Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

It's really late here and i couldn't finish the panel but i want to point out that Cornelia's stories gave a perfect ending to this day.

She made it to vidcon!! (So I'm guessing she's going to Vegas. I hope she feels better) and i dont know why her story showing both dan and phil talking to different people in two corners of the room is making me so soft but it is.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
bantsandpheels
phillion/danosaur <//3

snoopysadie wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:08 am and i dont know why her story showing both dan and phil talking to different people in two corners of the room is making me so soft but it is.
I like that even though they're each doing their own thing, they still aren't actually even that far from each other 🤭

(I know it only makes sense that they're hanging out near their merch booths but shhh)
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I would love for them to use DAPG as a joint channel to do with whatever they want. As long as we get joint content back, I'm happy. Do hope we get it relatively soon. :D
nilidh
tol bean
Pronouns: he/him

I loved watching Dan in the mental health panel. It really feels like he’s finally able to ‘live his truth’ since BIG and I’m so here for it.

Phil was really interesting in his Q&A as well, though I’d echo the thoughts about the underprepared interview.

I don’t want to speculate too much on Dan’s family’s financial situation, but I think maybe the ‘addiction’ issues he mentioned in BIG might play into the money thoughts. When I was in primary school my family had a two bedroom house in the suburbs, and by all accounts we looked comfortably middle class. I didn’t qualify for free schools lunches, I went to Disneyland twice in five years... But every night my dad was hemorrhaging money on alcohol to the point that in P5 I was routinely skipping dinner bcos he didn’t get paid for another week and he’d spent the last of his pay cheque on bottles. I’m know I’m probably just projecting bcos of my own experience, but an addiction issue in your family can really fck up family finances behind closed doors.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Looks like that (in Cornelia’s story) might be filming for their VidCon Now thing - I’d kinda hoped they’d be in that together from the the way it had been talked about, but I guess it isn’t surprising that it’s separate. :|

Looking forward to the M&G pics later!
Last edited by madzilla84 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Puffy
drama llama

nilidh wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:55 am I loved watching Dan in the mental health panel. It really feels like he’s finally able to ‘live his truth’ since BIG and I’m so here for it.

Phil was really interesting in his Q&A as well, though I’d echo the thoughts about the underprepared interview.

I don’t want to speculate too much on Dan’s family’s financial situation, but I think maybe the ‘addiction’ issues he mentioned in BIG might play into the money thoughts. When I was in primary school my family had a two bedroom house in the suburbs, and by all accounts we looked comfortably middle class. I didn’t qualify for free schools lunches, I went to Disneyland twice in five years... But every night my dad was hemorrhaging money on alcohol to the point that in P5 I was routinely skipping dinner bcos he didn’t get paid for another week and he’d spent the last of his pay cheque on bottles. I’m know I’m probably just projecting bcos of my own experience, but an addiction issue in your family can really fck up family finances behind closed doors.

Thank you for sharing this perspective, it can’t have been an easy thing to experience.

Separately I think there’s this overwhelming prevailing thing where people believe that poor people or less well off people should move to a different area. I see it all the time in Ireland - people at risk of homelessness or who are struggling to make ends meet are told to move out of the city and to the country because it’s deemed cheaper. And it’s like, yes you have a cheaper house but now your money is being funnelled into fuel for your car to get to your job and to get to the rest of your family and to see your friends. People who are on social housing lists who rely on their family for childcare and support have turned down (and are entitled to turn down) offers of housing if living there would it too much strain on them either financially or emotionally because of distance from family or child care etc and people go BALLISTIC. There will always be people who think it’s easy to be poor. Conservative government bodies will always claim its easy, all you have to do is live your life ‘better’. I think @bootstrapcook on Twitter has an awful lot of good things to say about this kind classism as they cover a lot of this and it’s an interesting read. There will always be levels of poverty and as I’ve already said and others have said, we have absolutely no idea what Dan’s family’s financial situation was apart from what Dan has said. Others have already said it too that going without nice things literally sends people up the wall. Sure you could ‘live cheaper’ as someone said but what are you meant to do with the little bit of money you saved by ‘living cheaper’? If you spend it you’re back in the same position you were in. If you save it you’re going without the stuff that makes the difference between surviving and living. And absolutely nobody should have to just survive so that others will believe them when they say they don’t have a lot of money. Holidays and iPhones and Xboxes are not just for rich people. I really truly hate this discussion. (Also I get that some people are upset because compared to their experiences growing up, he seems relatively privileged, and that’s a valid emotion, I just think we don’t know enough about what went on in his home to judge)

(On a separate note I am so impressed Phil answered the DAPG question and I’m so intrigued about his script. I can’t wait to see what he does and hope something comes of it)
glitterintheair
phillluminati

glitterintheair wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:28 am LMAO I LOVE IT although I must say I can't even imagine Phil giving a vague answer about dapg. I have a feeling he will avoid the subject completely, in true Phil Lester style.
Oh look, it's me, ya clown. Again.

No but seriously I loved Phil in that Q&A (also he was particularly hot but that's another story) and I'm so glad that he talked about DAPG; I also loved the fact that he acknowledged the fact that the future of the gaming channel was what people wanted to know the most because sometimes I wonder how in touch dnp are with their fanbase and their needs, and I'm positively surprised that it seems like they Know what we want. I am SO in for dapg rebrand, they could rename the channel simply DanAndPhil and do whatever they want with it: gaming, fun collabs, cooking, video podcasts, ecc.

I appreciated Phil talking about fanworks and "defending" us. He and Dan are really giving off a protecting vibe towards their fanbase since they both came out and it makes me soft.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I just watched the q&a and I echo that, by goodness, he is stunning. So relaxed and confident, so tall, so wearing ripped jeans. Knees out indeed :love2: I’d already read everyone’s commentary on twitter and on here, but so glad to have an answer about the gaming channel, amazing to hear about scripts being pitched (so he hasn’t just kept it in his head for 5 years, thank goodness, cos that’s not a way to develop a thing). Lovely mentions of Dan, also Tony, and it sounds like he just likes Vegas (wedding planners can stand down and relax ;) )

interviewer was a bit daft, though not quite as bad as I expected, going in pre-warned, but she didn’t like the booing to her phandom name suggestion, eh “then don’t use it!” :roll: you’d think when you’ve got just an hour for him to answer things, especially something we’ve wondered for 6 months (she might have picked up on that if she’d looked), that you’d use a lot of the questions people had asked, you can delve through the fluff.

Anyway, excited to see all the m&g photos tonight, and intrigued to see what’s to come, though I feel like they might take things slowly still. That said, if they are filming some collabs, they might do something joint themselves first, or at least there’ll probably be a Phil video soon. And Nevada road trip, of course. I love the ig spon of the merch stands, panning around all these T-shirt’s and the pile of Dan mugs, it’s funny. Phil worked his spons into the q&a pretty well, got the merch and ii dvd in there. It’s interesting how he waits for the screams to calm down, I guess he has to, what else can you do, but still it’s quite sweet. I’ve noticed in other interviews and panels too that he lifts his head up here and there while he’s not talking, not sure if there’s anything in that.

I’m mostly left with a fresh crush on him, which after 4 years and that being a thing for the first few months back then is funny to me, also cos I’ve been admiring Dan an awful lot lately. It’s always funny how it flips between them and I’d gladly squish them both. It was great just seeing him on his own, he totally owned it.
nilidh
tol bean
Pronouns: he/him

Puffy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:30 am
Thank you for sharing this perspective, it can’t have been an easy thing to experience.

Separately I think there’s this overwhelming prevailing thing where people believe that poor people or less well off people should move to a different area. I see it all the time in Ireland - people at risk of homelessness or who are struggling to make ends meet are told to move out of the city and to the country because it’s deemed cheaper. And it’s like, yes you have a cheaper house but now your money is being funnelled into fuel for your car to get to your job and to get to the rest of your family and to see your friends. People who are on social housing lists who rely on their family for childcare and support have turned down (and are entitled to turn down) offers of housing if living there would it too much strain on them either financially or emotionally because of distance from family or child care etc and people go BALLISTIC. There will always be people who think it’s easy to be poor. Conservative government bodies will always claim its easy, all you have to do is live your life ‘better’. I think @bootstrapcook on Twitter has an awful lot of good things to say about this kind classism as they cover a lot of this and it’s an interesting read. There will always be levels of poverty and as I’ve already said and others have said, we have absolutely no idea what Dan’s family’s financial situation was apart from what Dan has said. Others have already said it too that going without nice things literally sends people up the wall. Sure you could ‘live cheaper’ as someone said but what are you meant to do with the little bit of money you saved by ‘living cheaper’? If you spend it you’re back in the same position you were in. If you save it you’re going without the stuff that makes the difference between surviving and living. And absolutely nobody should have to just survive so that others will believe them when they say they don’t have a lot of money. Holidays and iPhones and Xboxes are not just for rich people. I really truly hate this discussion. (Also I get that some people are upset because compared to their experiences growing up, he seems relatively privileged, and that’s a valid emotion, I just think we don’t know enough about what went on in his home to judge)
This is why I enjoy IDB so much, I think. Everyone is so respectful of each other's experiences and it can lead to some really interesting conversations.

Seconding the love for Phil and his comments about the fandom. He came across as so respectful and in touch with the community and I really appreciate it :D
starwatersong
phabergé

Ablissa
pastel persona

I'd just like to clarify that my post was mostly directed at a poster who was judging Dan's family. Things like "if they spent less they'd be better off" really rub me the wrong way and I was upset.

I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts, and while I'm too tired to pitch in anymore, I really appreciate IDB as a platform where these conversations can be had safely and respectfully. <3

So... *clears throat*
Joint M&G today! How long does a VidCon M&G typically last? Is it the standard 40-60 seconds where all people get to do is take a photo and get an autograph? I can't wait to hear all the stories about people meeting deppy. AND THE PICTURES OF THEM *BOTH* AT THE SAME TIME, Y'ALL. THAT IS A THING THAT IS HAPPENING TODAY.

Also... I haven't seen this mentioned but have you all heard that Phil is not ruling out a third world tour? Sure, it didn't sound like super promising but he did say "never say never" which is more than they used to say in 2018. I would sell my dog to see them again tbh. (okay, maybe not my dog, but I'd sell something.)
sparkle
blobfish

I'm excited for joint pictures. I'm very surprised they're doing the meet and greet without something else since the coming out videos.

I want more Dan videos, like he can take his sweet fucking time on it but I miss hearing him talk.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
emoji_pajamas
tol bean

I love how at ease and open the both of them seem now at the Q & A's. It's hard for me to really relate to neurotypical takes on confidence and self-love but knowing that these two have dealt with so much internally but still can go up to an audience that big and not dissolve into the air...It gives me the confidence that that could be me one day, y'know? That positive growth in the public eye doesn't always have to come IN SPITE of my mental health, but that they can actually be healing (if that makes sense)
philliebillie
dank meme

starwatersong wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:39 am
Does anyone know what this is for? And does it really include Phil, cause maybe they just tagged it wrong? I saw that account posted insta stories of other youtubers but Phil wasn't there.
-you can go swimming in those eyes-
intoapuddle
spork

I've been thinking a lot about how Phil talked about the gaming channel.

First of all, I love that he actually answered that question and gave some insight to how they're approaching it. That was not something that I expected to come out of his q&a.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what it is they would do on it instead of playing video games, though. The games were such a good way for them to bant without being too personal, since their approach to their shared fame is to keep things light hearted and fun. If they were to bring the gaming channel back with a regular upload schedule without video games, what would that be?

I know a lot of people love the idea of a podcast, but I don't think that is something they can do, if their goal still is to keep a distance between personal and public. Unless they have a clear theme with a different topic each upload, I don't think they would want to do it. What would it be about? Films, tv shows, etc? A new way for them to talk about things like they used to do in their liveshows? That seems likely, but since Phil in particular doesn't want to share his personal opinions on most things I don't know how they would really go about it. I think they'd both get tired of that after a while, anyway.

My guess is that they will keep playing video games, but maybe do other joint content on there as well. If they do mukbangs, baking, ditls that could be the place for those as well.

Regardless of what they end up doing with it, the fact will remain that most of their followers watch them because they're funny together and so any new thing they do will just have the same purpose as the gaming; doing something fun/challenging to spark conversation and fun moments. That perspective means that regardless of what they end up doing with it, they can't really lose.

Since Dan came back I've been constantly surprised by the steps they've been taking, though, so I can't really say anything for certain anymore. Maybe they are thinking about doing something bigger with it? Maybe they do want to fill it with something other than fluff? (I'm not saying 'fluff' in a negative way btw, I love that shit). Maybe the upcoming deliberations they're planning on having about it will be more serious than what I'm expecting? We're in an interesting era of DnP for sure, and I have no doubt they'll keep surprising me for a while.
autumnhearth
senpai

Ablissa wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:08 am
Also... I haven't seen this mentioned but have you all heard that Phil is not ruling out a third world tour? Sure, it didn't sound like super promising but he did say "never say never" which is more than they used to say in 2018. I would sell my dog to see them again tbh. (okay, maybe not my dog, but I'd sell something.)
Yes! I need to rewatch, but he said something to the effect that they are done touring for awhile/this chunk of time (probably not the wording, but it’s the impression I got from it). This unfortunately ties into not being at a point in their life that they feel like they can commit to being dog owners. Big sigh. I guess we can’t have both and should probably be appreciative of their level-headedness when we know they really do want a dog.

I am enjoying the perspectives on personal economics, it really is so objective. This personal anecdote got longer than I thought so under the cut it goes.
My kid is turning ten and we have never been on a family vacation that wasn’t visiting our parents and staying with them (when mine are in Florida they pay for the flight, but I’ve been turning it down the last two years because I feel so guilty). We really thought we could swing a week long camping trip a state away this summer, but nope we could even justify visiting my in-laws). We had to rely on Medicare for pre and post natal care and food assistance for women and children that first year. The only reason we own a house is because my parents, who are retired upper middle class seniors, didn’t want us renting and made a very significant down payment so that we could afford the mortgage. We often live paycheck to paycheck and count on the money my parents give us for Christmas to be able to get anyone else in our family Christmas presents. On a few occasions we have had to ask them for money, as well as take out personal loans (that my dad would be upset if he knew about). I have never owned a car, but my mom has handed me down her’s twice and pays the insurance. But being blessed enough to know we have their support is what makes all the difference and is why I have never considered us to be “poor” even if I feel inadequate compared to my siblings and guilty that I am not brining in income. Money is my number one source of anxiety and can send me spiraling for days at a time. I’ve been told by my counselor that I could apply for some disability (I have some physical health limitations not just mental) but I’ve never sought that out because I know I *should* get a job.
Bringing this part out: More to the point about parents, I think Phil was in a situation similar to mine growing up and as a young adult where he knew he could rely on his parents if things fell through and Dan (like my husband, whose parents have made more income while they were working than mine, but we’re neither raised nor educated to save and invest it and have serious compulsive spending/hoarding problems while relying on disability) could not (not saying that Dan’s family were/are at all like my in-laws only that he knew/felt he couldn’t fall back on them). Whew.

It did stand out to me that Phil used the phrase “I suffer from anxiety” when he was careful to say that he doesn’t “have anxiety” as in an anxiety disorder, but does experience anxiety. I thought this was in the muckbang but apparently not. Anyone know? I’ve been searching the keywords on here but have given up.

I’m 100% for a Dan and Phil collab channel. Give me board games, muckbangs, baking, holiday crafting, DITL/vlogs and please please have a series of ‘Try New Things’ where the go out (or sometimes stay in) to experience things/try new skills. Someone’s suggestion of goat yoga has never left my head. If you can’t get a dog, volunteer at a shelter to walk dogs and vlog it (but also not vlog it too).
bantsandpheels
phillion/danosaur <//3

These guys came up with the Super Amazing Project, the Internet Takeover radio show format and more, so I'm honestly not worried about predicting what they'll do other than games. I'm just gonna sit back and trust in their ability to surprise us with something we may never expect 😂
ravenreyes
sofa crease

i haven't watched all of phil's q&a but i really appreciated his answer about the phandom, the fourth wall and not like checking in on things that might be related to them but not really for them. while it's definitely something that's gotten better over the years and it haven't always been the other way around, i've always liked that they seem to have a really healthy relationship to their audience/fans.

also his answer about dapg was more than i expected tbh. i would definitely be here for a more general joint channel if that's what they want to do and i totally get that there are probably a lot of people that care more about watching them and the gaming part is not that important.
personally little to no gaming vids would probably make me a bit sad but i know i might be in the minority there (maybe?? idk) but not enough to like complain about it or anything lmao, i care more about them doing what they want to do with it
i do agree with the question about what else it would be though? i'm sure they could come up with things to do and everything, i'm just wondering what it might be. and while i would love something like a podcast i don't really see that happening idk. :shrug:

i might try to watch some more of phil's q&a later if can handle it bc i do miss just listening to both of them speak :love1:

just noticed the new(?) flags and everything as well and thanks i love it :lesbianflag: :lesbianheart: :blackheart:
english is not my first language
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The best part of that picture is how neither Craig nor Dan look happy to be in a picture with Shay Carl.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Lol, I wondered who it was for a moment, saw the name and thought “oh” :| I love Craig, though. Took me one less moment to see why the heck the three of them were together, yay, Supernote. Also, Dan looks good, so cute and cuddly.
Last edited by flarequake on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

After thinking about Phil’s answers some more I’m still not convinced we’ll get joint content again - at least for a good long while but it is nice to know that they aren’t opposed to it. They haven’t spoken about it yet though and Phil did say they it could either come back as something different or nothing at all so with what I’m seeing rn I’m not any more convinced we’ll get it back but I am more okay with their decision if we don’t get it back

Dan went on a mini following spree last night following some more lgbt creators and while it’s impossible to guess what they want to do right now he really does seem to want to do more serious things.

And as for Phil - if his script does get picked up I wonder if he’ll continue making videos sporadically or if he’ll put yt on the backburner for a while. I’m shocked that he did the Q&A but he really doesn’t seem to be participating in much this vidcon so I’m also wondering about his plans.
intoapuddle
spork

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:27 pm The best part of that picture is how neither Craig nor Dan look happy to be in a picture with Shay Carl.
oh god hahaha that is awkward. craig is just having none of it lmao
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:27 pm The best part of that picture is how neither Craig nor Dan look happy to be in a picture with Shay Carl.
Dan politely smiling but looking like he can't wait to jump into the shower to wash away the filthy smell of this 'hate-the-sin-not-the-sinner' type homophobe.

Shay disgusts me and I'm judging the hell out of Vidcon for inviting him at all. He got his status as 'Founding' Creator only due to the family he cheated on.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

porridgemouse
not a first-time poster

Hello! Long time lurker, back from a couple year hiatus after all the recent developments ❤❤

I assume they will have pre-planned answers to people asking them about their relationship at the meet and greet right? How do you think they'll respond to unwanted questions? Sure they'll be pros at divergence tactics by now, but won't it be different this time around as this will be their first meet post coming out? Just curious and I find it awkward to even imagine!