Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
stufflizloves
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

icedcoffeestan wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:41 am Also hi I'm sorry I know its probably super weird for someone's first post on a forum to be a long and occasionally overly personal essay but this is topic I care so much about (generally speaking - not just in a way that's related to Dan and Phil lol) that it drove me to abandon my forever-lurking tendencies.
I just wanted to say I really enjoyed and connected with your post--thanks for sharing it. I'm glad you came out of lurking. :welcome:
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I remember a few months ago posting about how dan and Phil were following scriptwriters and Netflix and it seems like Phil has been working ok pitches, etc at least since last year. I’m really curious to know what’s happening with it because talking openly about it might mean somethings in the works. I’m also really curious how Dan fits in- if he’s pitching his own ideas because he’s the one that went to the scriptwriters retreat...much to think about.
knq
lava lamp

icedcoffeestan wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:41 am
blahblahblah8 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 pm
Phantasy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 pm Re: at Dan mentioning that his parents was/are poor (and not for the first time)... I gather from the context he’s just making a (exaggerated) point that if his career failed he wouldn’t have the safety net of relying on his (rich) parents? A bit of an odd statement for a 28yo to make whose been self sufficient since 18 and is a millionaire—like he’s going to ask for a loan or crash in his parents basement if he stops making videos...?

And no idea about his parents real financial situation, maybe they struggled with money (pretty typical for most to some extent), or are in a lower tier of middle class, but to describe them as poor seems out of touch... poor compared to what... London millionaires? They vacationed regularly, had a nice modest home which they still have (Adrian’s vlogs confirms that), and what did he have like 6 guitar hero controllers in AmazingDan?? I know poor is a relative term, but c’mon... either they have a money problem (that maybe Dan shouldn’t be broadcasting), he’s out of touch, or is exaggerating for effect (bullshitting).
:shrug:
Yeah I also thought that was such a strange thing for him to say. There’s no way he would have “nothing” and have to turn to parents even if he never made another video again. Him using the word poor has always kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t wanna say anything about it yesterday bec I thought it would be too negative when everything else he said at the panel was great but I do agree with you.
Hi sorry I know this conversation has well moved on at this point but I feel the need to comment on this because it's a mindset that I encounter at my job a lot that I really really don't like. I currently work in the same Title 1 school that I went to as a kid (which for non-Americans: Title 1 means that more than 75% of the student population exists within an economic status that qualifies them for free or reduced price school lunch). The kids I teach (and myself when I was young) very resolutely fall into the category of "poor." However, when outsiders come into the building they're shocked (and sometimes weirdly angry?) that these poor kids have things like new iphones or nice shoes or that they get lunch from mcdonalds sometimes or whatever. People often have this weird idea in their head that in order for someone to be "poor" they have to live in abject poverty with nothing but that's not the case. My family never went on trips but all of my siblings and I got to go all out for our proms because it was important to our mom that we had one magical night. She saved all year so we could have insanely nice experiences but we were still very much poor at the time. I could go on and on about how classist this mindset is but I don't want to come on too intensely which I know I can easily do with this topic.

Like some others have already pointed out, what he's said about his family having nothing for him to fall back on could mean a number of things. It could be that he just had less than the kids he went to school with and that completely skewed his perception. It could be that his family had relatively humble means in an expensive area. It could mean that his family had money but the flow of that money was inconsistent or unreliable. It could mean that for whatever reason, he felt if he ruined his career at 20 after dropping out he didnt think his family would share any resources they had with him if he went back to them (regardless of whether or not that would have actually been the case). It could very likely be related to one of the factors that he yadda yadda'd over in his coming out video to explain why his home didn't feel like a safe space that I don't feel particularly comfortable speculating on further (violence, addiction, & health issues).

I know Dan can exaggerate a lot but since he's brought up not having a lot of money as a kid during two seperate moments where he was otherwise being very open and transparently honest - his coming out video and the mental health panel - I'm inclined to believe he's not doing that here.

--

Also hi I'm sorry I know its probably super weird for someone's first post on a forum to be a long and occasionally overly personal essay but this is topic I care so much about (generally speaking - not just in a way that's related to Dan and Phil lol) that it drove me to abandon my forever-lurking tendencies.
I really appreciate this post. Thank you for un-lurking to share an informed perspective.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Hello. I'm still on my little cloud.
Please, as someone who was at the q&a, let me emphasise one thing: Phil looked gorgeous and was radiating confidence.

I loved the gaming channel answer but i loved what he said about the fourth wall even more.

Also I really love Phil. That's it.
:gayaf:
stufflizloves
living flop

shout out to whoever the special unicorn is that made playlists on the idb youtube page. i appreciate you so very much.

(i am currently watching 2018's ig stories and its like a mini tour through last year--i of course watched them in real time but there are so many random gems i had forgotten about! a+, would recommend.)
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Even when you take into account the classist UK educational system, why parents want their kids to certain schools, The Forest School does not sound like it was the best(?)... The psycho French teacher? Was there an Irish math teacher? His geo teacher called him a peasant. Something like that Dan would say in his old videos. He did get good enough scores to study law (very laudable), but that might have been in spite of the establishment he was in, rather than due to it. Uni wasn't for him, but he has educated himself in other ways clearly.
Last edited by GalaxyDarling on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I have a billion thoughts I still cant process (I kind of wish I could have been live tweeting the panel but I know recording it is more worth it!!) but I went in with zero expectations and Phil fucking blew my away.

A couple things that are on my mind rn:

Like others have said, Phil deserved a better moderator. She was extremely unprepared (my first tip off was the bit about slime at the start- girl what? You dont need to scroll far down his channel to see his slime video...) and it went downhill from the start.

I nearly DIED when he sat down and saw he was wearing ripped jeans BUT THEN noticed he was wearing Dan's ii jeans because of the rip at the knee I remember seeing on Dan at my show, and remember him talking about. I love that they're still sharing clothes lol. I bet they have a joint sock drawer tbh

I also died when liola had a tweet answered, and when he talked about b99.

As a huge advocate for the 4th wall, it makes me so fucking happy that Phil said that about fan spaces. They've always been good about that stuff, but hearing it from him now, especially given some of the ~drama lately about it, it was fucking wonderful.
Last edited by obsessivelymoody on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

This is so sweet:
And now he DOES have 6 million subscribers and he is still feeling like we know him.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

GalaxyDarling wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:26 am Even when you take into account the classist UK educational system, why parents want their kids to certain schools, The Forest School does not sound like it was the best(?)... The psycho French teacher? Was there an Irish math teacher? Something like that he would say in his old videos. He did get good enough scores to study law (very laudable), but that might have been in spite of the establishment he was in, rather than due to it. Uni wasn't for him, but he has educated himself in other ways clearly.
I remember him saying his school had very little resources. He also once said in a live show that his parents had a smaller house so they could travel bc they really valued travel experiences more than material possessions.

Sorry for the double post. This post wasn’t up when I posted the first thing.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I enjoyed watching Phil's Q&A (despite the ill-prepared moderator). I really did appreciate his answer about DAPG because turning the gaming channel into a joint content channel has been my theory for awhile now. It makes perfect sense to create that space for joint content since they seem to be wanting to keep their solo channels solo. I was surprised that he talked about his upcoming trip to Las Vegas. It just makes me all the more curious about their trip. I'm trying to think if he's talked so much about a non work vacation before this one. Can anyone remember? I mean, he's talked about going to see his family of course, but I can't recall a time where he hyped a vacation like this. What will those two get up to in Vegas?

I'm looking forward to photos and stories from tomorrow's meet and greet. And, hopefully, they'll pop up in a few YouTuber vlogs and have a chance to film a collab or two before they leave for Nevada.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Susanisnotafish wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:34 am I remember him saying his school had very little resources. He also once said in a live show that his parents had a smaller house so they could travel bc they really valued travel experiences more than material possessions.
Do you think he might give university another try? Maybe social studies or politics? It seems like he yearns for more knowledge always. It's a bit hard to say what his future looks like career-wise.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

sapienveneficus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:42 am I enjoyed watching Phil's Q&A (despite the ill-prepared moderator). I really did appreciate his answer about DAPG because turning the gaming channel into a joint content channel has been my theory for awhile now. It makes perfect sense to create that space for joint content since they seem to be wanting to keep their solo channels solo. I was surprised that he talked about his upcoming trip to Las Vegas. It just makes me all the more curious about their trip. I'm trying to think if he's talked so much about a non work vacation before this one. Can anyone remember? I mean, he's talked about going to see his family of course, but I can't recall a time where he hyped a vacation like this. What will those two get up to in Vegas?
I remember how they were so excited to go to Japan and made a joint announcement about it in Dan’s live show. I guess that was sort of for work though, as they ended up putting pics in Tabinof and did the DITLJ.
sparkle
blobfish

GalaxyDarling wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:43 am
Susanisnotafish wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:34 am I remember him saying his school had very little resources. He also once said in a live show that his parents had a smaller house so they could travel bc they really valued travel experiences more than material possessions.
Do you think he might give university another try? Maybe social studies or politics? It seems like he yearns for more knowledge always. It's a bit hard to say what his future looks like career-wise.
My vicarious dream is for Dan to do Sociology.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
Ablissa
pastel persona

Phantasy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 pm Re: at Dan mentioning that his parents was/are poor (and not for the first time)... I gather from the context he’s just making a (exaggerated) point that if his career failed he wouldn’t have the safety net of relying on his (rich) parents? A bit of an odd statement for a 28yo to make whose been self sufficient since 18 and is a millionaire—like he’s going to ask for a loan or crash in his parents basement if he stops making videos...?

And no idea about his parents real financial situation, maybe they struggled with money (pretty typical for most to some extent), or are in a lower tier of middle class, but to describe them as poor seems out of touch... poor compared to what... London millionaires? They vacationed regularly, had a nice modest home which they still have (Adrian’s vlogs confirms that), and what did he have like 6 guitar hero controllers in AmazingDan?? I know poor is a relative term, but c’mon... either they have a money problem (that maybe Dan shouldn’t be broadcasting), he’s out of touch, or is exaggerating for effect (bullshitting).
Yeah I also thought that was such a strange thing for him to say. There’s no way he would have “nothing” and have to turn to parents even if he never made another video again. Him using the word poor has always kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t wanna say anything about it yesterday bec I thought it would be too negative when everything else he said at the panel was great but I do agree with you.
Hi sorry I know this conversation has well moved on at this point but I feel the need to comment on this because it's a mindset that I encounter at my job a lot that I really really don't like. I currently work in the same Title 1 school that I went to as a kid (which for non-Americans: Title 1 means that more than 75% of the student population exists within an economic status that qualifies them for free or reduced price school lunch). The kids I teach (and myself when I was young) very resolutely fall into the category of "poor." However, when outsiders come into the building they're shocked (and sometimes weirdly angry?) that these poor kids have things like new iphones or nice shoes or that they get lunch from mcdonalds sometimes or whatever. People often have this weird idea in their head that in order for someone to be "poor" they have to live in abject poverty with nothing but that's not the case. My family never went on trips but all of my siblings and I got to go all out for our proms because it was important to our mom that we had one magical night. She saved all year so we could have insanely nice experiences but we were still very much poor at the time. I could go on and on about how classist this mindset is but I don't want to come on too intensely which I know I can easily do with this topic.

Like some others have already pointed out, what he's said about his family having nothing for him to fall back on could mean a number of things. It could be that he just had less than the kids he went to school with and that completely skewed his perception. It could be that his family had relatively humble means in an expensive area. It could mean that his family had money but the flow of that money was inconsistent or unreliable. It could mean that for whatever reason, he felt if he ruined his career at 20 after dropping out he didnt think his family would share any resources they had with him if he went back to them (regardless of whether or not that would have actually been the case). It could very likely be related to one of the factors that he yadda yadda'd over in his coming out video to explain why his home didn't feel like a safe space that I don't feel particularly comfortable speculating on further (violence, addiction, & health issues).

I know Dan can exaggerate a lot but since he's brought up not having a lot of money as a kid during two seperate moments where he was otherwise being very open and transparently honest - his coming out video and the mental health panel - I'm inclined to believe he's not doing that here.

--

Also hi I'm sorry I know its probably super weird for someone's first post on a forum to be a long and occasionally overly personal essay but this is topic I care so much about (generally speaking - not just in a way that's related to Dan and Phil lol) that it drove me to abandon my forever-lurking tendencies.
I appreciate your perspective and agree with it wholeheartedly.
As someone that grew up (and still is) poor, being poor doesn't always mean that you literally have to put every penny towards food or rent. People often treat poor people with such contempt, like that they don't deserve little pleasures, but they do. We do.

In today's society, kids and adults alike would go crazy if not able to treat themselves sometimes. I personally remember times when my mom and I had nothing to eat and next to no money, but she'd still buy me the cheapest chocolate bar just to brighten my day a little bit because things were so shit. These are things you literally need to survive.

The fact that Dan had some xbox controllers or that his family could go on vacation doesn't mean that they were well off. No one here is allowed to judge how they spent their money either. You don't get to say that if they spent less they'd be less poor. Go live their life and live it better if you're so smart.

This isn't the first time Dan spoke about his family not having a lot of money. It doesn't matter if there are people who are even worse off than they were - that doesn't make them any richer. This whole conversation just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyway... Phil's Q&A gave me hope for a joint channel, but also made me think: WHEN? If they haven't talked about it yet, it could be months. I'm still hyped and love Phil so much though, and the interviewer was so unprepared I wanted to scream. She didn't even know he liked gaming...
philliebillie
dank meme

I know I haven't experienced any of the live shows as they happened, but listening to Phil talk for an hour make me wish for one :( Just listening to him talk is so soothing.
-you can go swimming in those eyes-
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Thanks again to obsessivelymoody for recording!!
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

To help drag this money topic a bit more, being "poor" to a kid can feel different than actually being poor.

"Parents, please buy me this new playstation"
No we can't because we are saving for a trip to this place
"OMG my parents can't afford ANYTHING because the thing I want isn't in the budget. We must be POOR"

Speaking as a parent that is trying to save up for a surprise Disneyland trip but the kids just see that I don't have money to take them to a water park. We had to have a whole sit-down meeting about how we aren't poor, don't panic, we won't be homeless, we won't starve, we just can't go to afford Wet N Wild my sweet summer children. Please stop telling your friends we are poor.

I'm not trying to say his parents were rich by any means, but there is a chance he is looking back at it through his childhood eyes too. I also assume when he talked about having to fall back on his parents if he failed, but them not having enough to take him in, was him explaining his spiral of fear and catastrophic thoughts (I can't remember the verb for this)
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Ahhh yes I just got in from being out all day and am catching up on everything, and obsessivelymoody you are a saint for recording these videos for us! Can't wait to watch!

From a quick scroll through idb, I'm loving both the joint content and the respecting fan content answers. I'm also now prepared to cringe at the interviewer.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

sparkle wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:09 am
GalaxyDarling wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:43 am
My vicarious dream is for Dan to do Sociology.
I think I remember someone asking if he wanted to go back to school in a live show around 2016. I can’t really remember his answer. I know he mentioned in one of his vids that sometimes he thinks he does want to go back to school. I don’t think it will happen though because he enjoys being creative more than memorizing things for exams. I remember him saying in a live show that he hated memorizing facts. Things like that writing workshop and watching educational YouTube and reading about topics he’s interested in are what I predict he’ll continue to do. Hopefully some school will present him an honorary degree (do they do that in England?) and invite him to be a commencement speaker.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Ablissa wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:15 am

--

As someone that grew up (and still is) poor, being poor doesn't always mean that you literally have to put every penny towards food or rent. People often treat poor people with such contempt, like that they don't deserve little pleasures, but they do. We do.

In today's society, kids and adults alike would go crazy if not able to treat themselves sometimes. I personally remember times when my mom and I had nothing to eat and next to no money, but she'd still buy me the cheapest chocolate bar just to brighten my day a little bit because things were so shit. These are things you literally need to survive.

The fact that Dan had some xbox controllers or that his family could go on vacation doesn't mean that they were well off. No one here is allowed to judge how they spent their money either. You don't get to say that if they spent less they'd be less poor. Go live their life and live it better if you're so smart.

This isn't the first time Dan spoke about his family not having a lot of money. It doesn't matter if there are people who are even worse off than they were - that doesn't make them any richer. This whole conversation just rubs me the wrong way.

Anyway... Phil's Q&A gave me hope for a joint channel, but also made me think: WHEN? If they haven't talked about it yet, it could be months. I'm still hyped and love Phil so much though, and the interviewer was so unprepared I wanted to scream. She didn't even know he liked gaming...
Really great perspectives! I don’t think we’ll necessarily find consensus from this debate simply because life experience influence all our perspectives especially on someone like social class and wealth/poverty.

Perhaps what doesn’t sit best with me is just the use of the word “poor” and the connotation that I personally apply to it—I’m not talking abject poverty, but I have a completely different picture in my mind when hearing “poor” vs “didn’t have a lot of money”. Depending on who you ask, perhaps they are one in the same... but to me Dan’s situation was squarely “didn’t have a lot of money” and icedcoffeestan gave perfectly reasonable suggestions as to what that might mean, particularly “It could be that his family had relatively humble means in an expensive area” which as others have said certainly sounds like the case for a suburb of London like Reading. If the difference money makes in Dan’s family is choosing vacations over a bigger house, that is just not a struggle I personally associate with being “poor”—it just feels like that doesn’t do the word justice for families that live paycheck to paycheck or don’t know if they can make the rent/mortgage payment or struggle for basic means.
MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:55 am To help drag this money topic a bit more, being "poor" to a kid can feel different than actually being poor.

"Parents, please buy me this new playstation"
No we can't because we are saving for a trip to this place
"OMG my parents can't afford ANYTHING because the thing I want isn't in the budget. We must be POOR"

Speaking as a parent that is trying to save up for a surprise Disneyland trip but the kids just see that I don't have money to take them to a water park. We had to have a whole sit-down meeting about how we aren't poor, don't panic, we won't be homeless, we won't starve, we just can't go to afford Wet N Wild my sweet summer children. Please stop telling your friends we are poor.

I'm not trying to say his parents were rich by any means, but there is a chance he is looking back at it through his childhood eyes too. I also assume when he talked about having to fall back on his parents if he failed, but them not having enough to take him in, was him explaining his spiral of fear and catastrophic thoughts (I can't remember the verb for this)
Edited because I agree with this... good thought!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

On another note: I thought Dan would get DDR in the separate branding!
Last edited by Catallena on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: instastories can't be directly embedded and will disappear so i replaced the link with a UP tweet
Lain
eclipse shirt

--

I don't think many people would have been upset if Dan had said that his family was "not well-off", or something along those lines. I think his word choice was poor (sorry =|).
I don't disrespect anybody that struggles financially that still makes the decision to gift their kids with new tech/a new video game/take-out food/anything else. As a parent of two that still struggles financially, I know that I wouldn't even want my girls to suspect that affording such things can sometimes make me turn to loans etc.

I guess I just wonder what Dan's experience is specifically (and that's just a curiosity that I don't even fully feel comfortable having), and why he seems casual re: that word.

I want to waffle about my perspective, but it's personal, so under a hide it shall go:
I grew up with a single mother and two sisters. We moved a lot but always had a roof over our heads (some better than others), attended school, had a family doctor .... but my mother worked what seemed like night and day, we were never able to afford new clothes, accessories, music etc. We were sometimes able to rent shit like video games (Christ, I miss you, Blockbluster), but in the eyes of our peers, we probably looked like out of touch cartoon characters that wore the same few outfits on rotation.
Poor, though. Idk. I just understand why some of us might feel a bit weird about his word choice. It's all subjective, though. (no flames, please?)
Phantasy
woodland creature

Catallena wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:54 pm I'm not watching and just enjoying watching my tl freak out, but I would be more than okay if DAPG was rebranded into a general collab channel. I've been saying that that's what they should do for years now anyway and with the end of PINOF there are no collabs that HAVE to be on the main channels anymore so I'll be sitting here waiting I guess. :ribena:

Also from what I'm hearing Phil deserved a better interviewer. :|
DanAndPhilGAYS ... nothing but gay bants and collabs with queer creators/influencers
:ribena: :prideheart2:
blueapple_x
flower crown

I know discussing financial situations is a more personal matter but I think both sides are bringing up good/important points on the general topic.

Also, I think it might be worth mentioning that whilst during the panel Dan said his family has 'no money' (and technically didn't use the word 'poor' this time--unless I missed it?), I believe he has used the word poor before to describe his family's financial situation (I think he has said before in some liveshow? that they were "kinda poor" but don't quote me on that).

Anyway, I enjoyed the panel yesterday and I liked seeing how comfortable Dan looked up there. As for Phil's Q&A today, sorry but that interviewer/host wasted a lot of time asking silly things. At least he did address some interesting things like about future projects and the gaming channel--even though he wanted to stress that nothing is confirmed for sure :lol:
knq
lava lamp

Lain wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:47 am

--

I don't think many people would have been upset if Dan had said that his family was "not well-off", or something along those lines. I think his word choice was poor (sorry =|).
I don't disrespect anybody that struggles financially that still makes the decision to gift their kids with new tech/a new video game/take-out food/anything else. As a parent of two that still struggles financially, I know that I wouldn't even want my girls to suspect that affording such things can sometimes make me turn to loans etc.

I guess I just wonder what Dan's experience is specifically (and that's just a curiosity that I don't even fully feel comfortable having), and why he seems casual re: that word.

I want to waffle about my perspective, but it's personal, so under a hide it shall go:
I grew up with a single mother and two sisters. We moved a lot but always had a roof over our heads (some better than others), attended school, had a family doctor .... but my mother worked what seemed like night and day, we were never able to afford new clothes, accessories, music etc. We were sometimes able to rent shit like video games (Christ, I miss you, Blockbluster), but in the eyes of our peers, we probably looked like out of touch cartoon characters that wore the same few outfits on rotation.
Poor, though. Idk. I just understand why some of us might feel a bit weird about his word choice. It's all subjective, though. (no flames, please?)
While I'm of the opinion that it should be up to Dan to describe (or not describe) the environment he grew up in, I appreciate your post, especially the bolded part.

I'm uncomfortable with arguments that come dangerously close to the stereotypical 'that woman is holding an iPhone therefore she must not really need food assistance for her family' bs that I see come up in conservative US politics. And Dan having Xbox controllers or going on family vacations as proof that he wasn't poor sounds too much like that to me.

Reducing what it is to be poor to a very specific and undesirable image is a harmful tactic that people use to deny other people basic human necessities. It becomes internalized, and then we have people with food insecurity rejecting food assistance because they 'don't need it.' They don't think they need it because they're not poor. Being poor is equated with being homeless, and sure they can't afford to feed their family for the month, but they have a place to live, they're clean, they're not like those poor people who need help amiright.

Sorry. Sorry. I was trying not to do that. I have bitterness on this topic. It's not directed at you. I appreciate your contribution to the discussion. :tu: