Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
taco baco
dank meme

I second the possibly unpopular opinion of not wanting them to start a podcast. I personally don’t see the appeal if it’s not about a certain topic (like true crime or the MBMBAM D&D podcast). I felt kinda the same way about liveshows but those were more interactive and felt a little more genuine, if that makes sense? Just my two cents, they can do whatever they please obviously.

Also, mixed feelings about the gaming channel but honestly I’m not too upset. The videos they were putting out before the hiatus felt extremely underwhelming. Another unpopular opinion incoming: I really didn’t like the Sims 4 series. After Dalien was born it was all downhill and honestly kinda boring. I’d rather see them do challenges or something if I wanted to see their bants. But, like, that’s just my opinion, man.
oi he's mine
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

wells.kai
squish
Pronouns: They/Them

I dont know if anyone has asked this yet, but is anyone livestreaming or filming the night of awesome w dan tonight?
Sincerely,
Your full time internet homo :gayaf:
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

I expected to see more from today’s meet and greet being shared on social media. I wonder if VidCon attendees are waiting until the end of their day to post their pics and share stories.
"Someone, somewhere is into that." Daniel Howell
anna_begins
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

sapienveneficus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:10 pm I expected to see more from today’s meet and greet being shared on social media. I wonder if VidCon attendees are waiting until the end of their day to post their pics and share stories.
A professional photographer takes the pics and they haven't been released yet to the attendees.
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

anna_begins wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:16 pm
sapienveneficus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:10 pm I expected to see more from today’s meet and greet being shared on social media. I wonder if VidCon attendees are waiting until the end of their day to post their pics and share stories.
A professional photographer takes the pics and they haven't been released yet to the attendees.
Ah, that’s interesting. Is that typical for meet and greets? It seemed like photos would come out right away last year when they were on tour.
wells.kai
squish

sapienveneficus wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:24 pm
anna_begins wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:16 pm
Ah, that’s interesting. Is that typical for meet and greets? It seemed like photos would come out right away last year when they were on tour.
there wasnt a pro photographer on tour with deppy (other than for the show or whatever)... it was a selfie or pose w them on our own devices
Sincerely,
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

taco baco wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:20 pm I second the possibly unpopular opinion of not wanting them to start a podcast. I personally don’t see the appeal if it’s not about a certain topic (like true crime or the MBMBAM D&D podcast). I felt kinda the same way about liveshows but those were more interactive and felt a little more genuine, if that makes sense? Just my two cents, they can do whatever they please obviously.

Also, mixed feelings about the gaming channel but honestly I’m not too upset. The videos they were putting out before the hiatus felt extremely underwhelming. Another unpopular opinion incoming: I really didn’t like the Sims 4 series. After Dalien was born it was all downhill and honestly kinda boring. I’d rather see them do challenges or something if I wanted to see their bants. But, like, that’s just my opinion, man.
I feel the same way about the sims, unfortunately. You can only beat a dead horse for so long. The problem is, it IS their most popular series. It brings the views. I can understand how it would be hard to let go.

Decisions, decisions.

Those headbands are the cutest thing i've seen in my life. Rainbow looks great on them :wavingflag:
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
Omgsonew
crusty sponge

I would luuuuurrrrve a podcast. I doubt they'd do it because podcasts tend to call for the sharing of personal lives and the format is inherently more intimate than a highly edited fast-paced video. With a very fixed theme, they could keep being their private selves but it would limit the podcast's life expectancy as they run out of shit to say - but then again it doesn't have to be a never-ending project, they could just start one to have fun for a while.

The intimacy of podcasts is exactly why I'd love one from them. An hour or two of them just talking without all the jump cuts... I mean, the truth of this image:

And yeah their sims series became very boring. Tbh I don't find any of their gaming videos from the past couple years very entertaining. I think they had a lot of fun for the first few years and the joy was so contagious that it felt like a fuckin party for everyone, but eventually the heat of a certain time cools and the party organically starts ending as their passion and energy wane
Last edited by Omgsonew on Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Anyone has any luck finding a stream of the night of awesome thing that Dan is in?

Only found this so far:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

It's so interesting that people felt their enthusiasm for the gaming channel was waning, I feel the opposite!!

To me, they really hit their stride on the gaming channel in 2016, and their videos from 2016-2018 feel significantly more authentic and three-dimensional (is that the right term? full of substance) than those from 2014-2015 (although of course there were some gems from those years). I felt like in recent years Dan and Phil reached a position of real comfort with interacting with one another on camera, and they clearly became more "themselves" on camera than they ever had before.

I did feel the Sims series became stale, and that the Dab/Evan romance was really the only entertaining aspect of it anymore. But overall, I really enjoyed their more recent gaming videos. Having said that, I'm not a gamer at all so I was always here for the bants over the games (which, btw, does not mean I ever drooled over the two of them making eye contact or whatever :roll:

Re: the future of DAPG - I don't think Phil's answer makes it any clearer overall. It's reassuring to hear that it may still have life in it yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they continue the hiatus for the rest of the year and bring it back as something new in the new year. I'm someone who can't listen to podcasts (my attention span is just not good enough lmao) but if they did one I presume they'd go the Jenna and Julien route and film the podcast, which I'd be fine with as I find it easier to concentrate if I can both watch and listen.

I think a joint channel where they could put any kind of content they felt like making would be amazing, but it's so hard to know whether that's the sort of thing they're keen on doing in this post coming out universe, where they seem so wary of potentially monetising their relationship or being viewed for their relationship rather than who they are as individuals or publicising their relationship at the risk of cheapening it behind the scenes etc. I guess it's just a waiting game.

In other news, I hope they have a great road trip to Vegas (keeping my fingers crossed that Cornelia pulls through with the content lmao), and I hope everyone who met them at the meet and greet had a lovely time.
hello9217
flower crown

So dan’s a stand up comedian now and also is running the london marathon mmm...kay
ETA he ended up pulling out of the marathon the day before and he showed a pic of his mom 😭
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Dan's talk was so nice. I watched the livestream on twitter, and just thoroughly enjoyed hearing him talking about experiences he's had earlier this year.

I love the picture of his mum too though I felt the second hand awfulness of that situation.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

I laughed so hard when he mentioned the marathon - CSI: IDB were right again. :sherlock:

It was wonderful to hear him talk like that, he’s so funny! Nice way to mark his return and 10 years on YouTube, too.

(And signing up and dropping out at the last minute might be the most relatable he’s ever been lmao)
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Amiaw
interactive introvert

Dan did a really good job and it wasn’t painful at all. I’m surprised someone called the London marathon but I’m glad that he seems to be in a good place about it now.

He talked about commitment again and also said “this story was in past tense” when telling his marathon story- think dan saw all that past tense discourse?
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

That was nice. I don't love him in what I guess was supposed to be a live stand up comedy setting tho. Not sure why, I'll usually praise Dan's talent for story telling any day of the week. But while I thought that what he was saying was interesting, nothing grabbed me like it usually would. Maybe it was just the bad quality of the stream idk.
rizzo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:35 pm
Phantasy wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:50 pm
Ataraxia25 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:04 am
susan2 wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:00 am
- -

Did anyone else notice the London Marathon page yesterday and wonder - could it be....?
...we'll prob never know :runner: :shrug:
I'm making my own headcanon that this is true, that Dan totally ran the marathon.
Wouldn’t surprise me if he registered, but alas doesn’t look like he (or his name twin) ended up running. The marathon had pretty robust tracking via bib number and that runner had no stats for the day.
This is fascinating. Is this maybe the montage he was mentioning in that insta story about jogging earlier in the year?

I'm literally SO HERE for this video and if he (not his name twin) decided not to run, this could even be a great video in accepting failure or realizing you need more time for something etcetc.

Dan... :please:
Congrats to all of you for being psychic detective legends in a couple of threads back. :spy:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ablissa
pastel persona

Catallena wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:12 am That was nice. I don't love him in what I guess was supposed to be a live stand up comedy setting tho. Not sure why, I'll usually praise Dan's talent for story telling any day of the week. But while I thought that what he was saying was interesting, nothing grabbed me like it usually would. Maybe it was just the bad quality of the stream idk.
I'm with you, I think? I mean I just watched it and I loved listening to him but nothing truly stood out, maybe I'm just tired. I did enjoy him talking so openly and confidently about his sexuality in front of a large audience though - he's really so, so much happier and it shows through every. single. word.

I felt like some of the jokes were a bit forced and we could've done without them, but otherwise, I'm loving his confidence. And while I'd prefer if they did this together, I can see why Dan did it alone.
starwatersong
phabergé

Thought it was cute Hank wore Phil’s merch.
wells.kai
squish

Ablissa wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:48 am
Catallena wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:12 am That was nice. I don't love him in what I guess was supposed to be a live stand up comedy setting tho. Not sure why, I'll usually praise Dan's talent for story telling any day of the week. But while I thought that what he was saying was interesting, nothing grabbed me like it usually would. Maybe it was just the bad quality of the stream idk.
I'm with you, I think? I mean I just watched it and I loved listening to him but nothing truly stood out, maybe I'm just tired. I did enjoy him talking so openly and confidently about his sexuality in front of a large audience though - he's really so, so much happier and it shows through every. single. word.

I felt like some of the jokes were a bit forced and we could've done without them, but otherwise, I'm loving his confidence. And while I'd prefer if they did this together, I can see why Dan did it alone.

I think I agree with both of you but I think I largely agree because the streaming quality was SO bad... I was kind of put off by that before it even started I think? I dont know but nevertheless Im super proud of deppy this vidcon especially because theyve just come out in so many ways (out of hiatus, out of the closet in phils case etc etc)... really super proud of deppy and idk if im living under a rock but i feel like aside from usual phannie discourse theres not too much drama with deppy in the larger yt world which i think is good? in general i think i love deppy because they dont try to insert themselves into trends or start drama... idk maybe thats an unpopular opinion but...

im super excited for the vegas trip and what that will bring (if anything)... my mum thinks theyre gonna get married at a themed place like there is in vegas apparently? idk my mum asked who they would have marry them and i said Final Fantasy or Buffy :rofl:

really though i feel like no one actually reads these big ass messages that i write but im really happy for deppy and i have a positive feeling about the future of these lads (aka my dads) (sorry for the rhyming idek what my life is anymore) (i STG im not trying to be like deppy or something this is actually me)
Sincerely,
sapienveneficus
rainbow nerd

Ablissa wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:48 am

I think you've hit the nail on the head with the bit I bolded. I enjoyed Dan's bit tonight; he's a talented public speaker. But think of how much better it would have been if Phil had been up there with him. The whole marathon story would have landed so much better if he'd had someone to play off of. Let's face it, those two are just better entertainers when they work together. I got a sense watching Phil's Q&A, during the bit where he talked about DAPG, that he knows that's true. They're both talented, creative people, but they do their best work together.

Going forward, I hope they don't lose sight of that.
Cafil
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

wells.kai wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:01 am
I think I agree with both of you but I think I largely agree because the streaming quality was SO bad... I was kind of put off by that before it even started I think? I dont know but nevertheless Im super proud of deppy this vidcon especially because theyve just come out in so many ways (out of hiatus, out of the closet in phils case etc etc)... really super proud of deppy and idk if im living under a rock but i feel like aside from usual phannie discourse theres not too much drama with deppy in the larger yt world which i think is good? in general i think i love deppy because they dont try to insert themselves into trends or start drama... idk maybe thats an unpopular opinion but...

im super excited for the vegas trip and what that will bring (if anything)... my mum thinks theyre gonna get married at a themed place like there is in vegas apparently? idk my mum asked who they would have marry them and i said Final Fantasy or Buffy :rofl:

really though i feel like no one actually reads these big ass messages that i write but im really happy for deppy and i have a positive feeling about the future of these lads (aka my dads) (sorry for the rhyming idek what my life is anymore) (i STG im not trying to be like deppy or something this is actually me)
I actually really enjoyed the livestream, But then again I didn't actually watch it I just heard it, so maybe it was the shitty livestream, maybe we didn't even watch the same one though! But that's to say I agree with something someone said prior about some of the jokes being forced but overall I loved it.

I'm also super excited for Vegas, wonder how much will be shared hmm...

Also I laid here and read your long post! So rest assured someone is reading them :lol:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Thanks again to obsessivelymoody for recording!!
hello9217
flower crown

Going in thinking it would be like a john mulaney stand up style comedy routine, based on what people were saying, I was very hesitant to see it. But then 2 minutes in I was like ‘oh this is basically a dinof video live’ You can tell some of the stuff didn’t stick but overall it was good. I agree that having phil there to bounce stuff off of would have made it even more enjoyable and some stuff easier to follow. For example I thought he was going to run the London marathon next year and then he had to clarify that this is a past tense story. But overall it was well done.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I saw a tweet saying that they thought this kind of situation was what dan was referring to when he said he wanted to be able to mess up and not publicly apologize about it and I can see that making sense.

It’s interesting that people kind of pieced together bits and pieces of the last 6 months but there’s still so much we don’t know. I’m so glad we’re past that part of this year so hopefully only good things from here on out
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 am

Thanks again to obsessivelymoody for recording!!
I know there was a stream but sitting through all the actual bullshit that came before Dan made me want to eject myself from the planet. They should rethink the "awesome" in their name. (side note: it was mostly family-oriented. I guess vidcon is more family than anything else now? That was the impression I got.) The smosh "comedy" bit literally made me want to rip my hair out lol. Anyway, it was wonderful to see Dan live like that, like a combo of dinof and a liveshow. We also had a clear view of his script on the tv behind us.