Dan & Phil Part 87: post coming out universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
notworthreading
phillion/danosaur <//3

OhItsElliott wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:46 pm
Templeofshame wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:27 pm Quite a weekend, then; maybe Phil was packing.
I'd actually bet this is the case of why he didn't attend pride instead of *dramatic music* a break up or anything. Especially since we know he's been out to friends and family now for several years, it likely didn't feel like a super big deal for him (unlike dan, who only came out to his parents in the last few months). We don't know their actual lives, maybe he did smaller pride things with friends instead to celebrate, that fits more with what we know about phil as a person anyway.
That or maybe he really didn't want to go to the pride parade and any kind of pride event. Which is absolutely fine.
cheekyc
squish
Pronouns: she/her

sapienveneficus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:57 pm
Ataraxia25 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:53 pm
Susanisnotafish wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:50 pm Sarcasm alert: Phil didn’t go to Pride bc he had to take their new dog (s) to the kennel. Then he had to do laundry for himself and Dan and make sure he booked the car in the correct time zone and that he knew where Dans passport was. Then he had to make sure he made a big stink to the Vidon hotel loudly demanding there be only one king size bed in their hotel room. Oh and he had to make all the arrangements for their Vegas wedding that Cat is going to perform before they even get to Vidcon. end sarcasm. My attempt at humor amongst those funny peeps I so admire here. Pls don’t come for me!

Yep, he couldn't attend because he was feverishly checking the pockets of every single pair of jeans that dan owns to find the passport. lmao
He also had to run to the local bakery and pickup a pistachio muffin for Dan
Maybe this time, it’ll stay intact.
:ribena: it’s the internet support group :ribena:
stufflizloves
living flop

cheekyc wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:19 am
sapienveneficus wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:57 pm
Ataraxia25 wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:53 pm
Susanisnotafish wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:50 pm Sarcasm alert: Phil didn’t go to Pride bc he had to take their new dog (s) to the kennel. Then he had to do laundry for himself and Dan and make sure he booked the car in the correct time zone and that he knew where Dans passport was. Then he had to make sure he made a big stink to the Vidon hotel loudly demanding there be only one king size bed in their hotel room. Oh and he had to make all the arrangements for their Vegas wedding that Cat is going to perform before they even get to Vidcon. end sarcasm. My attempt at humor amongst those funny peeps I so admire here. Pls don’t come for me!

Yep, he couldn't attend because he was feverishly checking the pockets of every single pair of jeans that dan owns to find the passport. lmao
He also had to run to the local bakery and pickup a pistachio muffin for Dan
Maybe this time, it’ll stay intact.
I like that we've reached the lighthearted & sarcastic speculative portion of the evening. *wipes brow* CHEERS :ribena:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

There are also some airport creepshots on the twitter account, but... I'm not posting those. You can go in for a few extra clicks if you're super curious.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It’s so nice to see them in the same frame again. They should be landing soon if they haven’t already so hopefully more pics are out there
stufflizloves
living flop

I’m curious if anyone knows: when they take selfies with people in public locations (ie, the airport or Starbucks or whatever) do they ask the selfie-requestor/fan to delay the posting (as to not encourage more attention while they are in said place)? Seems perfectly reasonable to me—I just had never heard if they do or not?
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Hey guys I dunno how to link this but I think dans interview is up! It’s only a few minutes long but looks to be it https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-488758 ... ools-don-t
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Secretstanner wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:55 am Hey guys I dunno how to link this but I think dans interview is up! It’s only a few minutes long but looks to be it https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-488758 ... ools-don-t
Thank you!!!!

It's so short. The "glass box" bit was a lot for me. I'm sure he didn't mean it as such, but it felt weird hearing a phrase we said so frequently come from Dan.

I want... the rest of everything he said. SO BAD.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Secretstanner wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:55 am Hey guys I dunno how to link this but I think dans interview is up! It’s only a few minutes long but looks to be it https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-488758 ... ools-don-t
Very nice! Dan looks so good and is so articulate. :hearteyes: The angle they took is a bit odd--that Dan is an educational resourse for "young people"; I wonder if that was a core part of the interview, or only was made so in the editing process.

It also looks as though that's more part of an online newsfeed, and not something that will necessarily appear on the air?
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
eevee
emo goose

Thanks so much for posting this!!

interview spoilers in case anyone doesnt wanna be spoiled yet for some reason:
HE MENTIONED THE GLASS CLOSETETETETETETETET im dead

i dont like the title of this article, it's kind of misleading. dan didn't say he wants to provide lgbt education or that he is providing it, but rather he thinks the internet and influencers like him are a great place for said edu. sigh, journalism

Very interesting toward the end there that he mentioned he potentially thinks it's scarier this year to come out than last, that's interesting considering we all thought it was the opposite. we all thought he waited to come out and feels better now, but it almost seems like he doesn't necessarily think it's better now, but he just can't wait any longer.

Didn't love that the interviewer talked about haters but it seems like dan was able to steer the conversation in the direction he wanted.
Dan is very poised and good at interviewing in this clip, and maybe I just haven't watched an interview with him in forever, but i wonder if he got some media training.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Secretstanner
truth bomb

rizzo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 am
Thank you!!!!

It's so short. The "glass box" bit was a lot for me. I'm sure he didn't mean it as such, but it felt weird hearing a phrase we said so frequently come from Dan.

I know that’s what I thought too. How many times have we used a glass box when talking about dan’s sexuality or about their relationship. It’s weird hearing him saying it like oh shit so we were right, when people were saying no he’s just joking don’t take it seriously it was more. And I definitely think we all knew that anyway but It did definitely make me want to know more. I would kill for a liveshow I don’t think there coming back but holy shit! What I wouldn’t do
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

rizzo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:11 am
Thank you!!!!

Yes!! I feel the exact same way. I didn't expect him to phrase it like that, but it really hit hard when he did. I love how poised he was, and Ben seemed like such a lovely, attentive interviewer which is very nice. I also like how Dan mentioned the political nature of it. Really hits that selfless aspect of him coming out for the greater good that hit me so hard when he posted the video.

Oh and random, but if anyone wants to know what he said while they put that music over him leading into him talking about coming out to his family he says: "[fade in]...no idea at all. So for me this wasn't just oh I'm gonna write a funny comedy video about coming out and being gay...[fades to him talking about emailing his family]"
socksparadox
glabella
Pronouns: any

The part where he talks about having no obstacles in his life anymore. Just :happytears:
I can't imagine how liberating it must feel to talk about this so openly after so much repressing. Still so proud he finally feels comfortable enough to live his truth! :love1:
♡ 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞. :napsta:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Maybe I'm harsh but I didn't love that interview and while I had the feeling it would be short, I expected a little more. :shrug:

I'm kinda suspicious about the editing. The interviewer asks whether Dan specifically was 'providing LGBT education' but Dan answers the question by talking about young people coming together on social media and learning from each other. I really feel like something got cut there. The text and title also says that Dan says or believes that influencers like him (why do I feel like Dan would rather die than call himself an influencer lol?) can provide education, but I never actually hear him saying that. It's really weird. Like I'm not at all saying that this manipulative editing or something evil like that, it's just... bad editing. Or bad writing. One of those.

The 'haters' thing which felt like a very juvenile way to ask about homophobic reactions, not sure about the way that question was phrased. I don't know something got cut from that as well, but Dan is very well spoken and gives a great answer about recent examples of homophobia that affects the community rather than comments on his own video.

Also why was the interviewers all Surprised Pikachu Face when Dan said he came out to his family by email? It's literally in Dan's video and a reaction like that just makes you seem unprepared. Which I don't think he was, so it was a complete unnecessary reaction. Someone who hasn't watched Dan's video might be surprised to hear about how he came out to his family, but that doesn't mean the interviewer has to mimic a reaction like that. Just nod or say something like 'yes you mentioned that in your video' or idk literally anything that doesn't look so unprofessional.

Ok I'm done criticizing a 3 minute clip. Dan was great and it's important that the BBC provides a platform like this but a bad item is a bad item.

Anyway I love Dan :love2:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
smolgalaxychild
smol bean
Pronouns: they/them

The interview was so lovely! Dan was so composed and able to express his thoughts so eloquently. It's wonderful to see how much he's matured over the last several years. He's finally living his truth openly and enthusiastically, free from the glass closet and any other obstacles that were holding him back before, and it's such a glow up. I've always thought he was wonderful, still with his flaws, and I keep thinking there's nothing he could do to make me love and respect him more than I already do, and then he just keeps proving me wrong. :love2: :love2: :love2:
dontpanic
#relatable

why have people started equating actual homophobia to haters ? idk why that part irked me so much. Dan was great tho, he's always so good in interviews.
knq
lava lamp

Bit strange to quote Dan saying something the interviewer actually said, seems like clickbait only less interesting. I did like seeing the interview though.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Not my fave interview, the editing was misleading (like everyone else said) but wow him talking about a “glass box” felt so jarring... we know he’s self-aware, it just hits me sometimes. I love Dan and I love hearing him speak and I low key miss him?

Edit: I’m looking at the airport photos and I’m just reminded by how funny it is they both use their own merch as backpacks lmao.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Catallena wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:59 am Maybe I'm harsh but I didn't love that interview and while I had the feeling it would be short, I expected a little more. :shrug:

I'm kinda suspicious about the editing. The interviewer asks whether Dan specifically was 'providing LGBT education' but Dan answers the question by talking about young people coming together on social media and learning from each other. I really feel like something got cut there. The text and title also says that Dan says or believes that influencers like him (why do I feel like Dan would rather die than call himself an influencer lol?) can provide education, but I never actually hear him saying that. It's really weird. Like I'm not at all saying that this manipulative editing or something evil like that, it's just... bad editing. Or bad writing. One of those.

The 'haters' thing which felt like a very juvenile way to ask about homophobic reactions, not sure about the way that question was phrased. I don't know something got cut from that as well, but Dan is very well spoken and gives a great answer about recent examples of homophobia that affects the community rather than comments on his own video.

Also why was the interviewers all Surprised Pikachu Face when Dan said he came out to his family by email? It's literally in Dan's video and a reaction like that just makes you seem unprepared. Which I don't think he was, so it was a complete unnecessary reaction. Someone who hasn't watched Dan's video might be surprised to hear about how he came out to his family, but that doesn't mean the interviewer has to mimic a reaction like that. Just nod or say something like 'yes you mentioned that in your video' or idk literally anything that doesn't look so unprofessional.

Ok I'm done criticizing a 3 minute clip. Dan was great and it's important that the BBC provides a platform like this but a bad item is a bad item.

Anyway I love Dan :love2:
I agree with you about the editing, which is why I want to see the whole thing uncut *cries in traditional media bs* I didn't pick up on the description being different from what Dan actually said, but now you and others have pointed out I think it's odd, but tbh I think most of it goes down to attracting a wider audience, especially since education is up front on the queer news topics right now. I'd also say the surprise at Dan's coming out was more directed toward a viewer who hasn't seen Dan's video before. Again, hearkening back to wanting to reach a wider audience, but you're right it could have been handled more professionally. I don't expect the BBC to go right to clickbait-y stuff but I guess here we are in a sense.

Ultimately, I did love the interview, but you're right to point out the flaws! I think I went in with rose-tinted glasses. Though I still think Dan was really lovely in it. It's nice to see how far he's come with traditional media since the tabinof/tatinof boom.
emoji_pajamas
tol bean

Ahhhh I'm glad he's finally living without that burden over his shoulders, he seems so happy in it!!

I really really really want a safiya collab so I'm crossing my fingers
knq
lava lamp

What was it Dan and Ben were referring to about this month perhaps not being the best/safest to come out? Is that in reference to specific news and/or anti-gay political changes?

(I haven’t been able to watch any news since Trump became my president, so I’m even more ignorant to global events than the average American right now.)
jhamba
procrastinator

I think the glass box part was interesting, because we actually approved of the glass closet (or, I did and assumed everyone else did as well) and thought it was good for them, because it let them have the privacy they needed, and also was enough representation for those who got it.

But, Dan thought of it as a restrictive and claustrophobic thing, which is sad and also very interesting to me.
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
bantsandpheels
phillion/danosaur <//3

This seems to be what Dan was talking about. (warning: bloody image)
Five males between 15 and 18 years old have been arrested in connection with a homophobic attack on a London bus late last month, London police say.

Melania Geymonat posted about the violent incident on her Facebook page, describing what began as a date night with her partner Chris. On the way home, a group of boys began harassing them.

"They started behaving like hooligans, demanding that we kissed so they could enjoy watching, calling us 'lesbians' and describing sexual positions," she wrote. The couple was beaten and bloodied by the group, who allegedly stole their belongings.
It's horrible :(

Also interesting to note:
According to government data, hate crimes in England and Wales targeting victims' sexual orientation rose 27% in 2017-2018 to a total of 11,638 incidents. Hate crimes targeting transgender people rose 32%. Police estimate that those numbers are getting larger, at least in part, because of improved protocol for reporting these crimes to police — but they still likely don't reflect the reality of hate crimes against the LGBTQ community
Sidenote: I'm neither British or American... This seems like a reputable news source but sorry if it's not!
mathsniel
drama llama
Pronouns: he/him

Dan also touched on the anti-inclusive education protests happening in the UK (focused in Birmingham). It's a big thing but here's some stuff about it.

Because it's on the BBC Dan probably couldn't explicitly mention it but there's also the fact that that us in the UK's next Prime Minister is almost certainly going to be a man with a history of homophobia.
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Catallena wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:59 am Also why was the interviewers all Surprised Pikachu Face when Dan said he came out to his family by email? It's literally in Dan's video and a reaction like that just makes you seem unprepared. Which I don't think he was, so it was a complete unnecessary reaction.
This! Daniel came across as the real professional out there. The interviewer was even pulling some random seductive faces? Lol. Anyway, Dan speaks so well on these matters. I can't wait to hear more about this and mental health from him.