Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Phantasy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 pm Re: at Dan mentioning that his parents was/are poor (and not for the first time)... I gather from the context he’s just making a (exaggerated) point that if his career failed he wouldn’t have the safety net of relying on his (rich) parents? A bit of an odd statement for a 28yo to make whose been self sufficient since 18 and is a millionaire—like he’s going to ask for a loan or crash in his parents basement if he stops making videos...?

And no idea about his parents real financial situation, maybe they struggled with money (pretty typical for most to some extent), or are in a lower tier of middle class, but to describe them as poor seems out of touch... poor compared to what... London millionaires? They vacationed regularly, had a nice modest home which they still have (Adrian’s vlogs confirms that), and what did he have like 6 guitar hero controllers in AmazingDan?? I know poor is a relative term, but c’mon... either they have a money problem (that maybe Dan shouldn’t be broadcasting), he’s out of touch, or is exaggerating for effect (bullshitting).
:shrug:
Yeah I also thought that was such a strange thing for him to say. There’s no way he would have “nothing” and have to turn to parents even if he never made another video again. Him using the word poor has always kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t wanna say anything about it yesterday bec I thought it would be too negative when everything else he said at the panel was great but I do agree with you.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

blahblahblah8 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 pm
Phantasy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:35 pm Re: at Dan mentioning that his parents was/are poor (and not for the first time)... I gather from the context he’s just making a (exaggerated) point that if his career failed he wouldn’t have the safety net of relying on his (rich) parents? A bit of an odd statement for a 28yo to make whose been self sufficient since 18 and is a millionaire—like he’s going to ask for a loan or crash in his parents basement if he stops making videos...?

And no idea about his parents real financial situation, maybe they struggled with money (pretty typical for most to some extent), or are in a lower tier of middle class, but to describe them as poor seems out of touch... poor compared to what... London millionaires? They vacationed regularly, had a nice modest home which they still have (Adrian’s vlogs confirms that), and what did he have like 6 guitar hero controllers in AmazingDan?? I know poor is a relative term, but c’mon... either they have a money problem (that maybe Dan shouldn’t be broadcasting), he’s out of touch, or is exaggerating for effect (bullshitting).
Yeah I also thought that was such a strange thing for him to say. There’s no way he would have “nothing” and have to turn to parents even if he never made another video again. Him using the word poor has always kinda rubbed me the wrong way. I didn’t wanna say anything about it yesterday bec I thought it would be too negative when everything else he said at the panel was great but I do agree with you.
This perspective is interesting because I took it as Dan talking about himself a few years ago, not now. Clearly right now he knows that he can stop making videos and nothing tragic happens immediately; he knows it because he did it.

They didn't start making truly good money on youtube until 2013-2014, though. I think it was in 2013 that Dan was still tweeting about how he couldn't afford to fly first class unless someone else was paying for it. If he started thinking about making a coming out video in 2014, as per something else he said in the panel, then yeah I think it makes sense that at the point he began to want to be more himself he was still worried about losing everything.
George
sad dimple

I think Dan was referring back in the days when he wasn't sure how this whole Youtube thing was going to work out. If that had failed, what could he have done? He had dropped out of uni and with no other job, maybe he was scared he would've to go back to his parent's place. And that's why a certain video leaking was also so traumatic, that could have possibly ruined it all (in reality it ended up having quite the opposite effect tho). And he probably compared himself to Phil, who, let's be real, didn't have any of these issues.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Ablissa wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:54 pm Dan retweeted his own merch tweet and I think he doesn't often do that? I wonder if the sales are worse than expected.

If they are, I wouldn't be surprised. One, they just had two merch drops so many people are broke + the shipping fees are a killer. Two, as much as I love Dan, this merch doesn't seem to be the most popular. I hope he doesn't take it personally and instead just considers a design change.
I didn’t see any re-tweets, but their sales are doing fine, I’m sure. Perhaps not a bonanza and their choice not to have any joint branding at vidcon will hurt, especially for those huge profit markup items that sell like crazy like posters, bracelets, and other kitschy stuff.

But the point on the shipping fees... every single person who buys from one of their shops should email them their frustration and suggestion to unify the checkout system so you can buy from any IRL shop and pay only one shipping charge. They must lose so much business from people who would buy from multiple shops, but choose only one or none at all because of not wanting to pay multiple times for shipping. It is ridiculous that they continue to run the business that way. Just look at Gap/ Old Navy/ Banana Republic... all separate brands, but the same owner and if you shop online it all gets added to the same cart. C’mon!
blahblahblah8

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:02 pm
blahblahblah8 wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:55 pm

This perspective is interesting because I took it as Dan talking about himself a few years ago, not now. Clearly right now he knows that he can stop making videos and nothing tragic happens immediately; he knows it because he did it.

They didn't start making truly good money on youtube until 2013-2014, though. I think it was in 2013 that Dan was still tweeting about how he couldn't afford to fly first class unless someone else was paying for it. If he started thinking about making a coming out video in 2014, as per something else he said in the panel, then yeah I think it makes sense that at the point he began to want to be more himself he was still worried about losing everything.
Hmm idk why I though he was talking about the last year-present but what he said makes a lot more sense in the context of 2014, thanks! (I guess the past/present tense stuff is getting to my head lol)
knq
lava lamp

George wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:45 pm Apparently he watched a lot coming out videos while making his own, and hearing him saying he was scared to make it too sad was hard to hear. That video is already really sad as it is, but I got the impression he didn't really delve as deep into the worst parts as he could have.
Right? I haven’t watched the panel but something he said at the end of BIG gave me the same reaction. It was something to the effect that everyone has a sob story if they want to tell it and what dan was telling us was just some of the stuff related to sexuality. I’m sorry, was that not the sob story? Is there more? Jesus.

I trust dan has the resources, internal and external, to process and thrive now. I’m still a bit thrown by the mention of violence in his home, though.
dontpanic
#relatable

I always feel weird commenting on people's wealth status, especially regarding situations like Dan's family growing up which we honestly have no clue about.
socksparadox
glabella
Pronouns: any

dontpanic wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm I always feel weird commenting on people's wealth status, especially regarding situations like Dan's family growing up which we honestly have no clue about.
^^
The fact that he's never really gone into any kind of detail about it makes me wary of speculating about it.
♡ 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞. :napsta:
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

socksparadox wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:37 pm
dontpanic wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm I always feel weird commenting on people's wealth status, especially regarding situations like Dan's family growing up which we honestly have no clue about.
^^
The fact that he's never really gone into any kind of detail about it makes me wary of speculating about it.
Eh maybe not in detail but he's mentioned it several times over the years (including calling Phil a "rich kid" re it in a gaming video). I dont think it's off the table to speculate about, but that's all it's going to be because I highly doubt he'll ever go into detail about it. Anyway, we dont know, but like others have said I agree he was referring to when he was younger and youtube wasn't as stable, and since we dont know, yeah Dan tends to exaggerate but I dont think it's wrong to assume that maybe they struggled at one point.
DnP1991
tol bean

Amiaw wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:39 pm I’m bringing back an old topic but I’m confused about truth bombs. Big potato and Phil tweeted about the repackaging but the pictures on BP’s Instagram and the copies I’ve recently seen in store still have their names on it. I wonder when the new packaging goes into effect
The ones at the big potato booth at Vidcon don't have dnp branding.
DnP1991
tol bean

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:47 pm
Ablissa wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:40 pm What party is this? I guess it's a vidcon thing?
I'm guessing the same party Safiya and Cristine etc were at? Which makes sense to me. As much as I want them to have been legit hanging out that group photo looks like it happened in a hotel parking lot, so they might have just all been heading over at the same time and gotten to say hi and chat. (As long as they could chat about setting up a real hang out time or a collab, I'm happy.)
Safiya and Tyler said at their panel this morning that they went out to dinner last night with Dan and Phil and Christine and her sister. Dan and Phil said "you guys know LA" and asked them to pick the place. They got sushi at a strip mall sushi place. She also mentioned they didn't want to take them to Disneyland because they're so tall and would be spotted right away.

She also said she and christine are good friends now, and she seemed so fond when she mentioned everyone!
AltMay
glabella

obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:26 pm
And I'll be recording Phil's Q&A in the same way I did Dan's! So look out for that on the idb youtube channel sometime soon after! :D

I'm interested to see Phil try his best to not answer any actual questions.
You're the real MVP. Thank you so much ;-;

And yes, I think we can all agree we won't get any new info, so I'm curious too about how he'll navigate a whole hour of q&a.

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
Mia
spork

Just watched the panel! Thank you for uploading and recording!! Such a fantastic discussion. Dan was so well spoken and just so damn relatable. I never thought about how I actually procrastinate my own life for work until I heard him say that.

I also got quite distracted by Dan's twitter not being listed on the screen... any ideas?
Ablissa
pastel persona

Phantasy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:10 pm
Ablissa wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:54 pm Dan retweeted his own merch tweet and I think he doesn't often do that? I wonder if the sales are worse than expected.

If they are, I wouldn't be surprised. One, they just had two merch drops so many people are broke + the shipping fees are a killer. Two, as much as I love Dan, this merch doesn't seem to be the most popular. I hope he doesn't take it personally and instead just considers a design change.
I didn’t see any re-tweets, but their sales are doing fine, I’m sure. Perhaps not a bonanza and their choice not to have any joint branding at vidcon will hurt, especially for those huge profit markup items that sell like crazy like posters, bracelets, and other kitschy stuff.

But the point on the shipping fees... every single person who buys from one of their shops should email them their frustration and suggestion to unify the checkout system so you can buy from any IRL shop and pay only one shipping charge. They must lose so much business from people who would buy from multiple shops, but choose only one or none at all because of not wanting to pay multiple times for shipping. It is ridiculous that they continue to run the business that way. Just look at Gap/ Old Navy/ Banana Republic... all separate brands, but the same owner and if you shop online it all gets added to the same cart. C’mon!
He did retweet his previous tweet and then deleted the original (?). For a while, you could see both on his profile. Now it looks like this:

I'm sure they're not strapped for cash haha don't get me wrong. Merch sales must be through the roof compared to the past few months. I was mostly referring to the hoodie and "body bag", as I'm seeing that not a lot of people like them. Which I get, because I also don't like them (but if someone does, don't be offended, it's just not my style).

I so agree about emailing them and asking them to combine the shipping though, everyone should do that. Or maybe make a petition or something, idk. I don't understand the reasoning. They're literally losing money by not doing this.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Barking up the wrong tree here, friends.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:29 pm Barking up the wrong tree here, friends.
I know that they're just approaching random YouTubers, but I'm kinda cracking up at the idea of Dan and Phil actually doing an interview with them.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:29 pm Barking up the wrong tree here, friends.
Maybe they heard D&P like penthouses.
apathy
sad dimple

While I fully support the combined shipping idea, they are currently using separate Shopify stores for each site, not some kind of custom built ecommerce platform. I don't think combining carts across multiple stores is an option that it supports. They would have to put all the merch into the same store, like they did at Christmas, which they may not want to do all the time for reasons (branding, aesthetics, the revenue going to separate bank accounts maybe, or whatever else). Or they would have to move to a completely different platform, but Shopify is probably one of the best & most affordable options currently for selling stuff easily.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
snoopysadie

Templeofshame wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:39 pm
Maybe they heard D&P like penthouses.
omg i'm dying. they must've seen so many mentions and realised they were big creators?

George wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:45 pm And can this mean the gaming channel is going to get even gayer (how?)
this was me after literally every single gaming video last year, but i would see my soul to actual satan if i could guarantee that kind of content
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

apathy wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm While I fully support the combined shipping idea, they are currently using separate Shopify stores for each site, not some kind of custom built ecommerce platform. I don't think combining carts across multiple stores is an option that it supports. They would have to put all the merch into the same store, like they did at Christmas, which they may not want to do all the time for reasons (branding, aesthetics, the revenue going to separate bank accounts maybe, or whatever else). Or they would have to move to a completely different platform, but Shopify is probably one of the best & most affordable options currently for selling stuff easily.
The thing is, like what they did at Christmas they can make it look good and an effective shopping experience. DFTBA has been able to achieve this, and it looks great.

However, with the way they revamped their IRL site to be accessible for creators to sign up and stuff they seem to be insistent on keeping the separate shops. Idk, good for them, but it turns me away from buying from them a lot.
AltMay
glabella

Excuse me?

The world is an amazing place, look at it instead of your flaws.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I don't wanna get my hopes up too high, but I just had flashbacks to Phil talking about having an idea and how he wanted to ~write something~ but he wasn't sure what format that would be in.

Maybe he'll talk about that?

LOL. Who we kidding, it's a houseplant review.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I'm sat here pondering the Q&A and keeping my hopes below the sea level, so I'm with you all. Expecting houseplants, sugary drinks, pancakes, hot weather, etc.
But... (this is where I fuck up)
Why would he even have an hour-long Q&A to talk about things no one cares much about? Maybe he'll say something new, but yeah.

I also don't expect any big announcements from this because it's VidCon, this isn't a Dan and Phil show, there'll be lots of people watching that aren't hardcore stans. If he had something major to say to us, he'd pick an audience composed of just us.
GalaxyDarling
Pronouns: he/him

mathsniel wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:46 pm I'm from close to Reading and feel the need to defend that it's an expensive place to live. The average house price is £450k (double the UK average) whereas the average salary is ~£30k (a little under the UK average). My mum struggled to feed me and my siblings at times when I was a kid but from an outsider we would have still looked like a comfortably middle class family.

(Also, his family could have struggled when he was younger but be stable now.)
So that must be where the "no money" thing comes from, that the Howells didn't have much money to spare, though they would have if they lived cheaper.