Dan & Phil Part 89: So what now?

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

I 100% feel Phil's feelings about "not having a life." Yes, like everything he says, it comes from a position of privilege. But he's in his 30's, he's from a town where the cost of living is much lower than London, he's likely seeing lots of friends with kids and houses and pets (including other youtubers his age). Sometimes you have to step back and assess what you've sacrificed to build your career.

Yes, it's a position of privilege to be in control of your own business and schedule and be relatively financially secure (I'm not as secure as him) but the toll that being completely focused on your career takes on your personal life is not to be underestimated, not to mention the stress of doing things without a roadmap (there's no uni degree for "youtube empire management").

I don't think that folks are giving enough credit to the sheer amount of work DNP have put in - they traveled for over half of last year - and their houseplants died because they didn't have enough friends to ask to take care of them. Phil went to the hospital after passing out from work stress - and that was over a MONTH after he got back from tour. They flew 12+ hours to Argentina for a 2 hour event. Like, that shit is hard on your body and really doesn't leave a lot of "non work" time.

Because of the nature of his job, everything creative he does, and even the video games - are work for him. I have the same issue where when you personality is part of your brand and you're doing creative work as your job, it's extremely hard to "shut off from work". Even more so when your business partner is your life partner and one of your only friends. And when every part of your life can be monetized, it's hard to step back and assess when and if it should be or if you should just enjoy the moment.

It's okay for him to say he wants his life to be more well-rounded, and it also wasn't meant (I'm positive) to be a judgement on your own life. He wants to be more well-rounded. That's okay. It's a new chapter. It's not meant to be an invitation for your to analyze if he's "working hard enough" or if he's thankful enough for his career success or if maybe he DOES have enough friends.

(The other thing is that most of his hobbies are consuming - either games or TV shows - which is not quite the same as creating as a hobby.)
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop

Puffy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 am The other day I discovered that when someone’s net worth is reported, it’s an estimate of all the money they’ve earned over the entirety of their career.
Internet net worth estimates are extremely, extremely unreliable. They're often literally made up by content farms for SEO.

Net worth is actually total assets - total liabilities. So for example, if they had $500K in the bank but had $300K due for payroll taxes and to their printers and tshirt suppliers and $20,000 in student loan debt, that would be a $180,000 net worth.

In Dan and Phil's case, though, they may make $100,000 in a year, but that money might make more money through other investments like stocks/bonds or real estate. That means their net worth is not "all the money they've made" because some of their net worth comes from returns off investments. Also, if they make $100,000 in 2019, but put $80,000 into living expenses, they would only have increased their net worth by $20,000. Make sense?

It's very typical for entrepreneur, especially folks in creative industries and physical good production (like IRL) to actually not have a lot of assets that aren't tied up in the business. They may very well have very few other investments.

So how much an entrepreneur makes for year really means very little, which is why the business statements from IRL say nothing about how much DNP actually take home since it's very possible all the IRL and DNP Touring productions are getting invested back into the business. I took no salary from my business the first two years and put all money back into the business.
Puffy
drama llama

plinthofmylife wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:12 am
Puffy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 am The other day I discovered that when someone’s net worth is reported, it’s an estimate of all the money they’ve earned over the entirety of their career.
Internet net worth estimates are extremely, extremely unreliable. They're often literally made up by content farms for SEO.

Net worth is actually total assets - total liabilities. So for example, if they had $500K in the bank but had $300K due for payroll taxes and to their printers and tshirt suppliers and $20,000 in student loan debt, that would be a $180,000 net worth.

In Dan and Phil's case, though, they may make $100,000 in a year, but that money might make more money through other investments like stocks/bonds or real estate. It's very typical for entrepreneur, especially folks in creative industries and physical good production (like IRL) to actually not have a lot of assets that aren't tied up in the business. They may very well have very few other investments.

So how much an entrepreneur makes for year really means very little, which is why the business statements from IRL say nothing about how much DNP actually take home since it's very possible all the IRL and DNP Touring productions are getting invested back into the business. I took no salary from my business the first two years and put all money back into the business.
Thank you! Yes, this is what I was trying to get at but did very poorly. Also your last post is great too – a hobby that isn’t creative for a creative person can be soul-destroying if it’s all they have outside of work. Especially if you want to write tv instead of watching it or need another outlet that isn’t simply consuming media.
noodlebum
flower crown

flarequake wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:41 am Oh, The Sims magic expansion, the memo to me that they’re winding 4 down ready for 5, though I haven’t been keeping up so maybe not at all, but usually the magic one is the end. It looks amazing, though. They do get better every time. I made some Harry Potter Sims in 3 and the broomsticks were fun seeing them whizzing around everywhere.

Lots of other people work until 5am? Holy frick, I never did and I got stressed enough in various jobs. Phil may have meant no constructive, active or social hobby. Board game night I’d call social, not a personal hobby, if we’re nitpicking, and it doesn’t sound like he had time or energy for anything if he was working and emailing to all hours. As has been said, he’s also probably been comparing himself to people who seem to be more active or social, maybe, and who seemed to be moving past him buying a house and having kids. I vaguely remember the feeling from when I was younger before I thought about it more and tried to stop caring. He may not realise everyone, more or less, is in the same boat and he doesn’t need to think of himself as lame.

Risking their whole savings for Tatinof does sound like a huge deal to me. If they hadn’t used that money, they’d have stayed financially secure, but risking it all isn’t so if they’d lost it, they wouldn’t have had much left to fall back in at that point.
(I am very excited by the magic expansion, especially if it has something similar to magic town like from the original Sims series)

I also think he means hobbies which are more substantial than playing board games/watching films. Maybe he wants to take up a sport (ha!) or creative hobby outside of work, or regular exercise again, that sort of thing. It doesn't mean he's calling us lame for not having those hobbies, more judging himself with regards to the type of person he saw himself being aged 32. Same with not everyone can own their own house/dog by that age, but in his friendship/work circle, he probably sees himself being a bit behind in that sense, still renting.
phandemonium
drama llama

I think one important thing to consider when analysing Phil's self-described "no life" is the fact that, while being only in his early 30s, for the past 10+ years he's been doing the same job, living in a rented apartment, in the same relationship. Yes, the y moved from Manchester to London and did many amazing things and had experiences many of us can only dream about. But the essentials are still the same: the same career (one which doesn't allow for much work/play divide), the same living situation, the same boyfriend, the same lack of dog, the same... Those are all reasons to be happy and things many of us would sacrifice a limb for. But they can absolutely be experienced as stagnation. He got to a certain point much earlier than most people do, too - steady career, steady relationships - and so it's not weird that he'd expect to have also already achieved other milestones he desires for his life.

I'm just a little younger than Phil and most of my peers have gone through significant life changes in their mid- to late-20s. Career starts and changes, new partners or getting married to the pre-existing ones, acquiring forever homes (either bought or rentals that feel long-term), pets, children... It's not universal, but it's common. I can absolutely see how "I'm over 30 and my personal life is the same just bigger as it was 5, even 10 years ago and it's nothing like an episode of Friends" can feel like a source of frustration over stagnation.

Is he speaking from a position of privilege? Yes. Is his life significantly better than mine from what I can see? Absolutely. (Though to be fair he's put in a lot of work and risks J haven't, it's well-earned.) But does that mean he can't be unhappy with it? Absolutely not. It's him personally identifying something he's dissatisfied with in his personal life. And he decided to share that personal feeling with us. It wasn't meant as a judgement.

Also... "having no life" is a very common phrase. I use it frequently to describe the fact that I really don't do much outside of work. I wouldn't read too much into it, it's honestly just a turn of a phrase.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Katka wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:44 am I mean, being in a stable relationship, having a job I like and 3-4 friends is my definition of a good life too but everyone has different standards. I felt like what Phil meant with having no life was more abstract than that though because I feel like that too a lot even though I have a lot going on. Hot take incoming, but I think it’s a generational thing. I’m a millennial, so is Phil, and I know a lot of people in that age group who feel like they’ve missed out on something or haven’t experienced enough, no matter what they’re doing. There’s probably an explanation for that but I don’t know, it just seems to be a thing.

And I know Phil got to have all those amazing experiences, like actually being famous, going on world tours, travelling a lot and so on and so forth but there’s a dark side to everything and I guess his is not really experiencing his 20s like everyone else. There’s a lot of “normal” stuff we might take for granted he missed out on when his fame grew. I’m totally speculating right now but I think this might actually play into what he meant a lot? He worked his ass off to have the career he has now over the past ca. 10 years so I guess there wasn’t a lot of time to build friendships, like he said in the video, or just do normal “guy in his 20s” stuff at all.

Also, we know he wants to write stuff. Whether that's a TV show or a book, no idea, but he's said quite a few times now that he wants to write and didn't have the time. I'm gonna wildly project here but my hobby is songwriting and when I can't write for a few days or even weeks, I feel horrible because I can't do the thing I truly love due to work or other stuff. If he really wants to be a writer and couldn't because he just didn't have the time to sit down and write that might explain why he feels like he never had time for a real hobby, that hobby being writing? Maybe that's just me but having a creative hobby and not being able to practice it is stressful.
I love your whole post so much but especially the bolded part. I personally feel like I'm always missing out on something, no matter what I do or what I achieve and i know most of my friends (my age, millennials too) feel that way.
Which is paradoxal for someone like Phil, who achieved so much and experienced so many things that we never will (internet fame, world tour, raising a huge amount of money for charity)
(But by saying that i DO NOT mean that Phil shouldn't feel that! As we've just said, it's probably generational so it's okay if he feels that way!)
:gayaf:
i look like a pencil
tol bean

I'm honestly surprised by this reaction to Phil's video. The guy was sharing bits of his life, the things he went through and trying to explain where he's at now and you (general you) say "lol phil, everybody has a busy/stressful life, you have a longterm bf, lots of money and 4 friends, you're fine get over it" (obviously paraphrasing but that's what it sounds like).

I think Phil was simply saying that his whole life has revolved around his career and trying to make it and taking risks potentially losing everything he/they had and that he wants to change that and focus more on his personal life because he feels it's lacking. He wants to take a breath and reduce the amount of stress he experiences (for which he literally ended up in a hospital). I don't understand how is that considered being entitled??
Phanshy
cheeky #spon

The reactions to him opening up about his feelings are probably a big reason why he doesn't very often, I think it's easy to look at someone's life from the outside and think it's easier or better than yours especially if they are rich and famous but to take it as a judgement on your own life is a bit over sensitive to me and seems like your looking to be offended.

I think a large part of Phil feeling like he isn't where he wants to be in his non work life is because of them not being out, so maybe it was hard to make friends they could trust and they put off buying a house together because it would out them.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

flarequake wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:41 am Lots of other people work until 5am? Holy frick, I never did and I got stressed enough in various jobs.

Risking their whole savings for Tatinof does sound like a huge deal to me. If they hadn’t used that money, they’d have stayed financially secure, but risking it all isn’t so if they’d lost it, they wouldn’t have had much left to fall back in at that point.
I do agree with points of your post, but just picking out the 2 I have opposing arguments for to save space:

1) yeah, I mean people do work until 5am. Doctors, nurses, police, other overnight jobs. We know they sleep in late, so they don't work a typical 9-5. And yes, obviously being so busy they have to stay up until 5am is an extreme, but first of all that gives no indication of how long they actually worked throughout the day (since we don't what time they started, how many breaks they had throughout the day, how long they procrastinated, etc.) I'm not negating that they worked hard because I think those 5am nights probably were because they were overworked at that time and I sympathise with the stress during these times, but that brings me to my second point which is that those 5am nights weren't all the time. How many days off in 'vacation' days of actually being on vacation or doing nothing that day have they taken compared to many peoples' 10 days vacation per year (using the minimum and common amount where I'm from). Again, my point isn't to compare exact numbers, it's to point out that everyone's work situation is different and using one arbitrary statistic like the fact that they had to stay up until 5am to finish some videos doesn't mean other regular people don't compare to their work amount and work stress

2)I think you're missing my point about tatinof. They only got to take that risk because they had the means to. It's still a risk yes and I understand that, but they didn't have to do that. They weren't doing it because they needed to, they were doing it because it was something they wanted to do. A lot of people wouldn't have that luxury to being with. No, I don't think they were super rich before tatinof, but I think they were easily getting by (and more)
greenergrass
stress mushroom

i look like a pencil wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:55 am I'm honestly surprised by this reaction to Phil's video. The guy was sharing bits of his life, the things he went through and trying to explain where he's at now and you (general you) say "lol phil, everybody has a busy/stressful life, you have a longterm bf, lots of money and 4 friends, you're fine get over it" (obviously paraphrasing but that's what it sounds like).

I think Phil was simply saying that his whole life has revolved around his career and trying to make it and taking risks potentially losing everything he/they had and that he wants to change that and focus more on his personal life because he feels it's lacking. He wants to take a breath and reduce the amount of stress he experiences (for which he literally ended up in a hospital). I don't understand how is that considered being entitled??
Just want to clarify this isn't what I've meant by my posts at all. I tried to make it clear in the first post that I sympathise with him and understand his feelings. I fully support him making a better life for himself, as I think we should all constantly be evaluating and improving ourselves and our lives where we can.

I'm not trying to attack phil, and I'm only talking about a couple things from the video from a bit of an opposing viewpoint because I don't have much to add onto the positive things. People have already done that very well.

I think people seem to see stuff very black and white on here a lot. It's possible to have a discussion about things from different viewpoints while also totally seeing things from the other person's point of view. It's not all or nothing. And if I made a point by point list of everything I agreed with in the video I'd be here typing for an hour lol so instead my original post was just pointing out a couple things from a devil's advocate type perspective.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I've had the same job and the same apartment and the same friend circle for over 10 years, and while i am very very grateful for all that I have, sometimes I do feel bored with it and pretty lame. When I have those thoughts I feel immediately guilty because I do have so much more than some people. I relate to that part of Phil's video, because even though I objectively have a lot and try to practice conscious gratitude, sometimes it doesn't feel like enough and I do want a change.

On another note, I was surprised to hear in DML2 that Phil had to pick up the phone and come out to this extended family before COTY. This makes me realize he was more closeted than I thought, which makes my heart hurt for him.
i look like a pencil
tol bean

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 pm
i look like a pencil wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:55 am I'm honestly surprised by this reaction to Phil's video. The guy was sharing bits of his life, the things he went through and trying to explain where he's at now and you (general you) say "lol phil, everybody has a busy/stressful life, you have a longterm bf, lots of money and 4 friends, you're fine get over it" (obviously paraphrasing but that's what it sounds like).

Just want to clarify this isn't what I've meant by my posts at all. I tried to make it clear in the first post that I sympathise with him and understand his feelings. I fully support him making a better life for himself, as I think we should all constantly be evaluating and improving ourselves and our lives where we can.

I'm not trying to attack phil, and I'm only talking about a couple things from the video from a bit of an opposing viewpoint because I don't have much to add onto the positive things. People have already done that very well.

I think people seem to see stuff very black and white on here a lot. It's possible to have a discussion about things from different viewpoints while also totally seeing things from the other person's point of view. It's not all or nothing. And if I made a point by point list of everything I agreed with in the video I'd be here typing for an hour lol so instead my original post was just pointing out a couple things from a devil's advocate type perspective.
...well yes of course I know that not everything is black and white and that obviously everyone has a different point of view/opinion, I was just staying that I very much disagree with the points you (again, general you, not trying to pick a fight) made lol. I was just taken aback by this reaction to Phil's video, but as you said everyone has/can have a different perspective, that's why we discuss things like this on here.
Templeofshame
rainbow nerd

I haven't seen any negative responses to Phil's musings on having "no life," just thoughtful discussion about how common these issues are (in particular among Millennials, e.g. a lot of us) and how his frame of reference may differ from ours, so I'm a little confused by the defensive turn in the conversation. Was really enjoying the discussion, though! Stagnation-within-a-pretty-good-but-shitty-in-some-ways situation is something that haunts my thoughts too often, but I never would have made that connection to Phil (from my perspective, his career has had a lot of huge changes, but this discussion has helped me to imagine it more from a YouTubery perspective) without IDB, and there have been so many good thoughtful points made here.
Megancita75 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:54 pm On another note, I was surprised to hear in DML2 that Phil had to pick up the phone and come out to this extended family before COTY. This makes me realize he was more closeted than I thought, which makes my heart hurt for him.
This is interesting, and ties into recent chapters of coffee at midnight in making me really assess my assumptions on extended family and closetedness (and how we interact with old people). It is sad, I guess, to think of Phil bringing Dan to things and talking about Dan, always presenting him to extended family as a friend. But with Dan being closeted, even if Phil were fully out to them, that would have been the case. I guess I'm just not that close to my extended family, but it seems pretty normal just not to talk much or at all about romantic or sexual attractions/interests to extended family outside of an actual relationship, and if the relationship can't be acknowledged, a glass-closet Phil just makes sense (until it's gonna be all over the internet and that presses Phil to explicitly state it first).
noodlebum
flower crown

I agree, I think we're all just discussing different points from the video in general, not having a go or anything! We've said most of the (many many, almost 100%) positives, so now just using other points to discuss Phil's viewpoint and compare to our own lives, & generally chat life!

Not negative towards Phil, he just brings up good discussion points :) We're all very different people from all walks from life, so interesting to get different viewpoints on things like 'what makes a life' or 'what's a hobby' etc. :tu:
FlippyPenguin
first-time poster

Posting for the first time because I have some points to make.

As to whether working til 5am is a big deal, I think that misses the point of the video, which is that we really don't know. If we assume it only happened rarely, well that's our assumption. Maybe it happened once a week, maybe it was once a month, maybe it was every other day. We don't know.

We don't know how many actual hours he worked in those 5am days. Maybe he started work at 7am, maybe he started at 7pm. I'd hazard a guess that it's closer to 7am. It's their brand to say they sleep in. It's also their brand to say that stay home all the time and they laze around playing video games all day. We know that's not true. And if they're running a business or two, well they have to keep pretty close to business hours and I imagine there are quite a few early morning meetings. Again, we don't know.

The vacation thing gets to me too. How many times do they communicate with us while on vacation? They film videos, they tweet, they do insta stories. That's work. And I don't mean just effort, I mean it's literally their job. I don't know about you, but when I take vacation I don't even think about my job, much less do any work. And insta stories may seem easy and quick and minimal effort, but for them they can't be. They can't just take a quick picture and throw some text on it. They have to closely consider everything they post. Especially pictures, especially considering this fandom zooms in on every detail and possible reflection. (I do it too, not judging here, just saying they have to consider that before posting).

My point is, how many times have they taken a vacation that was 100% a break from work?

Sorry for a long rant right off the bat. I really do enjoy this forum and appreciate everyone in it, even when I disagree.
stufflizloves
living flop

Phanshy wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:02 pm The reactions to him opening up about his feelings are probably a big reason why he doesn't very often, I think it's easy to look at someone's life from the outside and think it's easier or better than yours especially if they are rich and famous but to take it as a judgement on your own life is a bit over sensitive to me and seems like your looking to be offended.

I think a large part of Phil feeling like he isn't where he wants to be in his non work life is because of them not being out, so maybe it was hard to make friends they could trust and they put off buying a house together because it would out them.
I’m absolutely in this camp of thinking.

Also, on the topic of reactions: this could be imperfect logic, but i tend to think when the phandom has a strong negative reaction, sometimes it’s a counter-response to the “poor ickle delicate baby phil” reaction that tends to come every time D or P shares hardship. I think there is a general fatigue for treating them like porcelain dolls who make perfect decisions. I think it’s other people’s reactions that spark conflict rather than his words (phil never said FEEL BAD FOR ME, I am a poor millionaire! ..but i have seen some of those types of reactions. So I get the frustration there.)

I also see a lot of processing emotions—from sadness to confirmation to contentment—because Phil was more transparent than I think were all used to. to me, the reactions have been most similar to those from the mukbang video, ie people caught off guard by their candor.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

I'm also interested in how much other people had to push Phil to be more open, or if the impetus came from him. I'm someone in my personal life who really likes to stay upbeat and optimistic and be in control of my image as someone who is generally content and even keel. Obviously this isn't always the case, but in general I have been blessed with the ability to find joy in this world, so it's not like I'm being fake. But as I've gotten older I've seen the downside to this interpersonal dynamic -- it creates a distance between people when you are only choosing to show one side of yourself and it makes it easy for them over time to basically be disinterested in finding out more about you. Part of me likes this -- it's a basic control issue, really -- but it really can backfire and create misunderstandings and isolation.

Anyway, I'd really like to know if Dan or Martyn or someone else was like "Phil, you have to unbend just a tiny bit because you are just boxing yourself into an emotional corner and it won't end well."
greenergrass
stress mushroom

i look like a pencil wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:15 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:44 pm

...well yes of course I know that not everything is black and white and that obviously everyone has a different point of view/opinion, I was just staying that I very much disagree with the points you (again, general you, not trying to pick a fight) made lol. I was just taken aback by this reaction to Phil's video, but as you said everyone has/can have a different perspective, that's why we discuss things like this on here.
Okay I wasn't gonna respond because I've said pretty much everything I want to say about the topic, but I do want to say that though you're not picking a fight with anyone (which I'm also not trying to do) and you're allowed to disagree obviously (I encourage it), when you 'paraphrase' people's points in a way that completely takes everything in the previous discussions out of context and exaggerates those things to make a point then you're not really just objectively disagreeing on the points actually made
madzilla84
eclipse shirt

This is why I’ve enjoyed being a member here so much - I really enjoy the discussions, even the viewpoints I don’t necessarily agree with; they often give me fresh perspective either way. This has been a really interesting debate from all points of view - I admit, I hadn’t considered @phanshy’s excellent point about them not being out and therefore unable to take some of those steps they wanted to, like buying a house.

I also wonder if Phil didn’t look at what Dan was doing (and not doing) this year - he was working hard on his video, but he also took a long break from posting at all, trained for a marathon, got involved with protests and pride, and who knows what else that we didn’t see, whereas for Phil it was - minus a few small changes - business as usual on his channel this year. I’m not saying he doesn’t love doing it - he obviously does, hence his ‘I’d keep doing it even if no one watched’ comment, but maybe it contributed to his feeling of wanting more. Which is totally understandable.
blackbirddan.tumblr.com
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I know people work different hours, long hours, work hard and feel stressed. My original post was that I was surprised it's considered a common thing to work until 5am with the implicaiton that they started work way earlier than a usual 8-hour-shift would start. And I know some people eg doctors work 12-hour shifts. Dan and Phil have mentioned going to bed at 2am and getting up at midday, so sometimes, or often, working until 5am is a long day.

I wasn't talking about the point that they didn't have to gamble on Tatinof, but if they'd lost all that money, then that was all gone, so it was huge gamble.

Tbh this is more nitpicking than I'm here for.
Megancita75
ar·tic·u·late

Yeah, it would have been a more useful metric if Phil had said "I regularly work 100 hours a week" or something.
Pr1nc3ss_p3rdy
not a first-time poster

Dan's insta story! :happytears: The domesticity is killing me.
noodlebum
flower crown

OMG, dan's newest instastories....them researching and glueing pieces of wood and rock together to make the ultimate aquarium for their new pet rescue fish <3 As Phil's new hobby and way of getting a life :lol: oh bless, so funny and adorable all at once, I can't. Such cute dorks :rainbowtears:
Last edited by noodlebum on Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stufflizloves
living flop

oh unmmmm going to need to rewatch that instastory 25 times for..science.

i love then so much. “we.” so much “we.” i’m soft.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Okay look I'm just gonna indulge in this one emotional post but 'we're adopting' and 'made a big life decision without consulting me first' good god this really is gonna be the era of Dan and Phil just.......... opening up to us. No back tracking or side stepping in those statements, just a solid slap in the face of their life that they are living together.