Dan & Phil Part 87: post coming out universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

eevee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 pm Genuine question, are you new to the phandom?
Yes, I've been binging so much since I saw Daniel's coming out video. I'm sorry if my ignorance shows. I was honestly curious to see what you think of the nature of their relationship.
jestbee
crusty sponge
Pronouns: She/her

eevee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 pm They do share a bed. I'm trying to find that screenshot where Dan goes into Phil's room and he's in one side of the bed, the other side clearly recently inhabited - pillow messed up, a deadass sheet crease down the middle of the bed, and the blanket pushed aside diagonally as if someone got out on the other side. Anyone have that handy? I can't find it.
11:27 of Skyrim VR: Phil vs. A DRAGON!
(Sorry, I don't know how to embed or link things properly)

edit: I don't know if that's the one you meant. Also consider the week in the life video when Phil is filming Dan in his bedroom in the early hours of the morning and the other side looking pretty recently vacated.
but even then, again, they shouldn't need to prove this to us for us to just, get the picture. You know?
Last edited by jestbee on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GalaxyDarling

Ablissa wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 pmI'm starting to suspect you're just trying to get a rise out of people, so I'll stop engaging from this post on.
Please don't. Like I said above, I'm novel to the phandom, so I jumped the gun here. That's why I came here, for I knew you girls would have the answers.
eevee
emo goose

jestbee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:27 pm 11:27 of Skyrim VR: Phil vs. A DRAGON!
(Sorry, I don't know how to embed or link things properly)
I'm crying because this isn't even the one I was talking about :lol: :lol: :lol: it happens on multiple occasions I see!

I'm thinking of the same video where Dan pranked phil with a hairdryer i believe???
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
knq
lava lamp
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:21 pm
knq wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:15 pm22:14 "And this is when, through the magic of the internet, I met Phil. And obviously we were more than friends but it was more than just romantic. This is someone that genuinely liked me. I trusted them. And for the first time since I was a tiny child, I actually felt safe."

Seeing that quoted, I wonder if a more crude but more accurate phrasing would have been "more than just sexual." Because I can see having a sexual relationship with someone who doesn't "genuinely like" you or who you don't trust, but those things sort of seem embedded in the concept of romance to me. Maybe not to Dan though.
I think since Dan was coming out of a three* year relationship with someone that did not make him feel safe and that he did not trust and seemed to imply did not always like him (since he referred to himself as a bad boyfriend) being with Phil in a healthier more mutual relationship probably did feel like a revelation.

(*three being what Dan said on formspring years ago but given the timeline in his video I'm no longer sure it was that long)
Oh, true, I guess I was thinking of what romantic means as an ideal concept while Dan was probably thinking more practically and from his experiences.

I'm interested to hear the 3 year timeframe might have changed! Not exactly important, but it's been fandom canon for so long I'm surprised for some reason.
blahblahblah8

GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:30 pm
Ablissa wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 pmI'm starting to suspect you're just trying to get a rise out of people, so I'll stop engaging from this post on.
Please don't. Like I said above, I'm novel to the phandom, so I jumped the gun here. That's why I came here, for I knew you girls would have the answers.
Hey I just wanted to mention not everyone here is a girl. There are other boys, and other gay boys!
eevee
emo goose

I'm crying most of us here are over 18 my friend

yes we all believe they are dating. there is literally ten years of "proof"
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Ablissa
pastel persona

eevee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:31 pm I'm crying because this isn't even the one I was talking about :lol: :lol: :lol: it happens on multiple occasions I see!

I'm thinking of the same video where Dan pranked phil with a hairdryer i believe???
This?
GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:30 pm Please don't. Like I said above, I'm novel to the phandom, so I jumped the gun here. That's why I came here, for I knew you girls would have the answers.
Not all of us here are "girls". Many are men, non-binary, questioning... Also, the majority of us are adults.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Ablissa wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:34 pm
eevee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:31 pm I'm crying because this isn't even the one I was talking about :lol: :lol: :lol: it happens on multiple occasions I see!

This?
I'm also laughing bc the one that popped into my head immediately was Phil filming Dan in bed in the week in the life video from last year.
jesp
why bother

blahblahblah8 wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:33 pm
Hey I just wanted to mention not everyone here is a girl. There are other boys, and other gay boys!
hi, am gay boy
obvsly
#relatable

GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:30 pm Like I said above, I'm novel to the phandom, so I jumped the gun here. That's why I came here, for I knew you girls would have the answers.
Hey, I just wanna welcome you to the forum and the fandom. Hope you don’t feel like we’re ganging up on you or anything. It’s the topic we’ve been going over so many times here so clearly people are having strong opinions about it. :) but yeah, I’m in the “they’re together” camp too and there have been many clues/evidence over the years as I’m sure you will see soon. Maybe that might change your view or maybe not and that’s fine too.
Ablissa
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:36 pm
I'm also laughing bc the one that popped into my head immediately was Phil filming Dan in bed in the week in the life video from last year.
For me, it was Phil filming Dan in the bed he so clearly didn't use to sleep in (on the wrong side of it) in their old flat. :lol:
DryCereal
koi pond

GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:57 pm I answer here to what @ablissa posted as the last post in the previous thread.

Daniel said at the end of that coming out vid that "cute mutuals slide in the DMs". I think mutuals in this case means fellow gays. He also said that what he had with Phil was "more than romantic", and I'm struggling to figure out what that means. Is platonic more than romantic to him? He was talking in the past tense about it... I don't want to burst any phan bubbles, but maybe my perspective as a gay guy should be heard here.
Well, if tha's what he said, please do try getting in touch with Dan. He's not here (as far as we know..! :? ) but he's fairly active online, should be easy enough to track down, don'tcha think?

Piece of advice, if I may... he seems to appreciate people being brave/forthright on facebook, so if you're looking to impress... ;) :thumb:
Last edited by DryCereal on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
angrymob
hobbit hair

I'm quickly back from the dead to say that Phil definitely was not out in his videos to any casual audience from 2008 - 2010 (I conveniently skipped watching them through 2011-2015). I think gay former 16-year old me remembers every video that even mentioned gayness in any form that I watched during that time. I think that youtubers were even less likely to share personal details in videos then, because the internet was still a scary place, youtube was a very public platform compared to other sites like MySpace, and you were even more accessible to your audience of >500 000 people than you are now.

Quite enjoyed Phil's video as it embodies how I would love to treat my sexuality (casual, not worth much more than 10 seconds of discussion), but I appreciate how in depth Dan went, as his story allows everyone to find some point to relate to regardless of their background. I'm a bit disgruntled though that after developing a completely platonic friendship with someone that I'm sure seems just as suspicous to those outside it as Dan and Phil was, and therefore accepting the possibility of them being just friends, they do this. -.-

Oh god, I forgot how quickly this board moves sometimes.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

You know, I bet it would be so annoying—and IS so annoying!—for Dan and Phil's other partners (or potential partners!) to have them go off on vacation together. I bet it was annoying for them to have stayed in that 2 bedroom airbnb in Australia with Martyn and Cornelia when they probably could have been flown to Australia to have down time with their bfs (lord knows they each have enough money to do that!). Must be really annoying to know they're going to Nevada on a road trip alone with Martyn and Cornelia after being away for a week for work purposes. Must be even MORE annoying to see Dan call Phil is actual soulmate. And to know that they truly only want to spend most of their time together, in their own little best friends club. Must have been even worse to have Dan around Phil's family up north so close to Christmas time. Like what a bummer. They well and truly dont have time for their other partners, how sad for them :(
eevee
emo goose

Ablissa wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:37 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:36 pm
For me, it was Phil filming Dan in the bed he so clearly didn't use to sleep in (on the wrong side of it) in their old flat. :lol:
oh my god, we ALL had different ideas!! :lol: I was indeed thinking of that one you posted, thank you Ablissa
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:27 pm
eevee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:23 pm Genuine question, are you new to the phandom?
Yes, I've been binging so much since I saw Daniel's coming out video. I'm sorry if my ignorance shows. I was honestly curious to see what you think of the nature of their relationship.
I actually really love that we're hearing from someone who has started to watch them (or started to seriously watch, at least) since Dan's coming out video!! I wondered if he'd usher in a new audience demo with that. I'd love to hear more of your thoughts on it/him in general. What other videos of his (or theirs, if you're watching joint content) are you liking?
GalaxyDarling

obvsly wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:37 pm Hey, I just wanna welcome you to the forum and the fandom. Hope you don’t feel like we’re ganging up on you or anything. It’s the topic we’ve been going over so many times here so clearly people are having strong opinions about it. :) but yeah, I’m in the “they’re together” camp too
You are very sweet. Thanks for that! :love1: Maybe I like Dan so much that I wish he was single? That might sound crazy :oops:
GalaxyDarling

DryCereal wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 pm Piece of advice, if I may... he seems to appreciate people being brave/forthright on facebook, so if you're looking to impress... ;) :thumb:
I was wondering if "slide in the DMs" meant only Twitter or Instagram, lol
eevee
emo goose

GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:49 pm
DryCereal wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:38 pm Piece of advice, if I may... he seems to appreciate people being brave/forthright on facebook, so if you're looking to impress... ;) :thumb:
I was wondering if "slide in the DMs" meant only Twitter or Instagram, lol
If you're dead serious about sliding into his DMs please do it, now I'm very curious as to what might happen if someone did.

edit: in our discussion here we didn't consider that newcomers would show up and not know about "dan and phil", and seriously consider sliding into the DMs. We all assumed that people would be too afraid of that "angry Phil DM" to try anything. We all thought that everyone knew the whole story, so no one would try to get between dan and phil. now that i'm seeing that's not the case, i'm getting very curious as to what's happening in dan's DMs. so please, report back when you do!
Last edited by eevee on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DryCereal
koi pond

obsessivelymoody wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:41 pm You know, I bet it would be so annoying—and IS so annoying!—for Dan and Phil's other partners (or potential partners!) to have them go off on vacation together. I bet it was annoying for them to have stayed in that 2 bedroom airbnb in Australia with Martyn and Cornelia when they probably could have been flown to Australia to have down time with their bfs (lord knows they each have enough money to do that!). Must be really annoying to know they're going to Nevada on a road trip alone with Martyn and Cornelia after being away for a week for work purposes. Must be even MORE annoying to see Dan call Phil is actual soulmate. And to know that they truly only want to spend most of their time together, in their own little best friends club. Must have been even worse to have Dan around Phil's family up north so close to Christmas time. Like what a bummer. They well and truly dont have time for their other partners, how sad for them :(
Oh I don't know. I think it's sweet how Dan offers to accompany Phil whilst he's chaperone for Martyn's virtue. What a dedicated friend. (And a good little brother!) :thumb:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
GalaxyDarling

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:44 pm What other videos of his (or theirs, if you're watching joint content) are you liking?
My favorite joint content are the baking vids and then that one where they are singing My Heart Will Go On together! :love1: Phil really loves that song, and so do I.

I like Dan's YouNow streams where he talks about politics and LGBT+ -rights with his normal voice. His loud theatrical voice is fun, but I think the live stream one is the real voice he uses off-camera.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:53 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:44 pm What other videos of his (or theirs, if you're watching joint content) are you liking?
My favorite joint content are the baking vids and then that one where they are singing My Heart Will Go On together! :love1: Phil really loves that song, and so do I.

I like Dan's YouNow streams where he talks about politics and LGBT+ -rights with his normal voice. His loud theatrical voice is fun, but I think the live stream one is the real voice he uses off-camera.
If you want a really good dose of their 'natural voices' make sure you listen to the commentary they did for the Interactive Introverts dvd. It's definitely in my top ten list of Dan and Phil content from last year.
GalaxyDarling

eevee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 pm We all thought that everyone knew the whole story, so no one would try to get between dan and phil. now that i'm seeing that's not the case, i'm getting very curious as to what's happening in dan's DMs. so please, report back when you do!
I would love to reach Dan eventually as a friend. I would never want to get between the boys though. And yes I say boys and girls for adults too. i hope that's cool. I don't want to talk about that private stuff here in case he reads this forum, lol. I might be cute, but he actually seems super private, so to even become friends with him would take luck for real.
jesp
why bother

GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:08 pm
eevee wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:51 pm We all thought that everyone knew the whole story, so no one would try to get between dan and phil. now that i'm seeing that's not the case, i'm getting very curious as to what's happening in dan's DMs. so please, report back when you do!
I would love to reach Dan eventually as a friend. I would never want to get between the boys though. And yes I say boys and girls for adults too. i hope that's cool. I don't want to talk about that private stuff here in case he reads this forum, lol. I might be cute, but he actually seems super private, so to even become friends with him would take luck for real.
I'm curious, GalaxyDarling, how did you find IDB?