Dan & Phil Part 87: post coming out universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
uwu
phillion/danosaur <//3
Pronouns: she/her

Mr Amazing has once again blessed us with quality content
though you may not know where your gifts may lead, and it may not show at the start, when you live your dream,
:love1: :love2: :love1: :love2: you'll find destiny is written in your heart :love1: :love2: :love1: :love2:
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Later this month? Ehh, let's see if we get the 10 mins by Christmas.
bluecaterpillar

the interview was definitely a bit of a letdown for me ngl so i'm glad we're getting a longer version of it. the title the bbc gave it is so misleading though :roll: not a fan of how inaccurate and lowkey arrogant (maybe that's too strong a word) it is when he didn't actually make any claims to be an 'educator' but rather is someone sharing his story with the intention of giving hope to others.

still, it's doing well on the bbc website, currently appears second in the most viewed video section.

i was also kinda thrown at his statement that 'people feel like they know me so well, and they do.' really not what you expect to hear from public figures. and if he thinks his viewers do actually know him, then that indicates he's at a point where he's feels authentic in how he projects himself online. you go live your truth daniel :love2:

i have actually been thinking for the past few days about the weird relationship between youtubers and viewers. i mean, i know a ridiculous amount about deppy, i know where they used to live, how they met, (a lot of) their life stories, mannerisms, the layout of their twoapartments. and they know zilch about me, i'm just another few numbers on their viewcounts and a few more ££ in their pocket. it's a two-way relationship but not an equal one. i have met other, non-deppy yters who i feel personally invested in before and it wasn't bad or awkward, i really liked meeting them! but it did feel kinda strange bc it hit me like 'i've literally watched and cried over your wedding but you've never seen me before.' idk man i don't think i could do what they (i guess both of them but dan to a greater extent) do and open up about myself to millions of strangers.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
christyimnotred
tol bean

I took a long break from IDB but have been reading here again since Dan's video. I've seen a few references to them having 2 apartments. Is there a thread I can go back and read that discusses this?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This isn't Dan and Phil specific but since how much they make is a pretty common topic that comes around regularly, I thought I'd drop in this video where someone goes over her earnings for videos that hit a million or more views.

eevee
emo goose

rizzo wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:08 pm But like... so... who's gonna tell Phil that nobody gives a flip about his prehistoric pet?

Like... wow... it swims. I was really hankering for that update and now - at last - I am satisfied. Counting my lucky stars every day that we're blessed with consistant Triop content.
i didn't even know he still had a triop but damn that is a big triop and it has a proper tank and everything. So Phil's a good triop dad but not houseplant? relatable.
sonicgreen wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:32 pm Dan requesting a better edit of the interview is gay rights
+111111
bluecaterpillar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:02 pm the interview was definitely a bit of a letdown for me ngl so i'm glad we're getting a longer version of it. the title the bbc gave it is so misleading though :roll: not a fan of how inaccurate and lowkey arrogant (maybe that's too strong a word) it is when he didn't actually make any claims to be an 'educator' but rather is someone sharing his story with the intention of giving hope to others.

i was also kinda thrown at his statement that 'people feel like they know me so well, and they do.' really not what you expect to hear from public figures. and if he thinks his viewers do actually know him, then that indicates he's at a point where he's feels authentic in how he projects himself online. you go live your truth daniel :love2:
The title the BBC is milking is so grossly inaccurate and I wonder if that's why Dan is lowkey upset about it and asking for the full video. Honestly you can't expect much from mainstream journalism but they're making it seem like Dan is going to be the next Laci Green or Stevie or whoever. Sorry but we all know that Dan's next video isn't going to be WHICH LUBE SHOULD I USE? GAY ANAL SEX 101 - like, that's what lgbt sex educators do on youtube, and what Dan meant if anything is that he can "educate" by sharing his story and helping others not feel alone. I don't even think he's going to attempt to do education like contrapoints or stuff like "what's the difference between bi and gay?" because he expressed immense confusion over those topics in his coming out video. I don't think that Dan's trying to be an lgbt "educator", I think he's trying to be an lgbt community facilitator based on what he said in the small cut of the interview we got.

tbh tho imagine Dan doing lube reviews. like. in this universe anything is possible tbh. He did deadass acknowledge the glass closet so really anything is possible these days...

Definitely a good sign that he's accepting his viewers know him and admitting that -- that coupled with his enthusiasm for his followers at pride is really warming my heart, I was there for the entire 2012 thing, and Dan was petrified of his own supporters then. Now he's finally seeming to truly appreciate us, and I wonder if he'd even call us his lil family or something someday. I'm just so glad that Dan is truly, genuinely feeling the love on more than a "they pay my bills" way. At least, that's what it looks like.

This also makes me wonder if Dan might be more of a "vlogger" type person after this - maybe give us more content about his life and his day to day or more anecdotes/stories and just be more lax and more like it used to be. not this internet support group BS (sorry to anyone who likes that) - i don't think he'll ever be a dailyvlogger given how private he and phil are, but i just hope dan can feel like he can be authentic with us now on more levels than just coming out - I'm excited for it!
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Luu
tol bean
Pronouns: She/her

Not very related to the current topic but I'm curious to know (feel free to not answer if it's too personal), has anyone ever talked to their therapist how much of an influence these guys are in our lives? Like how emotionally connected we are to them? :shrug:

I just got back from therapy and I mentioned how much of an important rol d&p have in my life, especially Dan. I almost feel kind of silly and a little ashamed to tell my therapist that a lot of my views on the world, how I feel about certain things and how I deal with circumstances are influenced and learned from Dan. He's helped me to become a better person and not being ashamed in who I am or what I feel.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this as I feel weird that two random guys from the Internet who I'll probably never meet and have no idea who I am have so much power over me lol. :shame:

(sorry if this didn't make much sense, my english is not very good)
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

eevee wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 pm tbh tho imagine Dan doing lube reviews. like. in this universe anything is possible tbh.
I feel like there was some degree of inadvertent lube reviewing back in the day, but the information given didn't seem terribly useful.
eevee
emo goose

Templeofshame wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:39 pm
eevee wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:31 pm tbh tho imagine Dan doing lube reviews. like. in this universe anything is possible tbh.
I feel like there was some degree of inadvertent lube reviewing back in the day, but the information given didn't seem terribly useful.
idk what you're talking about, he was simply comparing exotic alcoholic drinks :ribena:
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Phantasy
woodland creature

Dang it, Dan... why’d you have to go and shoot holes in Phil’s carefully planned travel timeline misdirect!
Ablissa
pastel persona

Dan posted an ig story from LA. I'm hesitantly becoming hopeful that we may get some more ig content during their VidCon trip.
Last edited by lefthandedism on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: resized image
knq
lava lamp

Luu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 pm Not very related to the current topic but I'm curious to know (feel free to not answer if it's too personal), has anyone ever talked to their therapist how much of an influence these guys are in our lives? Like how emotionally connected we are to them? :shrug:

I just got back from therapy and I mentioned how much of an important rol d&p have in my life, especially Dan. I almost feel kind of silly and a little ashamed to tell my therapist that a lot of my views on the world, how I feel about certain things and how I deal with circumstances are influenced and learned from Dan. He's helped me to become a better person and not being ashamed in who I am or what I feel.

Please tell me I'm not alone in this as I feel weird that two random guys from the Internet who I'll probably never meet and have no idea who I am have so much power over me lol. :shame:

You're definitely not the only one! I told my former therapist when Dan came out. She was happy for him. :lol: And in general I know I've seen others post about how some topic Dan brought up is going to be an important part of a therapy appointment.
eevee
emo goose

knq wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:45 pm
Luu wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 pm Not very related to the current topic but I'm curious to know (feel free to not answer if it's too personal), has anyone ever talked to their therapist how much of an influence these guys are in our lives? Like how emotionally connected we are to them? :shrug:

You're definitely not the only one! I told my former therapist when Dan came out. She was happy for him. :lol: And in general I know I've seen others post about how some topic Dan brought up is going to be an important part of a therapy appointment.
I told mine because Dan inspired me to come out to my own family and on facebook so I talked to her about that :)

I also talked to the new girl i'm dating about it....i was trying to be casual but i'm sure i sounded like HEY LOOK AT MY YOUTUBER! IM SO PROUD OF HIM! lmao
cheekyc
squish

Ablissa wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:45 pm Dan posted an ig story from LA. I'm hesitantly becoming hopeful that we may get some more ig content during their VidCon trip.
I was about to post this! I’m really nervous-cited as to how this trip will go.
:ribena: it’s the internet support group :ribena:
bluecaterpillar

alittledizzy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm
this was really interesting! dnp must do quite well given that a significant proportion of their fanbase is american. not so sure about how beneficial their viewers' age demographic is to them but i seem to recall seeing a screenshot of a yt stats page (maybe?) which showed a lot more ~older (ie 18+ lol) subscribers than the 'phandom stereotype' suggests. although of course lots of people lie about their age when they make a youtube account - i know i did back in the day. also didn't know that yters can now put ads in the middle of 10min+ videos! that must be annoying as a viewer but then i have had adblock installed since like 2015 :lol:

christyimnotred i just searched this forum for stuff like 'twoflats' and 'apartment layout', there was quite a bit of stuff scattered across a bunch of threads.
there’s not a star in heaven that we can’t reach
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Phantasy wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:43 pm Dang it, Dan... why’d you have to go and shoot holes in Phil’s carefully planned travel timeline misdirect!
idk what you're on about. clearly, Dan is in LA and Phil stayed home to take care of the triop.

the man at the airport? Dan's new boyfriend, er... Will.
stufflizloves
living flop

cheekyc wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:50 pm
Ablissa wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:45 pm Dan posted an ig story from LA. I'm hesitantly becoming hopeful that we may get some more ig content during their VidCon trip.
"nervous-cited" is a GREAT word & exactly how I feel too. :love2:
Ablissa
pastel persona

stufflizloves wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 am
I'm the same way! I want to be excited but I'm trying to keep my hopes WAY low so that I'm not disappointed. We've entered a very strange time, where I absolutely don't know what to expect. I do look forward to seeing some m&g pictures though, but I'm curious about the time pre- and post-VidCon + their panels.
cheekyc
squish

stufflizloves wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:09 am
NGL, I stole it from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic when I was 10. It’s mine now.
:ribena: it’s the internet support group :ribena:
snoopysadie

eevee wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 pm

I told mine because Dan inspired me to come out to my own family and on facebook so I talked to her about that :)

I also talked to the new girl i'm dating about it....i was trying to be casual but i'm sure i sounded like HEY LOOK AT MY YOUTUBER! IM SO PROUD OF HIM! lmao
I went to my therapist thanks to Dan. When Daniel and Depression came out I was like... okay, it's time to treat that depression yourself, hoe.
I have told my shrink about deppy but I since used them as emotional shields/safety blankets for a big part of 2016/2017 I think I ruined them for her.
I told her Dan came out tho and she was happy I was feeling more comfortable with my queerness after that. :rainbow:
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Luu
tol bean
Pronouns: She/her

eevee wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:49 pm

Oooo thank you! I knew I wasn't the only one! :D
eevee
emo goose

cheekyc wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:20 am NGL, I stole it from My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic when I was 10. It’s mine now.
off topic but omg i love MLP:FiM
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Not only do I talk to my therapist about deppy, she endorses them because it gives me something to focus on besides work (because I do a lot of that) and because my job is similar (content creation/merch) so I can use my reaction to their work to process how I'm feeling about my own audience.

I sent her Dan's video and said if she got some time to watch it, it would make her laugh and cry.
She watched and sent back a blank email with just the subject line: "It was all you said it was and more".
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I don’t know about anyone else but I am ready for some non-creep shots of dnp out and about. Where are all of the fans!?
eevee
emo goose

Amiaw wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 am I don’t know about anyone else but I am ready for some non-creep shots of dnp out and about. Where are all of the fans!?
Well there could be vidcon attendees there already, so i bet they're in lay-low mode