Dan & Phil Part 88: orbit of uranus

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she/her

yellowsubmarine wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:10 pm
snoopysadie wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:58 pm
woopdada wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:49 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:26 pm lol Dan left tomska on read
Seems a bit rude to share that.
I like Tom, but sometimes he's too much of an Emma Blackery to me.
Yeaaahh that's on poor taste. :/
Sorry to bring this back but could somebody explain to me what happened there? Did Tom tweet something about Dan and then deleted it?

Edit: also sorry about this being on top of the page, I'll copy the link to the podcast
madzilla84 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 pm Dan’s talentworks podcast is up!! Finally my obsessive refreshing can cease :D

https://play.acast.com/s/talentworkspod ... a884ed02cc
Last edited by coffeepenguin on Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

coffeepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:11 pm
Sorry to bring this back but could somebody explain to me what happened there? Did Tom tweet something about Dan and then deleted it?
Ooh, he deleted it, interesting.

Yeah, it was someone asking if there was going to be a Reject 2, and Tom responded with a screenshot of him messaging Dan about it in late June and showing that Dan never responded.
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

cheekyc
squish

Dan and Martyn helping people get their car out of a sand trap in the desert has made my day. V kind.
Also, D is wearing his merch sweater WITH shorts. That’s serious BDE.
:ribena: it’s the internet support group :ribena:
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

GalaxyDarling
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: he/him

That car is deep af in the sand. They'll need something stronger than a man to pull it out of there.
sparkle
blobfish

I've never actually heard Martyn (or Cornelia for that matter) speak until today. Weird.

I appreciate Dans dedication to the hoodie. I tried today (UK, 21°) and couldn't. Nevermind where they are now and I googled and I'm guessing low to mid 30s?! Boy must be a reptile.
:sparkle: dan howell gives me life :sparkle:
don't waste your time
or time will waste you
:sparkle:
GalaxyDarling

At least Dan's upper body is well protected from the UV-rays
knq
lava lamp

Dan’s eternal mood:
There’s a Vegas liveshow where Dan is wearing the furry trapper hat of old and Phil thinks it’s too warm to wear. Dan describes it as a hug for your head. He’s just gone for hoodie hugs since losing the hat. Makes me wonder if he ever tried out that weighted blanket he wanted.
GalaxyDarling

knq wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:04 pm There’s a Vegas liveshow where Dan is wearing the furry trapper hat of old and Phil thinks it’s too warm to wear. Dan describes it as a hug for your head. He’s just gone for hoodie hugs since losing the hat. Makes me wonder if he ever tried out that weighted blanket he wanted.
Oh, so it could be some sort of a comfort/psychological thing? Does Dan not get enough physical contact? Were his parents cold to him growing up? I remember him saying he would hug his pillow earlier. Do we have psych students here; could that be a thing?
Ablissa
pastel persona

I thought Dan's podcast was nice! You could tell it was recorded pre-coming out, but Dan was really eloquent and well-spoken, and the interviewer(s? they have really similar voices or I'm just bad at discerning them) didn't suck. (Hello, VidCon person.)

However, all it did was show me that even if Dan and Phil do a podcast, they need to film it like Jenna and Julien. I kept zoning out all the time - I need something to look at while I'm listening.
GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:18 pm Oh, so it could be some sort of a comfort/psychological thing? Does Dan not get enough physical contact? Were his parents cold to him growing up? I remember him saying he would hug his pillow earlier. Do we have psych students here; could that be a thing?
This makes me really uncomfortable and I hope no "psych student" comes in to analyze Dan's childhood relationship with his parents or whether Dan gets enough physical contact.
noodlebum
flower crown

Ablissa wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:38 pm
However, all it did was show me that even if Dan and Phil do a podcast, they need to film it like Jenna and Julien. I kept zoning out all the time - I need something to look at while I'm listening.
Same, I kept getting distracted looking at other things then have to rewind, even though it was interesting. I have this problem with audio books too. Need a visual! :D
Omgsonew
crusty sponge

I am 10000000000% here for Dan hanging out on other people's podcasts. Get him on all of them
phandemonium
drama llama

GalaxyDarling wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 pm That car is deep af in the sand. They'll need something stronger than a man to pull it out of there.
Duh, they needed a woman. (Cornelia's next story is that she had to stop filming to help push and the rescue was a success.)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

noodlebum wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:44 pm Same, I kept getting distracted looking at other things then have to rewind, even though it was interesting. I have this problem with audio books too. Need a visual! :D
I work in radio and currently am commuting on the bus so I freaking LOVE listening to audio-only content. I wish we had more of it.

Seriously I loved everything about this because I work also at the intersection of traditional/internet media and am a self-employed creator. I am now listening to the other episodes with other creators!! I would LOVE an episode from Capitalester because I'm positive he would have different insights, and especially if he and dan would talk more in depth about their approaches to being jointly-branded with also separate careers. Also, I would actually love a business podcast with Phil and Martyn - WITH SPECIAL GUEST HANK GREEN - to talk about running a merch empire.
noodlebum
flower crown

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:54 pm
noodlebum wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:44 pm Same, I kept getting distracted looking at other things then have to rewind, even though it was interesting. I have this problem with audio books too. Need a visual! :D
I work in radio and currently am commuting on the bus so I freaking LOVE listening to audio-only content. I wish we had more of it.

Seriously I loved everything about this because I work also at the intersection of traditional/internet media and am a self-employed creator. I am now listening to the other episodes with other creators!! I would LOVE an episode from Capitalester because I'm positive he would have different insights, and especially if he and dan would talk more in depth about their approaches to being jointly-branded with also separate careers. Also, I would actually love a business podcast with Phil and Martyn - WITH SPECIAL GUEST HANK GREEN - to talk about running a merch empire.
I'd love to hear more about their businesses too :P

This is really fun Phil Twitter like (thread) by the way, Phil makes a great Dad :lol:
liola
rankussy

Every time you talk about creative industry things imagine me, heart eyes, giving you all my love

I need a better mindframe before listening to Dan's podcast because from what I read it sounds like stuff he's said before but the stand up comedy angle is just...too much for me to handle right now lol
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
noodlebum
flower crown

Nah it was nice to listen to liola, you should definitely give it a listen sometime :P
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

liola wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Every time you talk about creative industry things imagine me, heart eyes, giving you all my love

I need a better mindframe before listening to Dan's podcast because from what I read it sounds like stuff he's said before but the stand up comedy angle is just...too much for me to handle right now lol
What I took from him saying standup is that he considers his videos already that, not that it's going to be a change in style. He talked about the video about handshakes as an example of that.
liola
rankussy

Oh okay thanks alittledizzy and noodlebum! Like I said I only read around so it sounded differently. I will definitely keep it for tomorrow morning to make my working day a bit less boring then
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
coffeepenguin
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:13 pm
coffeepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:11 pm
Ooh, he deleted it, interesting.

Yeah, it was someone asking if there was going to be a Reject 2, and Tom responded with a screenshot of him messaging Dan about it in late June and showing that Dan never responded.
oh, thank you, interesting indeed. Somebody on one of the previous pages said that Dan only ever interacted with Tom for promotional purposes, which I strongly disagree with. The two (three, if you also count Phil) of them are not best friends, of course, and Tom/Chloe/Dan Layton/Dodie etc. have their own group, but I've always felt like they sincerely enjoyed each other's company on those occasions when their paths crossed, and imo, Tom and Dan are somewhat similar in many ways. Tom also has a particular sense of humor, which I personally don't really like, but I appreciate him very much as a person, I found his vlogs very insightful, especially about all things youtube and mental health, I was very sad when he ended them, even if I completely understand and respect his reasons. I hope that Dan reached out to him after that tweet, and that's why Tom deleted it, and that they'll work it out between the two of them and continue to have a good relationship in the future, whether in a professional capacity or otherwise.
Last edited by coffeepenguin on Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan wants to be understood. Phil just wants to make the viewer smile and sell some backpacks (c) fancybum
knq
lava lamp

(My intention with bringing up Dan’s warm clothing in warm weather thing wasn’t to dig into his psychology or upbringing, dunno if that was clear. Anyways, moving on!)

I wonder if Dan had already planned his Vidcon routine when he was at the writers retreat?

I’m also super curious what these scripts he and Phil keep mentioning are about. It’s hard for me to imagine them as writers rather than performers, especially of something with a fictional plot and characters. I don’t think we’ve seen anything like that from them before, have we?
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

liola wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 pm Every time you talk about creative industry things imagine me, heart eyes, giving you all my love
<3 Aww. I hope it is helpful here when I chime in, since my job is actually closer to DnP's than most people and it's a weird freaking job, making stuff on the internet and selling your personality in bits in pieces (though I'm on the edutainment, not entertainment, side of content creation).

I almost guarantee that Dan was working on his routine at the comedy retreat, and probably also BIG (especially given that he was talking about the hero's journey/storytelling and that was REALLY apparent in BIG.)
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

The podcast was different, it’s a bit weird to hear him just talking and in his softer voice. I listened to their audiobook of Tabinof about 10 times, but they sounded the same as usual. I also did a double take for a moment when he first spoke cos it didn’t sound like him. Interesting to hear about doing drama as a kid, his dad having comedy shows on tv and about learning stuff at the retreat. And being a control freak, I love when he says “no!” in that scary voice, he did it in the mental health panel too I think. Love that Cornelia’s supermuscles were the deciding factor in getting that car out of the sand ;)
thatspecificboob
smol bean

Ablissa wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:38 pm I thought Dan's podcast was nice! You could tell it was recorded pre-coming out, but Dan was really eloquent and well-spoken, and the interviewer(s? they have really similar voices or I'm just bad at discerning them) didn't suck. (Hello, VidCon person.)
I've only listened to half of the podcast so far, but couldn't help making a comparison to the quality of these questions versus what Phil was asked in his Q&A - maybe the VidCon interviewer deliberatly decided to take a lighthearted tone so didn't want to dig in too deep, but I like the focus here on understanding Dan's creative process.

Ooh, and I also wondered if I was listening to the right podcast when Dan's voice sounded so low at the beginning!