Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
noodlebum
flower crown

Dan what's with the black jeans! Get the knees out lad.

Also can I just say I would love to have Cornelia's hair :love2:
phandemonium
drama llama

Them all on a vacation together just makes me feel all warm and squishy inside. It's such a silly thing to be happy about but it just... makes me feel better about the world to know that they are out there having a good time.

Also Cornelia is so pretty :happytears:
onemoresock
drama llama
Pronouns: she/they/he

Dan's clothing choices for the desert in July continue to distress me
*blows kiss* for dop and pop
jve
tol bean
Pronouns: they/them

To be fair to Dan, I live in desert city, where temperatures go up to 45 degrees, but I like wearing jeans with hoodies. Usually it helps that desert areas are extremely dry; for me it's the slightest bit of heat and humidity that I cannot bear.
Add to that that my body temperature is quite warm.... eh. Sometimes you gotta sacrifice slightly for that dark aesthetic. 🖤
hello9217
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

This is a genuine question, what are they supposed to be communicating to us about. We were told that the gaming channel is on hiatus indefinitely, we were told that the reason behind it is bc the sole focus for 6 months was dans coming out video, we know that they have yet to sit down and really discuss what’s next for joint content. Bc this isn’t in a formal tweet or video somehow means they’re telling us nothing?
icedcoffeestan
phillion/danosaur <//3

phandemonium wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:47 am
noodlebum wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:41 am
phandemonium wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am But... They said in the last gaming video pretty much exactly that, that this sort of content is going on an indefinite hiatus and they don't know yet when and how it'll return. That they didn't say anything since then except Phil's Q&A mention of the gaming channel signals to me that that's the status quo. Phil literally responded to the question last week and there's no reason to assume they'd come to a better conclusion since then...
To be fair, that was in a liveshow not a video, so not everyone is going to have seen that. I agree there could have been a tweet just to say the same that they said in the liveshow, maybe on the gaming channels twitter account, so those who don't watch every liveshow/go on forums/watch panels, are a bit more aware of what's going on.
That's actually a good point, I didn't realize that had been in a liveshow rather than the video itself. You're right, a tweet might have been a little better... I think the assumption is that these information are relevant mostly to that portion of the audience that does engage with the extra material but perhaps that assumption is faulty.
They actually talked about the hiatus in both the liveshow and the last gaming video! If you watch the winterfest sims vid, the hiatus discussion starts one minute in.

Also, given everything I've said previously, I think it's probably obvious that I'm of the camp that they handled the communication about the hiatus about as best they could given their personal circumstances. They talked about the hiatus with us directly on camera twice and explained their reasoning as much as they could at the time. (And have since explained in full and been transparent that they haven't talked about when joint content will return but that it will.) I don't really think a tweet would've done much given that tweeting out negative news historically (and rightfully imo) illicits anger and complaints that they didn't make a video to announce the news. I also don't particularly think monthly updates that they were still on an indefinite hiatus from joint content would've done anything other than stoke anger and drama and likely disrupt the focus Dan talked about needing on the mental health panel.

I'm also sure they talked about Dan and Phil post coming out but given the incredibly personal nature of the situation and how protective of each other and their relationship they've been over the years, I have a feeling those conversations were largely personally focused rather than professional. Conversations like: "Hey how are we gonna deal with it if Dan's family reacts negatively to all of this?" And: "How are we gonna protect ourselves from the intense scrutiny our relationship is about to be under - not only from fans but from complete strangers who don't know us but heard our story and now have loud opinions about it?" And: "How are we gonna deal if the community doesn't accept us; if people are angry that we waited so long or if they think we have nefarious reasons for doing it now?" Stuff like that.

(Also just want to tack on that even though I've just written another short essay here, I completely respect that everyone's opinions on this are going to be different and they're all valid.)
noodlebum
flower crown

icedcoffeestan wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:13 pm
phandemonium wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:52 am But... They said in the last gaming video pretty much exactly that, that this sort of content is going on an indefinite hiatus and they don't know yet when and how it'll return. That they didn't say anything since then except Phil's Q&A mention of the gaming channel signals to me that that's the status quo. Phil literally responded to the question last week and there's no reason to assume they'd come to a better conclusion since then...
To be fair, that was in a liveshow not a video, so not everyone is going to have seen that. I agree there could have been a tweet just to say the same that they said in the liveshow, maybe on the gaming channels twitter account, so those who don't watch every liveshow/go on forums/watch panels, are a bit more aware of what's going on.
That's actually a good point, I didn't realize that had been in a liveshow rather than the video itself. You're right, a tweet might have been a little better... I think the assumption is that these information are relevant mostly to that portion of the audience that does engage with the extra material but perhaps that assumption is faulty.
They actually talked about the hiatus in both the liveshow and the last gaming video! If you watch the winterfest sims vid, the hiatus discussion starts one minute in.
Did they?! Sorry, I take it back then :) Well then that's that. They didn't put a length of time on it or have to explain fully why (for reasons we now know), and it seems from Phil's answer in the panel, they are also looking to see what to do with it in future. So it's a case of being patient like we were for 6 months before entering the post coming-out universe
Last edited by noodlebum on Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fadedheart
placenta

a liiiitle bit off topic with the current discussion so
i just wanted to say that phil looked SO GOOD in the m&g pics (as did dan) but i couldn't stop being all :happytears: over him wearing ripped jeans and (what appeared to be) those special nasa shoes that dan went to the ends of the earth to find for him i was just :') over it
anyway, back to the topic of joint content, it's what i live for and i miss it dearly. i do appreciate their solo vids as quick pick-me-ups or distractions, but joint content is what introduced me to their dynamic in late 2014 and what made me fall in love with their comedy styles and personalities and special bond they possess with each other. obviously, all of the silence pre-coming out makes perfect sense and i continue to be proud of them and feel a bit guilty that i was upset with dan for not posting (for my own selfish reasons and coping mechanisms), but i continue to miss them together as the days pass and i run out of cute compilation videos to watch.

i'm easy and am one of those people who jumped for joy when dan featured phil in his cactus story or when phil posted the video of dan putting glitter on his face, so they could post a 10 second clip of them saying hi on DNPgames and i would most likely feel satisfied lmao. overall, even though i miss them every single day, however they plan to go about joint content is perfectly okay with me, and i will be happy as long as they are. that's just me, and other opinions are certainly valid, but tl;dr any joint content in any platform is enough to make me smile uncontrollably for a week
:biheart: i'm gonna go change the world in ways you could not believe!
phandemonium
drama llama

Also, given everything I've said previously, I think it's probably obvious that I'm of the camp that they handled the communication about the hiatus about as best they could given their personal circumstances. They talked about the hiatus with us directly on camera twice and explained their reasoning as much as they could at the time. (And have since explained in full and been transparent that they haven't talked about when joint content will return but that it will.) I don't really think a tweet would've done much given that tweeting out negative news historically (and rightfully imo) illicits anger and complaints that they didn't make a video to announce the news. I also don't particularly think monthly updates that they were still on an indefinite hiatus from joint content would've done anything other than stoke anger and drama and likely disrupt the focus Dan talked about needing on the mental health panel.

I'm also sure they talked about Dan and Phil post coming out but given the incredibly personal nature of the situation and how protective of each other and their relationship they've been over the years, I have a feeling those conversations were largely personally focused rather than professional. Conversations like: "Hey how are we gonna deal with it if Dan's family reacts negatively to all of this?" And: "How are we gonna protect ourselves from the intense scrutiny our relationship is about to be under - not only from fans but from complete strangers who don't know us but heard our story and now have loud opinions about it?" And: "How are we gonna deal if the community doesn't accept us; if people are angry that we waited so long or if they think we have nefarious reasons for doing it now?" Stuff like that.

(Also just want to tack on that even though I've just written another short essay here, I completely respect that everyone's opinions on this are going to be different and they're all valid.)
Honestly, I agree with all of this.

I think at this point it wouldn't be unreasonable if Deppy announced their future content just before they were going to release it. A tweet just before/after filming or editing.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I was all set to respond to some of the earlier posts and then I read this comment and I really have nothing to add, you said it all. People are ignoring the fact that Dan and Phil doing things one way in the past has done nothing but make people angrier. If I were them, I'd pick the option of just closing out of twitter and ignoring us when they meet to get shit done, too.
liola
rankussy

There's a difference between tweeting out "soz fans from this country we ain't coming really sorry bye :love2: " and drafting a polite explanation. There's a difference between saying something in a serious tone and giving at least ONE update after a while instead of waiting 6 months. No one is asking for daily updates, no one cares about it, but no, ignoring the issue until it's physically possible isn't imo the best route neither is the professional way to go.

Speaking of the Mexico situation, fans didn't get angry because of the bad news itself (although sure the upset about it was obvious!). People got angry because the dates stayed TBC for MONTHS and fans were ignored for all those months whenever they asked for an update until the passive aggressive "they're T-b-c". That isn't communication.

Someone asked what communication about this would look like, here's my answer: a tweet/a community post if it comes down to it, something that is tangible and can be broadcasted on their main platforms, saying "We hear your concerns. We haven't decided what to do with the gaming channel, but fear not, we are not stopping to film video together any time soon."

Is it that hard? No. Is it perfect? No. Would some people still complain? Ya, probably. But it's effective, it's straight to the point and more importantly, it makes the audience feel HEARD. There's a reason why people say their communication is shit and why people panic 6 months in, and it's because they havent been clear. Almost no one cares about the gaming channel per se, people care about whether or not seeing them interact on video is still a reality that we can expect at some point -professionally. not just in their daily life which is for them.

But, again. if for you (general you) the communication we've gotten so far is enough, that's great! But it's not l ike this for everyone, and people are allowed to make a critique of DanAndPhil professional youtubers and their way to handling the audience - you know, as part of the audience itself that feels dissatisfied. I'm absolutely baffled by the idea that ignoring an issue is going to help it tbh.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
Lobster
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

Sorry to take a hard left turn, but this was bugging me in 2017 and i've just been reminded of it:
Does anyone else think that Charlie Heaton (Jonathan in Stranger Things) looks kinda like Martyn?
noodlebum
flower crown

Lobster wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:54 pm Sorry to take a hard left turn, but this was bugging me in 2017 and i've just been reminded of it:
Does anyone else think that Charlie Heaton (Jonathan in Stranger Things) looks kinda like Martyn?
YES! I was thinking this last night and forgot to mention it
Here's another: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/fa/2e ... b0dacb.jpg
glitterintheair
phillluminati

liola wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:40 pm
Someone asked what communication about this would look like, here's my answer: a tweet/a community post if it comes down to it, something that is tangible and can be broadcasted on their main platforms, saying "We hear your concerns. We haven't decided what to do with the gaming channel, but fear not, we are not stopping to film video together any time soon."

Is it that hard? No. Is it perfect? No. Would some people still complain? Ya, probably. But it's effective, it's straight to the point and more importantly, it makes the audience feel HEARD. There's a reason why people say their communication is shit and why people panic 6 months in, and it's because they havent been clear. Almost no one cares about the gaming channel per se, people care about whether or not seeing them interact on video is still a reality that we can expect at some point -professionally. not just in their daily life which is for them.
I agree and I think they should've done that months ago because so much of the panic, the stress, the drama that has happened in these months was because people were (and still are) unsure about the future of their joint brand. Not about WHEN it'll come back, but IF. So yeah, in that sense I feel like they could've said something earlier to calm down everyone, to give reassurance about the fact that when they'll come back - even if they don't know when or how - we can expect joint stuff from them. Not only that, but Phil saying "I think it was one of the most popular questions" re: the future of dapg, means that they are aware of the fact that their fanbase wants answers. As I said before, I'm glad Phil addressed the issue in the Q&A but that doesn't change the fact that their communication has never been great, especially in the past 6 months and it still isn't great now, because if people panic everytime they do something, there must be a reason for it. And yeah, everything will probably make sense eventually, just like Dan's silence made sense because he was working on his coming out, but waiting is gonna be hard.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Lobster
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

noodlebum wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 pm
Lobster wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:54 pm Sorry to take a hard left turn, but this was bugging me in 2017 and i've just been reminded of it:
YES! I was thinking this last night and forgot to mention it
Here's another: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/fa/2e ... b0dacb.jpg
I'm glad I'm not alone!
Secret Lester sibling?
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

aliceness wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:37 am
glitterintheair wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:24 am RE: Cornelia's ig story - I don't think they're vlogging mostly because Dan had the same camera during the Singapore trip and we didn't get any video out of it.
Do kind of wonder if they'll release another book/autobio or something? Dan's gotta be documenting this stuff for some reason, seems kind of crazy to have a good camera and just be chucking all of the stuff they've documented onto a computer to gather dust, especially when he has an audience of people who would probably be interested in the things he has to share.

Would be pretty cool to see a deep dive into stuff that's happened over the last ten years. Could deffo just drop something like that without any real warning, too
To have their own personal memories of their trip. Literally everyone does that. Everyone takes picture, some people with better cameras than others.
:gayaf:
knq
lava lamp

Dan's brother and uncle are/were both photographers, and in one of the genie gaming videos Phil said Dan takes the odd photo in response to a question about being a photographer, so it seems like something he could have an interest or hobby in.
Gotta love Cornelia saying 'look at the view' while we all zero in on Dan and Phil. :lol: Listening to the clip at half speed (as you do) I hear:

Dan: ... buy one. Did you see it? They're mating. You sleepy? Hmph. That's why I see.
Phil: Yeah. Since we all fly.

:shrug:
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

Dan’s talentworks podcast is up!! Finally my obsessive refreshing can cease :D

https://play.acast.com/s/talentworkspod ... a884ed02cc
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

For the no-podcast crowd, some timestamps:

2:21 - Talking about a sketch he did as a kid where he and his friends were all on drugs, drama teacher was horrified.
2:48 - Does not come from a creative family.
4:22 - Didn't tell any of his friends he was going to make youtube videos.
5:06 - Talking through his creative process.
6:27 - Dad mention; his always had Mock the Week etc on and he naturally absorbed references.
7:17 - He's neurotically obsessed with trying to stay authentic but tries to be responsible.
8:01 - He makes videos about personal things, or opinions. One of his first videos that got big was about fanfiction.
9:21 - Collaborating with others/off-platform work. He enjoys having creative input from a team (like with books) but he's used to having total control.
11:53 - Looking forward to comedy acting or writing a script because those are things he hasn't done.
13:41 - Host says Dan has been a sponge/taking things in at the comedy writer's retreat they recorded this at.
14:54 - He describes TATINOF.
16:03 - Talking about Interactive Introvert/how it was different from TATINOF.
17:45 - "We trusted each other and the people on our crew not to put something wildly inappropriate on the screen."
20:24 - He felt comfortable with the uncomfortable nature of the audienc interaction because he and Phil were "quite comforting supporting each other as performers."
20:51 - Youtube mindset is that the performer does everything from tech stuff to marketing. Makes them massive control freaks.
22:11 - He is most creatively proud of the two stage shows he did with Phil.
22:48 - In terms of videos, he's proud of Tour of my Brain for the creative aspect but something like his mental health video isn't creative but he's proud of it.
23:40 - His attention to detail holds him back. "High internal threshold" so there's so much he doesn't do because it's not good enough to him. His debate over should he loosen up because people want more or keep things at his threshold.
25:07 - He'd like to try more straight up standup and he'd like to write longer form series/not just a one off video. He really enjoys getting stuck into something for a long amount of time, writing a comedy series or a really long special.
noodlebum
flower crown

His voice is SO LOW I didn't realise it was him when he first said hello! Anyway going to listen to some more.

Edit: "There was a section called truth bombs, which is based off a boardgame"
NO DAN, your boardgame! Come on, boast a little :lol:
Last edited by noodlebum on Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alien
procrastinator

noodlebum wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:37 pm His voice is SO LOW I didn't realise it was him when he first said hello! Anyway going to listen to some more
i thought they had made a mistake at first and had someone else on because i couldn't recognize his voice until he properly started talking lol
bevioletsky
glabella

Well that was just lovely. I enjoy listening to both of their voices in chill settings like this so, so much (I should find a way to rip the ii commentary to my phone or something because I loved listening to it the one time I’ve actually managed to do so). Also a reminder of how much I miss liveshows, but I shouldn’t go there. Not too much groundbreaking information, it was interesting to hear his thoughts on what kind of content he’d like to give a try in the future - whatever this longer series he’s talking about could be, I’m intrigued. His voice sounded so strange for the first few seconds after he started speaking that I had to do a double take to check if it was actually him, lmao.
starwatersong
phabergé

I love the “Thanks for having us... and for supporting me” at the end.
GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

basically
sparkle
blobfish

I've been sent home from work today (long story) and spent the whole afternoon in the bath/napping/having a cat nap on me while I need to pee and I've been watching some of Dans old videos.

I'm watching his uni video. Apart from the fact I'm almost 100% sure the Asda he's on about in that video is the one that was literally a 15 minute walk from (technically three) of my old flats.

The fact Dan turned up at Phils with a metric fuck ton of washing and Phils first reaction is 'are you moving in' has me :rainbowtears:

I'm excited to listen to that podcast. I'm loving Ed Milibands podcast and I really like listening to them when I'm on my way to work and don't feel like music.

Also love Casefile, I'm a bit true crime fangirl. If anyone else watches Eleanor Neale please hmu because she's my fave I love her so much
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle: