possum
squish

snoopysadie wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 am
Grey wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:54 pm I’m thinking about the alternate timeline where dan posted that video last June and I’m kind of confused about it. If he had posted it then... they would have finished their tour with this being public knowledge? Would that even be safe? Also, the last PINOF would have been uploaded with this being public knowledge?!?! That’s so weird to me.
yeah I've been wondering, too! One of the first things I rewatched after seeing Dan's coming out video is that one liveshow he did after "Trying to Live My Truth" where he was being VERY DEFENSIVE about people "detecting penises" in what he said. And it's not like it actually "hits differently", as them kids say, because even then it was obvious he hadn't quite thought it through and was backtracking, but as I was watching it, now with the knowledge of what he went through, and thinking about how I just want to give him a hug, I was also struck by the realisation that in that liveshow he didn't seem in any way prepared to drop a coming out video going into even half as much details about his life as the one that we ended with. In the mukbang, Phil talked about Dan's breakdown before the start of II and how because of it Phil wasn't certain, until the very last moment, that they would be able to do it at all. I wonder if Dan's conflicted feelings about coming out, all while thinking about his relationship with his audience, as it was the show's central theme, is what caused that.
I have been dead for a year but I need to comment on this because I think there is more to follow here.
I'm sure everyone wonders every single day since Thursday "why did Dan share that much on the video and how is it going to play on future videos?".
It has been said that the hiatus was because they wanted to recharge their creative batteries and come back pretty much doing the kind of videos they really wanted to? That's what I remember.

But If what you said up there is true and Dan wanted to come out last year but defo wasn't ready and had such a meltdown Phil thought they were going to have to cancel II, what does that imply?

The show was all about interacting with the fans and let them take over and control a lot of the topics. Even if he and Phil didn't choose some options from the submissions on the website they were definitely going to see them, and that would've definitely affected Dan if we consider the past and how sensitive he was, even after so long. If he wasn't ready and he admitted to being queer and probs outed philip with him...

So why now? Because he is finally content and in a happy place and feels like Youtube is a better, accepting place?
This is a really interesting point. What would have happened in an alternate universe where "Basically I'm Gay" came out prior to II? Would a lot have changed, show-wise and personal-wise? It might have, I'm not sure.

I'm not surprised Dan was thinking about making this video last year (it's probably been a video he's been wanting to make for quite a while). But as opposed to 2019, where they have a huge stretch of time in front of them to creatively do whatever they want, in 2018, they had a huge tour to think about too. (Not that there's necessarily a 'right time' to come out, as long as you feel safe and ready.) But in some ways, I think that last year he would have had to treat this video as a business decision, not just a personal one. Which must be pretty hard, when the subject of the video has given you so much stress already.

In terms of the tour, I think it would have been stressful to think of 'what if this becomes the main focus of the tour?'- like @snoopysadie mentioned, there was a lot of fan-submitted content involved. Even though they still had a degree of control over that, the unpredictability of that still could have been scary.

And logistically, I wonder if it would have been more difficult for them to secure venues in certain places (idk how that works or if something like this could affect that). Or maybe some of their younger audience members would have homophobic parents who wouldn't let them attend a show put on by two openly queer guys. That's got to add a lot of stress, when you know it's not just your own happiness at stake, but also the success of a huge project you've been planning with multiple others.

It's understandable why all of these factors and this level of uncertainty might've contributed to the breakdown they mentioned Dan having last year! Thinking of coming out (to family and to millions of followers- which is more stressful?!), on top of planning a world tour, is a lot.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Still got a few weeks until Vidcon, wonder if they’ll slip off for a holiday either before or after... it’s been a while since they’ve been on a couples holiday somewhere (unless they’ve flown completely under radar).
bevioletsky
glabella

StripedSquash wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 pm I keep refreshing IDB hoping to see more opinions and discussions about Dan's video because I'm still not over it 5 days later. So please do post your point of view, because I can't get enough.
Well, since you asked. I’ve been so emotional over this video since it was released, I didn’t sleep at all on Thursday night and for the first few days it was all I could think about. My fault for getting stupidly invested in these guys, I guess. But it just felt so surreal that this was even a thing that existed, I would just suddenly be hit by that fact while doing whatever and look like a lunatic while walking outside grinning to myself. It still feels surreal, but it has kind of started to sink in a little bit these past couple of days.

I think I’ve now watched it four times completely? And well, from the very first time it’s been obvious just how well-made it is and how much thought and planning went into it. I mean, he took his time, it must have been a year in the making in some capacity at least. But I really appreciate that every small detail from the art to the background music to the editing seems to have been so thoroughly thought out. One of the reasons its existence feels surreal to me is probably the fact that, like many others, I never thought his (or their) coming out would be this public and emphatic. I definitely thought a video on sexuality was possible, even probable based on TTLMT and the comment in a liveshow about moving forward with intent, but this was the kind of statement resulting in articles and the attention of the whole internet that I never dared to expect. I’m glad he did it though, because it resulted in such a magnificent video but also because it clearly was something he wanted to and needed to do, in his words, to move forward in his life. The relief he must have felt afterwards was palpable from the tweets and insta stories over the weekend.

I said in my post after first watching the video that, to me, many aspects of it weren’t surprising but as many and more were. One strange-but-not-surprising thing was to hear him talk about how the sudden blowing up of his youtube career and the change of his relationship with his audience made him scared and caused him to “shut down” and retreat firmly back into the closet. It felt strange and confirmatory because I feel like this is pretty in line with what the fandom understanding of that era was. Him bringing up the old formsprings (with screenshots and all) and referencing the general defensive behaviour on his part from around 2012 felt unreal, I would imagine even more so for people who were actually around back then. All of it makes me feel sad and hugely empathetic towards him. Still, I’m not really here for the general feeling of guilt and admonishment over fandom behaviour by some. To me, invasive questions and demands and prying into information that is not public and actual stalking are rather easily distinguishable and very different from general speculation and fanworks – two things without which it is pretty difficult for me to see how the fandom could even exist. I understand it must have been bloody strange when it first started to happen, and I would never want it to happen to myself – but then again, I would never want to be a public figure in the way that he is and, not to sound unempathetic here, but I just kind of think it comes with his particular job. Their fandom has had a huge part in driving their success, which I think they understand, and they always seem to speak very kindly of their audience. I didn’t feel like Dan meant to admonish us or even fully their audience back then when he condoned invasions of his privacy.

He told us so much more about his early life story than I ever would have imagined, and unfortunately it was so much worse than I would have expected. We knew before that he had been bullied at school, and he had made references to his family life and growing up not being the greatest as well, but my heart just breaks for him over and over again every time I watch or even think about what he told in the video. It is so completely inexcusable that anyone, let alone a child, must go through something like that. The continuous bullying, the abuse, the suicide attempt – I find it hard to wrap my head around it all and all I can really say is that I am so fucking sorry. And that I’m so happy it got so much better for him, because he truly deserves it. This line was one that really hit me: “boys will be boys, especially the gay ones that get killed by the other ones, am I right?” Ouch. I’m always impressed with his ability to balance humour with serious topics, because the video manages to often be really funny despite all the heavy shit that is included. I haven’t really seen this mentioned, understandably so because it’s a highly sensitive issue and there’s nothing to go on and it’s not even directly related to the topic of the video, but immediately after the line I quoted, he talks about home and how he didn’t think he could ask anyone for help there and mentions “economic class, violence, addiction, and health issues” and all I can say is oh, Dan and how sorry for him I feel all over again. Also, he doesn’t exactly give a great impression of his father in the video, does he. That’s all I’m going to say about all that. He said in Daniel and Depression, I think, that growing up all his environments were bad and that really seems to have been the case.

Something that absolutely fills my heart so much that it feels like it could burst is the way he talks about Phil in the video. I could just quote that whole minute or so when he talks about them, but this is already quite long, so I won’t. But all the descriptive words he uses, how he says they’re soulmates despite souls not existing because he can’t seem to come up with a better word, how he says he felt safe with Phil for the first time since being a small child – I could cry. Imagine having someone talk about you in that way, I certainly can’t. And I’m glad he feels complimented by people’s interest in their relationship; I’m glad he knows how good they are together and how it shows. (Side note: SZA’s Supermodel just played and my brain, being on its dnp-mode, automatically connected these particular lines to them: “Ooh just get a load of them, they got chemistry / All they could say, we like brother and sister / Look so good together / Bet they fucking for real, and they was right”. Hm. The rest of the song isn’t applicable at all, it’s about an ex-relationship of hers, but do listen to Ctrl if you haven’t and are in the mood for some modern rnb, it’s still great. Sorry about my music wankery interrupting the post.) On the topic of Phil, something that speaks volumes about the trust between them is how Dan, outed doesn’t feel like the right word because obviously this had been discussed beforehand, but inevitably disclosed things about Phil’s sexuality as well by talking about them in the video. And then Phil came in with the tweet afterwards and I’m just eternally left speechless by how sweet they are.

The most surprising thing about the video to me by far was how Dan came out to his family just this month. I’m actually a bit stunned about it still, I would never in a million years have guessed he wasn’t out to them. I always would have presumed that it would have logically been the case because of his relationship with Phil if not for anything else. Just on a very practical level, we know how they met and how frequently Dan travelled up north to see Phil from the beginning, and surely him meeting this guy and seemingly wanting to spend all his time with him would seem curious at the very least, if not looked through some pretty fucking strong heteronormative lens. But perhaps I am underestimating the strength of that lens, as well as being generally narrow-minded about the situation and privileged with the information of their online behaviour back then. But then in addition to the early days there’s all the years of living together and, well, all of it. I wonder how much they truly did and didn’t know and/or suspect – they certainly didn’t seem massively surprised based on the responses that Dan showed in the video. I suppose his coming out may have been more of a case of saying the words and putting it in explicit terms, but still. Stunned.

I need to actually get on with my morning, so I have no time to write more even if I probably could, but congrats to whomever read all of that, especially since I doubt there was much anything there that hasn’t already been said multiple times over. I feel overwhelmingly happy for Dan that all of it seems to have gone well with the public and his family, I hope that he feels accepted by the amazing response the video got. Saying that, I also look at the 44k dislikes on the video currently and am reminded of how important this video is in so many ways with all the messages it sends. I’m so proud of him, I’m proud of Phil too, and I hope they can move forward with the kind of sense of freedom that they didn’t have before. I’ve been loving the regular tweets and am excited about whatever they’re going to do next. I rewatched the mukbang on Monday and would love a chill video like that, especially because I will miss liveshows forever if they never come back, but eh. I’m fine with whatever, really.
noodlebum
flower crown

^^ great post!

I was just thinking, from the topic before, that Dan said he was out to his closest friends, so I guess it just depends on who he would count under that title.
felucca
truth bomb

Wow.

Thought I'd make a post a lot earlier than this but my brain's still reeling honestly - and anyway I'm busy editing phan videos. :lol: Hopefully everybody's forgotten about me and my claims of forgetting about D&P because I'm 100% demon and that's just the truth.

@StripedSquash I felt that post, ouch. Especially that bit about Dan's formative years. It makes me happy to hear you're a teacher, you seem like a good one. I'm the only one in my family who isn't a teacher, and it was for exactly this reason I chose not to become one - I know I couldn't deal with the responsiblity you face every single day.

As for personal guilt... Yeah, uh, sorry about lubegate and, uh, stuff.

My favourite stalker-y thing I ever accomplished in this phandom is my timeline of all the times D&P met in real life before Dan moved to Manchester (it's in the FAQ but I'll put a summary under a spoiler tag). Working on that is what made me finally commit to believing they were a thing, because I just couldn't wrap my head around two friends being so goddamn obsessive about seeing each other all the freaking time lmao. The way Dan spent their first Valentine's Day in India with his family, but went to see Phil the literal moment he got home, sure hits differently now.
Timeline of Dan & Phil's IRL meetings
before they both moved to Manchester

This is a timeline of Dan & Phil's early meetings, before they moved to live in the same city. It includes how often they traveled to see each other, how long they stayed for, and what they did (that we know of). At the time, Phil lived in Manchester and Dan in Reading, which is a 3½ hour train journey.
Visual version:

pink: #confirmed - they definitely spent this time together
blue: debatable - maybe they did, maybe not (not sure when they left/arrived)
grey: no possibility of seeing each other, because of vacation or similar
white: they did not spend this time together, period
Text version:
  • October 19-21 – First meeting
    (October 28-30 Phil's in Dublin)
    October 31-November 1 – SitC and Halloween Gathering
    November 6-9 – ApartmentRED + lion nakedbooth
    November 29-December 4 – "That" week (actually it was six days, mind blown)
    December 10-14 – General D&P hangout, Christmas gathering
    December 22-24 – Filming the Christmas special
    December 30-January 2 – New Year’s in London, then Phil visits Dan
  • January 15-17 – Avatar in 3D, failed attempt at going to the Sheffield gathering
    January ?22-24 – Dan visits Phil (don't know when he got there but likely a weekend trip)
    (February 5-19 Dan's in India)
    February 20-24 – Dan visits Phil after India, they make pancakes and stuff
    March 5-9 – Phil visits Dan
    March 16-21 – Phil visits Dan again
    (March 31-April 6 Phil's in Isle of Man)
    April 17-26 – Planned trip to Portugal becomes trip to Blackpool instead bc rude volcano, then they film Pinof 2
    (April 27-May 16 Phil's in Florida)
    May 19-21 or 22 – London -> AmazingDan -> Thorpe amusement park (unclear when Phil left, probably the 21st but could have been the 22nd too)
    May 27-June 3 – New date for the Portugal trip, yay
    June 11-18 – Went to L.A. with Bryony, PJ and others for E3
    June 26 or 27-July 6 or 7 – Dan visits Phil and play lots of video games (unclear when Dan arrived and left)
    July 26-August 5 or 6 – Youtuber trip to Jamaica + D&P hangout (unclear when Dan left)
    (August 7-8 - Dan's at SitC while Phil is apartment hunting)
    August ?15-21 – Dan visits Phil’s new apartment, films Truth or Dare 2 (Dan might have gotten there before the 15th)
    (August 25-30 - Dan's at Reading festival with his friends)
    August 31-September 12 – At Phil's place, StickAID collabs and Muse concert
    (September 16 - Dan moves to Manchester!)
Note: As you can see the dates start getting a bit patchy in 2010. This is because Phil stopped dailyboothing completely and Dan's booths grew very infrequent. They also stopped tweeting every single time they went to a train station, which is just unhelpful tbh.
It's funny. I didn't think I was that heavily invested in D&P anymore as I've been just a casual fan for 2-3 years now, but this whole thing's brought everything back with a vengeance. All I want to do is lock myself in a room for a month and watch every single video they ever made. I remember people theorizing that them not coming out was a marketing strategy(!) because the mystery was what kept their channels alive and if they ever did confirm or deny phan they'd lose all their subscribers. Big fat belly-laugh at that. Dan and Phil are just too damn powerful and I'm living for it.

+1 to everyone who's saying they didn't expect to get this much. Watching Dan's video was gratifying closure and horrifying realisation all rolled into one and it's going to take a while to unpack all of it. I wonder if it was an intended side-effect of bombing us with so much information all at once that not one single thing got too much attention - not even phan.

Lastly, a shoutout to Phil, whose tweet is my favourite thing about this whole coming out, god tier tweet honestly. Didn't think anything could live up to Dan's video, and then Phil did :stan:
dat veniam corvis, vexat censura columbas

:dh:
kavat
pastel persona

Thinking about dog names, are we?
glitterintheair
phillluminati

kavat wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:42 pm Thinking about dog names, are we?
the dogbaiting is STRONG here, I swear it got me feeling some type of way.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
noodlebum
flower crown

The answer is definitely human names - a cat called Roger or dog called Fred is the dream in my home :lol:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I’m so glad Phil is alive and hitting us with a dog tweet.

Now we wait for Dan’s third tweet this week about stairs.
ravenreyes
sofa crease

i've just been thinking about how things are going to be going forward, i don't really know what to expect bc i never expected the past week to happen in the first place.
and while a part of me wants something like the mukbang video or for dapg to come back (please), i wouldn't blame them if they'd want to mostly just chill before vidcon bc that's probably going to be a lot.

also while i don't really think how they interact on camera or in public is going to change or anything, just having it all out there in the open has to be a relief. now that people know that neither of them are straight and that they have been/are in a relationship and not have to worry about being outed or people finding out before they were ready to say anything.
and not that it matters, but i am also curious though about who knew about them through them. vs like second hand or assuming. :shrug:

idk, maybe i'm projecting. i just still can't stop thinking about everything that's happened since dan posted the video lmao.
also i constantly just want to hug them :prideheart2:
english is not my first language
noodlebum
flower crown

I think Dan's excited to use his position and platform to do good, much like with Young Minds, so may reflect that on the odd occasion in relevant videos/panels regarding gender/sexuality as well as mental health. Not sure about Phil though, he's always avoided heavy topics.

I do wonder about the joint/gaming channel returning - selfishly I hope so, as it was my favourite content, even if it's only twice a month so they don't feel burnt out/like it's a chore. Guess it's all about what they want to do though and what they enjoy. Maybe the break has made them invigorated to work together again, in some aspect?
cocolero
squish

Hoi.

It just occurred to me that there must be a pile of deleted-for-gayness outtakes and bloopers somewhere.

I demand.
noodlebum
flower crown

cocolero wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:59 pm Hoi.

It just occurred to me that there must be a pile of deleted-for-gayness outtakes and bloopers somewhere.

I demand.
OMG imagine that, 'DanAndPhilGames Bloopers: Gay edition' :gayaf:
ravenreyes
sofa crease

all of that sounds likely. i never paid that much attention to vidcon and similiar things other than maybe a panel here or there so i never really know what to expect from it. all of it just gives me too much second hand embarrassment i can't handle it lol.

i'd like to think they would be clear if the gaming channel was actually over and not just leave it on a hiatus forever. and yeah, the break + them not planning something big like the tour (as far as i know at least) make me somewhat hopeful about it.
english is not my first language
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

cocolero wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:59 pm It just occurred to me that there must be a pile of deleted-for-gayness outtakes and bloopers somewhere.
I genuinely thought they would always "come out" by just releasing those bloopers I know exist. That being said, between Gaymingmas 2017 - end of DAPG I can't imagine much gayness ended up on the cutting room floor since they left a ton of jokes about liking looking at penises and boys and all the innuendo in in (unless it was *more* affectionate stuff between the two of them, which I don't think they would release that**.)

Also feel like Ladydoor has just a whole nother level of gay humor in this era.

**Also but seriously who knows anymore?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

pearshaped34 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:42 am My personal opinion is they didn't tell anyone at Radio 1. There was a lot of coupely jokes about them (mostly on the Scott Mills show during real or no real) however I still think the jokes were more because they were aware they had a fanbase that shipped them and not because anyone knew they were together.
I also think no one at Radio 1 new. I think a lot of people suspected, some with more tact than others - but there may have also been some general assumptions that their glass closet at that point was meant to be more transparent than it was. Someone like Nick Grimshaw, a gay man himself, may have looked at the situation and thought that Dan and Phil (who openly lived together, worked together, were not pretending to date anyone else, etc) were in the 'yes, we know it's obvious, we're just not gonna say it' phase that didn't come for a few more years yet. That's just me trying to give people the benefit of the doubt, though. It's also a cruel fact that some public figures just don't mind joking about the sexuality of other people to their audience.
sonicgreen wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:01 am I want to assume Marianne knew. When they have had a manager between the two of them for so many years, I feel like that would come up. Especially because there is established trust in the professional relationship? (and she toured with them twice), and as for most people not in inner-circles if they “knew” it was about the same as us, speculating and safely assuming.
I would also assume Marianne knew. Something like that seems fairly important information for a person who acts somewhat as a shield for them in public situations, or at least as their advocate.
Possum wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:24 am
snoopysadie wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:16 am

So why now? Because he is finally content and in a happy place and feels like Youtube is a better, accepting place?
This is a really interesting point. What would have happened in an alternate universe where "Basically I'm Gay" came out prior to II? Would a lot have changed, show-wise and personal-wise? It might have, I'm not sure.
I'm not surprised Dan was thinking about making this video last year (it's probably been a video he's been wanting to make for quite a while). But as opposed to 2019, where they have a huge stretch of time in front of them to creatively do whatever they want, in 2018, they had a huge tour to think about too. (Not that there's necessarily a 'right time' to come out, as long as you feel safe and ready.) But in some ways, I think that last year he would have had to treat this video as a business decision, not just a personal one. Which must be pretty hard, when the subject of the video has given you so much stress already.

In terms of the tour, I think it would have been stressful to think of 'what if this becomes the main focus of the tour?'- like @snoopysadie mentioned, there was a lot of fan-submitted content involved. Even though they still had a degree of control over that, the unpredictability of that still could have been scary.
And logistically, I wonder if it would have been more difficult for them to secure venues in certain places (idk how that works or if something like this could affect that). Or maybe some of their younger audience members would have homophobic parents who wouldn't let them attend a show put on by two openly queer guys. That's got to add a lot of stress, when you know it's not just your own happiness at stake, but also the success of a huge project you've been planning with multiple others.

It's understandable why all of these factors and this level of uncertainty might've contributed to the breakdown they mentioned Dan having last year! Thinking of coming out (to family and to millions of followers- which is more stressful?!), on top of planning a world tour, is a lot.
I have a feeling like making the blowjob joke in TTLMT then backtracking and his breakdown following might have been the turning point for Dan realizing he couldn't continue to live his life being afraid of commitment to some things. (Which is how I took his comment in the video - not commitment as in commitment issues with relationships/Phil but to concepts and labels and things that have lifelong impact that he cannot take back once they're out there.) In that regard I do believe he was thinking of making the video last June, but I also think that as the posts I quoted very eloquently say, there are a lot of logistical reasons why that video didn't happen a year ago. I also imagine since this is part of Phil's journey too he might have had a say in exactly when it was posted. That's not the sort of thing Dan could do if Phil wasn't ready, too. In the end, I think waiting the extra year was a very healthy thing for Dan and also having the past six months to privately reflect and kinda live their life probably helped their confidence in this being the right move for Dan/for both of them right now.
bevioletsky wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:16 am
StripedSquash wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:34 pm I keep refreshing IDB hoping to see more opinions and discussions about Dan's video because I'm still not over it 5 days later. So please do post your point of view, because I can't get enough.
Well, since you asked. I’ve been so emotional over this video since it was released, I didn’t sleep at all on Thursday night and for the first few days it was all I could think about. My fault for getting stupidly invested in these guys, I guess. But it just felt so surreal that this was even a thing that existed, I would just suddenly be hit by that fact while doing whatever and look like a lunatic while walking outside grinning to myself. It still feels surreal, but it has kind of started to sink in a little bit these past couple of days.

I think I’ve now watched it four times completely? And well, from the very first time it’s been obvious just how well-made it is and how much thought and planning went into it. I mean, he took his time, it must have been a year in the making in some capacity at least. But I really appreciate that every small detail from the art to the background music to the editing seems to have been so thoroughly thought out. One of the reasons its existence feels surreal to me is probably the fact that, like many others, I never thought his (or their) coming out would be this public and emphatic. I definitely thought a video on sexuality was possible, even probable based on TTLMT and the comment in a liveshow about moving forward with intent, but this was the kind of statement resulting in articles and the attention of the whole internet that I never dared to expect. I’m glad he did it though, because it resulted in such a magnificent video but also because it clearly was something he wanted to and needed to do, in his words, to move forward in his life. The relief he must have felt afterwards was palpable from the tweets and insta stories over the weekend.

I said in my post after first watching the video that, to me, many aspects of it weren’t surprising but as many and more were. One strange-but-not-surprising thing was to hear him talk about how the sudden blowing up of his youtube career and the change of his relationship with his audience made him scared and caused him to “shut down” and retreat firmly back into the closet. It felt strange and confirmatory because I feel like this is pretty in line with what the fandom understanding of that era was. Him bringing up the old formsprings (with screenshots and all) and referencing the general defensive behaviour on his part from around 2012 felt unreal, I would imagine even more so for people who were actually around back then. All of it makes me feel sad and hugely empathetic towards him. Still, I’m not really here for the general feeling of guilt and admonishment over fandom behaviour by some. To me, invasive questions and demands and prying into information that is not public and actual stalking are rather easily distinguishable and very different from general speculation and fanworks – two things without which it is pretty difficult for me to see how the fandom could even exist. I understand it must have been bloody strange when it first started to happen, and I would never want it to happen to myself – but then again, I would never want to be a public figure in the way that he is and, not to sound unempathetic here, but I just kind of think it comes with his particular job. Their fandom has had a huge part in driving their success, which I think they understand, and they always seem to speak very kindly of their audience. I didn’t feel like Dan meant to admonish us or even fully their audience back then when he condoned invasions of his privacy.

He told us so much more about his early life story than I ever would have imagined, and unfortunately it was so much worse than I would have expected. We knew before that he had been bullied at school, and he had made references to his family life and growing up not being the greatest as well, but my heart just breaks for him over and over again every time I watch or even think about what he told in the video. It is so completely inexcusable that anyone, let alone a child, must go through something like that. The continuous bullying, the abuse, the suicide attempt – I find it hard to wrap my head around it all and all I can really say is that I am so fucking sorry. And that I’m so happy it got so much better for him, because he truly deserves it. This line was one that really hit me: “boys will be boys, especially the gay ones that get killed by the other ones, am I right?” Ouch. I’m always impressed with his ability to balance humour with serious topics, because the video manages to often be really funny despite all the heavy shit that is included. I haven’t really seen this mentioned, understandably so because it’s a highly sensitive issue and there’s nothing to go on and it’s not even directly related to the topic of the video, but immediately after the line I quoted, he talks about home and how he didn’t think he could ask anyone for help there and mentions “economic class, violence, addiction, and health issues” and all I can say is oh, Dan and how sorry for him I feel all over again. Also, he doesn’t exactly give a great impression of his father in the video, does he. That’s all I’m going to say about all that. He said in Daniel and Depression, I think, that growing up all his environments were bad and that really seems to have been the case.

Something that absolutely fills my heart so much that it feels like it could burst is the way he talks about Phil in the video. I could just quote that whole minute or so when he talks about them, but this is already quite long, so I won’t. But all the descriptive words he uses, how he says they’re soulmates despite souls not existing because he can’t seem to come up with a better word, how he says he felt safe with Phil for the first time since being a small child – I could cry. Imagine having someone talk about you in that way, I certainly can’t. And I’m glad he feels complimented by people’s interest in their relationship; I’m glad he knows how good they are together and how it shows. (Side note: SZA’s Supermodel just played and my brain, being on its dnp-mode, automatically connected these particular lines to them: “Ooh just get a load of them, they got chemistry / All they could say, we like brother and sister / Look so good together / Bet they fucking for real, and they was right”. Hm. The rest of the song isn’t applicable at all, it’s about an ex-relationship of hers, but do listen to Ctrl if you haven’t and are in the mood for some modern rnb, it’s still great. Sorry about my music wankery interrupting the post.) On the topic of Phil, something that speaks volumes about the trust between them is how Dan, outed doesn’t feel like the right word because obviously this had been discussed beforehand, but inevitably disclosed things about Phil’s sexuality as well by talking about them in the video. And then Phil came in with the tweet afterwards and I’m just eternally left speechless by how sweet they are.
The most surprising thing about the video to me by far was how Dan came out to his family just this month. I’m actually a bit stunned about it still, I would never in a million years have guessed he wasn’t out to them. I always would have presumed that it would have logically been the case because of his relationship with Phil if not for anything else. Just on a very practical level, we know how they met and how frequently Dan travelled up north to see Phil from the beginning, and surely him meeting this guy and seemingly wanting to spend all his time with him would seem curious at the very least, if not looked through some pretty fucking strong heteronormative lens. But perhaps I am underestimating the strength of that lens, as well as being generally narrow-minded about the situation and privileged with the information of their online behaviour back then. But then in addition to the early days there’s all the years of living together and, well, all of it. I wonder how much they truly did and didn’t know and/or suspect – they certainly didn’t seem massively surprised based on the responses that Dan showed in the video. I suppose his coming out may have been more of a case of saying the words and putting it in explicit terms, but still. Stunned.
I need to actually get on with my morning, so I have no time to write more even if I probably could, but congrats to whomever read all of that, especially since I doubt there was much anything there that hasn’t already been said multiple times over. I feel overwhelmingly happy for Dan that all of it seems to have gone well with the public and his family, I hope that he feels accepted by the amazing response the video got. Saying that, I also look at the 44k dislikes on the video currently and am reminded of how important this video is in so many ways with all the messages it sends. I’m so proud of him, I’m proud of Phil too, and I hope they can move forward with the kind of sense of freedom that they didn’t have before. I’ve been loving the regular tweets and am excited about whatever they’re going to do next. I rewatched the mukbang on Monday and would love a chill video like that, especially because I will miss liveshows forever if they never come back, but eh. I’m fine with whatever, really.
This whole post is amazing and I'm quoting it all because everyone should read it, but the bit I left out from under spoiler cuts is the part I want to specifically reply to. I really think that the last line sums it up; his coming out was a case of saying the words. I think in the video he also makes it clear he doesn't think anyone in his life or that knows him thinks he's straight. But there is a difference, a personal courage and a sense of accomplishment, with saying the words and knowing someone doesn't just 'know' because they have functional observational skills, but because you told them. I think his family all had pretty decent responses in that regard but there was, as you said, no sense of surprise.

A lot of this video hit me pretty hard, but this part specifically has had me thinking nonstop. I hope one day I feel as brave as Dan was, because I'm 34 and I've had it confirmed by the one person in my family i came out to that yeah, everyone knows, but I have never and still don't feel comfortable coming out in a broad way. But as cheesy as it sounds, Dan's giving me hope that one day I might.
felucca wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:50 am My favourite stalker-y thing I ever accomplished in this phandom is my timeline of all the times D&P met in real life before Dan moved to Manchester (it's in the FAQ but I'll put a summary under a spoiler tag). Working on that is what made me finally commit to believing they were a thing, because I just couldn't wrap my head around two friends being so goddamn obsessive about seeing each other all the freaking time lmao. The way Dan spent their first Valentine's Day in India with his family, but went to see Phil the literal moment he got home, sure hits differently now.
Timeline of Dan & Phil's IRL meetings
before they both moved to Manchester

This is a timeline of Dan & Phil's early meetings, before they moved to live in the same city. It includes how often they traveled to see each other, how long they stayed for, and what they did (that we know of). At the time, Phil lived in Manchester and Dan in Reading, which is a 3½ hour train journey.
Visual version:

pink: #confirmed - they definitely spent this time together
blue: debatable - maybe they did, maybe not (not sure when they left/arrived)
grey: no possibility of seeing each other, because of vacation or similar
white: they did not spend this time together, period
Text version:
  • October 19-21 – First meeting
    (October 28-30 Phil's in Dublin)
    October 31-November 1 – SitC and Halloween Gathering
    November 6-9 – ApartmentRED + lion nakedbooth
    November 29-December 4 – "That" week (actually it was six days, mind blown)
    December 10-14 – General D&P hangout, Christmas gathering
    December 22-24 – Filming the Christmas special
    December 30-January 2 – New Year’s in London, then Phil visits Dan
  • January 15-17 – Avatar in 3D, failed attempt at going to the Sheffield gathering
    January ?22-24 – Dan visits Phil (don't know when he got there but likely a weekend trip)
    (February 5-19 Dan's in India)
    February 20-24 – Dan visits Phil after India, they make pancakes and stuff
    March 5-9 – Phil visits Dan
    March 16-21 – Phil visits Dan again
    (March 31-April 6 Phil's in Isle of Man)
    April 17-26 – Planned trip to Portugal becomes trip to Blackpool instead bc rude volcano, then they film Pinof 2
    (April 27-May 16 Phil's in Florida)
    May 19-21 or 22 – London -> AmazingDan -> Thorpe amusement park (unclear when Phil left, probably the 21st but could have been the 22nd too)
    May 27-June 3 – New date for the Portugal trip, yay
    June 11-18 – Went to L.A. with Bryony, PJ and others for E3
    June 26 or 27-July 6 or 7 – Dan visits Phil and play lots of video games (unclear when Dan arrived and left)
    July 26-August 5 or 6 – Youtuber trip to Jamaica + D&P hangout (unclear when Dan left)
    (August 7-8 - Dan's at SitC while Phil is apartment hunting)
    August ?15-21 – Dan visits Phil’s new apartment, films Truth or Dare 2 (Dan might have gotten there before the 15th)
    (August 25-30 - Dan's at Reading festival with his friends)
    August 31-September 12 – At Phil's place, StickAID collabs and Muse concert
    (September 16 - Dan moves to Manchester!)
Note: As you can see the dates start getting a bit patchy in 2010. This is because Phil stopped dailyboothing completely and Dan's booths grew very infrequent. They also stopped tweeting every single time they went to a train station, which is just unhelpful tbh.
Well now I'm just emotional about their early relationship. Thanks, Fel. *resets the Days Since Mandy Wanted to Cry over Dan and Phil counter back to zero*
ravenreyes wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:42 pm i've just been thinking about how things are going to be going forward, i don't really know what to expect bc i never expected the past week to happen in the first place.
and while a part of me wants something like the mukbang video or for dapg to come back (please), i wouldn't blame them if they'd want to mostly just chill before vidcon bc that's probably going to be a lot.

also while i don't really think how they interact on camera or in public is going to change or anything, just having it all out there in the open has to be a relief. now that people know that neither of them are straight and that they have been/are in a relationship and not have to worry about being outed or people finding out before they were ready to say anything.
and not that it matters, but i am also curious though about who knew about them through them. vs like second hand or assuming. :shrug:

idk, maybe i'm projecting. i just still can't stop thinking about everything that's happened since dan posted the video lmao.
also i constantly just want to hug them :prideheart2:
A mukbang is honestly all I want right now. I want it more than a liveshow for sure. Liveshows are nervous for them. I want to hear them discuss this in a comfortable environment for them.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:24 pm A lot of this video hit me pretty hard, but this part specifically has had me thinking nonstop. I hope one day I feel as brave as Dan was, because I'm 34 and I've had it confirmed by the one person in my family i came out to that yeah, everyone knows, but I have never and still don't feel comfortable coming out in a broad way. But as cheesy as it sounds, Dan's giving me hope that one day I might.
I have been talking a lot with another queer internet creator who is also into Dan and Phil and the fact that Dan just came out to his family has floored us both. But I then I think back to my relationship to my family, and I've been out (and was unfortunately outed as a teen) for over 17 years (in most situations) and I genuinely have never told my family. My parent surely suspected things (and cough found things in my room), and could've easily found things on the internet with my sexuality (oh yes that whole early-2000s era where we thought our family couldn't find us on myspace), but I never said the words. I still haven't, I guess.

But I took my girlfriend along on family vacations without ever saying she was my gf and shared a bed with her. I moved 2000 miles away with the girl I was dating at the time. I've lived with my current SO for 4 years and I never really have called them anything other than "my friend" to my parents even though we only have one bedroom and I spend holidays with their fam... We just don't talk about that kind of stuff.

I suspect that it was obvious to everyone in Dan's family but they were waiting for him to say the words, or thought he never would. I think the responses made that pretty obvious - they all focused on how it was a big deal for dan to say it, but no one was surprised.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Double post sorry - but I wanted to mention that Youtube Space New York had a pride party this week and they played videos by queer creators and "Basically I'm Gay" was included and my <3