Dan & Phil Part 86: here, queer & full of existential fear

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

I completely forgot that video existed!
the joke at 8:40 made me snort so loud I felt it in my ear.

I miss the joint content but I kinda don't expect them to immediately return to it. :happytears:
I'll take what I can, though, considering that by November last year I had the feeling their Youtube careers were coming to an end (I felt like that was their decision. II being the last tour made me feel like they would "retire" and the only thing I was concerned about was they would do to support themselves).

I'm glad they didn't, obviously. The only thing I liked about that scenario was the idea of them being able to live their private lives fully. <3
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
uwu
phillion/danosaur <//3

Just for more conformation about the interview's topic! Can't wait to see the interview and hear Danny talk more about his journey in a post-coming-out world <3
[credit to dapgoose on twitter]
though you may not know where your gifts may lead, and it may not show at the start, when you live your dream,
:love1: :love2: :love1: :love2: you'll find destiny is written in your heart :love1: :love2: :love1: :love2:
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I can't believe Dan is still shadowbanned on twitter. It's so weird.
Phantasy
woodland creature

anna_begins wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:22 am I can't believe Dan is still shadowbanned on twitter. It's so weird.
Wonder if it has anything to do with the (presumed) hacking of the DanHowell account... the timing is curious. Dan hasn’t had any twitter activity since around the same time that account started posting, maybe he changed his password as a precaution and twitter limited account access (the “shadowban”) thinking something suspicious was going on with the account.
:shrug:
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

Did anyone see the Generations React to both Eugene’s and Dan’s coming out videos? I was really moved and especially loved how endeared the older ladies were with Dan.

obsessivelymoody
emo goose

So amongst my continual thoughts about how proud I am of Dan (and Phil too, of course) and how emotional I am still getting over the entire day of June 13th (can't even believe it's been over a week tbh), I've been thinking quite a bit about the hiatus in general. I'm a firm believer that it would be career suicide to completely ditch joint content, especially after building it up for years. Whether that returns as the gaming channel or something else entirely, I don't know. Fingers crossed for the gaming channel though, as it's always been my favourite content and I kind of really want that big gay devan wedding a lot more now. But all of that aside, I've been thinking about the wording of their announcement for the hiatus. We know they love to word things carefully, especially announcements like that where emotions run strong by default.
itasca00 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:30 am
  • [22:28]
    alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 pm For anyone who wants to pick apart the wording - tried my best through the glitches.

D; Although, I feel like there is something we should mention.
    P: Oh yes.
    D: Probably in a liveshow.
    P: I think it'd be good to like - pre, like. Tell you.
    D: And it allows us to be more conversational than just dramatic.
    P: Yes.
    D: And some of you probably already guessed because of the Dan vs. Phil video-
    P: Yeah.
    D: But after Dilmas we are going on break from Dan and Phil Games. This is just a creative think about what we want to do next. It's not like a - a life thing.
    P: What did I say? It's like a hiatus.
    D: Well, okay, Phil made a whole inappropriate joke-
    P: You'll see that in the video.
    D: But it's like I said on my, my tumblr post. It's like we're just stopping the train for a minute so we can have a think about where the train is going.
    P: It's a pause. We're pausing the train.
    D: Actually, I didn't say that on tumblr.
    P: No.
    D: But that - that's actually an amazing metaphor and I wish I did, so I'm gonna take credit for that.
    [they talk about it glitching as they were talking]

D: We're taking a pause on uploading to DAPG for a bit.
    D: But there's no plan.
    D: It could just - and this is just for us to have a - it's just to stop the ongoing commitment i order to have an assessment.
    P: Yes.
    D: It could be three weeks. It could be six months. It could be fifty two years.
    P: Just, we wanna-
    D: We haven't made a decision.
    P: We just want to have a think about what we're gonna do.
    D: It's just - instead of us just uploading Dilmas and then-
    P: Disappearing
    D: Nothing. And then on January 30th you're like, did ya'll forget the password? So.
    D: Don't worry.
    P: We want a bit of a creative break.
    D: We're not disappearing from the internet.
The main thing I've focused on is Dan saying: "This is just a creative think about what we want to do next. It's not like a - a life thing". Now, I'm biased in that I've always been on moving train because it's my favourite fan theory to have (I'm a simple person with simple wants, including deppy finally moving into that forever home and adopting a dog), so I've attributed moving to it. That can definitely be taken as a life thing, but they've also been pushing pretty hard on the gas pedal for over 4 years on dapg, so taking a break to rethink and also move because wow no more tours! no more long term international work commitments! it's almost like they have the perfect opportunity to move house! Anyway. For months that's where I was on this hiatus business, while also getting the impression that Dan definitely needed to upload before they went ahead with joint content this year (and never in a million years did I actually think the June video would be a June video, let alone the powerful piece that it was!). The moving evidence just kept building up too, with the tight angles, the focus on that one part of the living room in their flat, the storage unit etc... so it was comfortable, and fitting. And of course, Dan saying he would upload when he's ready, and when the aesthetic was ready, which just built up moving and Dan needing to upload further as my assumption for why the hiatus was happening.

But then Dan uploaded and along with everything else he said, he mentioned how difficult the video was to make, but he felt like he had to. (Also- please don't take this as me taking away from the intent of Dan's video and making it about the hiatus! I'm just relating some things back to others, I definitely don't mean for this to come across that way). His coming out video can be a life thing, especially with the bit about coming out to his family, but in relation to it as a part of his career, I think it fits the narrative of not being a life thing, slotting it very nicely into everything I mentioned before about the aesthetic, him needing to upload and so on.

This was a big move for Dan, personally and professionally. Professionally though, we've seen a massive shift in Dan's behaviour over the last year. Something I always think back to is Dan being proud of ii, unabashedly so, which is so different to how he's been about every project he's done ending; negative, treating it as cringe etc. Combine that with TTLMT and what Dan talked about regarding wanting this video to be up in June 2018, he's made leaps and bounds behind the scenes getting to know himself, so taking that to his job--which of course is as a personality, and a finely edited reflection of himself--is what we've consistently seen from Dan, like what we saw with Daniel and Depression for example. Again, sure a professional move can be taken as a life thing, but going off Dan saying "It could be three weeks. It could be six months. It could be fifty two years" about the hiatus, I think putting stock into the fact that this was a hard video to make and it didn't go up as initially planned and that it was about a 5 month wait (I don't include the first three weeks of the year as part of the hiatus because they always take those weeks off), and pairing it with the lack of definite amount of time relating to the hiatus, this could be that final stretch of waiting before they come back together.

And the demon moving theory part of this fits with the fact that they haven't moved yet, but that's clearly something that is taking time. A forever home can't be that easy to move into, not with those two at least. But the same and tight angles we keep getting (as well as ambiguous black and white backgrounds from both of them for their videos which can very easily be replaced without too much notice), as soon as we get more of a confirmation, I personally think--with all of that wall of text in mind--that the joint hiatus will actually end.

Finally, on the topic of moving, I also want to say that last time they moved they went off to a convention in Australia and BOOM they come back, have moved in, and let us know. I think it's slightly different now, in that I doubt they'll tell us as immediately, but the hints (which they admitted to dropping last time!!) feel similar, and so does going to a convention, especially at such short notice. I'm thinking Dan knew the video was going to be ready for this year, they accepted the invitation to vidcon with that in mind as they accepted very late in, and are probably going to go for a similar moving style to last time.

I'm biased; I like my specific theories and I spend too much time interpreting things. But! I'm curious to know what anyone else thinks? :)
autumnhearth
senpai

I agree that the hiatus isn’t just about moving, but that both Dan’s coming out and moving play a part in the not knowing how long exactly it will be until the channel returns. Because if you’re going to do a refresh it makes sense to start off in a new space. I also got strong Singapore 2017 vibes when Phil mentioned the road trip. We don’t really know last time if they had movers finish up while they were gone or if they came back early and just continued posting Singapore photos to Instagram. They could do either this time around.

The only thing I’m not really phased by are the tight angles in their living flat. They have always been pretty tight except for like Phil juggling and obviously we saw more in WITL and GTPWTW. What does seem certain is that the previous filming rooms in the filming flat are packed up and in storage (the bloody hand from the props box in the storage unit story), but that it hasn’t been given up. I still think that’s where Phil’s background is (though yes it can be easily moved/replicated) and we saw him in the filming kitchen during the Instagram hacks vid. The only thing that makes me sad about this situation is the gaming room being packed up, as that makes it unlikely that we’ll get a Sim’s Pride video. But yeah, Dan’s black background in BIG worked brilliantly visually. I’m also skeptical about getting a Phil vid before VidCon. I know that seems like a long time to go without, but that’s just my takeaway from his members only post. I’d love to be proved wrong.
noodlebum
flower crown

I agree, he would usually mention upcoming videos/content in an update post, but he seemed to breeze straight to Vidcon and road trip. Sad times
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I don’t know that I expect them to announce anything joint *at* vidcon, as they don’t have any joint appearances planned ... I doubt Phil would announce a joint venture at his solo Q&A (which I’m really excited for, btw, a whole hour of Phil, yesssss), so I’d guess they’d either say something before, so they could talk about it there, or just wait until it’s all out of the way and they’re back home.

(I’m moving-agnostic; I have no particular belief either way and will just wait and see what happens.)

Also: only two weeks on Wednesday until vidcon, yay!
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
phillyforgot
butt chair

I haven't really written anything about Dan's coming out video yet and I'd like to say I'm proud that he's finally gotten the confidence to talk to us about it. I watched a few edits after the video and cried. It's so sad that he had to hide his sexuality in the past.
I've seen the Generations React video too and I have to say I'm happy for the (not-heterosexual) people in the video as they have managed to come to terms with their sexualities. I think it's interesting how some of them could relate to Dan.
Ataraxia25
flower crown

Hi, absolutely unrelated question: Did Nick Grimshaw react to Dan's coming out?
:gayaf:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:27 pm Hi, absolutely unrelated question: Did Nick Grimshaw react to Dan's coming out?
I don't think he did - but he and Jameela are the people I secretly wish had. I don't think Dan and Phil are anywhere near Jameela's radar these days, but man she had such a unique perspective working with them regularly like that.
Birdie
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:29 pm
Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:27 pm Hi, absolutely unrelated question: Did Nick Grimshaw react to Dan's coming out?
I don't think he did - but he and Jameela are the people I secretly wish had. I don't think Dan and Phil are anywhere near Jameela's radar these days, but man she had such a unique perspective working with them regularly like that.
I've been thinking about this! I admire Jameela a lot because she does so much social justice work which is why I found it a little weird she didn't react. She's so much more famous now than she was back then but still. I'd have loved to see her react as well.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Oooh I agree it would have been so interesting to see Nick and Jameela's reactions! I think it might be possible to get something out of Nick in the future, but Jameela might just be too famous now lol (which is a big yay!!).

In other news, Adrian Bliss posted on his insta story that he's on the BBC talent works podcast. I do wonder if all of them maybe have a dedicated episode for it, or just him and maybe a few others? I would be lovely to hear Dan in podcast form talking about being a creator (def not just saying that bc I want a deppy podcast so bad :()
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I was hopeful Dan would be on that podcast before, but now I'm not sure I think he would have recorded something like that before his video dropped. If he mentioned the video it'd be surprising because I'd have thought he'd have left room for himself to change his mind, but he doesn't mention it it'll feel out of place now.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:52 pm I was hopeful Dan would be on that podcast before, but now I'm not sure I think he would have recorded something like that before his video dropped. If he mentioned the video it'd be surprising because I'd have thought he'd have left room for himself to change his mind, but he doesn't mention it it'll feel out of place now.
When was the writing retreat? His video was filmed soon after easter right? So it might have been filmed by then. Obviously he would still have time to decide not to edit/upload after, but he might have been feeling pretty sure at that point if he'd already filmed the bulk of it.

But yeah, I would still be pretty surprised if he did talk about it before it was actually uploaded, regardless.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I'm not good at inserting instastories because I don't know how to record them, but Jackson Bird (a trans*/queer youtuber with a great comedy waffle series) is on youtube's official instastories "stan cam" talking about how much he stans Daniel Howell today and that he would like Dan to come on his waffle series. It's worth checking out as it's very cute and it's nice to see Dan getting support from GLBTQ+ youtubers on youtube's official insta!
noodlebum
flower crown

Am excited to see Dan's piece for the BBC sometime this week.

Why does it feel so quiet suddenly? It already feels like weeks since Dan and Phils last videos, even though it's not even been 2 weeks, and we've heard from them almost every day since in one way or another. I got used to the quiet months, but now we've been truly fed, it seems it have awoken my hunger again :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

whatdoiknow wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:14 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:52 pm I was hopeful Dan would be on that podcast before, but now I'm not sure I think he would have recorded something like that before his video dropped. If he mentioned the video it'd be surprising because I'd have thought he'd have left room for himself to change his mind, but he doesn't mention it it'll feel out of place now.
When was the writing retreat? His video was filmed soon after easter right? So it might have been filmed by then. Obviously he would still have time to decide not to edit/upload after, but he might have been feeling pretty sure at that point if he'd already filmed the bulk of it.

But yeah, I would still be pretty surprised if he did talk about it before it was actually uploaded, regardless.
It looks like the writer's conference thing was mid-May (BBC Talent Works posted their wrap up picture on May 18) so hmm. I'm still not sure how I feel about it. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong if it meant we got Dan in a podcast!
noodlebum wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:35 am Am excited to see Dan's piece for the BBC sometime this week.

Why does it feel so quiet suddenly? It already feels like weeks since Dan and Phils last videos, even though it's not even been 2 weeks, and we've heard from them almost every day since in one way or another. I got used to the quiet months, but now we've been truly fed, it seems it have awoken my hunger again :lol:
I am someone who handled the hiatus itself very well but I have to admit, the past week I'm just like - too keyed up to calm down and suddenly desperate for more content. I'm even happy with tweets/ig stories. You fed me, boys, and now my appetite is back.
noodlebum
flower crown

That's exactly it! The appetite is back well and truly.
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:21 pm I am someone who handled the hiatus itself very well but I have to admit, the past week I'm just like - too keyed up to calm down and suddenly desperate for more content. I'm even happy with tweets/ig stories. You fed me, boys, and now my appetite is back.
This is me. I had my days of frustration during the hiatus and I won't deny that, but I've gotten reaaally used to the lack of content. Now I'm back to constantly refreshing their socials and hoping for ANYTHING.

Will we get a joint video before Vidcon? I really don't know, but even just a Phil video would be nice. I want to know what will follow Dan's video, no matter what it is.
wells.kai
squish
Pronouns: They/Them

Phantasy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:37 am
anna_begins wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:22 am I can't believe Dan is still shadowbanned on twitter. It's so weird.
Wonder if it has anything to do with the (presumed) hacking of the DanHowell account... the timing is curious. Dan hasn’t had any twitter activity since around the same time that account started posting, maybe he changed his password as a precaution and twitter limited account access (the “shadowban”) thinking something suspicious was going on with the account.
:shrug:
Sorry this is my first post but how do you know he’s been shadowbanned? Do we know why he’s been shadowbanned? (I’m not a noobie phannie; I’ve been here since 2012 but only just found IDB whoops) (I’m currently on limited access on twitter because I was suspended for a whole different reason so I’m not sure if people got notifications on twitter or?)
Sincerely,
Your full time internet homo :gayaf:
wells.kai
squish

Ablissa wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 4:56 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:21 pm I am someone who handled the hiatus itself very well but I have to admit, the past week I'm just like - too keyed up to calm down and suddenly desperate for more content. I'm even happy with tweets/ig stories. You fed me, boys, and now my appetite is back.
This is me. I had my days of frustration during the hiatus and I won't deny that, but I've gotten reaaally used to the lack of content. Now I'm back to constantly refreshing their socials and hoping for ANYTHING.

Will we get a joint video before Vidcon? I really don't know, but even just a Phil video would be nice. I want to know what will follow Dan's video, no matter what it is.

Same here, even just a video some content soon would be amazing even if it’s not related in any way. I just find the way I view their videos is (GOOD) different now. I don’t know how to explain it.

At the same time, I hope both of them take the time they need to do what they need/want to do.
Sincerely,
knq
lava lamp

Tony is dead, isn't she. :snow:

@wells.kai I think most of us know because other people tweeted it. I had never heard of a 'shadow ban' until this week. You can check if someone is shadowbanned on https://shadowban.eu/. If you click on a thread Dan tweeted in, his tweets show up as 'not available' and are not visible if you search for him.

I came across a website that says shadowbanned accounts need to entirely stop tweeting for the shadowban to expire, which probably explains why Dan hasn't been tweeting (in addition to that fact that there's not much point in it when few people will see his tweets).
wells.kai
squish

knq wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:02 pm Tony is dead, isn't she. :snow:

@wells.kai I think most of us know because other people tweeted it. I had never heard of a 'shadow ban' until this week. You can check if someone is shadowbanned on https://shadowban.eu/. If you click on a thread Dan tweeted in, his tweets show up as 'not available' and are not visible if you search for him.

I came across a website that says shadowbanned accounts need to entirely stop tweeting for the shadowban to expire, which probably explains why Dan hasn't been tweeting (in addition to that fact that there's not much point in it when few people will see his tweets).

Thank you for clarifying. I hadn’t heard of a shadow ban until this situation. I think if he doesn’t know already, he will find out soon because if he tweets and doesn’t immediately get thousands of interactions it should be a little suspicious. I just hope we aren’t losing out on some juicy content... Sorry I will never use the word juicy again :headdesk1:
Sincerely,