Dan & Phil Part 86: here, queer & full of existential fear

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

In my area (Midwest of the US) we might use crude, though that really would relate more to a sex joke than just speaking of reproductive body part. Rude, crude, lewd.

Oh! There was something I wanted to bring up earlier and I’m probably not going to be able to do it justice as I have to leave in 5 mins so someone please pick it up and run with it. Towards the end of Phil’s video at the “it will get better” part he said that there’s people out there for you. People could be taken as plural, so I guess it doesn’t have to refer to a partner and could be a friend group, chosen family, but they have said many times, especially during the audience submitted questions parts of both TATINOF and II that there’s someone (or a weirdo) out there for everyone. And I’m just remembering Dan cheesily saying during a liveshow (pre-moving) something about finding the joys of companionship and even though he was pulling a face (because that’s our Dan) it all just makes me so soft. :love2:

:happytears:
hintatty
drama llama

short-time lurker but this video came up in my recs and i just wanted to share because it's made me cry several times today.

AmethystHollis
smol bean

Secretstanner wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:41 pm
noodlebum wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:30 pm
knq wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:59 pm
alien wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:31 pm edit just to say I still can't believe dan called the vagina a rude area like wtf lol
Does rude mean something slightly different in UK vs US English? In AmazingDan I remember Dan asked if all of the questions were 'rude' when they were sexual. (Not that he shouldn't be capable of saying vagina either way, especially after Louise told him so.) Just curious if he actually called genitalia impolite.

Rewatching the pregnancy video and Louise at 9:40 saying "I love how shit you are at this" is :love2: :love2: :love2: :lol: Drag them! :lol:
Yeah it can also mean rude as in naughty - like rude words I guess
I don’t think dans in capability of saying vagina I know a lot of people joke about that, myself included because it was slightly odd the way he said it. I think dan just wasn’t aware of how much her channel had changed and didn’t know if saying vagina was too explicit. In my experience normally calling it a ‘rude’ area is what you say to kids. And I agree with it also being like the word naughty too. Using thoughs words to be like it’s just something you don’t talk about.
Huh, hi everyone! I haven't posted here in a long while (have I ever?), but I'm lurking here every day. :blush:
So I've been rewatching everything during the hiatus and just before Dan's BIG video I saw the pregnancy terminology vid again, and digged up that two Rize shows where Dan said 'front bum' for fanny and in their next live show after he's been called out for it corrected himself and said it's not even vagina, but vulva - so a nice and quasi-educated female genitalia discourse was going on. Maybe after Louise's video they looked into it, in the light of these recent two videos they must have. :D

(I don't know how to embed and timestamp vids here, so bear with me till I figure it out.)

Fortune cookie - fanny - front bum - "you can say vagina":
https://youtu.be/5Ihoe_eDg-s?t=1001

Dan addressing their "mistake":
https://youtu.be/9Ciplau8eEM?t=317

I'm glad they talked about this but still a bit funny after their coming out vids, especially Phil's. :D
eevee
emo goose

AmethystHollis wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:49 pm Huh, hi everyone! I haven't posted here in a long while (have I ever?), but I'm lurking here every day. :blush:
So I've been rewatching everything during the hiatus and just before Dan's BIG video I saw the pregnancy terminology vid again, and digged up that two Rize shows where Dan said 'front bum' for fanny and in their next live show after he's been called out for it corrected himself and said it's not even vagina, but vulva - so a nice and quasi-educated female genitalia discourse was going on. Maybe after Louise's video they looked into it, in the light of these recent two videos they must have. :D

(I don't know how to embed and timestamp vids here, so bear with me till I figure it out.)

I'm glad they talked about this but still a bit funny after their coming out vids, especially Phil's. :D
omg, is that first link where ladydoor is from!? (I've been hibernating from the phandom for years, I am still in the dark about ladydoor)

I love how Louise in the pregnancy video even said to dan "it's not rude it's part of a woman's body"! YES!

What I found interesting about the pregnancy video was two things: 1. dan made that sarcastic comment/response to Phil saying he knows about the birds and the bees blatantly in front of louise, and then acted all shy and weird afterwards and looked at the camera -- i think he probably would've cut it out if it was his video maybe? either way he seemed to be embarrassed that he'd done that in front of the camera. 2. However it was also in front of Louise...and Louise almost seems in the dark about Dan and Phil being gay. For example she made a comment about the vaginas that phil has seen, which is whatever, a throwaway comment, gay men see vaginas, but then when Dan was making the patting motion intending to pat an imaginary vagina, louise thought he as going in with four fingers. So, louise is assuming more knowledge about getting a woman off than Dan actually has, if we're taking this scenario for what it looks like. interesting!?!!?!? maybe louise thought they or Dan specifically were truly bi. louise just seems to have expected more from them which, knowing what we know now, seems a little unwarranted. thoughts?
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
knq
lava lamp

AmethystHollis wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:49 pm
Huh, hi everyone! I haven't posted here in a long while (have I ever?), but I'm lurking here every day. :blush:

God, I remember that vividly just because it was so *Dan.* He brought back up the topic of vaginas in the next liveshow by ‘defending’ Phil from a tweet telling him the correct term was vulva. I think he even found a way to mention labia. Dan Howell, everybody.

Not to reignite that discourse, but I think the hole they fall into is half not being certain what’s allowed while live/while on someone else’s channel, and half that standard dnp humor is euphemism and alluding to (usually sexual) topics they’re not ‘supposed’ to.

I actually wonder how their humor will change if the gaming channel returns in a post-coming-out universe. Will humor of the variety where Dan claims there’s a naked Scottish guy on his Instagram because he likes sport, or Phil emphasizing the word ‘friendship’ in reference to Dab and Evan still be a thing?

eevee Ladydoor originated in one of Dan and Phil’s gaming live-streams on the gaming channel. They were playing Fireboy and watergirl.
eevee
emo goose

knq wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:21 ameevee Ladydoor originated in one of Dan and Phil’s gaming live-streams on the gaming channel. They were playing Fireboy and watergirl.
Thank you so much! I'll go watch! I'm working my way through all the gaming content I've neglected :garbage:
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
starwatersong
phabergé

Ablissa
pastel persona

starwatersong wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:34 am
I haven't scrolled through all the questions, but I'm somewhat at ease seeing them. I expected much worse.

Anyway... I haven't been posting much because I'm an exhausted insomniac, but like, I'm also still trying to process the entire month of June. This month turned upside down all of my previous predictions in regards to Deppy. I can't believe it even happened and I'm just constantly happy whenever I think of them.

Anyone else experiencing a happy-but-scary feeling of anxiety over Pride and then Vidcon and then like... everything?? I've been patient during the hiatus (relatively, lmao) but now I just want everything and I want it NOW. Also, I want to see their faces in the same frame. Please.

Oh and lastly, I just want to add all these pretty emoticons because I love them and I'm tired and it's 5 am and this post is a mess.

:gayaf: :wavingflag: :rainbow: :pride: :prideheart2: :prideflag: :gayaf:
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

starwatersong wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:34 am
I scrolled through some of the responses too. Some were decent but most were pretty silly. So I decided to respond with a question, well, technically, two questions. Here's what I wrote: How has his approach to making YouTube videos changed over the years? Has the line between his public persona and private life shifted, and, if so, how has he decided where to draw (and redraw) that line over the course of his career?
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

We've got a dozen suggestions for the next thread name. It will be a tough choice, but go vote for your favorite now!

:gayaf: :wavingflag:
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

eevee wrote: 2. However it was also in front of Louise...and Louise almost seems in the dark about Dan and Phil being gay. For example she made a comment about the vaginas that phil has seen, which is whatever, a throwaway comment, gay men see vaginas, but then when Dan was making the patting motion intending to pat an imaginary vagina, louise thought he as going in with four fingers. So, louise is assuming more knowledge about getting a woman off than Dan actually has, if we're taking this scenario for what it looks like. interesting!?!!?!?
Hot take, but maybe she just expected them to know more about the anatomy regardless of their sexuality. Louise is more of a feminist than she usually lets on and she might just think that the taboo surrounding bodies perceived as female wasn't okay which was obvious from some of her reactions. Tyler Oakley once did a video with Hannah Hart where she explained the anatomy to him because he agreed being gay wasn't an excuse not to know. Louise might just have that same opinion.

Unless they've played up their friendship with Louise a good deal (which I don't think they did since they were invited to her special birthday party that Dan and Louise later made a video about) I just don't see Louise not knowing. (There's also her weird "Nobody knows" comment when asked about phan which makes sense if she knew and was taken by surprise by the question, so she just said the next best thing).
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I assumed Louise knew somewhat ie that Phil’s gay even if nothing more, and played up the friendship angle for the camera as they did.
noodlebum
flower crown

Yeah I think Louise overcompensated sometimes, to almost give a false trail.
Do you remember in the video of them with Pearl when Louise said something like 'millions of girls will be jealous right now' of Dan with Pearl in his arms, and he just didn't acknowledge it and there was a little silence after :lol:
obvsly
#relatable

This is quite lovely and a great summary tbh :lol:
kavat
pastel persona

obvsly wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:27 am This is quite lovely and a great summary tbh :lol:
I mean that's basically it isn't it :lol:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Omg i loved that answer, it's so cute and funny! And he is totally right.
:gayaf:
obvsly
#relatable

Just got this email from YouTube and got a confirmation of membership refund right away. Does anyone get the same? Did phil change his mind about the cactus club?

i look like a pencil
tol bean

plastictrees wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:08 pm
noodlebum wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:01 pm
i look like a pencil wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:51 pm Hello :sunshine: First time poster here! I've been lurking on IDB for a few years but I've never thought of actually creating an account and interact with people (it's a bit intimidating), but after Phil's video I just had to. I just wanted to scream about it but couldn't because I don't know anyone who watches dnp.
side note but it is so reassuring to find people in exactly the same situation as me (mid twenties with no one in real life who would understand why i’m obsessed with these two nerds) - god bless the internet!

Welcome! I also don't know anyone who watches them in real life, and am in my late twenties so feel like a bit of a weirdo other places. But I love this forum :love2:
I'm in my mid twenties as well, glad to know we share the same struggle :lol:
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

obvsly wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 am Just got this email from YouTube and got a confirmation of membership refund right away. Does anyone get the same? Did phil change his mind about the cactus club?

Weird. I haven't received anything yet.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
ravenreyes
sofa crease

lmao that answer really is a pretty perfect thirty second description of both :lol:

also i'm going to be really busy from later today until the beginning of next week so i'm probably going to miss a lot, hopefully i'll be able to check in from time to time :prideheart2:
english is not my first language
obvsly
#relatable

lilabet wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:32 am Weird. I haven't received anything yet.
Thank you. I’m freaking out big time. YT membership just became available in my country 2 weeks ago and I signed up to phil’s right away. And now it’s taken back just like that. :( I’m trying to see if it’s really the issue with my country or other reasons. Pretty sure I wasn’t blocked haha since I only had a chance to comment once on his coming out video with my cactus. Such a bummer.
onceinaugust
rainbow nerd

I'm still seeing the option to join as a member on my youtube app (in the US), so I'm wondering if it is just something country specific. :shrug:
"You loved it, you want to do it more."
"Alright"
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

obvsly wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:20 am Just got this email from YouTube and got a confirmation of membership refund right away. Does anyone get the same? Did phil change his mind about the cactus club?
If this is legit then.... *unpopular opinion alert* It's about time.

I personally found the membership thing uncomfortable. It felt like people essentially handing Phil $5/month to.... write a message to them that was later shared through phandom anyway.

I know he listed other benefits and they mostly came to fruition, but it really seemed like an overcharge, so I wouldn't be mad. Equal content for all or bust!

Anyway, on a more positive note: DAN GAY PHIL GAY :wavingflag:

k bye.
Ablissa
pastel persona

onceinaugust wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 pm I'm still seeing the option to join as a member on my youtube app (in the US), so I'm wondering if it is just something country specific. :shrug:
I'm still a member on my main yt account, and I checked my side account and I'm still able to join the membership. I think it might be country-specific, or a youtube being stupid thing? Maybe the price went up for your country, obvsly? Are you able to join it again?

That said, I've had no problem with handing Phil that ~$3 a month (it's cheap in my country) just for the forever home fund, but I agree his perks could have been a bit more exciting.
obvsly
#relatable

rizzo wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:11 pm If this is legit then.... *unpopular opinion alert* It's about time.
Looks pretty legit to me as I also got the “order refunded” email right after the cancellation.
Ablissa wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:23 pm
onceinaugust wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:27 pm I'm still seeing the option to join as a member on my youtube app (in the US), so I'm wondering if it is just something country specific. :shrug:
I'm still a member on my main yt account, and I checked my side account and I'm still able to join the membership. I think it might be country-specific, or a youtube being stupid thing? Maybe the price went up for your country, obvsly? Are you able to join it again?
Thanks for your input! No, the join button disappeared completely. I checked with both my main account and a side one.

Membership fee for my country was even lower. It’s not even 3 USD per month, much less than what I’m paying for, let’s say, jack and dean’s patreon. So it’s quite an easy decision to make. But I get what rizzo said. I wouldn’t mind if Phil cancelled it completely. In fact, that’s what I believed at first. But finding out that this is probably country-specific really stings. Not Phil’s fault though, in that case. :cry: