Dan & Phil Part 86: here, queer & full of existential fear

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
sparkle
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

I'm from the UK.

Coke floats are AMAZING. My dad used to make me them when I was little as a treat.

Root beer on the other hand can go fuck itself. That shit is revolting. It tastes like Deep Heat smells
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

Man, I’ve never had a float of any kind but now I’m thinking about making one... See what it’s like...
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm from west coast Canada and I've been having floats since I was a little kid. My mum grew up in the prairies and everyone else is from the UK so I'm definitely thinking it's an American influence here. I love all kinds of floats tbh, only way you can get me to drink pop, and sprite floats are superior imo!

Re: deppy, idb, and being invasive.
I love the fourth wall like nothing else. I don't think Dan or Phil have much real awareness of idb. Besides that liveshow moment, I'm sure they may have come across it but I don't think they've spent a lot of time pondering on it. And I shudder to think of them reading this. And that's not because I think we're super invasive or anything (we absolutely can be, but as someone said, the rules are good for at least dimming that down a lot) but because I think it's inherently "wrong" (used lightly here) for a person who has a fanbase to venture into that fanbase. Dan and Phil are good though, if something actually invasive happens like when people were snooping pretty hard on their facebooks and spreading stuff they'll say something, but they know that they can't stop us from having a discussion and to distance themselves is good. Plus, they don't have an issue with fanworks. The fourth wall for as much as I love it has kind of been destroyed with how we interact online and with social media, but for as far as Dan and Phil go with looking themselves up and reading about themselves, if they do that they keep it to themselves and only speak up when there's an actual issue or threat. I think with a fandom like this that's the way to go. After all, traditional celebrities are advised away from googling themselves and complaining about what people say; it's bad PR and definitely a case where ignorance is bliss.
000dia000
emo goose

Whenever I think about IDB and if they know about it: I think they definitely do. Hopefully for their own health, they don't read here. Or gg for that matter. Though to be very honest they also probably see a lot of comments, mentions, and unsolicited opinions from fans on Twitter, Instagram, Tumble, and from the hellhole of the YouTube comment section. Honestly, they're just as likely to read the same shitty questions and speculations anywhere (no matter how innocent or invasive it may vary) and kind of group it all as one of the same. I say though what makes IDB kind of terrifying is the detailed and complex cataloguing and organization of analysis, compilations, and discussions that we have here. What makes this website in particular more terrifying is how I'm definitely certain there are other YouTubers who have read their discussion pages (I'm nearly certain about Emma Blackery and Tomska for that matter).

Dan would probably agonize a lot more reading through discussions, or maybe try to avoid it if he can. Phil on the other hand probably gets a kick out of it, or maybe doesn't care. Dan once said that Phil doesn't mind hate comments at all. I can't remember if it was an interview of what where Dan described Phil as a psychopath for reading through hate comments with a blank passive face. Phil's probably reading this right now. Hi Phil, how's the triop doing?
:cactus:
malday
emo goose

re idb: I do think this place fits in the "aggressively speculating" part of Dan's video. I used to think they probably aren't masochistic enough to go reading about themselves but I have a feeling Dan might have done some research while making his video. Just based on the fact that i understand he took down some liveshow compilations in which he talked about family. It's possible he could have been already working on the video script then.
It would be stranger if an online personality wouldn't check what is being said about themselves at least once in a while, for market research alone.
And the forum's section "Faq about Dan & Phil" shows up in the first page results if you google about their sexuality or relationship.
To be honest ever since Dan's depression video i found it hard to post anything anymore.
What's there really to be done?
Grey
lady door

I had a root beer float once and I thought it was disgusting. Never had a coke float.

I used to work at A&W though which is a fast food restaurant that is known their root beer / root beer floats, so I am fantastic at making them! (Not that it takes skill, I’ve just done it a lot, hehe)

I don’t know why Instagram stories bring me so much joy but they really do. :tu:
I'm having a stress.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I understand the emotional impact of Dan's video, but I don't feel any personal guilt myself. I understand and accept how strange it would be to be a person that has communities formed around them to talk about them, but if you enter into a career as a public figure that will happen. My empathy and compassion for Dan can co-exist in my mind alongside the realistic knowledge that if people didn't talk about him, Dan wouldn't have a career. If people weren't interested in him for his sexuality, he wouldn't have cultivated an audience of queer people. If people struggling with their mental health didn't gather together around him because they saw something in them that inspired discussions, his work as a mental health advocate wouldn't be so poignant.

In an ideal world, Dan could have cherry picked exactly what people talked about and what they didn't, but we don't live in that world. Fans in 2011 had no idea how triggering they were to him. (Fans today are, imo, very respectful about it. Dan and Phil get a lot less direct invasive questioning now than they did five years ago.) Dan himself said he knows he sent mixed signals. He said he knows that most people just wanted what was best for him. I also think that if Dan as a teenager had someone like himself to find a community around, he wouldn't have felt so alone. So while the 'aggressive speculation' crosses some lines at times and there are obviously some areas in which no one should invade, it's also true that sometimes we don't know those lines were there until we have hindsight on the matter and the same people speculating are the ones that made Dan feel safe enough to come out once he realized that the end result of that speculation was going to be acceptance and love. The video made me feel very much like Dan was saying he thought we were the enemy back then but that he doesn't now.

In terms of them seeing the forum - for their sake, I hope they don't, but neither of them are naive about what fandoms are and what happens in them. The art of discussing and dissecting the media and content creators that we're interested in isn't going anywhere.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I guarantee that they know of IDB and probably have had dark moments of reading through IDB - either for research when it turns up in SEO or just when in a self-hurting hole where they want to torture themselves. Most creators read their indirects at least occasionally (though most know it's a terrible idea), and the temptation of a whole board just about you is likely too much to resist.

I think there's a LOT of things on IDB and Tumblr that I personally wouldn't be comfortable with the speculation happening to me, but that IDB tries to shut that down these days (addresses, etc). I'm also pretty new here/generally to Phandom as I was just casual viewer for about 9 years before I fell into the hole, so while I know what 2012 was like, I wasn't in it.

I hope that they take care of themselves and try to stay off IDB/out of their indirects. But I also hope occasionally they got a good laugh at Phantis and things like the wild Janice conspiracy theory.
Ablissa
pastel persona

+1 alittledizzy.

I think we have to remember that Dan and Phil are quite decent at setting absolute boundaries when they want to. They have shut down some things in the past, and they know how to navigate their audience, which is very much self-policing these days and has been for years.

If Dan was uncomfortable with something that takes place *now*, he'd have made it known in his video. Also, they both know how fandoms function and I don't think they'd be surprised to find thorough analysis of some things. This is what people do with celebrities, IDB is not unique in that regard. It's unique for the fandom members because it's a calm place for discussion, not tumblr where you shout into the void and get 20 anons telling you to fuck yourself.

I'm sure they may have read this board more than once, but they'd find nothing that they don't find anywhere else. The only difference is that it's more grouped up here; it gets lost on social media. But they still regularly get sent inappropriate things, so honestly, we're fine here.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Looks like Dan's gonna be on TV news :)

Edit: as I'm not familiar with BBC news I went on the guy's insta and saw he's the LGBT+ correspondent for them! I mean, figures I definitely didnt think it would be about anything but the video, but good to know that it is specialized in that regard.
noodlebum
flower crown

Yaaas :wavingflag:
ravenreyes
sofa crease

oh, i'm really curious about what it might be!
english is not my first language
liola
rankussy

Oh wow! That's amazing for Dan, can't wait to watch this.

Now Phil please give us something too. I don't even want an interview from him just something more than a 10mins filter video :'(
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Ablissa
pastel persona

Okay wow that is huge! When is this thing going to happen? I guess no one knows but I'm hyped.
liola wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:46 pm Now Phil please give us something too. I don't even want an interview from him just something more than a 10mins filter video :'(
Same. I just want something from Phil, but preferably something meaningful. And I want a joint video. I don't want much, do I :lol:
starwatersong
phabergé

Apparently, according to his Instagram profile, Ben Hunte is the BBC’s LGBT Correspondent

(He’s missing Q, Dan! Don’t go!)

(Jk, of course)

Edited to add: apparently Ben’s got a YouTube channel with his boyfriend (they look really cute) called Our Swirl Life — connection to how he knows who Dan is?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Aww, Dan’s little smiley wave in the background <3 maybe they’re reporting just on his video? It’s got to 8.5m views in a week, but I don’t suppose that fact alone is newsworthy? Maybe in the context of bullying, mental health, youtube... hmm, curious.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

It got a lot of media coverage, I'm not surprised it would be covered by the GLBTQ+ correspondent at BBC. I've ended up on the TV news for far less impressive things than Dan's video was.
philliebillie
dank meme

Yey Dan got featured in FBE! i was hoping they'd do that.

But also, can Dan and Phil make moves at the same time? I feel like I don't hear from Phil when there's a Dan update, and vice versa. Even with their use of social media, one stays silent while the other one is active. Is this intended, a conscious effort on their part? Are they like this even in the past?
-you can go swimming in those eyes-
Ablissa
pastel persona

philliebillie wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:23 pm Are they like this even in the past?
Yeah, most commonly. Over the years we've all gotten used to them spreading everything over their channels and socials. Sure, in the golden age they'd both tweet frequently and then we had ig stories in 2018, but it's not unusual for them to take this in turns.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Ablissa wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:43 pm
philliebillie wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:23 pm Are they like this even in the past?
Yeah, most commonly. Over the years we've all gotten used to them spreading everything over their channels and socials. Sure, in the golden age they'd both tweet frequently and then we had ig stories in 2018, but it's not unusual for them to take this in turns.
It is however mildly annoying that Dan is back yet here I am, now scribbling out the other name on my compilation title cards because I somehow committed to that gag last year. :lol:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Catallena wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:01 am my compilation title cards because I somehow committed to that gag last year. :lol:
Your service and sass is genuinely appreciated.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

autumnhearth
senpai

“He’s so lovely” really warms my heart <3
So looking forward to this.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Aww, that reply, too cute.

The react video was really good, they all had interesting, some pretty sad, stories to tell, and they liked Dan and his humour, he endears people to himself right away.