Dan & Phil Part 87: post coming out universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

I hope they show that on TV :wavingflag:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I loved that he said “and they do” along with the bit about people thinking they know him from his videos. We realise sometimes how much we don’t know, but still we do get to know them.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

With Interviews like this one, I am reminded once again that i could literally listen to dan talking for hours. He could be talking about economics and i'd listen. I just love when he talks about actual topics (more than just his daily life)
:gayaf:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

flarequake wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 am I loved that he said “and they do” along with the bit about people thinking they know him from his videos. We realise sometimes how much we don’t know, but still we do get to know them.
YEP! That part and the glass closet was THE PARTS for me. It hit me.
:gayaf:
GalaxyDarling

Ben: "Was there hate to your video?"
Dan: "Not as much as I thought."
Me: Aww :hugrb:
GalaxyDarling

The glass box can mean other things than (just) glass closet though: being restricted yet public in more ways than one.
masterofgeometry
squish
Pronouns: she/her

Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 am With Interviews like this one, I am reminded once again that i could literally listen to dan talking for hours. He could be talking about economics and i'd listen. I just love when he talks about actual topics (more than just his daily life)
God yeah, I love listening to deppy talk as like background noise for doing work. I love their natural voices so much?? The ii dvd commentary is fucking amazing for that and I often like to load up one of their youtube livestreams as background noise (younow playbacks on youtube can be a bit crappy in audio quality so I don't listen to them as often)
GalaxyDarling

I like it when Dan rests his arms on his waist. It's a motherly thing to do :cherryblossom:.

kavat
pastel persona

I liked that little interview, even if I would have liked to hear he unedited version of course. It seemed to be made to get clicks and views on Facebook, so I guess it's fine for that medium. I would love a proper hour long interview with the both of them at some point but I doubt we'll get that anytime soon.
Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:50 am
flarequake wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:49 am I loved that he said “and they do” along with the bit about people thinking they know him from his videos. We realise sometimes how much we don’t know, but still we do get to know them.
YEP! That part and the glass closet was THE PARTS for me. It hit me.
Also this!
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I was positively surprised when he said "people feel like they know me so well and they do" because usually celebrities are like "people think they know me but they don't".
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
noodlebum
flower crown

So which talks/panels etc does everyone think Dan and Phil will be going to at Vidcon, aside from their own prearranged events? Or maybe just meeting up with friends they haven't seen for ages :P

I'm not sure how these type of events work as haven't paid much attention previously (asides from watching fun vlogs in hotel rooms/backstage/at Disney) and not attended one. But is it normal for creators to attend other panels even though they aren't on it, or are they really more for the 'community' rather than creators? For example, there's a few LGBT ones on which I thought Dan might be interested in, like LGBT and comedy, or the Trevor project are hosting a couple & Eugene is on one.

I'm quite excited; I haven't been immersed in the phandom (compared to being a casual viewer) long enough to have been here 'live' for DnP at Vidcon. Oh, the possibilities!! :D
autumnhearth
senpai

I like everything Dan said, but the editing was so weird, especially the beginning. Those clips were jarring, why include that much from the Bahamas vid with his empty background? Why not have more from BIG? And waiting for the ad to play while seeing that ‘“‘quote’”’ as the headline, I was thinking that’s a cocky thing to say, I hope that’s part of his plan going forward... cos :? But actually it was just words being put in his mouth and I love that he mentioned online communities as being a safe place for young people to understand and accept their sexuality. :prideheart:

Nice to have confirmation that there wasn’t more to the email (I found the head cannon of him then writing that he and Phil were in a relationship a little awkward) ripping the plaster off makes sense.
The glass metaphor :happytears: even if he doesn’t mean glass closet as a couple, just that he felt constricted (filtered?) and that now he feels free :sobs: Also the literal glass closet he was filming in... please move when you get back to London so that’s no longer a thing, it would be so poetic. Mind you with watching videos there is always glass between him and us, but it’s a beautiful metaphor and applies irl too.
kavat
pastel persona

noodlebum wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:59 am So which talks/panels etc does everyone think Dan and Phil will be going to at Vidcon, aside from their own prearranged events? Or maybe just meeting up with friends they haven't seen for ages :P

I'm not sure how these type of events work as haven't paid much attention previously (asides from watching fun vlogs in hotel rooms/backstage/at Disney) and not attended one. But is it normal for creators to attend other panels even though they aren't on it, or are they really more for the 'community' rather than creators? For example, there's a few LGBT ones on which I thought Dan might be interested in, like LGBT and comedy, or the Trevor project are hosting a couple & Eugene is on one.

I'm quite excited; I haven't been immersed in the phandom (compared to being a casual viewer) long enough to have been here 'live' for DnP at Vidcon. Oh, the possibilities!! :D
These days VidCon separates Creators and Community pretty strictly. The bigger guests like deppy can't walk around the convention floor without being mobbed/stopped all the time which creates safety issues. So I don't think we'll see them in the audience for the panels (unless maybe there are some panels only the creators have access to, idk).

At least some of the panels have been live streamed on YT before, so I hope we get a chance to see them live. I remember watching Julien be so starstruck when he was on the same sofa as deppy last time they went, it was adorable :lol:
noodlebum
flower crown

kavat wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:23 pm
noodlebum wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:59 am So which talks/panels etc does everyone think Dan and Phil will be going to at Vidcon, aside from their own prearranged events? Or maybe just meeting up with friends they haven't seen for ages :P

These days VidCon separates Creators and Community pretty strictly. The bigger guests like deppy can't walk around the convention floor without being mobbed/stopped all the time which creates safety issues. So I don't think we'll see them in the audience for the panels (unless maybe there are some panels only the creators have access to, idk).

At least some of the panels have been live streamed on YT before, so I hope we get a chance to see them live. I remember watching Julien be so starstruck when he was on the same sofa as deppy last time they went, it was adorable :lol:
Ah I thought that might be the case, hence have only ever really seen backstage stuff from them and the others I've followed before. Can imagine it'll get pretty crazy for them just wandering around among the masses :lol:
It'll be great to watch Dan's mental health panel/Phil's Q&A on Youtube after, if possible :)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

There’s a third track at VidCon that they can go to, the Industry one which gives access to panels from the other tracks too and, from my knowledge of the Europe and London ones, has more of a focus on brand deals and maybe tech stuff like algorithms, though the Creator one has some of that too, but a wider range of stuff eg how to do sound and lighting or make amazing thumbnails and why that’s the most important thing ever (hence bright yellow backgrounds and looks of open-mouthed surprise). Quite a few creators aren’t too big to walk the main areas, but as kavat said, these days Deps can’t.

I put my hands on my hips sometimes and I notice myself doing it cos I look bigger and it’s when I’m talking to someone new, I think it’s more a trying-to-look-more-confident thing than a motherly one. Who knows, I guess it can vary, but still, Dan isn’t actually our mother duck ;)
GalaxyDarling

flarequake wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:40 pm I put my hands on my hips sometimes and I notice myself doing it cos I look bigger and it’s when I’m talking to someone new, I think it’s more a trying-to-look-more-confident thing than a motherly one. Who knows, I guess it can vary, but still, Dan isn’t actually our mother duck ;)
There's a difference between placing hands on hips rather than higher towards the waist like Dan did there/often does. I know hand-on-hips is assertive and (straight) men do that a lot, but what Dan does is bit more feminine version. I guess I said motherly because that pose reminds me of my mom :lol: . I do that myself sometimes. For me it's more like a comfort/resting pose. Harry Styles for one also does it quite a lot I believe. It might be a gay thing for a guy to do.
Last edited by GalaxyDarling on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

So in this interview and all of the articles that talked about Phil’s video they referred to Dan as someone that does comedy. I know there were a lot of jokes about it but I’m curious - does he want to be known as a comedian who educates or does he want to transition into educational speaker that does ted talks? I’m just really curious how this is going to figure into his plans regarding YouTube.

And not that it’s related but I just noticed in the description of his last video that in his subscription link he put a (lol) so does that mean the uploads will be as infrequent?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Amiaw wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:59 pm So in this interview and all of the articles that talked about Phil’s video they referred to Dan as someone that does comedy. I know there were a lot of jokes about it but I’m curious - does he want to be known as a comedian who educates or does he want to transition into educational speaker that does ted talks? I’m just really curious how this is going to figure into his plans regarding YouTube.
My guess would be he uses comedian as just traditional media default to be more palatable to people who don't know what youtuber means.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola
rankussy

So after all that is the full interview?
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
snoopysadie

mathsniel wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:21 am Dan also touched on the anti-inclusive education protests happening in the UK (focused in Birmingham). It's a big thing but here's some stuff about it.

Because it's on the BBC Dan probably couldn't explicitly mention it but there's also the fact that that us in the UK's next Prime Minister is almost certainly going to be a man with a history of homophobia.
Oh my. I read part of that and i Just wanna say good luck to you ppl living in the UK.
I hope you can be represented by someone whose past actions/words don't make you wanna barf.
I hate politics.

I really liked the interview but it had a strange vibe as y'all point out. I'd love to watch the full interview tho.

Also VIDCON. I'm so excited. I'm staring my winter break this week (it's cold down here) and I am dying for those m&g videos and the pannels. Also dnp together even if just in pics with fans will make my heart warm <3
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Secretstanner
truth bomb

liola wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:24 pm So after all that is the full interview?
Lol I think people who thought it would be around ten minutes were definitely being optimistic. I actually don’t think the interview was amazing like people are commenting on bens post, I know people are being polite but there’s so many questions he could of asked but choose to ask about how the ‘haters’ responded to his video. I doubt the actual interview was so short it would seem like a waste of time. I think dan gave wonderful answers to the questions he was asked. The going back and forth with saying when the interview was going to be up was annoying but obviously bens not to fully blame just wish it was worth the wait.

Anyway bring on vidcon content! Please boys a gaming video wouldn’t go amiss
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'm really curious to see if their out-of-the-house social media activity kicks up a notch now or if they're gonna lay low in LA for the early part of the week? If they're collab filming I'm sure we'll see other people finding it impossible not to humblebrag about that, at least. But it would make my heart really happy to see some casual ig snaps of them just out and about. Trying not to get my hopes up tooooo much, though.

I'm also still halfway expecting Phil to just pretend they're flying today or tomorrow, lol.
kavat
pastel persona

Phil just posted a Tony the triop update, brilliant :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:01 pm Phil just posted a Tony the triop update, brilliant :lol:
Look he's got a stockpile of decoy stories and he is going to use them come hell or highwater.