Dan & Phil Part 87: post coming out universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Dare I say that there is nothing quite as painful for a gay person as falling for a straight guy. Luckily with Dan I don't have to think about that (anymore). It would have been painful indeed to have liked him in 2012 for example. I know he is taken, but I guess I can still have feelings for him :rainbowsparkle:.

This YouNow answer to someone hurts particularly bad. "I'm sorry if you're gay and you want me to be. Rohypnol me, then who knows what will happen". I would have cried if he said that me :wahh:, not for self-pity, but for him having to hide his gayness so deep inside him, that he had to joke about getting roofied. A very dark thing to do.

It feels really good to know for a fact that he likes guys sober :prideheart2:. Maybe this coming out helps to alleviate his depression.
feenix
squish
Pronouns: she/they

poweroftriangles wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:32 am One interesting commonality is that both of their realisations that they were gay came down to a Single Moment - Dan's deskmate and Phil's Beach Boy. This is one rare bit I did not relate to at all, my journey was more of cumulative repressed attraction over the years that took a while for me to reconcile with. (To be fair, I live in a "third-world" nation where LGBT people are largely absent from mainstream media/discourse etc so I didn't even let myself consider the possibility for the longest time.) I wonder if this is true of others on this forum?
Completely the same for me. I'm from England so there's definitely currently a lot of queer representation, but growing up in the 90s I barely saw any lesbians or bi women in the media or in my personal life. I fall under the camp of deep repression and compulsory heterosexuality until I met actual queer people at uni, and it was a series of realisations ever since then (only realised I was totally gay after I had my first girlfriend at 23.)

I would have loved to grow up with queer YouTubers normalising things! On this topic actually, regarding Phil apparently being out early in his YouTube career - I've watched him since 2007/2008 and can't remember noticing him as an out gay man back then.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Falling for anyone in an unrequited crush is just as painful for anyone.
Phantasy
woodland creature

sarty wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:55 am Regarding the hotel and tourbus bedding situation: I feel sad thinking about it. Since Dan was not out, think of all the time they had to spend apart and all the extra money they had to spend on hotel rooms. I mean, maybe it is different for guys, but as a female identifying person, I've slept in the same bed as a female friend before (non sexual) and its nbd. To think that they had to make this huge deal out of having not just separate beds in the same hotel room, but different rooms on different floors? Wow.
I don’t quite feel the same way... they didn’t always have separate rooms and occasionally having a separate room might have not had anything to do with them trying to mask their relationship. The stress of traveling months on end and being in close quarters 24/7 can be hard on any type of relationship, so getting an occasional extra room so you don’t have to wait for the bathroom to be free, can play Guild Wars until 4am while someone else is trying to sleep, or just stretch out in a larger bed after being crammed in busses and airplanes for days on end... besides, with large tour like that, they were getting bulk hotel rates already and an extra room wouldn’t have made a dent budget wise.

Now, I do wonder though if they have any regrets or missed experiences while out in public... especially all those romantic spots around the world... whether it’s couples pictures, or holding hands/kissing... and there’s no evidence that they’re even a PDA type of couple, but if they are then it’s probably a nice relief going forward that they can be more relaxed about it without the fear of being outed.
GalaxyDarling

flarequake wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:26 am Falling for anyone in an unrequited crush is just as painful for anyone.
I was thinking about how categorical the unrequiting is if that one you fall for is exclusively straight. Then again it kinda hurts the most if someone really specifically doesn't like you, so for that you are right.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: she/her

I’m weirdly nervous for Saturday? Like a fear of the unknown, I guess; we don’t know whether Phil is going and I wonder about what sort of things will end up being shared. I’d say I hope Dan has a wonderful time but I’m certain he will. :pride: :prideflag:

Meanwhile I’ll be at home having four heart attacks at the same time every time I get a notification on my phone.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
dontpanic
#relatable

poweroftriangles wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:32 am One interesting commonality is that both of their realisations that they were gay came down to a Single Moment - Dan's deskmate and Phil's Beach Boy. This is one rare bit I did not relate to at all, my journey was more of cumulative repressed attraction over the years that took a while for me to reconcile with. (To be fair, I live in a "third-world" nation where LGBT people are largely absent from mainstream media/discourse etc so I didn't even let myself consider the possibility for the longest time.) I wonder if this is true of others on this forum?
I didn't relate with that particular bit either... I sort of always knew I was a lesbian deep down but I very much ignored it for as long as I could since my fam would have been 100% kicked out of the house.

I DO however *really* relate to Phil's whole thing with sarah michelle gellar... in grade school I became a huge orlando bloom fan right around the time I realized I wasn't crushing on boys in the same way as my friends were. In reality I just thought legolas was neat
autumnhearth
senpai

That particular YouNow answer is the most painful and is the closest he came to saying he was straight, plus it’s all kinds of gross and problematic.

I don’t put much stock in hotel setups, talent usually do get their own rooms, even if it was coordinated by a manger who knew about their relationship. The double rooms are cute especially that one tour gaming video (Dumber Ways to Die) that had Phil’s pillow on the left bed behind Dan and Dan’s on the right behind Phil. There’s all sorts of reasons to want or not want space, or to use extra space however you want for food [laughter] or sex. Fun fact about DITL Australia, the hotel rooms were only for that wildlife excursion, the whole TATINOF Australia tour had them and all the crew set up in apartments, two bedrooms each obviously Dan and Phil shared.

Defo think post person, lady at the shops and sliding into the DMs are all for humor. Though I could certainly see “so when are you going to settle down with a nice girl” being asked at a wedding or family reunion by a distant aunt or friend of the family.

I did have one real life female crush that solidified things for me at 12/13 years old: red hair, freckles, that perfect up turned pixie nose, who had a girlfriend at the school she transferred from, so that also introduced me to the term bisexual and the revelation that young people could be gay, not just my lesbian aunt and mom’s minister. But before that I had a whole binder full of photos of a French supermodel, mostly from Victoria Secret catalogs and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit editions that I actually went to the store and bought for the sole purpose of her shots *cough*

I squeezed my sister’s hand so tight when Legolas dismounted his horse, but all the elves are gorgeous androgynous beings and I was squeezing just as hard over all the architecture. My husband is straight but has a big thing for Thranduil so :shrug:
AltMay
glabella

Yeah, I can definitely relate to this. I didn't know what gay/lesbian (not including other identities/sexual preferences cause i came to learn them later on) was until i was like 14. And even then, the misrepresentation (cause it's not like the idea of someone being gay wasn't there, but it was terribly and offensively portrayed) in media as well as the precarious het sex-ed we got at school (and no internet access at the time) was an awful cocktail of misunderstanding and denying how i felt. I even had a girlfriend at 17 and still thought i was straight. It's hilarious to me now but it was really bad.

Re: bed discours. i also wanted to point out that in the hong kong video even though they are in separate beds *kinda pushed together ehem* phil's still on the left and dan on the right.

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
feenix
squish
Pronouns: she/they

uwu wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:07 am
Cricket wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:37 am Is there a way to listen to the commentary track without having the dvd? I wasn’t even lurking back around when the dvd came out but before that I’d been wondering if there would be. But if there was I missed that discussion completely
it's on youtube here :D
I kept putting off listening to this because I thought I would buy the DVD. But it's been months now, so since it's been posted today (thank you!!) I've been listening to it at work and on my lunch and it is WONDERFUL. I have always been firmly Team Podcast, but right now more than ever I want nothing more than hour-long, bi-monthly, unfiltered banter between them for my listening pleasure. Give it to me, boys! :ourmoney:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

madzilla84 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:44 am I’m weirdly nervous for Saturday? Like a fear of the unknown, I guess; we don’t know whether Phil is going and I wonder about what sort of things will end up being shared. I’d say I hope Dan has a wonderful time but I’m certain he will. :pride: :prideflag:

Meanwhile I’ll be at home having four heart attacks at the same time every time I get a notification on my phone.
Wow I feel you, I feel the same. I don't really know what i'm afraid of but i'm a little bit on edge about saturday! I guess, like you said, it's the fear of the unknown. :shrug:
:gayaf:
bluecaterpillar

hmm. i had had an feeling for maybe a year that whatever i was, i wasn’t straight (my formless blob stage, if you will). then when i was 15 a group of us were hanging out at someone’s house and i was hit with a very strong desire to kiss my very pretty friend who was sitting next to me. so i already had some idea, and i did take a while afterwards to properly sort through how i felt and start calling myself gay. but there was a moment that really confirmed things for me.

also, big generalisation here which is not directed at anyone in particular- i suspect there’s a difference between gay men and women here in that it’s harder for women to recognise that what they feel for other women is more than friendship. since the media etc focuses so much on women’s appearances, whether particular women look attractive etc, and also normalises girls being platonically intimate with each other to a much greater extent than boys. growing up i just assumed that it was a universally agreed upon truth that women are more attractive than men.

also, gotta say i love the contrast between them describing their gay awakenings. dan’s ‘he delicately removes a pencil from his pencil case... i just want to understand him better...’ vs phil’s ‘hot shirtless guy at the beach who i want to KISS’ :lol:
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

AltMay wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:09 pm
Yeah, I can definitely relate to this. I didn't know what gay/lesbian (not including other identities/sexual preferences cause i came to learn them later on) was until i was like 14. And even then, the misrepresentation (cause it's not like the idea of someone being gay wasn't there, but it was terribly and offensively portrayed) in media as well as the precarious het sex-ed we got at school (and no internet access at the time) was an awful cocktail of misunderstanding and denying how i felt. I even had a girlfriend at 17 and still thought i was straight. It's hilarious to me now but it was really bad.

Re: bed discours. i also wanted to point out that in the hong kong video even though they are in separate beds *kinda pushed together ehem* phil's still on the left and dan on the right.
I think my 'awakening' actually happened much more similarly to Dan's - there was a point around 12 or 13 where I was swimming with a childhood friend who was a few years older than me and it kind of slammed into me that I really wanted to sit there and stare at her body. But I also was not mentally prepared to accept being actually a lesbian so I identified as bi for a solid decade after that before I was forced to acknowledge that my capacity to feel for men was just not the same as for women. It wasn't the 'oh, I really like and want to look at girls at the time and maybe kiss one' I struggled with - just not wanting to accept that I didn't want that with guys.

(Also, not the point, but about the HK video - I don't think the beds were pushed together, I think they were pulled apart for the sake of filming and came as one bed. The space between them in that video does not look natural and everything on Phil's side is shifted over more than it should be in line with the door frame.)
masterofgeometry
squish

Gosh, long time lurker, first time poster here, deppy coming out still doesn't feel real to me :wavingflag: :wavingflag:
kavat
pastel persona

Ataraxia25 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:59 pm
madzilla84 wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:44 am I’m weirdly nervous for Saturday? Like a fear of the unknown, I guess; we don’t know whether Phil is going and I wonder about what sort of things will end up being shared. I’d say I hope Dan has a wonderful time but I’m certain he will. :pride: :prideflag:

Wow I feel you, I feel the same. I don't really know what i'm afraid of but i'm a little bit on edge about saturday! I guess, like you said, it's the fear of the unknown. :shrug:
I try to remember that excitement and anxiousness/nerves feel very similar and sometimes it's hard to differentiate. My body is telling me to be nervous but I'm trying to convince myself that I'm just excited for what may come.

I'm sure whatever happens is going to be great! :wavingflag:
bluecaterpillar

masterofgeometry wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:44 pm Gosh, long time lurker, first time poster here, deppy coming out still doesn't feel real to me :wavingflag: :wavingflag:
me too tbh, i never anticipated them explicitly acknowledging anything and then dan went and dropped 45 whole minutes going into more detail than i would ever have imagined.

it’s also kinda strange thinking about the people who will start watching dnp after they came out and will only ever know them as confirmed gay men when my experience of watching them has included a lot of lurking various forums which inevitably went round and round in circles over relationship and sexuality evidence
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
noodlebum
flower crown

I'm trying not to get my hopes too high... then might be pleasantly surprised :)
At the moment am expecting one selfie (not hugely rainbow-tastic) or a crowd pic from Dan, with a short jokey caption, and that's it.
hintatty
drama llama

Am marching in the Parade on Saturday, absolutely buzzing 😅 is my first, too! Hoping to see them both 🤞🏻
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Ohhh! Queer awakening moments! Both DNP stating theirs made me think about mine (crap this is a long post):

I'm the same age as Phil but in the US.

I was 9, and a new androgynous girl started at my school, named Casey (which is a name used for both genders in the states). Lots of people talked behind her back because she looked kinda like a boy and a girl, and their little 4th grade brains couldn't compute. I couldn't stop thinking about this girl, and really wanted her to be part of my friend group of nerds, but was also worried that being associated with me would cause her to lose even more social status. I would write stories and give them to her to read, I would bring her candy - I didn't know I had a crush but I had never felt this way about anyone before. I kinda buried it.

Then the next year, Ellen came out and I saw her Time cover that said "I'm Gay" in my dad's home office. I remember how much those words burned in my brain- I wanted to read the magazine, but I also wanted to hide it so no one knew I read it. That word was only used to make fun of people (and pencils and quizzes). I didn't know it could apply to women, and then I wondered if maybe I was like Ellen.

Then the next year (11 years old), I...umm... discovered Yahoo chat rooms and um.... made an account that said I was 18 years old. For reasons.

I heard that 10% of people were queer, so in a classroom of 30 people, I would try to figure out who the other 2 were.

I was outed at the age of 14 (on a kinda unfortunately national level within the homophobic sport I was in; as well as online) and my life kinda became a living hell for the next 3 years until I left school. I made the same mistake as Dan thinking I could be out online and to long-distance friends without other people finding out. Word travels fast.

But at least I was very visible, so a lot of little baby queers in my large school (3000 students) came out to me even if they didn't know me. I had a nice little gaggle of queers, even if I was getting beat up on a regular basis.

If you read this far, the end of the story is that when I was 18 I ended up hooking up with the (now very out gay) girl that I had my first crush on.
noodlebum
flower crown

plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:11 pm Ohhh! Queer awakening moments! Both DNP stating theirs made me think about mine (crap this is a long post):
I'm the same age as Phil but in the US.

I was 9, and a new androgynous girl started at my school, named Casey (which is a name used for both genders in the states). Lots of people talked behind her back because she looked kinda like a boy and a girl, and their little 4th grade brains couldn't compute. I couldn't stop thinking about this girl, and really wanted her to be part of my friend group of nerds, but was also worried that being associated with me would cause her to lose even more social status. I would write stories and give them to her to read, I would bring her candy - I didn't know I had a crush but I had never felt this way about anyone before. I kinda buried it.

Then the next year, Ellen came out and I saw her Time cover that said "I'm Gay" in my dad's home office. I remember how much those words burned in my brain- I wanted to read the magazine, but I also wanted to hide it so no one knew I read it. That word was only used to make fun of people (and pencils and quizzes). I didn't know it could apply to women, and then I wondered if maybe I was like Ellen.

Then the next year (11 years old), I...umm... discovered Yahoo chat rooms and um.... made an account that said I was 18 years old. For reasons.

I heard that 10% of people were queer, so in a classroom of 30 people, I would try to figure out who the other 2 were.

I was outed at the age of 14 (on a kinda unfortunately national level within the homophobic sport I was in; as well as online) and my life kinda became a living hell for the next 3 years until I left school. I made the same mistake as Dan thinking I could be out online and to long-distance friends without other people finding out. Word travels fast.

But at least I was very visible, so a lot of little baby queers in my large school (3000 students) came out to me even if they didn't know me. I had a nice little gaggle of queers, even if I was getting beat up on a regular basis.
If you read this far, the end of the story is that when I was 18 I ended up hooking up with the (now very out gay) girl that I had my first crush on.
omg that's so cute, also congrats on making it through what sounds like some horrible few years at school xx
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:11 pm I was outed at the age of 14 (on a kinda unfortunately national level within the homophobic sport I was in; as well as online) and my life kinda became a living hell for the next 3 years until I left school. I made the same mistake as Dan thinking I could be out online and to long-distance friends without other people finding out. Word travels fast.
I had a similar thing happen, except that I was seventeen, it was my best friend that I'd trusted to know my online identity that outed me (by printing my blog entries off and giving them to someone at my high school, which she didn't even attend) and I live in the very homophobic US deep south. My only saving grace is that it was my senior year of high school already so I only had about six months of pure suffering and open hostility to make it through. Word does indeed travel fast. Walking into my senior english class and seeing my teacher reading my blog along with some students is still one of my top ten life trauma moments.

My high school experiences, while not the same as Dan's on the level of physical violence in bullying (I got threats but no one ever followed through) are a lot of why his video resonated so hard with me. I can't imagine having had to deal with what that six months of my life on such a larger scale like he did. It's a different kind of thing altogether I think, but even just the taste of it I had makes my heart ache for him and makes me proud of who he is now.
kavat
pastel persona

It's really interesting hearing all the different stories. I considered myself straight for lack of a better word for most of my life, until I joined the phandom at age 26. That made me come back to tumblr after years off and I stumbled over the word asexual for the first time. I had only ever heard it in medical context before, never as a sexuality. I read up on all the different terms under the ace umbrella (demi, grey, flux etc) and for the first time realized that maybe I wasn't an emotionless robot, I was just ace. Finding that label also made me more comfortable in acknowledging attraction to more than just guys. I'm still pretty comfortable being a formelss blob, but an ace one :asexualheart:

So big thank you to the phandom for being so vocal about queer topics and sexuality, it literally changed my life :rainbow:
GalaxyDarling

So is Dan's interview for BBC going to air later today? I keep reading about it on Twitter but seen nothing concrete.
citizen_erased
truth bomb

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:21 pm
plinthofmylife wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:11 pm I was outed at the age of 14 (on a kinda unfortunately national level within the homophobic sport I was in; as well as online) and my life kinda became a living hell for the next 3 years until I left school. I made the same mistake as Dan thinking I could be out online and to long-distance friends without other people finding out. Word travels fast.
I had a similar thing happen, except that I was seventeen, it was my best friend that I'd trusted to know my online identity that outed me (by printing my blog entries off and giving them to someone at my high school, which she didn't even attend) and I live in the very homophobic US deep south. My only saving grace is that it was my senior year of high school already so I only had about six months of pure suffering and open hostility to make it through. Word does indeed travel fast. Walking into my senior english class and seeing my teacher reading my blog along with some students is still one of my top ten life trauma moments.

My high school experiences, while not the same as Dan's on the level of physical violence in bullying (I got threats but no one ever followed through) are a lot of why his video resonated so hard with me. I can't imagine having had to deal with what that six months of my life on such a larger scale like he did. It's a different kind of thing altogether I think, but even just the taste of it I had makes my heart ache for him and makes me proud of who he is now.
Same here! I got outed in high school too. I confided in someone I considered a friend that I had a crush on a girl in our year (which was my first ever crush on a girl, too). We got into some kind of silly argument literally like, the next day, and she told everyone I was gay. I live in a small, very religious town in a rural area, so you can imagine that went over great. Within no time, the whole school knew about it. Luckily, no physical violence ever happened, but ho boy it wasn't fun walking through those hallways every day with everyone lined up against the walls, shouting at me. There was also some shouting outside of school, when groups of students gathered and I happened to be nearby. In the end, I just ended up even more socially isolated than I already was, until I graduated and moved away.
bluecaterpillar wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:04 pm also, big generalisation here which is not directed at anyone in particular- i suspect there’s a difference between gay men and women here in that it’s harder for women to recognise that what they feel for other women is more than friendship. since the media etc focuses so much on women’s appearances, whether particular women look attractive etc, and also normalises girls being platonically intimate with each other to a much greater extent than boys. growing up i just assumed that it was a universally agreed upon truth that women are more attractive than men.
wait...is that..not?? universally agreed?? :shrug: (putting this in my mental 'I might be gayer than I thought' list, which is growing a lot lately lmao)
GalaxyDarling

citizen_erased wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:54 pm wait...is that..not?? universally agreed?? :shrug: (putting this in my mental 'I might be gayer than I thought' list, which is growing a lot lately lmao)
Even I agree that women on average are prettier to look at than men, and I actually prefer guys who are somewhat feminine appearing.

Good sis Becky needs to come back