Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
stufflizloves
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

first off, i feel like a proud mum. i know this is just repeating what everyone else has already expressed across the various platforms--but: dan's so clever & funny. he truly has such a wonderful stage presence, especially when hes talking about something authentically. its just all so good...he just seems so damn happy & it's such a good look for him.

and --i just wanted to add--i.m feeling really calm & happy about the future. they both have hit a stride into areas where they majorly excel (i love that dan is being more invested in activism & charity work..it truly seems to be a passion & a joy for him; phil's mind & imagination knows no boundaries. i am positively giddy with excitement about whatever creative endeavor that implies.)

it also feels like phandom & the boys have reached such a good balance. they seem to trust us and understand us more than ever before and it feels like the feeling is mutual??? (i for one am soaking up that lovely afterglow until the inevitable panicked anon trades paranoia around like poisoned halloween candy.)

i just have a lot of faith in the future and it feels so, so lovely.

edit:where are my manners! thank you, thank you, thank you, obsessivelymoody for recording!! <3 :highfive:
Phantasy
woodland creature

*Reasons Why Dan’s a Fail theme tune*
Cute anecdote... love love love the picture and support of his mom—I wonder if they’ve gotten even closer in the past year or so as Dan has tried living more openly and tackled his depression. I support that narrative.

His stage presence and timing is getting better too. (I don’t even think he did that awkward hands on hips thing he does sometimes.) He really is a well rounded entertainer (even if like others I think he’s strongest in a duo).

I did wonder for a moment where he was going with the commitment comments before it became apparent... but if he has self described commitment issues, I’m going to park that nugget away for now to see if it surfaces again.
starwatersong
phabergé

Apparently, someone stole the Phil cutout.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Like obsessivelymoody said, what was before Dan was terrible. The Night of Awesome turned into the Night of Torture.

I really loved Dan's comedy thing (but yes it would have been better with Phil)

I'm just so glad to see him like this. This massive weight has been lifted off his shoulders and he is so happy. I'm just happy for him.
:gayaf:
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

starwatersong wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:44 am Apparently, someone stole the Phil cutout.
Yeah! At first I thought that someone had ASKED FOR IT and it was cute. But that's not nice at all.
:gayaf:
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I slightly disAgree that Dans performance would have been better with Phil. I do agree that they are great together, and Phil was great in II because they had rehearsed and performed it many times. But I think Phil is not as good with unrehearsed performances. He comes across to me as very inauthentic. Sometimes Dan is like that, too, but tonight I felt he did great and I wasn’t thinking about the lack of Phil during his talk.

Question: Do creators pick what they do at Vidcon? If so, I think Phil might have chosen a solo event instead of a panel bc he used to have a hard time getting a word in. Also, I think in a live show before II Dan talked about trying out stand up comedy at an open mic night.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
knq
lava lamp

I remember the liveshow where Dan talked about trying out stand-up comedy. I think he may have been talking about ramping up the aesthetic on his channel around the same time.

I admire him (both of them actually) for making phil’s ‘Try new things’ motto a reality in their lives, even if those new things aren’t my cup of tea. It’s lovely to see them thrive. Sometimes it just strikes me how young they both are, and how much more they’ll do in their lives. Dan’s new focus on the future and the phrase “life starts when you’re 60” he’d picked up on DAPG pre-hiatus seems like a healthy counter balance to his we’re all dying jokes.

I’m feeling sappy. Hopefully Dan makes another Uranus joke so I can hate him again soon.
noodlebum
flower crown

Dan's mum making t-shirts :happytears:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Honestly? I kinda love that we were guessing at the marathon way back when. Fascinating to learn that, that was something Dan actually attempted.

As someone who took up running in the last year.... I still want nothing to do with marathons so idk where Dan got even a fraction of the inspiration to do that. Bless his heart for trying though. It sounds like he was really at that level if he only pulled out the day before. I wonder if he still runs or if that was it for him.

Regardless, that pic of his mum is adorable and I love knowing they're that close tbh. Close enough for her to send that pic and wear that shirt, but also for Dan to share that with everyone. All in all: adorable.

And I also just think Dan did an excellent job. I was initially going to say that I was impressed how well he told that, when....
obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:17 am
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:45 am
Thanks again to obsessivelymoody for recording!!
I know there was a stream but sitting through all the actual bullshit that came before Dan made me want to eject myself from the planet. They should rethink the "awesome" in their name. (side note: it was mostly family-oriented. I guess vidcon is more family than anything else now? That was the impression I got.) The smosh "comedy" bit literally made me want to rip my hair out lol. Anyway, it was wonderful to see Dan live like that, like a combo of dinof and a liveshow. We also had a clear view of his script on the tv behind us.
LOL. Not that I don't think Dan has it in him to memorize a whole routine - he obviously has with tour and all - but this makes sense. It was v well-written and tbh, very stand-up-esque, so props to him on that.

All-around a lovey thing to wake up to.
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

madzilla84 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:09 am (And signing up and dropping out at the last minute might be the most relatable he’s ever been lmao)
Peeping out of lurkdom to ask, did he say why he dropped out? The London Marathon is oversubscribed by 32 to 1 for each place. Having watched other runners apply and fail to get in for years, it’s a bit disappointing if he yeeted out at the last minute because he didn’t fancy it. If he was injured or whatever fair enough.
intoapuddle
spork

I really liked Dan's performance! He looked and sounded really confident, and honestly his timing is so good. The fact that he can now make gay jokes is just the icing on the cake. I usually get really bad second hand embarrassment watching them do on stage things even if they're doing well (idk why) but watching this I felt mostly at ease.

As for the actual stories, it was classic dinof stuff, and it doesn't surprise me that he signed up for a marathon to "motivate himself to exercise" lol, he is that extra. The whole "committent issues" thing is pretty interesting to me, though, as well as the off-hand "various food addictions" he stated as a reason why he was doomed to fail. Part of me thinks that now that he has said these things it is possible that he'll make a video about those things as well.

Dinof in the future I assume will be introspective and self deprecating as always, but perhaps more candid and deep? I'd like that if that's the case. Anyway, I'm proud of Dan! :)
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

LadyLackless wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:22 am
madzilla84 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:09 am (And signing up and dropping out at the last minute might be the most relatable he’s ever been lmao)
Peeping out of lurkdom to ask, did he say why he dropped out? The London Marathon is oversubscribed by 32 to 1 for each place. Having watched other runners apply and fail to get in for years, it’s a bit disappointing if he yeeted out at the last minute because he didn’t fancy it. If he was injured or whatever fair enough.
If I heard him correctly (and I was distracted while watching so forgive me if I didn’t), but it sounded like he mentioned telling his sponsors he was dropping out. So I’m assuming he had gotten connections to run via one the of organizations he works with.

IIRC, sponsors/charities have a limited number of spots they can give to runners who apply and raise enough and I’m presuming Dan had gotten one because... he’s Dan and can definitely raise enough. Or something like that. Someone clarify the process if I’m wrong pls lol.

But regardless, you’re right. He definitely took the spot from someone who could have used it, but I presume he had every intention (esp given he quit the day before). And it sounds to me that he just wasn’t as prepared as he thought he’d be. Wonder how long a run he’d managed before the last day.
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

noodlebum wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:48 am Dan's mum making t-shirts :happytears:
She is so cute! Is this the second time we have seen a picture of her? I remember that video when Dan prank called her about a bat in his house.
GalaxyDarling

I think gay sons and their moms often have a special relationship :rainbowtears:
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

Mods please help! I somehow posted multiple times. So sorry!
Last edited by Susanisnotafish on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

rizzo wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:41 am
If I heard him correctly (and I was distracted while watching so forgive me if I didn’t), but it sounded like he mentioned telling his sponsors he was dropping out. So I’m assuming he had gotten connections to run via one the of organizations he works with.

IIRC, sponsors/charities have a limited number of spots they can give to runners who apply and raise enough and I’m presuming Dan had gotten one because... he’s Dan and can definitely raise enough. Or something like that. Someone clarify the process if I’m wrong pls lol.

But regardless, you’re right. He definitely took the spot from someone who could have used it, but I presume he had every intention (esp given he quit the day before). And it sounds to me that he just wasn’t as prepared as he thought he’d be. Wonder how long a run he’d managed before the last day.
I missed the sponsor part, but I did hear him say he dropped out bc he wasn’t ready, which I took to mean he hadn’t trained long enough. I’m assuming he started training in January and that would have been around 3 months of training, starting from not training at all. I ran a marathon twice (finished once and dropped out at mile 20 the next year) and I trained longer than that. I think it’s recommended to train for around 6 months when you’re starting from scratch. So I think he was right that he probably wasn’t ready and may not have been able to finish. I also remember him saying he has a problem where he won’t do something unless he can do it well, so he may have had a time he wanted to complete it in, instead of just wanting to finish. Also, he may have felt he wouldn’t do as well as His brother. (Not sure if Adrian has run the London marathon, but I presume he had run a marathon as I believe he posted about running his first ultra- marathon?
Susanisnotafish
flower crown

I missed the sponsor part, but I did hear him say he dropped out bc he wasn’t ready, which I took to mean he hadn’t trained long enough. I’m assuming he started training in January and that would have been around 3 months of training, starting from not training at all. I ran a marathon twice (finished once and dropped out at mile 20 the next year) and I trained longer than that. I think it’s recommended to train for around 6 months when you’re starting from scratch. So I think he was right that he probably wasn’t ready and may not have been able to finish. I also remember him saying he has a problem where he won’t do something unless he can do it well, so he may have had a time he wanted to complete it in, instead of just wanting to finish. Also, he may have felt he wouldn’t do as well as His brother. (Not sure if Adrian has run the London marathon, but I presume he had run a marathon as I believe he posted about running his first ultra- marathon?

Or maybe instead of meaning he wasn’t physically ready he meant mentally ready because he did say something about “mental health winning” IIRC. Could this mean he wasn’t ready for the rebranding of “never doing an exercise” to “I ran my first marathon “?
jesp
why bother

Susanisnotafish wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:01 am Mods please help! I somehow posted multiple times. So sorry!
Don't worry about it, it happens. Easiest thing to do if you miss the delete window is to just edit the duplicate posts and say something like "double post" or whatever.
GalaxyDarling

It's good that he went out there running. It can get quite lonely though. I didn't know Adrian was a runner, maybe he encouraged Dan. I know for myself that it helps to clear up my thoughts when I go for a walk or run, so it may have helped Dan with his thought process on coming out.
GalaxyDarling

That how Dan said "I am baby, really. Big baby. On the inside, I'm smol baby. Physically, I'm very tol baby" :happytears:
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: She/Her

Susanisnotafish wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:04 am

Or maybe instead of meaning he wasn’t physically ready he meant mentally ready because he did say something about “mental health winning” IIRC. Could this mean he wasn’t ready for the rebranding of “never doing an exercise” to “I ran my first marathon “?
Thanks both for clarifying! You’re right, he could have had a charity place for Young Minds (or another organisation) They can also be quite strict and usually require you to raise several thousand for charity, which he would have comfortably been able to cover.

If he started in January with the training montage pic then 3 months from zero to Marathon is probably inadequate for a good time but still not nothing. I’m midway through training for a half-marathon and allocated 12 weeks. There are “oh shit I haven’t trained” programs that will get you around with limited training. But I take the point about his perfectionism and wanting to get a good time. Ultimately it’s a moot point, and in the past.

I guess my main gripe is that if he wanted to motivate himself to exercise there are hundreds of other marathons in the UK that he could have signed up for rather than take a space at the LM on the hope that he’d be able to do it.

Despite my disappoint in this one area I still love him and wish him all the best, of course! <3
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I watched Dan’s thing this morning between waking up and having a lie-in, and I loved it, had my huge sappy Dan-and-Phil smile from the start. I loved that he went right in with reminding us he’s queer and asking where the lesbians were etc. Amazing that the marathon turned out to be true, such a shame he didn’t manage it, but I can’t imagine ever being fit enough myself, it seems a feat and a half.

He does tell a good story, though, and I thought he was great on his own. As soon as he walked out I thought he was owning it just like Phil did at his q&a. So sweet of his mum, they do seem to have got closer in the last few years. I’d be very happy if Dan (or Phil) was my son, I know that much, they’re such good boys. I loved how he smiled and waited for almost a minute for the screams to quieten down, then just said “hi” and set them off again, that was cute.
kavat
pastel persona

The picture of Dan's mum is the cutest thing (sidenote, I saw the picture without context before watching the performance so I thought she sent it after him coming out, I almost had a little cry. Turns out it was for the marathon which is still cute).

The performance was like a stand up version of a dinof, and I actually liked it. I was a bit apprehensive to begin with, as it seemed like he was talking to his (and Phil's) audience when the room probably would have been filled with fans of different creators in the show, but the references and jokes still seemed to land.

I'm fine with it being without Phil, as most of the time was spend telling the marathon story which was fully Dan's story. It would have been weird for Phil to just stand there and react or whatever. And think it would have been strange if the first joint thing we got was a stage performance at Vidcon.

And Dan shouting "Where my lesbians at?" at the beginning was great, they really are aware of their queer audience by now :lol:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I definitely don't think that performance would've been any better with Phil there. It was really just a stage version of a DINOF video, and Dan has never needed Phil for that type of content so it'd be weird if he did now.

The highlight of the whole thing to me was Dan being so happy and confident about his sexuality and making jokes about it in front of an audience that wasn't just phannies. That's kind of a new step, and it's great :love2:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

!!! Spotted on a Facebook group I'm in ... someone messaged the Talentworks people and Dan *is* going to be on their podcast!! I'd subscribed in hopes he might be ... can't wait! :babuse:

blackbirddan.tumblr.com