Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
000dia000
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:00 pm
000dia000 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 pm Ugly rant: I haven't watched the vid just yet, but if they wanted to be filmed separately despite the fact they're more established and entertaining as a duo, then they're making a clear effort to establish themselves as solo acts. Not only are they overestimating how interesting they can be by themselves, they're also really alienating their core audience ngl. This isn't really an isolated incidence, but the general vibe they've been going for for a while now. Also, the fact they are blatantly ignoring it and pretending it isn't happening is really annoying. I'm finding they arent actually saying anything interesting, but are still banking on some sort of mystery factor by stringing their curious, tortured audience along. (Somehow it's working???!!!?) I can understand the point of not wanting Fine Bros to be the first joint video they share post-coming out universr...but it's kind of ignoring the glaring truth that they are trying something new and it's like a slow motion car crash. I'm kind of losing patience. I miss when they were creative.
How are they ignoring things? How does this seem like it's about any kind of mystery factor? Phil literally answered about the gaming channel a matter of days ago. They're posting things on social media. We know they're on a trip together. I don't see any mystery.
I can understand if you disagree with me on this, especially if you look at it from the wider lense of how they are sharing bits and pieces of their road trip. However, looking at it from the perspective of them as YouTubers, this is just personally why I am annoyed. I just don't appreciate how it takes a Vidcon Q&A to say something nonchalantly that could have been said six months ago. That, and the general low effort they put into content, or really anything for the matter, is just disappointing.
:cactus:
snoopysadie
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: she/her

I will go ahead and say that the only thing I find a bit sad about them not being together in the FBE video is that we can't continue to make it a meme, like "Dan and Phil are so attached at the hip that they literally appear in Reaction videos together as if they were exclusively a joint channel" (which, they are but that is still technically not their main channel).

Apart from that joke, I will say that I am 0% worried about this being an indicator that their joint content is not coming back. *insert the relax, chill out, stop screaming vine*

I, too, agree with what everyone says that I'd be a bit weird if it were their first joint video appearance.

We need to trust dnp and be patient. This PCOU has given us so much already, I have faith for the future and I know that it might be a bit more that a week or a month before they bring back their joint content, but I am sure I will want to die when they do because it will be more than I ever imagined and I might even cry :wavingflag: ... that was a bit cheesy and dramatic, let's make it cheesier with this pan flag :panflag: cause represent... okay bye
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

000dia000 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 pm
000dia000 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 pm Ugly rant: I haven't watched the vid just yet, but if they wanted to be filmed separately despite the fact they're more established and entertaining as a duo, then they're making a clear effort to establish themselves as solo acts. Not only are they overestimating how interesting they can be by themselves, they're also really alienating their core audience ngl. This isn't really an isolated incidence, but the general vibe they've been going for for a while now. Also, the fact they are blatantly ignoring it and pretending it isn't happening is really annoying. I'm finding they arent actually saying anything interesting, but are still banking on some sort of mystery factor by stringing their curious, tortured audience along. (Somehow it's working???!!!?) I can understand the point of not wanting Fine Bros to be the first joint video they share post-coming out universr...but it's kind of ignoring the glaring truth that they are trying something new and it's like a slow motion car crash. I'm kind of losing patience. I miss when they were creative.
How are they ignoring things? How does this seem like it's about any kind of mystery factor? Phil literally answered about the gaming channel a matter of days ago. They're posting things on social media. We know they're on a trip together. I don't see any mystery.
I can understand if you disagree with me on this, especially if you look at it from the wider lense of how they are sharing bits and pieces of their road trip. However, looking at it from the perspective of them as YouTubers, this is just personally why I am annoyed. I just don't appreciate how it takes a Vidcon Q&A to say something nonchalantly that could have been said six months ago. That, and the general low effort they put into content, or really anything for the matter, is just disappointing.
It's fair to feel disappointed and frustrated, I always want more communication from them. But how can you say you want to ignore things from the wider lens they lie in? That's literally just misleading to yourself and other people. Are we really going to ignore the fact that this is a joint thing, and tbh I dont think Phil was expecting that question during the qna. He did a very good job of answering it though, without Dan with him. He said what he could at the time. Perhaps more communication along the way would have been good, but in my experience with creator hiatuses they dont put out updates on the status. That's not the point of a hiatus. They'll update when they have a decision, or are approaching one, which Phil clearly stated they have no idea what they're doing yet as they haven't spoken about it. Joint content is still happening though. He literally said that. I heard him with my own two ears, and it's on the idb youtube channel to rewatch for anyone curious.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I don't think there was anything nonchalant about how Phil explained the gaming channel, to be honest. Six months ago they told us the gaming channel was going on hiatus and that they couldn't say for sure when it would be back. Last week Phil and Dan both told us in detail why it went on hiatus. That Dan needed to focus on his sexuality video and wanted to stop making content totally while he worked on the video. Dan told us how, from his perspective, he felt like he couldn't change if he was having to put out gaming videos regularly.

Like I said before: there's no mystery in that to me now. A forty five minute gut wrenching video that took Dan six months to make doesn't seem low effort, either. I think he's made it clear the emotional toll that video creation in general has on him, but this one in particular - like, if you don't agree, it's fine. It's just hard for me to fathom handwaving what it took for him to make that video and just being annoying he wasn't putting out gaming content while he did it after hearing those explanations.

Maybe you're right, though, and the issue is that I think I'm incapable of looking at them as only youtubers because of the emotional attachment I have to them as people.
GalaxyDarling
Pronouns: he/him

I love how Dan is kinda bitchy about the Bottle Top Challenge, and maybe rightfully so, it ain't that impressive of a feat to do that.
GalaxyDarling

Phil really cute with the T-Rex running clip <3
philliebillie
dank meme

As much as i would want to see joint content sooooo badly, i wouldn't want it to be on an FBE video lol. A second or two, just glimpses really, of them interacting, that wouldn't be enough. If we'll get to have joint content some time in the future, I want it to be an hour-long video of them doing whatever, just banting and laughing and enough time to for them to go off-tangent, i just wqnt it to be looong, that would be so satisfying for my soul. So yeah, it's fine for them to be separated for this video, nbd.

I just don't feel bad about these things because as early as December last year, they've already told us that there will be changes, but it's not a life thing, it's more of on the creative side. They've said joint content isn't dead, it's just on pause. Phil just said literally days ago that joint content will return, they just haven't sat down to talk about it. And they're to busy being happy now so let's give them the time they need. I've been patient for half a year so a simple FBE video of them reacting separately wouldn't break me so easily lol
-you can go swimming in those eyes-
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

lol Dan left tomska on read
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

GalaxyDarling wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 pm
Amiaw wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:43 pm FBE response in the comments is that dnp asked to be filmed separately
can someone screenshot this? i can't find it

ETA: lol was I only *editing tips* for one post, amazing :rofl:
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
GalaxyDarling

lol thanks madzilla
000dia000
emo goose

obsessivelymoody wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:13 pm
It's fair to feel disappointed and frustrated, I always want more communication from them. But how can you say you want to ignore things from the wider lens they lie in? That's literally just misleading to yourself and other people. Are we really going to ignore the fact that this is a joint thing, and tbh I dont think Phil was expecting that question during the qna. He did a very good job of answering it though, without Dan with him. He said what he could at the time. Perhaps more communication along the way would have been good, but in my experience with creator hiatuses they dont put out updates on the status. That's not the point of a hiatus. They'll update when they have a decision, or are approaching one, which Phil clearly stated they have no idea what they're doing yet as they haven't spoken about it. Joint content is still happening though. He literally said that. I heard him with my own two ears, and it's on the idb youtube channel to rewatch for anyone curious.
Okay, that's a lot of trust to place in them. I personally just can't help but compare them to other YouTubers who are better at communicating. And there's no need to watch the video, I heard the talk was pretty bad, so I'll just take your word for it, thanks.
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:14 pm
I don't think there was anything nonchalant about how Phil explained the gaming channel, to be honest. Six months ago they told us the gaming channel was going on hiatus and that they couldn't say for sure when it would be back. Last week Phil and Dan both told us in detail why it went on hiatus. That Dan needed to focus on his sexuality video and wanted to stop making content totally while he worked on the video. Dan told us how, from his perspective, he felt like he couldn't change if he was having to put out gaming videos regularly.

Like I said before: there's no mystery in that to me now. A forty five minute gut wrenching video that took Dan six months to make doesn't seem low effort, either. I think he's made it clear the emotional toll that video creation in general has on him, but this one in particular - like, if you don't agree, it's fine. It's just hard for me to fathom handwaving what it took for him to make that video and just being annoying he wasn't putting out gaming content while he did it after hearing those explanations.

Maybe you're right, though, and the issue is that I think I'm incapable of looking at them as only youtubers because of the emotional attachment I have to them as people.
I would not mind the hiatus so much if they had been clear about it. Honestly, communication is key. Anyways, that isn't the sole issue I've had, there's been other things, I was just addressing that because it was relevant. A lot of my frustration also lies in the fact that regardless of them making a comeback I just don't see it being successful. It's disappointing, not from a selfish entertainment perspective, but just the results on their careers. Idk I'm not as optimistic as others. Them selling merch from the hype just kind of adds to that. Everything just feels kind of weird and messy.

Anyways, your argument regarding the Dans emotional process regarding making the video is something I probably should have considered, and I agree with you in that way. However, I know you do get a lot of annoying people trying to start arguments, so I can see why you're frankly over any contradictory opinions, but your last comment was kind of a low blow.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

000dia000 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:43 pm
Okay, that's a lot of trust to place in them. I personally just can't help but compare them to other YouTubers who are better at communicating. And there's no need to watch the video, I heard the talk was pretty bad, so I'll just take your word for it, thanks.

I would not mind the hiatus so much if they had been clear about it. Honestly, communication is key. Anyways, that isn't the sole issue I've had, there's been other things, I was just addressing that because it was relevant. A lot of my frustration also lies in the fact that regardless of them making a comeback I just don't see it being successful. It's disappointing, not from a selfish entertainment perspective, but just the results on their careers. Idk I'm not as optimistic as others. Them selling merch from the hype just kind of adds to that. Everything just feels kind of weird and messy.

Anyways, your argument regarding the Dans emotional process regarding making the video is something I probably should have considered, and I agree with you in that way. However, I know you do get a lot of annoying people trying to start arguments, so I can see why you're frankly over any contradictory opinions, but your last comment was kind of a low blow.
It really wasn't meant to be a low blow, and I apologize if it came off like that. I was responding specifically to this:
000dia000 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 pmHowever, looking at it from the perspective of them as YouTubers, this is just personally why I am annoyed.
By acknowledging that I don't think I'm capable of looking at them as only youtubers. I can't tap into the mindset of being annoyed at them for not making content, or not communicating certain things, when I know the reasoning behind it and what an intensely emotional/personal reason it was. The choice to go on hiatus and to not volunteer why was one they made because Dan, as a person, needed that time for growth. That insight just goes a long way toward nullifying my frustration at them not telling us that. Dan not being ready to tell us is the whole reason he needed the time.
woopdada
phillion/danosaur <//3

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 pm lol Dan left tomska on read
Seems a bit rude to share that.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I wonder if there’s anything to the reply they said they wanted to be filmed separately this year. I know they’re usually only in LA for vidcon but does that mean this year is all about them and next year is different?

Idk. I’d already posted a few days ago that Phil said that he couldn’t even say for sure If anything would happen with the joint channel so I’m already approaching that with cautious optimism but I do agree that they could be better about communicating intentions but tbh they haven’t filled us in on anything they’ve done this year other than Phil telling us about his main channel videos in advance so not surprising that they’d leave it up the the FB to explain their intentions with this
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

I don't get why they'd even bother doing the react video it's the most boring thing on YouTube. Everyone was dull except John and Hank, I'd rather they'd took the time it took to film it and took a joint selfie with nobody strategically placed between them, the fact that Dan took a photo where he's closer to Shay Carl than he got Phil in a photo all vidcon or since last year in truth grates on me.
snoopysadie

woopdada wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 pm
I like Tom, but sometimes he's too much of an Emma Blackery to me.
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

Amiaw wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:52 pm I wonder if there’s anything to the reply they said they wanted to be filmed separately this year. I know they’re usually only in LA for vidcon but does that mean this year is all about them and next year is different?
I read it as "this year" as opposed to previous years they've been on YouTubers React together. I am skeptical that they know whether they'll be going to VidCon or not (or otherwise in LA) next year, let alone filming YouTubers React together or separately.
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

snoopysadie wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:58 pm
woopdada wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 pm
I like Tom, but sometimes he's too much of an Emma Blackery to me.
Yeaaahh that's on poor taste. :/

Ugh I really can't be bothered with FBE. They are so boring and it's lazy content why do DnP keep going.
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
knq
lava lamp

I noticed Dan just started following Hank Green on Instagram during Vidcon (or maybe it was John Green, now I can’t remember) and that surprised me. They seem like they’ve all known each other for ages, though I don’t know why, and I don’t know anything about John or Hank except that one of them is an author.

That FBE was boring. I’m just gonna say that. I can sympathize with Dan and Phil’s need to protect and control how much of their togetherness they share, especially through someone else’s venue. Everything is new and yet not post coming out. I value how much they value their bond, and ngl, I don’t think their being filmed together would have made that FBE any less boring.

I also would not text back someone who seemed likely to post our conversation on twitter.
taco baco
dank meme

I just wished they would straight up address these things, like the solo content or what they want to DO. I understand they don’t have to share everything with us but sometimes they’re so up in the air and vague about things they can just...say? Maybe I sound like an entitled fan :shrug:
oi he's mine
000dia000
emo goose

alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 pm

It really wasn't meant to be a low blow, and I apologize if it came off like that. I was responding specifically to this:
000dia000 wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:07 pmHowever, looking at it from the perspective of them as YouTubers, this is just personally why I am annoyed.
By acknowledging that I don't think I'm capable of looking at them as only youtubers. I can't tap into the mindset of being annoyed at them for not making content, or not communicating certain things, when I know the reasoning behind it and what an intensely emotional/personal reason it was. The choice to go on hiatus and to not volunteer why was one they made because Dan, as a person, needed that time for growth. That insight just goes a long way toward nullifying my frustration at them not telling us that. Dan not being ready to tell us is the whole reason he needed the time.
Okay, thank you for explaining, sorry I was a bit defensive.

Yeah, I try to balance my understanding/respect/admiration between then as real people and their YouTube personas, though I get frustrated when it's lacking from one side or both. It's not that I am apathetic to their real life commitments and struggles (not at all!) but I suppose in some ways I kind of like to distinguish the fine line between what is admiration and then what may become hyper-fixation on aspects of their personal life to draw a sense of personal achievement and contentment. Hence, I'm more guarded in how I intake their content, I tend to fixate more on their YouTube or the professional aspect as it is a step removed from their real life. Unfortunately that's where a lot of my personal disappointment lies, which everyone may not necessary agree with because they might find contentment in a separate aspect of than I do.

Anyways, sorry for starting and unnecessary argument, my initial post was just to get a specific kind of frustration and disappointment out. I didn't make it knowing everyone would necessary agree or relate.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

knq wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:11 pm That FBE was boring. I’m just gonna say that. I can sympathize with Dan and Phil’s need to protect and control how much of their togetherness they share, especially through someone else’s venue. Everything is new and yet not post coming out. I value how much they value their bond, and ngl, I don’t think their being filmed together would have made that FBE any less boring.
Definitely agree there. Historically, no one has really been happy with FBE content anyway, my strongest recollection of years past is just people watching it then either responding with 'that's all?' or 'why do Dan and Phil even do that anymore.' Maybe that helps me not be sad that this wasn't ~joint content.

(Okay, except for that one with the love letter song. People definitely had reactions to that.)
Cafil
squish
Pronouns: She/Her

Earlier today was wondering if they did a YouTubers react and pondered the idea that they'd do it seperately haha guess I was right to think so :lol:
icedcoffeestan
phillion/danosaur <//3

(idk how to put text behind those little read more things so i'm sorry if this post is obnoxiously long)

I don't really have much to add because I 100% agree with what alittledizzy said. But I also don't really know how they could've communicated their reasoning behind the hiatus much better six months ago? Like, if you had asked me on June 12th if they could've communicated better my answer would've been emphatically different but given the circumstances of why they took a break from the gaming channel I really don't know what they could've done that would've been better.

Like, they've now both explicitly explained that they took the hiatus because Dan needed to focus on his coming out video. Dan even tacked on during his vidcon panel that not making the video and procrastinating by making other content was having a legitimately negative effect on his mental health. I don't really know how they could've told us that six months ago because... Dan wasn't out yet. Even telling us "we need to take a hiatus because Dan needs to film an Important Video" would've been disastrous given our collective tendencies to hype and speculate.

Like yeah the interim sucked but we got two really phenomenal and important videos out of it so I personally can't really be pressed (though everyone's entitled to their own feelings obviously.). I would also just like to tack-on here though that their videos have been wildly successful? Like objectively speaking: both trended number 1, Dan's is almost at 10 million views, a lot of the biggest names on youtube and in lgbtq activist communities shared them - they're doing pretty great. Even just as youtubers in general: dnp drew some of the loudest cheers at vidcon this year and got name-dropped by tons of other huge creators as inspirations and people they want to collab with, their twitters are pulling numbers at the moment that we haven't seen since like 2014 (I dont think Dan has tweeted anything that hasn't hit at least 100k since he came out), and their instagrams are at the highest engagement they've ever had. I really think that as far as "comebacks" go they're doing pretty great. And them not wanting their joint content youtube comeback to be on another channel doesn't mean all that much in the long run.
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

Going to throw it out there that the react video made me happy. Both dan & Phil we’re glowing, Dan especially was basking in being able to talk about queerness.

Honestly, joint content has never been my main investment w dnp, so I don’t really understand where y’all are coming from. I was just glad to hear Dan ramble about random popular culture shit again.

People have different reasons for being in the Phandom. I wish that everything didn’t have to be about Phan all the time.