Dan & Phil Part 89: So what now?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

That was so emotional.
PHIL I LOVE YOU I NEED TO HUG YOU.

Also, wow, he really can't shut up about Dan.
:gayaf:
firsttimeposter
living flop

taco baco wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:20 pm Phil saying he only had 4 friends in London and no real hobbies really broke my heart. Surprisingly emotional video.
Yeah that was the part that made me emotional as well. Loneliness is literally the worst feeling ever, even if you’re not technically All alone. I’m happy he’s letting himself concentrate on personal stuff rn. Uhh I love him
bevioletsky
glabella

bevioletsky wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:54 pm I’m 28 seconds in and he’s promising to “hit me with all the behind-the-scenes juice” and I would like to say that I have never been happier to be wrong. Hope for some good tea ☕️
Aww, tea feels like the wrong word, that was sweet. I don’t know why I seem to underestimate his skill to share and yet keep that AmazingPhil distance, but it’s a well-honed ability, and one that I respect and appreciate. Same goes for the way he talks about Dan without talking about him, almost. Not sure if that makes sense, I need to go the fuck to sleep so no time for trying to write more coherent thoughts but I’m so, so glad he feels like he can breathe now. He deserves it, they both do.
woopdada
phillion/danosaur <//3

I'm sad that travel show didn't work out. That would have been so great.
blahblahblah8
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Aw that made me more emotional than I was expecting! I’m glad he said that they’re focusing on life now, I feel like that was a good way to acknowledge people worried about joint content/projects
snoopysadie
Pronouns: she/her

that video hit me like a bus.
I am shocked that he said personal things he wouldn't usually say but at the same time he didn't share anything new except paving the possibility of the gaming channel ending a little more.

still, this video was basically: these past 6 years were amazing but EXHAUSTING, we had fun but we really want to buy a house and go out with our friends for a bit, and he threw in a little healthy, reasonable shade by saying that simply because they don't share EVERYTHING that doesn't mean they're sitting around doing nothing.

A bit sad that he couldn't confirm any projects yet but that's not his fault, I wish someone would pick up a project of him ALREADYYYY. We'll make you money, random exec guy/lady, just employ this tol bean and his super creative idea.

but yeah... THE HOUSE THOUGH, DID YOU GET THAT BIT? I GOT THAT BIT :rainbowtears:

Phil Lester, man, what a fucking king :stan:
"I still remember... the first day I met you."
"I remember it, too"
autumnhearth
senpai

Ataraxia25 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:53 pm I just want some communication.
I find it ironic/appropriate that this is/was at the top of the page (not a call out, we’ve all been saying it and this particular post isn’t even the the right example of what we’ve complained about) as that’s really what is at the heart of his video: us not understanding everything they are going through and why he doesn’t communicate freely. It was really heavy for me and my head hurts. I know I have nothing to feel guilty about, I’ve never pestered him (and I’m not saying anyone here has). All I want is for them to be happy and I hope we all take the time to digest this video. I’m going to cry now.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

This video drives home for me that this year they're doing the things they feel like they need to do in order to set themselves up for the healthiest, most confident future they can. They're clearing all the cobwebs out of the way before they move into that forever home. When the world looks at these two men sharing this life they've made together, they won't have anything to feel like they need to shy away from or downplay. It doesn't matter what they do or don't shout from the rooftops, what's theirs will be theirs and it won't matter who does or doesn't talk about it.
000dia000
emo goose

I kind of just wanted to wait for something to happen before making a post again, and I'm glad I did because I loved the video and it's a really nice thing to come back to. I'm really glad that Phil seems to be at a good place in his life (and I assume Dan too by extension, his iPad tweet with his Gran is adorable!!)

I think what the video confirmed a lot for me:
1. We really know nothing about their personal lives, and it's really sad to hear about how much hardship Phil went through in his personal life, that he wasn't in a place to express publicly.
2. They really are constantly working, and
3. People on this forum have somehow hit the nail on the head with Phil's particular anxieties and idiosyncrasies, otherwise he lurks or something, because everything that Phil has never said before somehow sounded so familiar.

Welp. I guess we know for certain now that there's no more DanAndPhilGames and that's the end of joint branding and they're basically back to the elusive boyfriend roommate™. While it's a hard end to an era, at least Phil has kind of explained themselves better, and it doesn't feel as harsh as it did a few months back.

And to point out the obvious, I was fully expecting that when Phil was talking about how he felt he was missing out on normal life from being wrapped up in work, that he would say "And it's about time I get a boyfriend!" or something along those lines but he never did. Instead he started talking about the future with a dog...using we... :sobs: I think at this point I'd say They're really moving!!!1!!!!111! only that it's been said every day for the past two years but I just think it will just happen when the time is right.

I always wanted Phil to expand upon and use his creativity for solo projects. I admit that sadly in a way he might have been held back a bit by YouTube with the flack that YouTuber's get and his unfortunate branding that wasn't doing him any favours. He's now going back to the beginning, to when he wanted to be a director (or into writing, from whatever he's implying). I look forward to whatever he plans to do.

Do you guys think Dan would also work on something creative, or do you think he's working on sort of activist projects? (Both?) Considering they're definitely heading separately career wise I just wonder HOW different?
:cactus:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Well, that was worth the wait. Phil reminding us for the second video in a row that we don't know shit about him :lol:

I'm still processing it all but here are some thoughts:

It really did feel more like a Draw Our Life for a good chunck of the video. So much 'we'. And in case there are still any 'tHeY bRoKe Up DuH' antiphannie nutcases out there, when talking about his lack of a life outside of work he did not mention a romantic partner. Because he already has one. Duh. Other than that, I'm shocked at how personal Phil got during some parts. I feel like I've learned more about him in 20 minutes than 5 years.

I teared up during the bit about his dad becoming ill. I remember back in the radio show era that some people would criticize Phil for taking more weeks off than Dan did to go on holiday with his family. If any of them are still around I hope they feel bad. Phil loves his family so much and it's so great to see. May Kath and Nigel live long and happy retired lives on IoM. It's sweet that his parents seem to be Phil's relationship goals. :love2:

Joint content... I will always wish for the DAPG to come back as something but I guess I shall deal with them occasionally popping up on each other's channels. Sigh. I'm sure it's nice for them that they get to be Dan and Phil without the ™ for the first time in years though. I hope the future looks bright for them in whatever they pursue.

Something I noticed: no word about liveshows. Unless I missed it. Those weren't my fave type of content, but a lot of people miss them and maybe I'd appreciate them more without DAPG. Even if they don't wanna return to YouNow (understandable after the disaster that was Rize even if it did sponsor the tour) I hope they find a way to establish a connection like that with their audience again. I love the Stories, but it's obvious that those are just not a consistent thing when they're not travelling. But Insta also has a livestreaming feature lads. Hint hint.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Afunnyworld
sofa crease

We have a like button now? !!!! I haven't been active for a while lol. That video was really wholesome, and I really appreciate that phil made it.

The video made me think about how, regarding the status of their relationship, dan and phil have technically not verbally confirmed it. It's obvious to anyone who isn't actively looking to see it another way, but I don't think they've verbally confirmed that they're together (please correct me if i'm wrong, I may have missed some stuff over the passed few months.)

Anyway, it sucks that their relationship is still something they still have to tiptoe around when talking. Hopefully they are happy for it to be that way, because I could see how it might be exhausting.
fluffyhairemmy
crusty sponge

so i scraped through tumblr and i gotta say...i kind of wish the general reaction was more positive? some people were like “well that’s nothing we haven’t seen before” (at least that's what i observed personally) and i’m like ?????

i’m sure I’ll get shit for this but i think this taught us that you have no idea what a person is going through inside. we don’t know any of the boys’s personal struggles, and watching phil’s video made my heart break for him.
i went through a similar thing with my nana almost a year ago and i literally shut down. i had started my senior year of high school and had to deal with starring in a show while being shat on by my director, college auditions and applications, AP classes, and all the normal senior struggles while also struggling with my first close family death.
anyways, i think we need to be a lot more careful in the future about pushing deppy to upload, post, etc. even though they've made it clear that they respect our boundaries, the truth is, we have no idea what they do and don't see. unintentionally hurting them after the great relationship we've established is the last thing i want.

aaaaanyways i love phil lester and i'm glad he felt comfortable enough to share all of that with us. sorry for the lack of articulation! carry on lovies :love2:
:lilheart: learning love is not a crime :lilheart:
making the time to be a phannie as a new college student is hard :reading2:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

“So, to [help others] and feel comfortable myself talking publicly about parts of my life going forward, I decided to make a youtube video about [being gay]."

I keep replaying this bit of the video. He wants to feel comfortable talking publicly about parts of his life going forward.

I...
:rainbowtears:
George
sad dimple

this just screams they have had THE TALK about having family and kids and their future and now is time to take drastic steps to get there and get that life they want to have together and I'm... still sad over the gaming channel what's wrong with me

(I didn't read what has been said bc it's 2am and I'm supposed to be at work at 8 am so if this is already said then it is)
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

rizzo wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:49 pm “So, to [help others] and feel comfortable myself talking publicly about parts of my life going forward, I decided to make a youtube video about [being gay]."

I keep replaying this bit of the video. He wants to feel comfortable talking publicly about parts of his life going forward.

I...
:rainbowtears:
I keep thinking about that too... :rainbowtears:
:gayaf:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Re: gaming channel, I'm sad. Definitely. But I'm mildly hopeful that we still get a sprinkling of joint content on each others' channels? Phil said we would. Dan said they love working together.

And the views on joint content says $$$fancy$vacation$$$, so like... Don't leave me hangin', bros.

Surely, we'll at least get a mukbang.
padfoot
smol bean

God, I know I shitted on his content choices a lot before but... I really missed watching Phil. :happytears: Video was refreshing and made me feel so proud, they really did a lot in a (personally) small time frame. Also +5 points for bringing back a pretty aged concept that is draw my life. A lot of big channels and youtube trends are going almost full circle nowadays, so, nice move.

Putting all emotional and heart warming things this video brought up aside.... I can not believe we were almost graced with The Greatness. I will see you in my dreams, d&p travel show......
blahblahblah8

Hm I just noticed there was no ads (or maybe it’s just me?) I’m guessing maybe he didn’t want to profit off what was mostly personal stuff?
knq
lava lamp

I’m really sad to hear that they feel they’ve done all the projects they can/want to as a duo. It’s something they’ve been hinting at since the beginning of II, but it still feels like a stab to the heart. They’re so good and funny and uplifting together. I’m sad. I don’t have anything more articulate to convey than sad.

I’m sure they’ll both do fulfilling and wonderful things in their careers and private lives moving forward. But like. Sad. :(
fairylights
crusty sponge

the video was really nice. made me a bit emotional. i'm glad phil feels comfortable enough now to share other parts of his life.

i'm a bit sad about the gaming channel? not that i fully expected it back, but. i'm still hoping that they'll bring it back in some form, even if it's not in the near future. but if they don't, that's okay. i'm glad that they'll definitely continue to do some form of joint content, and i'm excited for the things that they want to do separately.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

knq wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:05 pm I’m really sad to hear that they feel they’ve done all the projects they can/want to as a duo. It’s something they’ve been hinting at since the beginning of II, but it still feels like a stab to the heart. They’re so good and funny and uplifting together. I’m sad. I don’t have anything more articulate to convey than sad.

I’m sure they’ll both do fulfilling and wonderful things in their careers and private lives moving forward. But like. Sad. :(
I'm viewing it more like they just want to step back from publicly being a unit so that they can focus on just getting to live their life both in the spotlight and as a personal unit, which definitely soothes some of the wounds there for me. Particularly given what rizzo quoted above - Phil wanted to be out so he can talk about parts of his life openly. They're being very slow and cautious, easing us in, but I think I'll like the world where Dan and Phil are sharing their life offscreen with us openly as much as I did the world where they shared themselves onscreen openly but the door was shut on personal things.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That was very interesting. I wasn’t surprised that he opened up more about his family, anxiety and financial issues. He said something at the start that opened the gates for openness. I’ve already forgotten exactly what it was, though.

It’s interesting that went through that phase of taking on every work thing offered to them and only quite a while later felt financially able to turn things down (I hope I’m remembering correctly, things all mush a bit into one as soon as I finish watching a video). They seem to have done so well financially that it’s weird to think of them worrying about it, though obvs way back then it wasn’t always that way. All their savings for a year’s rent in London is enough to gamble on.

Awful to hear about him getting stressed out from taking on so much, I know the feeling, though have had such different stress over work/lack of, it’s been the bane of my life for years. Also his dad and I’m glad he’s in remission. That was a weird one for me, mine had 6 years of treatment and when he died the lonely feels led me to these boys, they’re forever connected in my heart. I’ve had the lonelies lately too, having only a handful of rl friends left and feeling like few are interested does feel crap. Reminds me I saw their friend Adam at SITC, he moderated a panel, though I forget which.

I probably had a few other thoughts and have forgotten them now, will probs rewatch, though. Oh, no time for hobbies, that surprised me. It’s a shame they both obviously can’t say anything about unbaked projects and that he doesn’t like to share much, it leaves a bit of a disconnect, but really I’ve felt that since they dropped liveshows, doubt I’m alone there.

It’s amazing to hear again about all the things they’ve done and boy do I hope the writing gets somewhere. My own is my refuge of the only thing I feel I really have sometimes. I’m curious about whatever it is, part of me wishes for some kind of fiction cos he has such an imagination, but whatever it is I’m here.

I was braced for him to tell us about joint content, so it was interesting that he did and that it was pretty short and sweet. Both wrapped up what we’ve wondered about the gaming channel and that they’re staying mostly separate going forwards, at least for a while. Thankfully still mention of popping up together, cos damn it’d be sad to not have any collabs, I guess that would be a step too far for anyone, no need to draw that big a line under it.

Good point that Phil was the last to upload. VidCon and road trip aside, it’s been 2 months since Dan’s video and no mention of what he’s up to or might do next. I think we’d assumed he might do a monthly upload in future, but we’ve had no actual indication of what or when. Lots to rewatch in this for now, though. Did appreciate his actor voice, I gotta say. Always here for Phil’s voice. On the joke mention of a cookbook, album of duets featuring your heavenly baritone, Philip, I’ll always be the first to say it ;)
wynoxium
not a first-time poster

fluffyhairemmy wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:48 pm so i scraped through tumblr and i gotta say...i kind of wish the general reaction was more positive? some people were like “well that’s nothing we haven’t seen before” (at least that's what i observed personally) and i’m like ?????

i’m sure I’ll get shit for this but i think this taught us that you have no idea what a person is going through inside.
i witnessed this too and it broke my heart. so many people write off his videos/projects as "easy" and "surface level," even though phil chooses to omit parts of his personal life from his videos to make his channel a positive getaway for his viewers. a lot of people seemed to have missed that point even regarding this video, expecting some huge reveal about what all he'll be working on and details of their relationship, even though he definitely revealed how he sees the future in a more personal, subtle way. it's totally unfair for people to expect a perfect explanation of the future or insight into their relationship, and i'm confident that they'll reveal what they want, when they want and how they want (even though i thought this vid was !!! - house! dog! new projects!)

i understand why as a standalone vid why this could be disappointing for some but it felt more than perfect for me, and it gives insight into the future which is super exciting. it seems like a perfect transition vid from post-coming out universe to The Future™ to patch the gap, explain the hiatus, and preface the wave of new content from them both. jumping straight into new content wouldn't have been as fulfilling as content after knowing phil as a person better, and knowing his creative vision for the future.

from now on, phil makes vids for phil, and to make himself and his viewers happy - he's exceeded his own standards, which is more than enough for me. i know he probably didn't enjoy his more formulaic youtube videos as much as his more creative ventures, so i hope he can finally create content that he likes to make.

all i can hope is that phil can finally be in a place where he feels happy and content with his life and youtube content. <3
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

Curses to the company that robbed us of a Dan and Phil travel show. ✈ 🌍
abundanceofbees
not a first-time poster

In honor of the upload I guess now is the time to finally make an IDB account/post after… 4??5?? years of watching dnp

This video felt like such a breath of fresh air to me and I’m not sure if anyone has had the same experience, but the era’s of dnp always seem to happen exactly at the right time for me. Being 14/15 and binging all of their videos when I was just looking for entertainment and something to fill the little bit of free time the new “high school” thing left, being 16 and watching Daniel and Depression and the more serious content as I was experiencing some of the first true family loss in my life, and being 17/18 with the endless void of possibilities that was late 2018 1st half of 2019 that perfectly lined up with college applications and the “whats next?” question.

So this Phil vid really “hit different” as we say here because I’m leaving for college in a few days and having dnp move forward into the rest their lives at this time gives me a lot of hope. Anyways, I really loved the video and can’t wait for everything that comes next! :)