Dan & Phil Part 86: here, queer & full of existential fear

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I think Jenna and Julien just made a "hits different" joke in their new video :lol:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

kavat wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:03 am I think Jenna and Julien just made a "hits different" joke in their new video :lol:
The fact they said that after the Phandom abused of that slang for weeks is incredibly hilarious but also I've never feel more attacked in life. I just.. wanted to distract myself from dnp for one second.. jnj, WHAT ARE YOU DOING
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Speaking of Pride, do you think they will go? And how much will they share about the day?

(Day in the Life @ Pride would be amazing but I think one or two tweets are more likely.)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

What post-coming out-universe things are you looking forward to most?

I get all tingly when I imagine them posing for pictures at a premiere together (which... hopefully we'll actually get to see... lookin' at you, last Star Wars premiere) or the idea that they can spend holidays together if they choose to without needing to be cagey about it.
noodlebum
flower crown

Not making excuses as to why they are on holiday together/spending time with each others families/double-dates, even moar thirsty gay jokes in videos and innuendos (surely it can't get much more than it was the last year or two?), Dab and Evans wedding... then in general more fashion/male-beauty based videos from either of them (is this wishful thinking? I mean that is the point of this post sooo... yes it is). And more domestic days in the life and adventures.
feenix
squish
Pronouns: she/they

noodlebum wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:24 pm Not making excuses as to why they are on holiday together/spending time with each others families/double-dates, even moar thirsty gay jokes in videos and innuendos (surely it can't get much more than it was the last year or two?), Dab and Evans wedding... then in general more fashion/male-beauty based videos from either of them (is this wishful thinking? I mean that is the point of this post sooo... yes it is). And more domestic days in the life and adventures.
Wish I could +1 you for this comment! It made me so excited and sparkly-eyed for the future :happytears:
LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:55 pm Speaking of Pride, do you think they will go? And how much will they share about the day?

(Day in the Life @ Pride would be amazing but I think one or two tweets are more likely.)
I will selfishly(!!) be mad if they are there this year as it's my first year in four years not going to London Pride! Last year I wondered what they were doing, if they were there incognito and if not, whether they were sad they felt unable to go :wahh: But in seriousness, I got the impression at about 42:30 in BIG that he's still a little intimated by the community and pride events. I really hope they prove me wrong as I'd LOVE a DITL @ Pride and to see them happy and openly queer in public.
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

Has anyone seen this?? They said the internet “gang is back AGAIN”?? According to Instagram, this is new

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b055k5n3

Trying desperately not to get my hopes up for a new version of the show...but I’d SO be here for it
noodlebum
flower crown

Ahhhhhh could it be?!! I wasn't around for the radio show, would love for them to be on one again :6-year-old dan: :woohoo:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm pretty sure that page has been there for awhile but hasnt been updated properly, like a lot of their older pages. I would love for them to do something like the radio show again, it gave us some real gems and it was fun to watch and listen to, but I'm quite sure it doesnt indicate anything new :/
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It looks like Dan has liked a few more pieces of art on Tumblr and Phil has liked some things on Instagram. It’s good to see they are alive but I’d love a story today or tweet i want a video

Hopefully things pick up before vidcon because I’m bored!!
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:17 pm I'm pretty sure that page has been there for awhile but hasnt been updated properly, like a lot of their older pages. I would love for them to do something like the radio show again, it gave us some real gems and it was fun to watch and listen to, but I'm quite sure it doesnt indicate anything new :/
Ah, that’s unfortunate :( I had a feeling it was too good to be true, but I wanted to check and see! there’s still hope for the wonderful dream that is a podcast one day. It’s just such a good format for them
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I can’t wait to see what we have to look forward to in the future but I guess I don’t have much faith in seeing a big shift which is fine, I don’t need more than I know. I’m excited for more sims if they bring that back because I hope that now dan/they could talk a little more freely about experiences they relate to more so than before. I think we’ll get more Male attraction mentions from Phil, we have seen he’s done it more starting from last year I’d say. Which I love! Phil talk more about handsome men you fancy haha I feel like the shift will be so easy for dan just like when he put up his depression video, the liveshow where he talked about what happened in March was such a shift, it wasn’t like he was uncomfortable to talk freely about these things before but now it was out there he could.

As of dan and Phils relationship I don’t see much of a big change like I still think they will keep theirselves protected in a way. I don’t see them posting photos now with their arms around each other or being overly close which I know I’ve seen a few people mention (not on here) which would be lovely but I don’t see it happening just yet. I do think we shouldn’t get our hopes up when it comes to things because I don’t see them openly saying things like our bedroom etc which i know people will take that as them being not together. Or them saying they might have separate rooms at vidcon I dunno. I guess I’m just more so worried about the people that will get upset when they don’t get more. I think most of us don’t need more conformation of what they are. I will take anything they give us but I know that they still want things to be private and I respect that. I’m excited for what we get no matter what but guys please I need a gaming video this year. At least bring back gamingmas. Come on guys go to London pride I think it would be such a freeing experience to go after years of tweeting about :gayaf:
socksparadox
glabella
Pronouns: any

I definitely don't expect any kind of dramatic shift in their behavior, but hopefully we'll see them become less...filtered? I guess. I feel like the past few years (especially post-tour), they've been trying to find a good balance between being authentic and genuine whilst still having their privacy, and I feel like they've found a good spot where they're comfortable. I mean, I don't think they've made a very strong effort to not appear as a couple since like 2015ish, but I think this was just Dan's way of wiping the slate clean for the future and addressing the elephant in the room so it doesn't have to stifle anything anymore. Like Dan said in the video, he isn't someone who wants to monetize his relationship, so I can't see them making some kinda :prideflag: <3 BOYFRIEND TAG <3 :prideflag: or something anytime soon. However, I do think that they'll be less restricted and filtered with their behavior and social media posts and stuff.
♡ 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞. :napsta:
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

itasca00 wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:04 am
snoopysadie wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 12:05 am Sidenote: is there a thread about wife-Janice I can read? I think I missed it and I wanna laugh in the middle of this big uncertainty :ribena:
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:49 pm
autumnhearth wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:36 pmcitizen_erased I forget which video Janice from the shop was mentioned in, but Phil jokes that he thinks he might be getting close to her or something, anyone recall? I have no idea where Sabrina is from originally, but she is mentioned by Dan as Phil's pregnant wife in a ls. He seemed quite amused.
Someone started a rumor in phandom in January that Phil was married and his wife was pregnant. I think it's one of those things where someone made a blog ("phangate") about how Knew it was Totally Real. Dan and Phil both got questions on younow about it, and both answered. When Dan answered he said Phil's wife's name was Sabrina, when Phil answered he used Janice. Timestamps of them both talking about it under the cut:
Dan talks about Sabrina at 39:24:

And at 39:35 here Phil acts out the lead up to the divorce with Janice:
lmao, thanks @itasca00... you gotta love the internet.

I don't really know what to expect from the boys but honestly I have very simple wishes: just do something together. Anything. Just. Anything. Make us happy please. I just want their faces on the same screen tbh.

(but I would love a DITL and Dab and Evan's wedding and more gaming/baking/stupid collabs, and something super creative from Mr. Philip "I have tons of ideas for a book/a tv show" Lester... )
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

No dramatic shift for sure, but it's the subtle things that I"m really looking forward to. Not things they'd do because they feel pressured to but things they do because a lack of pressure now.

I keep thinking of that line of Dan's grandmother's email to him about being free to live his life without pretense now, and I think that sums up what I'm happy about. Less about what they show us and more about knowing that even if they don't show us things, the privacy comes from a place of choice and not fear.
noodlebum
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:53 pm No dramatic shift for sure, but it's the subtle things that I"m really looking forward to. Not things they'd do because they feel pressured to but things they do because a lack of pressure now.

I keep thinking of that line of Dan's grandmother's email to him about being free to live his life without pretense now, and I think that sums up what I'm happy about. Less about what they show us and more about knowing that even if they don't show us things, the privacy comes from a place of choice and not fear.
Love everything about this post :love2:
AltMay
glabella

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:53 pm No dramatic shift for sure, but it's the subtle things that I"m really looking forward to. Not things they'd do because they feel pressured to but things they do because a lack of pressure now.

Yeah definitely this. I don't expect a dramatic change cause i think we've been very smartly eased into this moment throughout these last few years in terms of their dynamic with each other as well as their solo personas. But without the pressure/fear of hiding they'll certainly be more comfortable and open (not particularly about their relationship i believe cause that's still private) in their day to day. Can't wait for joint content and silly banter to make a comeback though.

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
starwatersong
phabergé

Anyone noticed Eugene from Try Guys wearing certain shirt in today’s instagram story? Pardon me for embedding my own tweet to share.
autumnhearth
senpai

Well to answer your caption, definitely Eugene. To be fair it has a better collar and the brooch is a nice touch. Dear god that cocktail.

I’m too tired right now to think of hopes for the future. I just want to see them comfortable.

Oh I had a question for the class that is really not important at all, it’s just semantics, but it’s been bugging me. When Dan says (I’m probably paraphrasing) ‘Who am I to say if God exists? I think it’s unlikely, the same way I know I like dick.’ I’m not confused about the dick part, or the agnosticism, I just don’t get how thinking something is unlikely is comparable to knowing you like something. One is uncertain and the other is certain. What am I missing?
gnostic
stress mushroom

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:18 pm Well to answer your caption, definitely Eugene. To be fair it has a better collar and the brooch is a nice touch. Dear god that cocktail.
To be fair it's well established Eugene can wear cardboard boxes and potato sacks and make that look stylin'. That man isn't human

I am loving their parallel queervelopement
Just here for the marketing skills
fairylights
crusty sponge

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:18 pm Oh I had a question for the class that is really not important at all, it’s just semantics, but it’s been bugging me. When Dan says (I’m probably paraphrasing) ‘Who am I to say if God exists? I think it’s unlikely, the same way I know I like dick.’ I’m not confused about the dick part, or the agnosticism, I just don’t get how thinking something is unlikely is comparable to knowing you like something. One is uncertain and the other is certain. What am I missing?
i interpreted this as like, dan basically saying he doesn’t think god exists, but he doesn’t actually want to make a 100% completely definitive statement about it?
it might not have been the most solid analogy, but it was funny, so i guess he said it mostly because it fit well.
firsttimeposter
living flop

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:18 pm Oh I had a question for the class that is really not important at all, it’s just semantics, but it’s been bugging me. When Dan says (I’m probably paraphrasing) ‘Who am I to say if God exists? I think it’s unlikely, the same way I know I like dick.’ I’m not confused about the dick part, or the agnosticism, I just don’t get how thinking something is unlikely is comparable to knowing you like something. One is uncertain and the other is certain. What am I missing?
I feel like he’s comparing it like, he knows god doesn’t exist, however he doesn’t wanna label himself an atheist, much like he knows he likes dick but doesn’t wanna label himself gay (though he ultimately does).

Perhaps because he thinks it’s unlikely he’ll ever feel romantic love for a woman, but who’s he to say what he’ll be feeling in 50 years.

I don’t speak English as a first language though, so I often misinterpret things so sorry on behalf of this is totally incorrect hahaha.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

firsttimeposter wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm
I feel like he’s comparing it like, he knows god doesn’t exist, however he doesn’t wanna label himself an atheist, much like he knows he likes dick but doesn’t wanna label himself gay (though he ultimately does).

Perhaps because he thinks it’s unlikely he’ll ever feel romantic love for a woman, but who’s he to say what he’ll be feeling in 50 years.

I don’t speak English as a first language though, so I often misinterpret things so sorry on behalf of this is totally incorrect hahaha.
This is exactly how I also took the comment aswel
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Secretstanner wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:54 pm
firsttimeposter wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:45 pm

This is exactly how I also took the comment aswel
That's also exactly how I took it. It's having a firm opinion about something you don't anticipate will change, but still being afraid to issue that 100% conclusive statement just in case.
Phantasy
woodland creature

I’m a bit suspicious about his lack of twitter use—not even any recent likes. Makes me wonder if he’s having account issues... maybe related to the “hack” of the DanHowell account?

(That or maybe he’s having a bit of a post-coming out/ birthday EC—might be a bit low after those emotional highs.)
:shrug: