Dan & Phil Part 86: here, queer & full of existential fear

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
AltMay
glabella

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:51 pm
AltMay wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:24 pm
glitterintheair wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:02 pm So, like, I'm seeing some people be like 'Phil has pre-filmed some videos we still have to see, he told us so' but didn't he already post them? When he said that he was working on a couple of videos in a previous newsletter, he meant the Q&A and the weird E-mail one, right? Genuine question, by the way, because I'm trying to understand.
I thought so too. When he uploaded that last video it gave me the impression he merged the two together but i hope i'm wrong cause i really miss him too. I'm hoping we'll get at least one more before vidcon too... assuming he sticks to his twice a month schedule.
He either only filmed one video (the q&a) when he said that or there's one more we haven't seen, because the creepiest email one was definitely filmed at least over a week later based on the date of the video of Cristine's that Phil referenced in it.

But I really hope we don't get a Phil video that he filmed a month ago. I hope the Q&A is just all he did that weekend, and whatever comes from Phil next is fresh and filmed in a post-coming-out world.
I ABSOLUTELY forgot about the creepy email video (and I did enjoy it quite a lot). I've been a mess this past week :facepalm2: anyway, yeah i'm sure we'll get a new one right out of the oven.

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
taco baco
dank meme

I can’t believe he sparked a coke float conversation but anyway coke floats are delicious and magical and they’re leagues better than root beer floats don’t @ me about it.
oi he's mine
Cafil
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

I've never called a root beer float a Coke float yet I hate root beer and always make my floats with coke (generally speaking soda). Interesting :lol:
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Put me down as team root beer float! I'd actually never heard of a coke float until Dan's instastory. I've only ever seen root beer floats on dessert menus here in the states. For my fellow Americans, are coke floats a regional thing? Asking as an east coaster who's never seen one.

I expect we'll get at least one more Phil video before Vidcon. His last video came out on June 6th. If he's sticking with his roughly twice a month schedule, he'll do at least one more before they leave for the states. If I were in his shoes, I'd aim for 2. Or 1 more solo video and something else (a liveshow perhaps or some joint content?).

Do you all reckon they're waiting until Vidcon to announce what their plans are for joint content going forward? Since the last liveshow back in December, I've been hoping the gaming channel will return rebranded as a joint content channel. That frees it up to be games, baking, mukbangs, DITLS, vlogs, whatever they want; while leaving their main channels free to be independent (since that seems to be what they want this year). I'm also still holding out a teensy bit of hope for a DnP podcast; gosh, that'd be brilliant!
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple
Pronouns: She/her

Coke floats are ok but the superior option is made with ginger ale :)
noodlebum
flower crown

sapienveneficus wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 pm Do you all reckon they're waiting until Vidcon to announce what their plans are for joint content going forward? Since the last liveshow back in December, I've been hoping the gaming channel will return rebranded as a joint content channel. That frees it up to be games, baking, mukbangs, DITLS, vlogs, whatever they want; while leaving their main channels free to be independent (since that seems to be what they want this year). I'm also still holding out a teensy bit of hope for a DnP podcast; gosh, that'd be brilliant!
I like this idea :) Then can keep their own separate interests/aesthetics on their separate channels.
AltMay
glabella

sapienveneficus wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 pm Put me down as team root beer float! I'd actually never heard of a coke float until Dan's instastory. I've only ever seen root beer floats on dessert menus here in the states. For my fellow Americans, are coke floats a regional thing? Asking as an east coaster who's never seen one.

I expect we'll get at least one more Phil video before Vidcon. His last video came out on June 6th. If he's sticking with his roughly twice a month schedule, he'll do at least one more before they leave for the states. If I were in his shoes, I'd aim for 2. Or 1 more solo video and something else (a liveshow perhaps or some joint content?).

Do you all reckon they're waiting until Vidcon to announce what their plans are for joint content going forward? Since the last liveshow back in December, I've been hoping the gaming channel will return rebranded as a joint content channel. That frees it up to be games, baking, mukbangs, DITLS, vlogs, whatever they want; while leaving their main channels free to be independent (since that seems to be what they want this year). I'm also still holding out a teensy bit of hope for a DnP podcast; gosh, that'd be brilliant!
Rebranding the gaming channel to a joint content one sounds interesting. Never thought of that but i wouldn't be against it, it does free their main channels for solo content or occasional colabs.

Also, a podcast is all i've ever wanted from them tbh. It'd be so good, i've been listening to the ii commentary lately while i do other stuff and it's soooo sweet and wholesome.

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
phancon
delia smith

i'd LOVE it if they brought back dapg before vidcon. maybe with a very gay episode of the sims. there was a free pride update in the sims 4 this week. not a whole lot, but there's some pride related t-shirts ('it gets better' shirts, pride flag shirts, etc) and some pride flags for wall decoration. i think that'd be pretty good for a dab and evan episode in this gay timeline we're in.

(also hi, long time lurker, new time poster)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

sapienveneficus wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:37 pm Put me down as team root beer float! I'd actually never heard of a coke float until Dan's instastory. I've only ever seen root beer floats on dessert menus here in the states. For my fellow Americans, are coke floats a regional thing? Asking as an east coaster who's never seen one.
I'm actually being a southern cliche at the moment and I just realized it, because while we do say 'coke float' here the secondary question would be 'what kind' to which it would be very common to say root beer. I also wouldn't be surprised at hearing someone say root beer float, though.
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

american here (raised in nc, currently living in virginia)! i grew up with root beer floats, but you could also substitute any soda and add "float" to it and people would probably know what you're talking about. i've had orange floats, dr. pepper floats, coke floats, etc. (mostly at summer camp, i think?) but root beer is definitely the default version (and the best, imo)
Philena
blobfish

^^Loving this convo right now. I had no idea southerners default was Coke float!! I have lived in Ohio, Florida, and NY and only have seen them called floats, ice cream floats, or (more rarely) brown or orange cows.

Don't be scared, you haters! Root beer floats are amazing :love2:
Fazbaz
dank meme

nigel ratburn wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:12 pm american here (raised in nc, currently living in virginia)! i grew up with root beer floats, but you could also substitute any soda and add "float" to it and people would probably know what you're talking about. i've had orange floats, dr. pepper floats, coke floats, etc. (mostly at summer camp, i think?) but root beer is definitely the default version (and the best, imo)
In Germany when you make orange floats they are called 'blond angel' (Blonder Engel) :lol:

Editing to say that I am currently enjoying watching the Rize Liveshows on Idb on YouTube. Even though they gave everyone a lot of pain I just love the general vibe of them :love2: :lol: so thank you again for everyone who recorded and uploaded them :stan:

This one is my fave I think
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEdaI0Y ... Ri&index=7
Last edited by Fazbaz on Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knq
lava lamp

Wow, I somehow managed to read the entire discussion about coke floats as "cake floats." I was imagining a cupcake floating in soda. :facepalm: We do in fact have root beer floats on the west coast.
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

I feel like I have to contribute: as someone who was born and raised in New York (and has lived here my whole life), I've only ever heard of it referred to as a root beer float, and I honestly don't think I've ever seen it made with any soda besides root beer? But also I've never had one nor gone out of my way to find one so that last part may be just me
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I can’t add anything to the coke float discussion being from the UK and never hearing of them before haha

I just wanted to ask if anyone has been to vidcon and knows what the closing show that dan will be in? Is it like kind of a talent show? Like creators will get a amount of time to entertain the crowd or is it a group thing? I was just wondering because of what dans been listening to on Spotify, if he was gonna play the piano or something? It is possible that he’s just been listening to that stuff anyway. I was just wondering. Does anyone have any idea what he might be doing
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

It looks like "Basically I'm Gay" has pulled ahead of "Draw My Life" to crack Dan's list of top ten most watched videos! I wonder how high it will eventually rise... I think it's amazing that such a long video has been able to pull in so many views! :pride:

(The ordering of the videos hasn't been updated yet, but you can see this for yourself here if you look at the view counts.)
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I think here they're just {type of pop} float, but I didn't grow up with the english word at all, so it's un flotteur à la racinette for me. :lol: I've never tried them with anything but rootbeer.
goodbants
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her/hers

This is out of the blue.. but what do you think Dan and Phil think about in depth bants?? I mean.. they must know this site exists. We don’t invade their privacy but we do speculate a lot. Do they hate that this is here? Do they think it’s ok?? I would be sad if Dan and Phil really hated this site. Just watching Dan’s new vid got me thinking about these things and I just want to be as respectful and ethical of a fan as possible. I mean, they are public figures and we only talk about stuff available to the public, but still.
:sparkle: this was the most fun i've ever had :sparkle:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Jumping on the 'hits different' meme here - but you know what hits different for me now? Adrian's friend making that gay joke on one of his instagram posts (The friend said 'you're gay if you like mountains') and Adrian responding like he thought it was funny ('good 1') and then fans of Adrian's responding being hurt and reminding him that he has a queer audience and should be more sensitive to that. Adrian deleted all of the comments (what his friend said, his response, and what his followers said in response) without addressing it, and at the time I thought he was just avoiding controversy but now I wonder if he really just didn't know what to say or really hadn't been aware of the makeup of his brother's audience. Or like it wasn't something he could respond to without crossing a line with Dan?
ravenreyes
sofa crease

goodbants wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:03 pm This is out of the blue.. but what do you think Dan and Phil think about in depth bants?? I mean.. they must know this site exists. We don’t invade their privacy but we do speculate a lot. Do they hate that this is here? Do they think it’s ok?? I would be sad if Dan and Phil really hated this site. Just watching Dan’s new vid got me thinking about these things and I just want to be as respectful and ethical of a fan as possible. I mean, they are public figures and we only talk about stuff available to the public, but still.
i've actually been thinking about the same thing, and kind of have in the past as well.

i'm assuming they're aware, but i don't know if they have any particular feelings about it. i think other than the like forum format it isn't really that different than any other place where fans gather to talk about things? discussions happen all over the place, just in different ways i guess. in a way this kind of feels less public than something like twitter or tumblr bc we know they're on there even if they're not tagged or included in the conversation. also i like that a forum has rules specifically about this topic and not just like general social media rules, so to me it's a bit less chaotic lol.
but people have different lines of what is and isn't okay to talk about and there's probably never going to be some kind of clear answer to that. personally i've just decided to join in when it's things i like and find fun and okay, and just stay out of it when it's something i don't really feel comfortable with.

idk, it's not really a clear answer to your question but i've decided to just stick with i personally feel okay with at the moment. :shrug:

also just bc it's been the topic of the last like two pages:
i've only heard of a root beer float before bc of like american movies, it's not a thing where i'm from as far as i know. but it probably exists somewhere.
coke float sounds better to me though bc i've only tried root beer once but i just remember hating it lmao. :lol:
english is not my first language
human
dan hand trash

goodbants wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:03 pm This is out of the blue.. but what do you think Dan and Phil think about in depth bants?? I mean.. they must know this site exists. We don’t invade their privacy but we do speculate a lot. Do they hate that this is here? Do they think it’s ok?? I would be sad if Dan and Phil really hated this site. Just watching Dan’s new vid got me thinking about these things and I just want to be as respectful and ethical of a fan as possible. I mean, they are public figures and we only talk about stuff available to the public, but still.
Feels like a great time to bring this gif back out of the woodwork:

Sadly, I never saved the credit for the gif so if someone recognises this, please let us know and I can get a mod to edit this post with credit :love2:

I have to disagree that we don't invade their privacy, lol we totally do in many ways in my opinion. Or we have in the past, would be more accurate perhaps. We definitely did on GG and I had a convo about this in my whatsapp gc with somethingpink and missemma, where I feel I've been nosey in the past and wanted to know things and speculated about things and over the past year or so, it all just seemed really wrong for me to have been so creepy and nosey. Still, nobody's perfect and I don't think anyone has to be full of guilt; I don't believe well-meaning fans were at all targeted by Dan's video and the mention of people who made things difficult for him. He has a great really refreshing perspective of fandom, encourages it to what feels comfortable for him and I haven't really wasted too much time feeling awful about it. But I'm definitely different now than I was a year ago in regards to how I relate to being a part of this fandom.

As such, I'm living for this coke float conversation lol. I think I've only ever had one myself, many years ago in America, but Dan kinda has made me want to try another. I've forgotten if it was delicious or sickly!
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Fazbaz wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:39 pm
nigel ratburn wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:12 pm american here (raised in nc, currently living in virginia)! i grew up with root beer floats, but you could also substitute any soda and add "float" to it and people would probably know what you're talking about. i've had orange floats, dr. pepper floats, coke floats, etc. (mostly at summer camp, i think?) but root beer is definitely the default version (and the best, imo)
In Germany when you make orange floats they are called 'blond angel' (Blonder Engel) :lol:
Omg, are they? I always saw them called Flips and I've yet to figure out why exactly they're called that. No matter what they're called though, I think they're a bad idea. Not as weird as Christmas soda though, Norway, why? (It's raspberry soda, in case you were wondering.) I'm now considering making a Christmas soda float some time because that might actually be amazing.
goodbants
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her/hers

human wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:42 pm
Feels like a great time to bring this gif back out of the woodwork:

Sadly, I never saved the credit for the gif so if someone recognises this, please let us know and I can get a mod to edit this post with credit :love2:

I have to disagree that we don't invade their privacy, lol we totally do in many ways in my opinion. Or we have in the past, would be more accurate perhaps. We definitely did on GG and I had a convo about this in my whatsapp gc with somethingpink and missemma, where I feel I've been nosey in the past and wanted to know things and speculated about things and over the past year or so, it all just seemed really wrong for me to have been so creepy and nosey. Still, nobody's perfect and I don't think anyone has to be full of guilt; I don't believe well-meaning fans were at all targeted by Dan's video and the mention of people who made things difficult for him. He has a great really refreshing perspective of fandom, encourages it to what feels comfortable for him and I haven't really wasted too much time feeling awful about it. But I'm definitely different now than I was a year ago in regards to how I relate to being a part of this fandom.

As such, I'm living for this coke float conversation lol. I think I've only ever had one myself, many years ago in America, but Dan kinda has made me want to try another. I've forgotten if it was delicious or sickly!
Yeah, I have felt guilty as well. The video definitely changed my perspective as a fan and what is and what is not appropriate to scope out. I’m a very nosy and obsessive person so I tend to go overboard w things. What dan said about 2012 really changed my perspective, and while I wasn’t there to leak info, I still sought after it I can’t help but feel like a bad person. :( The feeling of Dan and Phil resenting me because of that is just too much. I know it’s different now and that era has passed, though. It is still hard to know that we collectively at one point caused Dan so much pain.

I suppose I’ll join into this float discussion as well, lol. I’ve had both a coke float and root beer float and I live in the Midwest of the US. They’re pretty common here. Good with any kind of pop (yes I say pop as well ;))
:sparkle: this was the most fun i've ever had :sparkle:
autumnhearth
senpai

I actually had a root beer float this past Sunday on Father’s Day. It was offered to everyone, but I was the only adult who raised their hand. Actually, no, my dad had one earlier in the day and told us about a girl he dated in high school who he would pick up from her shift at A&W and drive her home before midnight. She always brought him a float and a hot dog. (I don’t think that’s the only time he dated based on food.) I’m having a hard time imagining the taste of a Sprite or ginger ale one (I love ginger ale but idk). I have had ice cream in cream soda before, my teeth hurt just thinking about it (though now I want to try it with butterscotch flavored soda). My husband’s favorite is a Cheerwine (think cherry vanilla coke but old fashioned) float, I’ve only had it once but it was tasty. I guess I’ve had orange juice with ice cream, like as a less healthy smoothie, not quite the same as an Orange Julius, but my mind is rebelling against the image of pulp in it. Creamsicles aren’t my fave anyway.

I’m still baffled that Ten Eighty doesn’t have an article on Dan’s video. Phil’s birthday tweet, Evan’s tweet about Dan’s grandma and someone else saying Dan and Nathan Zed coming back had them emotional, made the a weekly roundup, but no actual tweets from Dan. What gives Teoh?!

https://teneightymagazine.com/2019/06/1 ... june-2019/

Count me in for feeling guilty lately. I haven’t been able to play with my Sim Dan and Phil since. Though that’s the least of my transgressions. :oops:
noodlebum
flower crown

Love how the coke float conversation is still going strong :lol: