Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

In his latest video on blog brothers, John Green mentions being start struck and babbling on when talking to Dan at Vidcon. I’d thought they met before, but maybe not. I know they’ve tweeted each other. I bet Dan is so honored.

Ooo, top of the page. This is weird.
Last edited by Susanisnotafish on Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Very brief mention of Dan as someone he's starstruck by

Oops in the time it took me to work out how to embed it you posted @susanisnotafish
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

he also mentioned in the comments that he is "a huge, huge fan of Dan and Phil (and [has] been for like a DECADE)" i am soft :')
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

They've definitely met before, several times even I'm sure. Perhaps John just has a renewed appreciation for Dan, just like we all kinda do. :D
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Now I'm just remembering the story about Dan touching John's butt and how John responded to that (on twitter, right?)
noodlebum
flower crown

I feel like there must be a reason why Phil kept mentioning them going on holiday so many times in advance. Because he'll do a vlog from it, or to warn in advance there won't be a video as quickly as usual?

Also I'm wondering if Dan would film a proper video, with skits/action footage of the marathon story he did for Vidcon as his next video? Including a few more funny/inspiring visuals... The script's done!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

OMG I talked to John at vidcon and WE talked about being Dan and Phil stans but also like professionally not supposed to be stans and it was great lol. Happy to see it in a video. (I know John and mostly Hank from various stuff but have never met DNP, just seen them from afar. I was not at the cool kid parties at Vidcon.)
sarty
smol bean

EDIT: You already beat me to it! Oh well!

Forgive me if this is the wrong place for this, but I just watched John Green‘s new video and he mentions being starstruck when he was talking to Dan. Someone in the comments said they were surprised to hear John Green was a fan of Dan and John wrote back that he had been a huge, huge fan of Dan and Phil for over a decade. I just thought that was lovely.

I have a screenshot of the comment but I don’t know how to post it.
Last edited by jesp on Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed embed
Life is chaos; be kind. --Michelle McNamara
jesp
why bother

sarty wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:05 pm <snip>
I have a screenshot of the comment but I don’t know how to post it.
There's a handy guide for posting images here.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay well I do wanna sulk that they're not reacting together but I'm still happy about seeing their faces.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

It looks like it was filmed the day Phil had his panel so maybe they had to film at separate times but honestly even if they didn’t I’m okay with this video not being their joint comeback.

I’m still not thrilled about separate content though and they’d better deliver on some cute vacation content to make up for it
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Interesting to see them continuing to be separate and to hear their thoughts. Dan seems to have more to say, kinda always has with opinions I suppose. I love hearing Phil’s deeper natural voice too, that’s a pleasant surprise.
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

FWIW, I don’t necessarily think it Means Anything that they chose to appear separately, like I know everything’s fine behind the scenes and all, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t make me sad nonetheless. Maybe they just didn’t want their first joint appearance in so long to be on this, but still. *glum*
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
Amiaw
interactive introvert

FBE response in the comments is that dnp asked to be filmed separately
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

flarequake wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:37 pm Interesting to see them continuing to be separate and to hear their thoughts. Dan seems to have more to say, kinda always has with opinions I suppose. I love hearing Phil’s deeper natural voice too, that’s a pleasant surprise.
I've been listening to the director's commentary for Interactive Introverts and I'm loving Phil's voice. Basically, I want Dan to shut up so I can just listen to Phil. His voice is so deep and rich. It's thrilling, honestly. (sorry if this is a double post -- still new)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Tbh I'm of the opinion that it would be weirder to have our first joint content on YouTube of the year to be on FBE. Idk I wouldn't look into it too hard. Plus, they've said they love working together. Joint content isn't going anywhere, that's certain, especially after Phil's q&a.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

I don't think they wanted their first joint vid to be a reacting vid so yeah I don't care but god do I miss them together in the same video. Like, who do I have to pay to see that? What do I have to do? Just tell me. It feels like my parents are separated and I can't have Sunday lunch with both of them.

(Let's forget that I referred to dnp as my parents.)
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

I'm both glad an FBE video wasn't their first joint content in PCOU but also really sad they asked to be filmed separately because anxiety brain is worried that means no more joint DNP.
scientia
phabergé

I agree that it would be weird for our first glimpse of them being filmed together for YT content in 2019 to be THIS.

Is this 1) the guys knew the phandom would flip if this is how they came back with joint stuff or are we thinking 2) they are continuing their conscious uncoupling for joint content?
Last edited by scientia on Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fairylights
crusty sponge

i’m fine with the fact that they were separate, but it would have been more entertaining if they were together. they work better together in things like this imo. like, being able to bounce off of each other makes it less awkward and more enjoyable to watch? but like, otherwise, i’m okay with that. like, i still think joint content is coming back, i just. it was a lil awkward to see phil trying to react to everything by himself.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I mean they did have their meet and greet the day after this was filmed and that was joint so I get it - I really don’t want joint content to be dead but the separate branding thing has to be for reasons.
hello9217
flower crown

According to the fine bros, they asked to do it separately (which I found weird that they commented on but ok). Part of me is upset bc they haven’t done it separately since like 2013 but I also don’t think I want the first joint content of the year to be on the react channel. Idk I’m just left in a whirlwind of thinking too much of why they are deliberately going out of their way to do things separately. Like they know how much we love their dynamic together, according to phil at his Q&A and yet we don’t get to see them together in a video. But you could also say that they are showing us joint content; bts of phil merch shoot, dan posting photos on his insta story of phil, the constant ‘we’s’ that phil used in his q&a, etc; and that perhaps that by doing something like youtubers react or that vidcon now thing then that would be other people monetizing off their relationship now that their out. Perhaps they don’t want to give other people the ability to make a profit off of it. And now I’m back to thinking too much about it.
000dia000
emo goose

Ugly rant: I haven't watched the vid just yet, but if they wanted to be filmed separately despite the fact they're more established and entertaining as a duo, then they're making a clear effort to establish themselves as solo acts. Not only are they overestimating how interesting they can be by themselves, they're also really alienating their core audience ngl. This isn't an isolated incident, but the general vibe they've been going for for a while now. Also, the fact they are blatantly ignoring it and pretending it isn't happening is really annoying. I'm finding they arent actually saying anything interesting, but are still banking on some sort of mystery factor by stringing their curious, tortured audience along. (Somehow it's working???!!!?) I can understand the point of not wanting Fine Bros to be the first joint video they share post-coming out universe...but it's kind of ignoring the glaring truth that they are trying something new and it's like a slow motion car crash. I'm kind of losing patience. I just miss when they were creative.
Last edited by 000dia000 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
:cactus:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

hello9217 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:54 pm According to the fine bros, they asked to do it separately (which I found weird that they commented on but ok). Part of me is upset bc they haven’t done it separately since like 2013 but I also don’t think I want the first joint content of the year to be on the react channel. Idk I’m just left in a whirlwind of thinking too much of why they are deliberately going out of their way to do things separately. Like they know how much we love their dynamic together, according to phil at his Q&A and yet we don’t get to see them together in a video. But you could also say that they are showing us joint content; bts of phil merch shoot, dan posting photos on his insta story of phil, the constant ‘we’s’ that phil used in his q&a, etc; and that perhaps that by doing something like youtubers react or that vidcon now thing then that would be other people monetizing off their relationship now that their out. Perhaps they don’t want to give other people the ability to make a profit off of it. And now I’m back to thinking too much about it.
I think they're deliberately going out of their way to do things separately when they wouldn't be entirely in control of what happens. We have even more insight now into how every decision is a joint decision and how many of those joint decisions have been to project what they feel vulnerable about or just hold very close to them; I feel like it was calculated to not want to do anything now that puts their narrative in someone else's hands. That includes moderators or audience questions at a panel and I'd say even a react video.

And maybe some of - as people have said before - just wanting the dust to settle around the coming out videos before they put themselves in the spotlight by stepping out together with something.
000dia000 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 pm Ugly rant: I haven't watched the vid just yet, but if they wanted to be filmed separately despite the fact they're more established and entertaining as a duo, then they're making a clear effort to establish themselves as solo acts. Not only are they overestimating how interesting they can be by themselves, they're also really alienating their core audience ngl. This isn't really an isolated incidence, but the general vibe they've been going for for a while now. Also, the fact they are blatantly ignoring it and pretending it isn't happening is really annoying. I'm finding they arent actually saying anything interesting, but are still banking on some sort of mystery factor by stringing their curious, tortured audience along. (Somehow it's working???!!!?) I can understand the point of not wanting Fine Bros to be the first joint video they share post-coming out universr...but it's kind of ignoring the glaring truth that they are trying something new and it's like a slow motion car crash. I'm kind of losing patience. I miss when they were creative.
How are they ignoring things? How does this seem like it's about any kind of mystery factor? Phil literally answered about the gaming channel a matter of days ago. They're posting things on social media. We know they're on a trip together. I don't see any mystery.

I also don't feel alienated, personally. They know we want joint content. Phil addressed that. He said why it hasn't happened yet. He said he and Dan haven't decided what direction the gaming channel is going yet. Not giving an answer that we want still doesn't mean they're ignoring the question.
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

Amiaw wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:43 pm FBE response in the comments is that dnp asked to be filmed separately
can someone screenshot this? i can't find it