Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

:forthememe:

(look, we have this emoji and i see no better time to use it.)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

here's what you missed on glee the last thread!
Lobster wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:53 am :love2:
pcvaidya wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:04 am
Lobster wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:01 am Sorry to double post, but aaaahhhh!! They're hanging out with Safiya and Tyler!! All my dreams are alive! Plus Cristine and someone I don't know.
Collab maybe??
That’s Cristine’s sister Jen!

Really, really hoping they film collabs with both of them :D
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

FABULOUS now i just need them to hang out with jenna and julien and to get the natalie/dan irl interaction i desperately crave and this vidcon will have checked all of my boxes
stufflizloves
living flop

at the risk of sounding like the mean girls character who just wanted to bake a cake of rainbows and smiles, as much as i would LOVE (loooooove!!) a collab with any of the lovelies in that photo, i mostly just hope they are hanging out, having a good time, and getting some double date time quality time in. i just want them to be frieeeeends! i love tyler & saf so much and their collective dynamic makes so much sense to me. :happytears: <3
hownottodrive
smol bean

I’ve seen lots of talk about collabs on twitter/tumblr after Phil posted his story and I was wondering: do you think they would be okay with their first content post-coming out (not necessarily joint but just in general) being on someone else’s channel/with someone else on their channels? Like do you think would they prefer to put out something of their own first or might a collab be an ideal, low-key way to ease back in to content? Or am I just overthinking it (very possible, lol).
Lobster
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

nigel ratburn wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 am FABULOUS now i just need them to hang out with jenna and julien and to get the natalie/dan irl interaction i desperately crave and this vidcon will have checked all of my boxes
I don't think J&J are at Vidcon this year, unfortunately
nigel ratburn

Lobster wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:19 am
nigel ratburn wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:11 am FABULOUS now i just need them to hang out with jenna and julien and to get the natalie/dan irl interaction i desperately crave and this vidcon will have checked all of my boxes
I don't think J&J are at Vidcon this year, unfortunately
:'( top 10 anime betrayals
poweroftriangles
Pronouns: he/him

Hello new thread! Looks like I slept through a lot, thanks timezones. Gonna watch the panel whenever it's up!

I personally think joint content is just on hold until the dust settles a bit. It won't be long until something else sensational or problematic happens on YouTube and the focus goes there.
Dan did say they like working together, and most of their viewers like their chemistry best of all. Until then, gonna watch tumblr user pseudophan's 'days without dapg video' post get longer and longer lmao.
anti-YouNow club :sarcasticclap:
Galaxyvoid
first-time poster
Pronouns: Them/him

Hi I've been lurking a little while and have literally just made an account to represent for the minority who actually love Dan's new merch :rainbowtears:
Obvs it's not for everyone but I'm really surprised more people don't love it, that hoodie feels like it's been pulled out of my brain and designed especially for me! (It's very post-emo trans guy chic and I'm craving an oversized one to bury myself in for winter) The bumbag also, I wouldn't get it just because I always leave the house with too much stuff to fit in there but it's very on-trend and I love the aesthetic of it.
I love Phil's stuff too (I'm one of the apparently-minority who saw that pocket mirror and went "yes! I've been looking for one of those for ages!!" lol) but this and the last batch of Dan merch is so me. Hopefully the lack of interest in the hoodie means they won't sell out before I can afford to drop £40 on something non-essential :')
I'm probably going to go back to lurking now but nice to meet you all!
OhItsElliott
drama llama
Pronouns: He/him

hownottodrive wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:18 am I’ve seen lots of talk about collabs on twitter/tumblr after Phil posted his story and I was wondering: do you think they would be okay with their first content post-coming out (not necessarily joint but just in general) being on someone else’s channel/with someone else on their channels? Like do you think would they prefer to put out something of their own first or might a collab be an ideal, low-key way to ease back in to content? Or am I just overthinking it (very possible, lol).
I feel like they would likely think of collabs on others channels as being less pressure than joint content on any of their own. It's like on another youtubers channel, the other people already set a tone for the video and have their own styles of content which means waaay less pressure to keep up the familiar dan and phil "act" that we as an audience have grown to know and love. All they have to do it play off of the energy the other youtubers bring instead of completely setting the tone themselves. Plus on other people's channels, the video's audience is going to be little more diversified and therefore, they might feel less phan "are they/aren't they" scrutiny. (That's not to imply in any way that their joint content is an act, just to be clear, it's just their own unique pace and the consistency they try to keep during it on their channels so the viewer knows to a certain extent what to expect but I don't think those things make the interactions disingenuous. Hope I'm articulating this alright, it late here)
starwatersong
phabergé

(Tyler is Safiya Nygaard’s fiancé).
knq
lava lamp

I’m curious of those who watched the mental health panel, did you learn anything new about Dan’s experiences? I’ve really only seen people discussing the gaming channel.

I may not end up watching it because those sort of interview/panel situations always trigger my second hand social anxiety really bad. I did see Dan sitting with his feet folded up under him though. Baby <3
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Just uploaded the Tackling Mental Health Online panel to the In Depth Bants channel! Thanks to our exclusive reporter on the scene obsessivelymoody for recording! :stan:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Nothing huge; he talked a bit about how an online friend on MySpace had helped him a lot as a teen when he felt very alone, which I really appreciated him saying as so often online friendships are seen as much lesser than irl ones, and - as he pointed out - how that contact with someone can help so much, even if you never meet irl and drift apart as they did - they can still help at that particular point in your life. He also touched on wanting a break from the relentless schedule of the gaming channel while he was going through personal growth after last year, but that wasn’t totally new as he talked about it a bit in the mukbang.

Re. the new merch, I wouldn’t say it was necessarily ‘my style’; then again I’m increasingly finding I don’t really have a style, and as someone on twitter said, I’m dressing (in my 30s) like the cool teen I never got to be at the time. :lol: The new hoodie is weird enough that I like it and decided to pick it up.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
noodlebum
flower crown

madzilla84 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:31 am Nothing huge; he talked a bit about how an online friend on MySpace had helped him a lot as a teen when he felt very alone, which I really appreciated him saying as so often online friendships are seen as much lesser than irl ones, and - as he pointed out - how that contact with someone can help so much, even if you never meet irl and drift apart as they did - they can still help at that particular point in your life.
That's so true - just because you don't stay friends with someone for whatever reason, it's always good to remember what they brought to your life at that moment - like Dan saying his relationship with Phil in 2009 was so needed and appreciated at that exact time. Of course they stayed friends/more.
I've got lots of friends that have come and gone, but rather than be sour about it or think of them ending, I like to remember the positive impact they had for that moment. Online ones are often good in the sense that you likely met through mutual interests, rather than via proximity, so someone to talk and bond to about things maybe school friends aren't interested in.
intoapuddle
spork

I don't watch safiya or the other people in the pic, but it makes me happy to know they're hanging out with youtubers they enjoy and I hope they make sure to film a collab or two!

I think Dan did really well on the panel. Him and Hannah were obviously more knowledgeable on the issues in comparison to the other people (which is fine - it's a yt convention, people will mostly speak from experience and that can help just as much) but he really handled himself with poise and made a lot of good points. I was surprised and happy that he brought up his coming out. That's really brave to do in front of a crowd.

It was also really cool to hear the process he went through before the coming out video; how "trying to live my truth" was his way of saying that he's coming back when he's ready to talk about his queerness, and how not being out began to eat at him. I'm so thrilled that he is on the other side of that now and able to speak openly about it. I hope his experiences at Vidcon further cement the idea that being more open is the right path for him.
GalaxyDarling

The quote about Dan's family went like "My family has no money, so if I destroy my career I have nothing", at around 30 mins mark of the panel upload.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Something else came back to me, which was when he talked about coming from a family with not much money, and the added pressure that put on him because if he failed, he’d have nothing. Particularly when you think about his decision to drop out of uni to pursue YouTube and what a terrifying risk that must have felt like. I know it’s not exactly a nice feeling to have to go cap in hand to your parents as an adult if you screw up and need help, but knowing that option/cushion is there makes taking risks and ‘following your dream’ have a very different feeling than having no safety net whatsoever and being completely on your own in that situation. I’m so glad he was brave enough to do it, and it certainly helps to explain why he throws himself with such passion into everything he does.

ETA: heh, posted at the same time! But yes, that comment meant a lot to me.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
GalaxyDarling

Oh yes, madzilla84, lol! Him and Phil are probably financially stable now, which is great, but having humble beginnings really makes you appreciate the money when you eventually get to have it.
GalaxyDarling

I think Dan's future videos are going to continue being more serious in tone, with some jokes slipped in to lighten the mood. He might not perform skits anymore for his solo channel at least. I can see him getting more political, if not get involved in politics.
kavat
pastel persona

I really liked when Dan talked about how online friendships can be just as helpful if you don't have someone near you to talk to. I for example have a lot easier to communicate my feelings in writing than face to face to someone, because I can choose and change my wording to better get my feelings across. When I'm talking to someone it easily just turns into a bunch of "eeeh"s and "I don't know"s because I'm not great at processing things in the moment and when I'm (or feeling like I'm) under pressure. So having someone online to talk to can be such a great outlet.
GalaxyDarling

kavat wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:34 am I really liked when Dan talked about how online friendships can be just as helpful if you don't have someone near you to talk to. I for example have a lot easier to communicate my feelings in writing than face to face to someone, because I can choose and change my wording to better get my feelings across.
This! For me it's that I'm shy, so it's difficult to make new friends face-to-face, to trust someone with my thoughts, but this kinda online detour strips that barrier down.

I wonder what that MySpace girl Dan chatted with thinks about him now. Sounds like she was really important to him at the time.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

GalaxyDarling wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:26 am I think Dan's future videos are going to continue being more serious in tone, with some jokes slipped in to lighten the mood. He might not perform skits anymore for his solo channel at least. I can see him getting more political, if not get involved in politics.
Hmm, you may be right, though I kinda hope that isn’t 100% the case. I hope he still feels like not everything has to be Highbrow and Deep to be valuable content. Of course, if he doesn’t enjoy making the lil skits any more then that’s totally fine; more than anything I want him to be making what he wants to make and enjoys making - but he’s a wonderful storyteller, and I’d like to still see some stuff that’s just for fun peppered in among the deep and meaningful stuff I’m sure is coming. For example, a favourite of mine is I Nearly Blinded Myself, which doesn’t really have a Message (except maybe ... don’t Do That lol), and that’s fine. He does still refer to himself as a ‘comedian’ though, so I don’t think we’re about to enter the era of entirely Serious Business Dan. (Not to be confused with srs bsnss Dan, who ironically was not serious at all)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
GalaxyDarling

madzilla84 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:53 am Hmm, you may be right, though I kinda hope that isn’t 100% the case. ... He does still refer to himself as a ‘comedian’ though, so I don’t think we’re about to enter the era of entirely Serious Business Dan. (Not to be confused with srs bsnss Dan, who ironically was not serious at all)
Yeah, he will be more unironically serious. The sexual innuendo will deffo persist, but the Nutella teeth brushing days are over :lol:. I would love to see him cross-dressing again though. Becky, please.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Here's to hoping that Cristine supplied Dan with some of her new Holo nail polish!
(OG Nailogical fans might remember that she mentions D&P in a few of her earlier videos, like referencing Pro Tip or looking for their signature at the FineBros studio)