Dan & Phil Part 87: post coming out universe

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

flarequake wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:47 pm I don’t suppose there’s a way to archive a live ig stream? I can’t see it on their page anymore at all. VidCon used to upload the panels, but it was a while afterwards.
We're going to have it up on the IDB channel in a bit!
alien
procrastinator

My hope is that they're just waiting for the spotlight of them coming out (especially all the attention dan's video got) to dim a bit before joint content returns. Like they knew that coming out would bring in new people and that's great but I bet they were so comfortable with the phandom the last two years that now they might want to wait until the new people who have just come for the omg gays! to lose interest and they can just go back to being dan and phil without a glass wall in front of them or whatever dan said in his interview.

Though I'm hesitant to use the phrase "go back to being" because especially after dan's panel there was a lot of internal torment with how things used to be. I don't want him to go back to that under any circumstance.

Also did the adcouncil livestream drop out early for anyone else?
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

I really hope Dan's dad accepts him if he already hasn't. That would be very important.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

alien
procrastinator

The thread names made me remember that I've been wondering if Vegas was specified for their road trip or just Nevada? I know when you think Nevada most people immediately just think Vegas but there are other places to go in Nevada. So I'm wondering if people are just assuming Vegas or did Phil mention it somewhere and I missed it?
stufflizloves
living flop

..can I confess that i thought mikey was dan for a split second & thought "WTF does dan look so different???" and then oh..thats a different white guy lol.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Maybe they want to return to joint content but no longer want to keep the gaming aspect of it? Bc let's be real gaming on YouTube was popular in 2014.. not so much anymore.

Dan is so so precious. Those couple of minutes I saw on Twitter were everything. Wow i love his smile and his adorable self :))))
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
knq
lava lamp

Phil said Nevada and we’re just assuming Vegas afaik

I hope we get Vegas instastories! I love when dnp travel. It’s like I’m traveling, except less effort.

Orbit of Uranus is more cursed than philussy and I voted for it anyway. hate you daniel
Cafil
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

yellowsubmarine wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:14 pm Maybe they want to return to joint content but no longer want to keep the gaming aspect of it? Bc let's be real gaming on YouTube was popular in 2014.. not so much anymore.
That's actually what I've been thinking, someone mentioned this way back when hiatus was still brand new and I'll hold on to this thought until proven otherwise. And honestly I think it'd be beneficial to rebrand the gaming channel into just a general joint channel. They'd have their own channels completely to themselves.
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

@alien it stopped abruptly for me as well.

I didn't even get that (gaming channel me and Phil had) from it but I have hearing problems so I believe you.
I also think joint content is coming back but when they feel like everything is calmer and I do wish they start doing board games o other stuff more frequently.

And let me present to you my favourite moments from the panel that we should definitely be talking about:
- Hannah Hart saying "i thought trying to live my truth was your coming out video" was so funny
- Dan yelling like a 12-year-old when she mentioned making "one video a week for the rest of your life"
- Also Dan referring to him having been a big queer all that time as "a plot twist"
- Hannah talking about suddenly realising she has not uploaded in 6 weeks and dan being like "shit that me"
- "Monetise your pain" - Daniel James Howell 2k19.

Also, I'm happy the Phil name drop count was 1 because this panel was focusing on other things.

(edited because i wrote ass and you could not take me seriously)
Last edited by snoopysadie on Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Evening42
dank meme

Megancita75 wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:24 pm I did not know anything about Dan and Phil until YouTube's algorithm suggested Dan's coming out video to me when it debuted. Queer content is of interest to me, so I watched, was utterly charmed and beguiled, and then fell headfirst into an immersive Internet obsession that was both deeply satisfying and deeply distressing in how hijacked my brain felt. I am so happy I never knew about these two lads when their career was unfolding in real time because I think it would have wrecked (REKT?) me.

Re: an earlier comment. I too this week talked to my therapist about why I have fallen so hard into this universe and WHAT DID IT MEAN?

So I'm just going to brain dump here some of the stored-up observations I’ve had in reaction to both Dan and Phil’s coming out videos but also all of their other content I’ve inhaled the last few weeks.

Laugh and listen: So apparently watching other people laugh and be physically affectionate is therapeutic for me. I am completely fascinated by how much fun they have together. I’m also really intrigued by their conversational style – it reminds me of the “yes, and” idea of improvisational comedy, where you don’t steer an interaction; instead you just listen, pay attention, and respond in the moment to the other person and let that willingness and openness become the force that helps each participant discover what they are mutually creating. While I’m sure there is scripting and artifice that goes into a filmed conversation, I do think the fact that they are honestly listening and responding to each other is what gives their interactions such authenticity and vitality. That’s quite a different way from how I approach conversation – and it makes me want to try out a more fluid interpersonal approach.

Expression and acceptance: I adored the anger, the sexual energy, the absolute defiance and empathy in Dan’s video. And I equally adored the humor, the positivity, the reassurance, and the playfulness of Phil’s video. Both made me think a bit more the last few weeks about what it means to truly accept and understand yourself, rather than performing for someone else, and the bravery involved in that choice.

Creative control: What I love about being a pop culture consumer is finding content that has a backbone made up of intelligence and unapologetic aesthetic commitment. I get that in spades from most – not all – of DNPs content. The stuff from this past year (videos, social media posts, marketing) in particular seems very strategic to me – a conscious uncoupling, perhaps, but with a definite creative vision. I find that fascinating, and am very curious about the logistics of it all – the conversations that go into establishing a creative arc or changing an established creative brand. As someone who isn’t particularly creative, I find the sense of ownership I get from DNP’s content to be just as interesting as the content itself.

Since I’m new, I’m not particularly invested in their private lives. My take on Dan’s video was that he was making it clear that their romantic relationship was in the past, that the present is one of platonic companionship and creative partnership, and that the future is for fucking around. I would be happy to be proven wrong, though, but in general don't want to speculate.

In terms of future content, from Phil I’d love to see him get really, really weird. I would totally watch some surreal, absurdist shit from him. From Dan, I’d love to see some highly produced video essays, even if that means like four videos a year. I do love the joint gaming content, though, and would be happy if they did more of that. If both of them decide to try other pursuits – writing, film, producing – I’d still be interested in following their careers.

A random list of things I’ve been introduced to via DNP:
  • The theory of parasocial interactions/relationships
  • The ContraPoints channel
  • A better understanding of meme culture

Things I’ve bought because of DNP:
  • The Obama Llama game
  • Ribena
  • Malteasers
-- Signed a 44 y/o woman who has been massively touched, inspired, and entertained, but would really like to get the fuck back to my life now
I’ve often wondered why I, as someone in their 40s as well, likes Dan and Phil so much. This post just about sums it up! Great post :) . I vacillate between thinking they are together and then not sometimes depending on the day, but whichever - their chemistry together and humour cheers me up and makes me happy.

I’m now off to light my Phil candle which has just arrived
Evening42
dank meme

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 pm
flarequake wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:47 pm I don’t suppose there’s a way to archive a live ig stream? I can’t see it on their page anymore at all. VidCon used to upload the panels, but it was a while afterwards.
Thank you IDB, I’m in a really annoying Timezone and wasn’t able to watch so I appreciate all the work you all do
cheekyc
squish

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:48 pm
TY!! I totally slept through the stream. Whoops.
:ribena: it’s the internet support group :ribena:
Phantasy
woodland creature

sparkle wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:30 pm Oh thank god. Dan's merch is hideous. (soz Dan. Still love you xx)
I mean... with that sweater especially it looks like one of the shitpost anti-aesthetic images he used to like a lot on tumblr. And the crossbody bag, I’m just offended by the poor timing of dropping their joint branding and not releasing a “phannie pack”... I mean c’mon!

I thought the skeleton tank top was a step forward, but yeah this new batch is a dud—in the future, more Alexander McQueen and less shitpost/meme vibes. (and maybe expand into monochrome instead of just jet black)
Last edited by Phantasy on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
uwu
phillion/danosaur <//3

The fact that orbit of uranus could very well become the name of the next thread has me cackling
though you may not know where your gifts may lead, and it may not show at the start, when you live your dream,
:love1: :love2: :love1: :love2: you'll find destiny is written in your heart :love1: :love2: :love1: :love2:
cheekyc
squish

Just a comment, but I am SO excited for Phil’s panel tomorrow. I think they chose a really interesting host, as Taylor Lorenz (the mod) usually covers politics and social issues for the Atlantic. I’m excited to see what both of them bring to the table.
:ribena: it’s the internet support group :ribena:
Omgsonew
crusty sponge

I'm lowkey relieved most of y'all hate Dan's merch too, I thought I was just being a snobby asshole
firsttimeposter
living flop

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 pm
Ablissa wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:59 pm I only just tuned in, what context was that dapg answer in?
Either way, fuck, that makes me sad...
He was talking about frequency of uploading and said "the gaming channel me and Phil had" - tbh I'm just gonna chill on denial river. Dan misspeaks all the time. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't? But I'm too tired and enjoying hearing Dan too much to want to catastrophize it.
I haven’t listened to the clip and context of him saying this, however I feel it’s necessary to remember that he was telling an unrelated story which was more about the frequency of the videos that he was uncomfortable with back then - if he said “the gaming channel we have” he would’ve had to explain “oh but we don’t post on it anymore” which would’ve been a quite irrelevant tangent if that wasn’t the subject he wanted to explore. But idk, perhaps he does think of the gaming channel as ‘dead’? hmm
Ablissa
pastel persona

Re the "had" thing in relation to DAPG - my initial reaction was based on twitter drama. Having now heard it myself, I'm pretty convinced it was a word flub or figure of speech. I really don't think Dan would choose a VidCon mental health panel to subtly tell us all that DAPG is dead forever.

Plus I'm still convinced they'll give us the now :gayaf: Devan wedding. So I'm waiting here patiently. If DAPG won't be a thing, then a DanAndPhil channel will take its place with all kinds of joint content as opposed to just games.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Ablissa wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:54 am Re the "had" thing in relation to DAPG - my initial reaction was based on twitter drama. Having now heard it myself, I'm pretty convinced it was a word flub or figure of speech. I really don't think Dan would choose a VidCon mental health panel to subtly tell us all that DAPG is dead forever.
Yeah I was watching live and took the 'had' to be a mix of a word flub type thing, and also the fact that dan was speaking about his past feelings in regards to the gaming channel so he was already using past tense sort of like how he talked about his and phil's relationship in the "past" in BIG because he was already speaking in the past tense but people drew conclusions anyway okay not completely similar but yeah I'm still mystified by those opinions

I knew there would be a bunch of people automatically taking it as some sort of definitive statement though, but I literally don't see that quote as anything definitive either way. The gaming channel could be dead, it could not be dead, but dan saying the word 'had' does not make any difference in my opinion at all because it did not actually give us any new information.

Honestly, I think a lot of people were already waiting for something at vidcon to confirm or unconfirm future joint content and were ready to grasp at straws at any possible thing that would confirm either way.

I liked the panel overall, and can't wait for it to be uploaded on the idb channel!
DnP1991
tol bean

I'm at vidcon right now and i'm still not over dan??? I had really good seats for once and Dan's ankles were so cute! I sit on my leg all the time and somehow Dan wad cuter doing it?

I'm seeing a lot of people worried about the "had" comment and also the bit where he talked about "having no one if his career ended" (i can't remember his exact words).

I don't think either necessarily mean anything big. But then again I know nothing about their lives besides what they show, Haha
Lobster
glabella

:love2:
Lobster
glabella

Sorry to double post, but aaaahhhh!! They're hanging out with Safiya and Tyler!! All my dreams are alive! Plus Cristine and someone I don't know.
Collab maybe??
pcvaidya
squish

Lobster wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 am Sorry to double post, but aaaahhhh!! They're hanging out with Safiya and Tyler!! All my dreams are alive! Plus Cristine and someone I don't know.
Collab maybe??
That’s Cristine’s sister Jen!

Really, really hoping they film collabs with both of them :D
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious